Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > The site and forum
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The site and forum Place your comments about the Magic Ball Network here. Talk here about the Magicball Network and the forum.

Old 2013-09-07, 14:33
<3 MP

Well for one (although I doubt this will happen) screening each post is a bad idea. Since the mods could edit the post to their liking. In cases like this, the message that the OP originaly wanted to portray might become twisted and/or lose its meaning. Which in turn could just cause even more arguements since the OP could and most likely would become very upset about it.

Also, I agree with Battler about the new member who posted in Spanish. That member might have very easily have not understood the rules regarding this being an English only forum. A simple reply back to him in both English and Spanish (incase he only did speak Spanish) explaining the rules of the forum being an English only forum would have been a better solution instead of just closing the thread. For all we know, that person did speak English but maybe felt more comfortable speaking Spanish. The closing of the thread without giving the person a chance to understand the rules better wasn't fair to them.

Lastly, the whole jumping the gun thing... it just seems that when someone reports a post, only the reported post is looked at and then its decided whether or not the individula being reported will get infracted. What needs to be done is that Jesse, DF, or Kit need to go back to the thread from which the reported post took place and read the entire conversation that took place.
A reported post may look extremly offensive when it stands alone, but when the whole conversation in which it took place is read in its entirety, then the reported post might be more understandable and not look as bad as it was first perceived.

For example:
I call someone a "bitch n*gger" and then someone else reports it. As a reported post standing alone it seems offensive as hell right? So I could get an easy infraction.
But if the mods went back and read the thread that it was originally from they might see that whole thread was about derogatory names that have been used over the past century. Therefore makng what I said not so bad anymore. Meaning that the infraction I had recieved for it was completely unnecissary.

That's why I say that infracring someone just based off of what the reported post says isn't fair. A need to go back and read the entire conversation in which the post took place is a necessity.
Old 2013-09-07, 15:27
Polly parrot

I think they understand all that, there is no reason for the mods to be less smart than a member...
Old 2013-09-07, 15:48
<3 MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
I think they understand all that, there is no reason for the mods to be less smart than a member...
I never once said they were stupid. I dont think they are at all. I'm simply just stating my opinion based on what I've observed.
Old 2013-09-07, 16:04
Neko

We did read back that whole thread, spent lots of times explaining it to you and the infraction was even in hindsight fair.

However, nothing personal.
Old 2013-09-07, 17:28
New efforts! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler
First, one thread got closed simply because the original poster did not post in English. I (or someone else) remember the original post being in Spanish, and I could have translated it and acted as the person's interpreter and therefore give a nice welcome to the new member, but instead the thread was just closed, with a comment saying in English that he should speak English - something completely useless considering the original poster did not speak English at all and with the thread being closed, there was no way for someone who spoke both languages to be able to translate.
Well I do remember this very well and found it very rude. He just introduced himself in Spanish and his thread got closed. Coming from an European forum, that's lame. If you consider that you asked him "English please" in English also doesn't help, maybe he doesn't know English very well (or nothing at all) for him to get it and also for him to stay at the forums.

I know the rules say only English or original language + provided translation, but you didn't even give him a chance to do so. I (and Streggy if I remember correctly) went to his profile and told him in Spanish the same thing as the moderator who closed his thread.

Maybe I should post everything in Spanish and provide a Google translation....

This is my only real complain about the moderation so far.

Take a look at the blog!

LBA:LID Demo v1.0 HERE
Report bugs here! Thanks Alexfont!
----------------------------------------
Take a look at Vindish's mod!
Old 2013-09-07, 19:51
ffffff

yeah but... dude. it's an english-speaking forum. most forums don't even allow you to post in a foreign languages in general. posting in a foreign language on an english board makes it really difficult for moderators to do their job properly.

if i went onto a french-only message board and started posting in english i'd expect to be banned, let alone politely warned.
[21:53] <OBattler> i just don´t believe in behaving like either an animal
[21:53] <OBattler> or like adolf hitler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreGGy View Post
Opinions are like testicles, everyone has theirs - Those are my opinions and I have no fear to show them to you.
Quote:
but that's what it is, the troll is a rapist
a soul rapist

- Link, 2013
*~ Anakin ~ Mia ~ Rex_Hollywood ~ Jesse ~ Jasiek ~ Kitarii ~ Twinsan ~ BFFs 4 lYfE ~*
Old 2013-09-07, 23:45
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- A_LIPSTICK: I went onto a Polish-only forum and posted in English. The main Administrator himself gave me a nice welcome and thanked me for making his forum international.
Old 2013-09-08, 00:20
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
I agree with Battler. You were right, me and Necdilzor went streight to his wall for obvios reasons. (ronalito1 - the search member feature is awesome)
and yeah, that was possibly the rudest thing that could be done. Giving him a warning, keeping the thread open, giving someone the opportunity to translate his message and letting others welcome him would have been far more polite. I'm not surprised he's never come back.

