Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2014-01-08, 18:58
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Its metaphorically like distorting space I guess.
I think its somewhat related to how airplanes fly; They create high pressure below their wings, low above, creating a lift upwards.
I guess this uses sound to achieve the same thing.
Yea, that makes a lot of sense
Old 2014-01-26, 01:22
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
I urge everyone to look at this site;

http://www.cyberdyne.jp/english/

You can use google/chrome translate to convert from Japanese.
(I have posted them before, but they have updated and its all a lot clearer now)

You can laugh at their name, but this is AMAZING work.
Essentially allowing people to walk again by using exoskeletons.

Battery life is limited, but even so, if you lost the use of your legs, wouldn't you like to walk at least an hour or so a day?
They can also be used to train people to get stronger on their own.
Old 2014-01-26, 01:45
Polly parrot

Impressive... Very impressive.
Heh, they called the product type "HAL"
Old 2014-01-26, 08:49
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
cyberdyne? have they begun work on skynet yet?
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2014-01-26, 16:12
Magic Ball Master

This is very, very cool. It must be horrible to those who lost their moviment to watch others walking, but this brings up a new hope to them
Old 2014-01-26, 17:51
!!!!!

That's awesome. Btw, the Israelis did it first: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=424UCSN3Fjg
Old 2014-01-26, 19:36
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
That's awesome. Btw, the Israelis did it first: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=424UCSN3Fjg
Also very cool.
How much to rent?

(The Cyberdyne one is about 2000euros a year, plus 5000 one of set up/tutorial.
Which really isn't that bad for a hospital etc to rent a few)
Old 2014-01-26, 20:14
Magic Ball Master

I'd tottaly rent it if I had lost the movement of my legs. The price is very cheap considering you will finnaly be able to move "with your own legs" again.
Old 2014-02-07, 10:13
Lemonhead

Have you used Bitcoin / what is your opinion of it?

I've followed its developments for around a year and a half now. Since then the value of a Bitcoin has soared to unbelievable heights, making me a multi-millionaire in just the space of a few months. Sadly, that last part isn't true, because I am devoid of all foresight. However it is true for thousands of early adopters, and an increasing number of people are turning to it as an investment. It seems even serious real-world economists can't come to an absolute consensus on where it's headed, because Bitcoin is such a novel platform. Most seem to think it's a fad, but there are genuine projections giving it a price of US$10,000 just a year or so down the line. However that doesn't fit with the current trend which at best is a lull and more likely a gradual decline in value.

In a, "YEAH!! FUCK THE GOVERNMENT!" sort of way, I admire the communal approach and revolutionary spirit. I'm skeptical, though, that Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies will amount to more than a novelty outside the world of crime; and should the legitimate market desert it, it will no longer be an effective asset store for criminals anyway. I'm not going to invest in something so unpredictable in any case, because I don't have the disposable income to take such a risk. But on a more fundamental level, can Bitcoin truly become a viable alternative to real-world currencies? I really, really, really, doubt it, and I'm at a loss to explain why it has been so successful thus far.

After all, besides anonymity in transactions (and all the associated fraud and crime), and a totally unregulated marketplace (and the associated volatility in price), what does Bitcoin really bring to the table? And it's this vaccum of purpose that seems to be responsible for the slow uptake of stores accepting Bitcoin. Or is it just that old lack of foresight of mine rearing its ugly, penniless head again?

PS: Whether or not this belongs here depends on your definition of hi-tech. I suppose we can start a new topic if anybody is interested. I searched but couldn't find anything.
The creatures arranged in a line and started to rape Twinsen in his anus, one by one.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras maxim View Post
P.S. Forgot to mention that Twinsen's remains were fed to dogs.
Spoiler:
Quote:
O.K., let's change the execution part. Maybe he was just beaten to death with clubs???

Last edited by Jast; 2014-02-07 at 10:29. Reason: typos
Old 2014-02-07, 11:15
Polly parrot

What's bitcoin ?
*goes on google*
What is that ? I still don't get it... Some kind of internet money ? Like the currency inside some games (for example Riot Points for League of Legends) ?
Old 2014-02-07, 11:46
Lemonhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
What's bitcoin ?
*goes on google*
What is that ? I still don't get it... Some kind of internet money ? Like the currency inside some games (for example Riot Points for League of Legends) ?
It's essentially a completely made up currency, yes, but bought and sold freely online. Individual bitcoins are created by using processing power to crack encryption keys, in a process called mining. Anyone can mine but these days you more or less need a farm of servers to generate your own bitcoins, because the process gets harder as more coins are mined. There are 21 billion (I think) bitcoins that can ever be mined, but bitcoins can be broken down to unlimited decimal points in both directions. Once a coin has been mined, it can be spend by sending it to another person's bitcoin address. Bitcoin addresses are randomly generated, and they're the only identifying marks in a transaction - the address it came from, and the address it was sent to. This means that unless there's a seperate record of who made the transaction or what they bought/sold, you're safe from the prying eyes of the government, which is one of the main draws.

This is just a really rough summary though, here is a good FAQ with better explanations: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/FAQ

In late 2012 the price for 1 bitcoin was around $9 from memory. It kept rising to $14, $24 and so on until the price reached about $144... then $260 ish.. and then in November it just exploded to $1000 almost overnight. So this has generated quite a conversation in geek circles on the future of Bitcoin and similar projects, and even the future of money in general. It also made a handful of people very rich, at least 'on paper.' For instance in 2010 somebody bought 2 pizzas for 10,000 bitcoins. Today that would be worth around $8.5 million. That's some expensive pizza.
The creatures arranged in a line and started to rape Twinsen in his anus, one by one.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Spoiler:
Quote:
O.K., let's change the execution part. Maybe he was just beaten to death with clubs???

