Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > First aid
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

First aid The forum for getting help to run or complete the LBA games. Note: could contain spoilers.

Old 2018-04-14, 20:37
Magic Ball Master

LBA 1&2 on Win10 / Peixoto's Patch / CD Copy Questions

Hi All,

I've been trying to get LBA 1 & 2 to run on my Windows 10 machine, and while both work, there are some inconveniences that I'd like to fix (if possible).
  1. While both LBA 1 & 2 run in Windows 10 for me, the biggest issue is the screen resolution. I can't seem to find a way to force scaling. I've been using LBAWin with LBA 1, and LBA 2 runs in compatibility mode just fine. The problem is that I end up with a 640x480 display that is surrounded by empty black space. I've tried forcing a larger resolution/upscaling through the AMD GPU software, but no luck. Is there any way I could force these games to output to a custom resolution (preferably 4K)?
  2. PCGamingWiki is one of my favorite sites for solving most game-related issues. They recommend installing "Peixoto's Patch" for both LBA 1 and 2, which seems to be a wholesale set of patch files for a number of different (older) titles. Has anyone used this with success? If so, it may solve my previous question, since it seems to offer a number of improvements to make the games playable on modern systems.
  3. Lastly, I've been trying to make copies of my LBA 1&2 CDs to avoid any more wear and tear on the discs. I could buy the GOG/Steam versions, sure, but ideally I would like to make clones of these discs. I seems to be running into issues though because the discs are 'mixed media' and so some of the copy software I have used doesn't seem to make an exact 1:1 copy. What software do you recommend using and what is the best way to create exact 1:1 copies of these discs for use without CDs? Or is it possible to copy the disc contents into a file directory and then direct the game(s) to look there?

Thanks very much for your assistance!

-- DJ
Old 2018-04-15, 13:19
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J
While both LBA 1 & 2 run in Windows 10 for me, the biggest issue is the screen resolution. I can't seem to find a way to force scaling. I've been using LBAWin with LBA 1, and LBA 2 runs in compatibility mode just fine. The problem is that I end up with a 640x480 display that is surrounded by empty black space. I've tried forcing a larger resolution/upscaling through the AMD GPU software, but no luck. Is there any way I could force these games to output to a custom resolution (preferably 4K)?
The games are hardcoded to 640x480, to use anything different you need to somehow obtain their source code, and rewrite them for the new resolution.

Quote:
PCGamingWiki is one of my favorite sites for solving most game-related issues. They recommend installing "Peixoto's Patch" for both LBA 1 and 2, which seems to be a wholesale set of patch files for a number of different (older) titles. Has anyone used this with success? If so, it may solve my previous question, since it seems to offer a number of improvements to make the games playable on modern systems.
It seems to hack things on top of LBAWin and FunnyFrog-patched LBA 2, and in the latter case, it also seems to only supports the European version of LBA 2.
I recommend running LBA 2 on an emulator instead, you won't need FunnyFrog's patch, and as such, you spare yourself all the bugs caused by it (such as the non-steering car and the wizards' freeing scene being messed up).

Quote:
Lastly, I've been trying to make copies of my LBA 1&2 CDs to avoid any more wear and tear on the discs. I could buy the GOG/Steam versions, sure, but ideally I would like to make clones of these discs. I seems to be running into issues though because the discs are 'mixed media' and so some of the copy software I have used doesn't seem to make an exact 1:1 copy. What software do you recommend using and what is the best way to create exact 1:1 copies of these discs for use without CDs? Or is it possible to copy the disc contents into a file directory and then direct the game(s) to look there?
Get Alcohol 120% and dump them into MDS/MDF, or even better, CUE/BIN. Then use Alcohol 120% the mount the resulting images (or you can mount them directly in most emulators if CUE/BIN).
Old 2018-04-16, 02:40
Polly parrot

I'd say Daemon tools can make an image of your discs, which you can they either mount or copy.
Old 2018-04-24, 03:37
Magic Ball Master

Thank you Battler for the detailed advice; using your recommendations, I was able to get things running properly.

Polly, I totally forgot about Daemon tools but that is a good tip, too!
Old 2018-06-15, 11:59
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
If you got the games running properly then maybe there's no need, but personally I prefer just sticking to the steam versions, which cost next to nothing and don't require any tinkering. (Plus they exist on the cloud so I don't need to worry about backing them up - For the life of me I couldn't tell you where my original LBA cds are nowadays, pretty sure they're not in existence anymore)
Old 2018-09-09, 07:24
Magic Level: Fire Ball

I'm not sure how the modern AMD settings look but it should have something like this