I'm don't want to say anything like "mods suck a lot here", you guys are humans and you are also great peaple, but maybe you should think about your actions a little more.

Another thing that I don't like about this forum is that there is no thread with list of banned/warned users. Sometimes people are banned and nobody knows why, and there is ALWAYS someone asking why that user was banned and for how long (in a random thread). We're a community, and we aren't that many. We should have something like that.
Old 2013-09-08, 04:30
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streg View Post
Another thing that I don't like about this forum is that there is no thread with list of banned/warned users. Sometimes people are banned and nobody knows why, and there is ALWAYS someone asking why that user was banned and for how long (in a random thread). We're a community, and we aren't that many. We should have something like that.
Do this
Old 2013-09-08, 06:23
<3 MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
We did read back that whole thread, spent lots of times explaining it to you and the infraction was even in hindsight fair.

However, nothing personal.
That's old news. I'm not even referring to that thread in particular but to all things in general terms.
Old 2013-09-08, 17:06
Neko

Well the rules are pretty clear on the language. Its also weird to start a thread in a different language than the forum.
Old 2013-09-08, 19:12
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- Jesse: Yes, the rules are clear, but the way of enforcing the rules should still be kinder than the way the guy's thread was handled.
And yes, it's weird, just like it was weird for me to start that English thread in that Polish forum, but I was given a very warm welcome there and even thanked for making the forum international.
Your way of handling that thread is the same treatment I was myself given in Japanese-language Anime channel on irc.2ch.net, where I spoke in English, and was directly told to speak Japanese or get out. Believe me, I did not feel well after being treated like that.
Old 2013-09-09, 00:16
Idyllic + whimsical

What does "thank you for making the forum international" even mean?
Is it like Michelin stars? Is your forum fancier that way?
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2013-09-09, 16:51
Neko

I am not precious about this rule. As in: I don't have a preference for how it should be handled. Seems closing it and sending a pm to the threadstarter to suggest to write an english version of the thread instead makes the most sense.
Old 2013-09-09, 18:28
ffffff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
- Jesse: Yes, the rules are clear, but the way of enforcing the rules should still be kinder than the way the guy's thread was handled.
And yes, it's weird, just like it was weird for me to start that English thread in that Polish forum, but I was given a very warm welcome there and even thanked for making the forum international.
Your way of handling that thread is the same treatment I was myself given in Japanese-language Anime channel on irc.2ch.net, where I spoke in English, and was directly told to speak Japanese or get out. Believe me, I did not feel well after being treated like that.
who gives a shit? i could also give you an unsubstantiated anecdote that has nothing to do with this message board to prove any of my points. even if this has even a shred of truth in it (by the way i literally don't care if it does or not just in case you decide to put the effort into proving this) it literally does not matter because this is a different forum and it has pretty damn clear rules on this issue. don't like it? don't post here. jesus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_Hollywood View Post
What does "thank you for making the forum international" even mean?
Is it like Michelin stars? Is your forum fancier that way?
it means that he made a bunch of shit up to prove a point. you can tell because everyone in his little stories acts in a way that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Quote:
I am not precious about this rule. As in: I don't have a preference for how it should be handled. Seems closing it and sending a pm to the threadstarter to suggest to write an english version of the thread instead makes the most sense.
it does completely and these people are whiny.
[21:53] <OBattler> i just don´t believe in behaving like either an animal
[21:53] <OBattler> or like adolf hitler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreGGy View Post
Opinions are like testicles, everyone has theirs - Those are my opinions and I have no fear to show them to you.
Quote:
but that's what it is, the troll is a rapist
a soul rapist

- Link, 2013
*~ Anakin ~ Mia ~ Rex_Hollywood ~ Jesse ~ Jasiek ~ Kitarii ~ Twinsan ~ BFFs 4 lYfE ~*
Old 2013-09-09, 19:21
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Yay for being north korea!
Old 2013-09-09, 21:29
Welcome to Zirla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_LIPSTICK
don't like it? don't post here. jesus.
The same goes for you.

Quote:
it means that he made a bunch of shit up to prove a point. you can tell because everyone in his little stories acts in a way that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
That's the more ignorant logic I've ever seen. So because some event didn't happen the way you think it should have, it's automatically made up and false? Wow, just wow...

Quote:
it does completely and these people are whiny.
Says the one who whines about every single post that's not to her liking.
Also, it's quite lame to force English only on a forum about French games which are officially available in at least 5 languages.

Quote:
*~ Anakin ~ Mia ~ Rex_Hollywood ~ Jesse ~ BFFs 4 lYfE ~*
I think this signature perfectly sums up the problem with this forum. I'm sure surprised Jesse is friends with them, considering how much they shat on him in #lba a few months ago.

Last edited by Battler; 2013-09-09 at 21:37.
Old 2013-09-09, 21:46
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
The same goes for you.

That's the more ignorant logic I've ever seen. So because some event didn't happen the way you think it should have, it's automatically made up and false? Wow, just wow...