Last edited by Jast; 2014-02-07 at 11:58.
Old 2014-02-07, 12:14
Polly parrot

So it cannot be used to buy things, only from people willing to buy bitcoins if I get it ? And a value of such a... "file" is given by the time it took to generate it ?
Old 2014-02-07, 12:57
Classic

Bitcoin is;

* A very clever algorithm

* A way for people that were early in the currancy to get rich by doing absolutely nothing, other then waste electricity.
(A little like a pyamid scheme in that way)

* Currently impossible for anyone else to get rich of bitcoins the same way (legally) as it costs more in electricity then the bitcoins generated are now worth. However, some people have made malware botnets to use other computers machines to mine for them.

* Bitcoin solves some issues with traditional currency;

---Its more secure then most internet forms of payment, certainly credit card/paypal

---More bitcoins cant be printed by governments to manipulate their debts to be worth less. (This is called Quanative Easing - The UK and US do it and imho, its theft - by printing more money you make everyone else's worth less....your stealing value from those you owe money too)

However;

--- Bitcoin is much harder to trace. "Yeah No government!" groups dont seem to realise how tracing cash benefits us all. Just about any money used in criminal activity can be traced with normal currency's and returned to the victims of that crime.
With Bitcoin "Money Laundering" wouldn't even be nesscery.
I can appricate anti-government centiment in the face of spying recently, as well as the finicial collapse. But Tracing money (unlike reading emails) has messurable benifits.

--- Mining is stupid. Your rewarding people for wasting electricity.

--- Bitcoin is someone dependant on a predictable rate of computer power growth. Some future developments might mess that up.

--- If Google or Amazon wanted too, they could dominate the remaining mining.

========

Overall my view is theres a push away from traditional currency's rather then anything that great about bitcoin. Its a clever system that was there at the right time...but its far from perfect.
Old 2014-02-07, 13:04
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
So it cannot be used to buy things, only from people willing to buy bitcoins if I get it ? And a value of such a... "file" is given by the time it took to generate it ?
Theres a few online stores taking bitcoins, but nothing major yet.

And sort of.
Its basically discovering "magic numbers". You might get lucky and discovery one early, but statistically, yeah, the longer you mine the more you will find.
Old 2014-02-07, 14:24
Magic Ball Master

I tried to mine bitcoins once but I just couldn't figure out how to set up everything to make it work
Old 2014-02-07, 14:31
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

There were a couple of cases of drug-dealing websites accepting Bitcoins. There was a case of someone stealing a lot of Bitcoins from one of these websites and although some people managed to trace where the money was going and a lot of transfers through accounts because of the anonymity even if they could trace exactly who had it they couldn't get it back because who knew they had it?

I've heard Bitcoin described as "Open Source" currency, but I feel like open source doesn't necessarily equal a good thing.
And gave it a name, so then it wasn't mine
Old 2014-02-07, 14:54
Classic

Well, its good and bad.
Generally the idea of open source is "all the flaws are visible" and so can be corrected/improved quicker.
--
Anyway, a non-bitcoin related thing;
https://www.mcgill.ca/newsroom/chann...t-break-232659
Flexible glass!
Old 2014-02-07, 23:33
Classic

Really neat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=o5_kkvaIpiM

I can see this being usefull for shops especially.
Old 2014-02-08, 01:00
Lemonhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Really neat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=o5_kkvaIpiM

I can see this being usefull for shops especially.
Interesting, how does it compensate real-time for the uneasiness of the human hand, and going back where it has already printed?
Spoiler:
Quote:
Spoiler:
Quote:
Old 2014-02-08, 02:20
Classic

Well, it has to have some movement compensation indeed.
At first I thought maybe like a optical mouse, and it simply stops printing till you move to the exact right place.
Not sure if that's accurate enough though.
Old 2014-02-08, 02:43
Magic Ball Master

That thing is realy cool, but it probably works very, very badly on non-flat surfaces...
Old 2014-02-08, 11:09
Polly parrot

Neat indeed !
Old 2014-03-11, 20:29
Polly parrot

Aritficial heart membrane makes hearts beat forever ! (Not a cheesy love story)

This reminds me two things, mainly.
1 : PLEASE, I WANT TO BE IMMORTAL !!
2 : The way humans in the future wil probably be like. A lot of books and movies think that AIs and robots would become more and more human, until the distinction would be blurred out. I think that more and more artificial organs will be developped, until we end up with something similar to the ship of Theseus.
Old 2014-03-12, 12:44
Classic

I saw that story, incredibly cool indeed.

Did you know though, you dont actually need a beating heart?
Humans can survive just fine with a turbine instead:

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/ns...e-a-heart.html

Now, the downside there is its not organic - but the turbins continuously flow might well be better for the body as it probably causes less were then a pulse.

Quote:
until we end up with something similar to the ship of Theseus.
Indeed.
Its also the only way I feel we could "load ourselves into a computer". Sci-fis often depict a "magic" uploading device.
I think in reality though, replacing the brain a little bit at a time with a decent replica would be the only way to "stay you".
Old 2014-03-12, 12:58
Polly parrot

Waow...

I would so much troll out doctors, their faces when measuring my blood pressure

Tags
augmented reality, awesomeness, esa, future, hi-tech, mars, nasa, robotics, sci-fi, science, skylon, space, spaceplane, tech, technology