Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > The site and forum
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The site and forum Place your comments about the Magic Ball Network here. Talk here about the Magicball Network and the forum.

Old 2011-08-14, 11:00
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
A hospital :P (even then though...if trains can have wifi....)
Old 2011-08-15, 02:30
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

Hospitals could have it interfere with their equipment (allegedly).
And gave it a name, so then it wasn't mine
Old 2011-08-15, 02:39
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
hey i'm in italy and you don't get so much free wifi. I only saw that once in a burger king I think. But internet for mobiles doesn't cost much either, if you really need it
Old 2011-08-15, 13:38
Magic Level: Red Ball

Send a message via ICQ to ras maxim
Hello, Darkfalme. I watched Dennou Coil recently and now reckognize the character on your avatar.
Old 2011-08-15, 14:24
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia View Post
Hospitals could have it interfere with their equipment (allegedly).
Trust me, if bluetooth headsets get static because of cordless phones in the next house over, I don't want any wireless devices near the machines keeping me alive.
Old 2011-08-15, 15:29
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
On the other hand, just like with airplanes, if they are really that sensitive, surely they should be insulated better?
Should our safety really depend on any random person turning their phone off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras maxim View Post
Hello, Darkfalme. I watched Dennou Coil recently and now reckognize the character on your avatar.
good stuff
I thought it was a fitting character for a mod.
Old 2011-08-18, 21:43
Polly parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
much. Turned out to probably be a type of pneumonia, but antibiotics cleared it up.
That seems even more hardcore than the salmonella I had a month ago...

Welcome back
Old 2011-08-27, 23:17
World Designer: Colozen

Send a message via MSN to DarkOnistar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
On the other hand, just like with airplanes, if they are really that sensitive, surely they should be insulated better?
Should our safety really depend on any random person turning their phone off?
I was once given a lecture by my local hospital; by a biomedical engineer (They design systems specific for equipment for hospitals or the human body).

Modern technology is better insulated and we pay more attention to what travels in the air, but what about old technology? Also if failure occurs its likely that it will be blamed on interference so why not try to remove it entirely.

You can try and make a system ignore a signal, but if you don't know what to ignore then it makes it harder as there are more things adding complications.
- The same discussion about interference is discussed the same way about planes.

Speaking of interference I noticed in my room that my wifi (USB adapter) will trip out when: I turn off/on my fan or turn on/off my Dyson vacuum-cleaner.
Mobile phone would be one on the list, but its designed to work for the system so it can ignore it - I only notice the effects of my mobile if its near speakers or headphones.

Now imagine instead of my wifi, it was a machine automatically adjusting the rate of ??? (something important) trips out or goes faulty, the danger can lead to death.
I've been watching 'Air crash investigation' and simple displays that don't cause harm could lead to harm if read wrong. Who is to say the danger of human error can't exist within hospital too as well as in planes. For instance a monitor shows a graph of a patient going into decline (bad sign) so the doctors correct it, when it false readings.. when make a healthy patient worse.
Lord of the rings / LBA2 Spoof videos
Old 2011-08-28, 11:14
Classic

Well, to start with the hospital did allow mobile phones, so the type of speaker interface you get of sms messages shouldn't matter.

Stuff like dysons and speakers have huge electromagnet coils to drive the membrain and moters, so I'm pretty sure they both cause and are sensantive to more things. (fun expirement; ruin a CRT screen by keeping a massive speaker next too it too long :P)

My overall point (I think) remains though - if these things really are dangerous, then why do we allow their use on planes or in hospitals at all. If theres any life-sensitive equipment (old) still in use, then either these things can or cant interfere. Surely its easy to test...and if so, then either the cause of the interferance or the equipment shouldnt be used. Ditto for airplanes.
I mean, we worry about just about everything else going on airplanes these days. Chemicals, non-transparent liquids....toothpicks. :P
Old 2011-08-28, 14:38
World Designer: Colozen

Send a message via MSN to DarkOnistar
Mobile phone technology wasn't really around back then to have planes or hospital equipment tested.

We still use old equipment; and the cost of having everything replaced and tested isn't really feasible (well maybe it is.. but companies don't want to spend money for no real returns back), so its simpler to just ban possible causes.

Modern technology is built and tested, but the concern is mainly aimed at old equipment. On Mythbusters they apparently tested this interference on a modern plane and had only managed to make a LCD screen flicker (or so I'm told - I've got to find the episode to find out).
Lord of the rings / LBA2 Spoof videos
Old 2011-09-24, 02:51
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
Hehe, nice to see Atresica posting again. Hello!

Tags
illness, pneumonia