Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and it's world.

Old 2013-06-16, 21:51
Magic Level: Fire Ball

I didn't know it was so different... I guess that new projects shouldn't be started in classic VB then
Old 2013-06-16, 22:01
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
The thing is, I don't know VB.NET... to be honest, I don't know any programming language as well as I know classic Visual Basic, at least as far as writing Windows GUI programs is concerned (I do know and even prefer C/C++ when writing console programs these days). I'm considering learning how to make C and C++ Windows GUI programs, but it will take quite some time before I master it.
Old 2013-06-16, 22:08
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Yeah, I understand your problem, programming languages are sadly not "immortal". Well, at least most of them are not (C/C++ are getting close). That's why a good programmer's job is to always learn newer and newer languages.
Old 2013-06-27, 11:11
Banned

Thumbs Up

Yay!
Old 2013-06-27, 12:10
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
The thing is, I don't know VB.NET... to be honest, I don't know any programming language as well as I know classic Visual Basic, at least as far as writing Windows GUI programs is concerned (I do know and even prefer C/C++ when writing console programs these days). I'm considering learning how to make C and C++ Windows GUI programs, but it will take quite some time before I master it.
Move to another language, no one uses VB this days. Its really rare someone needs such a programmer. Most of them hate VB actually.
If you want something like VB for Windows GUI, don't go into VB.net, switch completely to C# and you will love it.

As if you want to go beyond Windows you should stick with C++.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2017-05-03, 16:52
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
LBA 2 Saved Game Editor version 1.7.0
=====================================

New features:
- Replaced compression algorithm with a DLL based on the code from Adeline Software International, increases speed;
- You can now edit the life points.

Current features:
- Loading, editing, and saving LBA 2 saved games;
- Editing a lot of things - from the area code to inventory, Twinsen's properties (life, magic, kashes, etc.), holomap data, and even images;
- Currently can only export images to .BMP, but can also import from .GIF, .JPG, .DIB, etc.;
- Compression on saving modified compressed saved games.

Things to do:
- Editing more things, such as the game flags;
- Exporting images to formats, other than .BMP;
- Dumping the saved games to some ASCII format.

How this program works
----------------------
You load a LBA 2 saved game. The program will automatically load it and show the values. The various tabs represtend the various parts of the saved game.
When modifying the inventory items, be careful that for enabling a second-level item, such as the Blowtron, you also have to enable its first-level base item, in this case, the Blowgun. And you also needs to enable the Crystal of the Celebration, before changing it to either the PistoLaster without the Crystal, or the working PistoLaser.
If a button or check box is disabled, this means that either it's a countable inventory item, and thus you need to change it in form of its count from the "Other data" part, or you can't modify this item at all.
If you want to import an image, the image has to only use the colors that are in the LBA 2 palette. The best thing would be to import an 256-color image that uses the LBA 2 palette.
When you're done modifying what you want to modify, save the file either to its current location or to a new location (which can only be an external model file).

Credits
-------
Me (Battler): for starting the program and general coding.
Alexandre Fontoura (XesF): LBA 2 saved game format specification.
Kazimierz Król (Zink): uncompression and compression code.

Links
-----
The program: http://citadel.rol.im/lba2sge.rar.
The source code: http://citadel.rol.im/lba2sge_source.rar.

No new revision of the LBA 2 Saved Game format specification with this version of the LBA 2 Saved Game Editor, because I need to find the old one first before I can updade it.

Screenshot
-----------
No screenshot because this version is almost exactly the same as version 1.6.0 in appearance.

And yes, version 1.7.0 is still written in Visual Basic 6, in 2017. However, it's tested and working on Windows 10 Version 1703 (Creator Edition). I'll see about releasing a version 2.0.0 written in C (which is the language I currently know best) but no promises.
And I forgot to remove Zink's credit for the compression code (since I no longer use his) but ah well, without it this program wouldn't have been possible in the first place so it can stay.

Last edited by Battler; 2017-05-03 at 16:58.
Old 2017-05-03, 18:11
the legend

Nice!
Old 2017-05-06, 21:51
Magic Ball Master

That's great, thanks for working on a new version and for sharing.

If you manage to find something new to the format, please make sure to update http://lbafileinfo.kazekr.net/index....=LBA2:Savegame

Note: you have to run the app in Administrator mode.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.

Old 2017-05-07, 15:13
Polly parrot

Nice
Old 2017-05-11, 01:40
Magic Ball Master

Battler, can you make a new version of the EditorFile3D?
When trying to use in LBA2 and select an entry in the list is crashes with error "Invalid property value".
Same happen if you change Entities.

Old 2017-05-20, 15:50
FreemanQC

Send a message via MSN to gravel22
That's crazy the LBA community on all aspects is on stamina
Little Big Adventure Former World Record Holder (53:40:80) see on Twitch below

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Old 2017-05-26, 18:27
Welcome to Zirla!

- xesf: I'll looking into that editor... if I can find its source code again. I admit that I completely forgot I even made that, so who knows where the source code is.

Edit: Just found it.

Also, if anyone needs, I can resume work on something I never finished, that is, a program to edit the Kanji font of Japanese LBA 1. It might be useful if someone wants to translate LBA 1 into Chinese or Korean (or even something wackier such as Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs or even Cuneiform ).
Old 2017-05-26, 22:22
Magic Ball Master

thats greay. That one will be a great help.