Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2014-11-02, 22:27
!!!!!

Fight Aging fundraiser

I debated this among myself for a while, and eventually decided to make a thread here for that anyway.

So: There's a fundraiser for the SENS Foundation, and each dollar you donate before end 2014 will be tripled.

SENS Foundation is an organization funded by a man named Aubrey de Grey, that has set a goal for itself to cure the disease that is aging. I suggest watching his speech on TED: http://www.ted.com/talks/aubrey_de_g...an_avoid_aging - it's old (from 2006) but I think still relevant. Among other things he explains why aging is a disease and why people who say we shouldn't try to cure it are wrong.

I gotta be honest, I have no knowledge in this science at all, but what he says seems convincing and he really is enthusiastic about this research. I may be gullible for donating to this, but if there's even a tiny bit of chance they will develop a treatment for aging, it's worth it. There's no reason to think it's impossible - in the last 100 years we achieved much more impossible things than that. I'm being pretty selfish about this btw, whether or not this will be good for humanity I just really want a chance to have that treatment one day.

See https://www.fightaging.org/fund-research/ for donating.

Their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/sensf
Old 2014-11-02, 23:11
strange dreamer

Well... I don't know.

Animals and insects age, even in their healthiest lifestyles in the most perfect of habitats in which they've evolved for thousands of years. Therefore, I can't see how ageing can be called a "disease". I'm sure there are ways to extend our lifespan though.

Also something you should question yourself is whether you really do want to hang around in this world for as long as a thousand years? think of it, surely if we only live once, okay, that might sound great (unless you turn insane with time, hah); but - if that knowledge of living once is wrong and reeincarnation does exist, you might only be wrecking your own progress, since living multiple lifes would be far more experiencing than just one for too long.

Just providing food for though here, no intentions to collide on anyone's beliefs or anything...

PS: the best anti-ager is how you see yourself and how you think.
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2014-11-03, 00:02
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Fair point about reincarnation, but then, I am happy with my current body :P
It would be like hanging around a early level to explore more throughly.

Eventually suicide is always an option if you get bored (religions be damned).

The only problem with removing or (much much more realistically) slowing down aging is population growth issues.
But people that live longer don't effect that nearly as badly as people that have more then 2.1 kids (or whatever the replacement population is). Ones an exponential growth, the other linear.

Anyway, as for Grey, I have long supported is work. I think he is wildly optimistic, but also has the right idea. Try to fight the things that cause the body to wear away. (this has the side effect that people are healthier for longer, not just old for longer).

Its a shame that immortality, or even life extension, has been somewhat drilled into people as being a bad thing. So many science fictions depict it as being immoral or bad. No. Things are only bad if they harm others. Nothing wrong with living longer unless it costs others lives to do so.
Old 2014-11-03, 13:40
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Grey isnt the only one working on this, might be worth looking at these guys too;
http://www.calicolabs.com

Theres a few small companies already backing them. Google. Apple. minor folks.
Old 2014-11-03, 17:41
!!!!!

That whole incarnation thing doesn't add up in my mind, so it's not an issue as far as I'm concerned.

What Darkf said about committing suicide: I dunno. On one hand, everyone would prefer living till they're 90 years old and being young till the end over living till they're 90 years old and aging while doing it. But on the other hand no one will want to commit suicide either. And forcing people to commit suicide would turn this from suicide to execution.

Still there are plenty of ways to die other than aging.

I say: We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Maybe we'll have unlimited energy and plenty of space stations and colonies on Mars and shit. Who knows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Grey isnt the only one working on this, might be worth looking at these guys too;
http://www.calicolabs.com

Theres a few small companies already backing them. Google. Apple. minor folks.
Good, competition is good.
Old 2014-11-03, 18:24
Classic

Quote:
But on the other hand no one will want to commit suicide either. And forcing people to commit suicide would turn this from suicide to execution.
Your not forcing them too.
But if the argument is "I don't want to live forever because I'll get bored" then its a fair choice for people to have. If you no longer die naturally, I think the social stigma of suicide would go.
I mean, I guess if "immortally" littoraly means, thousands or hundreds of thousands of years,( if thats ever possible.) Then becoming immortal would I think be resigning yourself to committing suicide at some point. But I think that would be a worthwhile exchange.

Quote:
I say: We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Maybe we'll have unlimited energy and plenty of space stations and colonies on Mars and shit. Who knows.
My attitude as well. Humanities going to need to leave earth anyway to survive, this makes little difference.
I suspect getting off earth will be the easier challange too. Life extension a bit is easy, a lot is hard. So I think by the time its a problem getting into space will already be easier.

Despite tragic setbacks in recent weeks theres been a lot of very positive moves towards space exploration.
Skylon will hopefully help getting humans to orbit a lot more cheaply.

Quote:
Good, competition is good.
Indeed.
I would hope though its competition in the sense of "a race to see who finds the answer first" rather then competition as in "we will both patent the shit out of it then sue eachother for 10 years".

Hard to say really.
Old 2014-11-03, 18:53
!!!!!

Quote:
I guess if "immortally" littoraly means, thousands or hundreds of thousands of years,( if thats ever possible.) Then becoming immortal would I think be resigning yourself to committing suicide at some point.
I don't think so. At some point we'll increase the physical capacity of our brains, which would start an exponential growth, and even if not - if the brain stays young and healthy, no reason you should get bored of life. Our current lifespan is VERY short. A century is nothing.

Anyway I'm pretty sure all that is irrelevant and always will be. The future will be beyond our wildest imagination... so all this speculation is pretty ridiculous.

