Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2014-11-17, 20:14
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
hmz...your right, but I think I was one step away in my reasoning.
Not "greater breading chances" so much as "greater genetic influence".

The continued breading of the parents would slow down evolution no? so any vulnerability or "less fitness" would exist for more generations?
Old 2014-11-17, 21:47
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
hmz...your right, but I think I was one step away in my reasoning.
Not "greater breading chances" so much as "greater genetic influence".

The continued breading of the parents would slow down evolution no? so any vulnerability or "less fitness" would exist for more generations?
That takes us straight back to my original post: mammals chose rapid breeding (hence much quicker adaptations to new environments or a changing environment) in exchange sooner homoeostatic deregulation as their preferred method of genetic survival.

The process of going from an immortal to an ageing species is *roughly* understood as such:

- immortal species starts breeding sooner and with more offspring in order to create more genetic variation

- species mutates the ability to generate mutations more frequently (mammals have a much higher mutation rate than other classes as far as I know), this aids in the goal of creating more genetic variation

- bad mutations that only kick in past the start of reproductive age starts to build up. This can be due to a variety of reasons. A very interesting one is when it is a mutation that was good becomes bad during the course of the organism's life. A good example is the male Australian mouse who has a massive hormonal spike, which causes a breeding frenzy, but a few months later causes him to die. It's very clear why this anti-immortality mutation became predominant, I think.

Thus, the species now, passed peak breeding age, has more and more faulty genes, or at least, not as effectively function genes, kicking in; thus ageing begins. The take home message is that once a species loses immortality, genetic errors past peak breeding age can build up and be passed on readily, because they do nothing to inhibit the organism from passing on its genetic information during the breeding window period.

Of course, this is all an over simplification, and I haven't even gone into the Hayflick Limit or reactive oxygen species, and it's a little difficult to explain off the top of my head, but I think you get the general idea.
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  cout<<"Regards,\nDino-Fly\n";
 cin.get();
}
Old 2014-11-18, 00:02
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
That's all pretty interesting.

Quote:
The take home message is that once a species loses immortality, genetic errors past peak breeding age can build up and be passed on readily, because they do nothing to inhibit the organism from passing on its genetic information during the breeding window period
So, in other words, if we persuaded everyone to have kids latter in life we can try to get back on this immortal bandwagon :P
Old 2014-11-18, 12:41
Hello

Quote:
That's all pretty interesting.

So, in other words, if we persuaded everyone to have kids latter in life we can try to get back on this immortal bandwagon :P
Unfortunately having children later in life is associated with a higher congenital defect rate due to old ova in women and ageing causing an increase in faulty sperm production in men. Once you go mortal, there is no return portal (budumcha).
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
 cin.get();
}
Old 2014-11-21, 01:32
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless View Post
the stupid message enclosed in that picture. "We all die. Goal is ..."
There's nothing stupid about the message; it's rather a question of how you interpret the picture. Interpreting it the way you are, most certainly, it is stupid.

If your goal is to herd llamas in the Chilean andes and die doing that, that's perfectly okay. Or whatever other goal anyone might ever have! Sure thing.

HOWEVER, if you ever wanted to live forever, the message is that "we all die, you won't live forever, sorry", and that while creating a formula of immortaility is quite unfeasible and far-fetched, making something that will make you be remembered forever (or for a long, long time) is quite more feasible, so should you wish to "live forever" you can instead do anything from the simple being a good grandfather so your grandchildren may remember you well and pass on your memories to their children, as to making some feat that will award you a place in history books - or to the least the wikipedia. And that can be an invention, a piece of art, a new discovery about life...

And in this sense, the message can be very inspiring; not "stupid".
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2014-12-05, 16:05
Classic

Quote:
And that can be an invention, a piece of art, a new discovery about life...
Absolutely - but even that is crazy hard.
I think if you want to be immortal in that way you have to invent something like the next Chess.
Even most art probably wont last a thousand years.

==================

Anyway;

Grey: The Movie;
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/i...eimmortalists/
Old 2014-12-05, 16:32
Hello

You dudes need to read Ozymandias.
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
 cin.get();
}
Old 2014-12-11, 22:40
!!!!!

Quote:
Whaaat! Gotta watch that.
Quote:
I think if you want to be immortal in that way you have to invent something like the next Chess.
I did. You'll all know about it soon.
Old 2014-12-12, 14:08
Polly parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
I did. You'll all know about it soon.
Oh, I love chess variants or board games i general