Also, it's quite lame to force English only on a forum about French games which are officially available in at least 5 languages.

I think this signature perfectly sums up the problem with this forum. I'm sure surprised Jesse is friends with them, considering how much they shat on him in #lba a few months ago.
Sums up about 90% of what I think. Nice job Battler

Last edited by marcosmapf; 2013-09-10 at 01:44.
Old 2013-09-09, 21:52
Neko

Quote:
The same goes for you.

I guess she likes it here then if she keeps up the posting. She isn't complaining always about everything, like you.

And yes, I am friends with her, so what? I'm friends with link, polly, bot13, Kasia and will not hestitate to ban any of them. Even if my personal opinion is affected I can count on kit or df to make the judgement for me.

You are making two mistakes:
1. Implying personal favorism from me
2. Being incredibly overly sensitive.

You report stuff as flaming that isn't even flaming. Yet when sgk calls somebody a full retard you don't care, as he is on your side most of the time. Ever heard of projection? You are projecting your own characteristics onto me. I don't let friendship define my modding.

Let me spell it out, a harsh opinion is allowed. Otherwise you simply cannot debate. You can't call someone a moron however. See the distiction?
Old 2013-09-09, 22:06
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Quote:

You report stuff as flaming that isn't even flaming. Yet when sgk calls somebody a full retard you don't care, as he is on your side most of the time. Ever heard of projection? You are projecting your own characteristics onto me. I don't let friendship define my modding.
gotta agree here. battler takes mbn "politics" more seriously than anyone else here. it's all about "allies" and "enemies" with him, he practically admitted it himself on #lba once. this of course makes him a huge hypocrite.
Old 2013-09-09, 22:16
Welcome to Zirla!

- Jesse: Harsh opinions about subjects are not a problem. Harsh opinions about people though, are ad hominem attack and should be avoided in proper debate. It is the message that should be debated, not the messenger.

Quote:
The reason why I don't care in SpaceGuitarist's case is because I only report when I am personally offended. It is not for me to judge whether there is offense involved in the cause of someone else getting insulted.

Quote:
2. Being incredibly overly sensitive.
Listen, it is my decision what I will take offense to and what I will not. This forum should strive for unity in diversity, and the Moderators should ensure everyone has a comfortable experience here.
And yes, maybe I am overly sensitive, but I was bullied for all of my adolescence, and the posts like A_LIPSTICK's, just remind me of that bullying.
Sorry but, after being bullied for all of my adolescence, at least in my adulthood I'd like to be table to talk to people without having to deal with accusations and insults.

Quote:
Ever heard of projection? You are projecting your own characteristics onto me. I don't let friendship define my modding.
My own characteristics? What do you even know about how I would moderate? You've never been on any forum or IRC channel/network I ran, so how do you know how I moderate?
Old 2013-09-09, 22:18
Welcome to Zirla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reek
gotta agree here. battler takes mbn "politics" more seriously than anyone else here. it's all about "allies" and "enemies" with him, he practically admitted it himself on #lba once. this of course makes him a huge hypocrite.
Considering the harshness of A_LIPSTICK's posts, I'd say she takes stuff even more seriously. I mean she basically waits in the bushes for the perfect chance to insult me and accuse me of lying and making up stuff.
Old 2013-09-09, 22:34
Idyllic + whimsical

Quote:
I'm sure surprised Jesse is friends with them, considering how much they shat on him in #lba a few months ago.
Hmm?
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2013-09-09, 22:39
Polly parrot

Quote:
...and will not hestitate to ban any of them.
I thought we had something speciaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal
Old 2013-09-09, 22:45
Neko

I am not talking about how you would mod. I am saying that your personal fight with lipstick and anakin is the only reason you smear their rep and try to get them banned. You don't really care if other people misbehave. But when lipstick says something unfriendly to someone else, YOU attack her! You let personal stuff intervene in your assesment of what is going on here, I don't.

You could be my best friend and lipstick could be my bully, but I would still judge the same.

Quote:
- Jesse: Harsh opinions about subjects are not a problem. Harsh opinions about people though, are ad hominem attack and should be avoided in proper debate. It is the message that should be debated, not the messenger.

The reason why I don't care in SpaceGuitarist's case is because I only report when I am personally offended. It is not for me to judge whether there is offense involved in the cause of someone else getting insulted.

Listen, it is my decision what I will take offense to and what I will not. This forum should strive for unity in diversity, and the Moderators should ensure everyone has a comfortable experience here.
And yes, maybe I am overly sensitive, but I was bullied for all of my adolescence, and the posts like A_LIPSTICK's, just remind me of that bullying.
Sorry but, after being bullied for all of my adolescence, at least in my adulthood I'd like to be table to talk to people without having to deal with accusations and insults.

My own characteristics? What do you even know about how I would moderate? You've never been on any forum or IRC channel/network I ran, so how do you know how I moderate?