Quote:
I would hope though its competition in the sense of "a race to see who finds the answer first" rather then competition as in "we will both patent the shit out of it then sue eachother for 10 years".
That would sure be annoying.
Old 2014-11-03, 20:53
strange dreamer

Considering this forum (as well as all of internet) is some sort of time capsule... if some immortal dude from the future is reading this thread from his home in Mars laughing at our predictions of the future, I want to say to him, "you are the guy who's living the life that is supposedly beyond our wildest imagination - I damn well hope you're happy about that and won't become some sad loser."
Old 2014-11-03, 21:04
Neko

Chaos: doesnt matter if you do not believe in reincarnation, reincarnation believes in you

About the thread, i would loooove to delay aging if it means the period 0-40 is stretched. Otherwise, imagine you get to be 300 but by 60 you are already an old man....
Old 2014-11-03, 21:04
!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
Considering this forum (as well as all of internet) is some sort of time capsule... if some immortal dude from the future is reading this thread from his home in Mars laughing at our predictions of the future, I want to say to him, "you are the guy who's living the life that is supposedly beyond our wildest imagination - I damn well hope you're happy about that and won't become some sad loser."
Also if you have a time machine please send me a PM.
Old 2014-11-03, 21:05
!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
About the thread, i would loooove to delay aging if it means the period 0-40 is stretched. Otherwise, imagine you get to be 300 but by 60 you are already an old man....
Agreed.
Old 2014-11-03, 21:42
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Also if you have a time machine please send me a PM.
"PS: please note that if you send the PM right now, I'll already be dead, so be sure to come back in time first, then send me the PM."
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2014-11-03, 23:10
Classic

What gives me the most hope for time travelers is Nikovs Consistency Principle. It basically means they could travel provided they leave no evidence that makes it to the future (and would thus stop them going back in time).
In other worlds, time travelers could be everywhere secretly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post

Yeah, YOU I am talking to YOU reading his out of boredom. Your on MARS stop looking so depressed already!
No, I don't care that your a space janitor cleaning space toilets of rich space idiots. Because...SPACE!
Old 2014-11-04, 00:55
Magic Ball Master

I'm just going to post this so I remember to come back later to finish reading the posts and answer the thread.
Old 2014-11-05, 07:18
strange dreamer

Relevant:

Spoiler:

Quote:
Old 2014-11-05, 11:58
!!!!!

So true!!
We will have hover boards soon though.
Old 2014-11-05, 13:29
Classic

Problem though is copper is so expensive right now, making parks of the stuff will be a real pain.
oh well, maybe the promise of hoverboards will put demand on getting that asteroid-mining operation started.
Old 2014-11-10, 09:40
Zebrazilla

Thumbs up, Fishos. Thanks for making me aware of it

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2014-11-17, 02:57
strange dreamer

Old 2014-11-17, 13:43
Zebrazilla

Well that's stupid.

LBA Speedruns
Old 2014-11-17, 13:59
Classic

The goal in live is to make your own goal

Also making something that lasts forever is very very hard.
Old 2014-11-17, 14:20
Zebrazilla

Sure, I agree, we all have our own goals; To each their own. Never would claim anything to the contrary myself, in contrast to the stupid message enclosed in that picture. "We all die. Goal is ..."

LBA Speedruns
Old 2014-11-17, 16:52
Hello

I haven't had a chance to read this thread properly, and I don't have the time atm to write a thorough post. That said, for now, if anyone is interested in the science behind ageing, give this website a look.

I had to learn the science behind ageing quite a bit at university, and that website provides a brilliant overview of the various theories of ageing etc.

I'm not going to go into the ethics of ageing, but I can say that viewing immortality as biologically abnormal is incorrect. Many reptiles and to a lesser extent birds are biologically immortal. For various reasons mammals found it advantageous to breed more rapidly in exchange for homeostastic processes to run around more quickly in life. Essentially obtaining immortality is more reverting back to the way our predecessors functioned rather than to do anything new.

Also a quote I like that is related to this, can't remember by whom though, is: "It seems strange that after the amazing feat of creating the organism, something so trivial as maintaining it is so difficult."

Anyway, if can probably answer some of the scientific questions related to ageing if anyone has something to ask.
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  cout<<"Regards,\nDino-Fly\n";
 cin.get();
}
Old 2014-11-17, 17:41
Classic

Quote:
s: "It seems strange that after the amazing feat of creating the organism, something so trivial as maintaining it is so difficult."
Which I think probably lays at least some weight to the argument that death was specifically evolved into existence, rather then is just a natural consequence of having a living creature to start with. Having parents die at certain times gave offspring greater breading chances.
Whats neutral or evolutionary pressure doesn't determain what's good for us now though - we have social gone past "survival of the fittest" (mostly) because as a civilisation we have realized people are worth far more then their genes.
Old 2014-11-17, 18:58
Hello

Quote:
Which I think probably lays at least some weight to the argument that death was specifically evolved into existence, rather then is just a natural consequence of having a living creature to start with. Having parents die at certain times gave offspring greater breading chances.
Your reasoning is a little circular. The only reason why it would be advantageous to have the parents dying off is if the parents can no longer breed and are taking up resources for their children. However, in the case of immortal animals, both males and females can breed indefinitely and are just as strong as younger members of the species (turtles are particularly relevant here).

Thus having the parents dying off to help the young is only true if the parents are ageing in the first place. And given that immortality predates ageing, it's highly unlikely that ageing started spontaneously causing the above-mentioned positive feedback loop.
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  cout<<"Regards,\nDino-Fly\n";
 cin.get();
}