Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2015-09-24, 17:36
FreemanQC

Send a message via MSN to gravel22
This is exactly the kind of game I would love. Nice graphics in a realizable engine. Looks a lot like LBA 1 & 2. Have nice cinematics, have nice interactive objects on map, have nice boss, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/iJJIkMHEvvQ

Of course it's not the same game, it's tomb raider and there's too much monsters and magic things. But replace this with basic magic of twinsen and sendell.

Also the camera is too far away from the caracter but this could be easily corrrected.
Little Big Adventure Former World Record Holder (53:40:80) see on Twitch below

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Old 2015-09-26, 13:34
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Definitely see where your coming from. hmm..
Old 2015-09-26, 13:42
Magic Ball Master

Getting a light system like that in the LBA isometric scene would be amazing.
Something like what RoG did before

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2015-09-26, 21:03
FreemanQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Definitely see where your coming from. hmm..
Sorry I don't get it ?

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Old 2015-09-26, 22:43
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Its a expression that means "I see how your thinking is working"
or, specifically in this case
"yes, your right, that sort of game engine does have a LBA-ish vibe to it"
Old 2015-10-01, 18:44
FreemanQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Its a expression that means "I see how your thinking is working"
or, specifically in this case
"yes, your right, that sort of game engine does have a LBA-ish vibe to it"
Ok sorry! As I'm french I don't really understand any of the english expression

But getting back on the engine question itself, I can't think of anything better. 3d would destroy the beauty of all of the lba games. 2d would do also because it's less than isometric I think. But better isometric like we have in this tomb raider game nails it I think. Not too much, not too less.

Old 2015-10-01, 20:08
Classic

Not a problem, always happy to clarify the sometimes crazy way us British speak.

Quote:
But getting back on the engine question itself, I can't think of anything better. 3d would destroy the beauty of all of the lba games. 2d would do also because it's less than isometric I think. But better isometric like we have in this tomb raider game nails it I think. Not too much, not too less.
I think non-isometrix angles can be used, but sparingly.
LBA2 even today feels nicer then a lot of 3d games when indoors, because it doesn't cramp the camera right up in order to fit, it just uses isometrix with transparent walls.

On the other hand, when outside I think its nice to change the angle change to suit the scene a bit. (ie, seeing into the distance occasionally, the scope of the ocean/sky)
Old 2015-10-02, 07:29
Look beyond reality.

I think the previous games always tried to push the boundaries of what could be achieved visually. LBA2 looks, in some aspects, quite differently than LBA1 and I think the best approach for LBA3 would be to continue the trend and not to mimic the original visuals all too much.
On the other hand, the amount of time that would be between LBA3 and the other titles would be pretty big. And I think it would be a nice touch to also see some very similar features come back so it instantly feels like one of the first 2 titles (providing some recognition and the "LBA feel" from back then)

If LBA3 would have been released a couple of years after LBA2 I would like to have seen a direct continuation of the story. But it having been so long I think it would be great to play as Arthur and revisit all of the important LBA1 and LBA2 locations you went to with Twinsen. Totally revised and pimped up visuals of course. Like a tribute.
Old 2015-10-02, 18:47
Classic

I think we had a thread once about the visual style LBA3 could take, with various non-realistic options.
I am not sure exactly what Id go for, but I think Id want something high-saturation and colorful at least when outside. (sewers and such could have a much more restricted color palette to help vary the mood)
Old 2015-11-18, 08:52
A few steps behind you...

I miss this fantasy world of LBA so much . I wish it could be reality
Old 2015-11-18, 11:41
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bot13 View Post
I think the previous games always tried to push the boundaries of what could be achieved visually. LBA2 looks, in some aspects, quite differently than LBA1 and I think the best approach for LBA3 would be to continue the trend and not to mimic the original visuals all too much.
On the other hand, the amount of time that would be between LBA3 and the other titles would be pretty big. And I think it would be a nice touch to also see some very similar features come back so it instantly feels like one of the first 2 titles (providing some recognition and the "LBA feel" from back then)

If LBA3 would have been released a couple of years after LBA2 I would like to have seen a direct continuation of the story. But it having been so long I think it would be great to play as Arthur and revisit all of the important LBA1 and LBA2 locations you went to with Twinsen. Totally revised and pimped up visuals of course. Like a tribute.
yeah or just play as twinsen himself.
Old 2015-11-21, 16:53
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Just what i said a while ago: I just can't wait for LBA3 !

Still waiting in silence for many years now

Graphics isn't that important for me, the gameplay and story are important for me !
Old 2015-11-25, 01:19

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Funny. I've been on LBA forums since 1997. So many years. So many changes.

Except these threads. Haha. The one constant thing that will always be there, waiting your return like an old friend. Just the way you remember him. Ready to serve you a hot cup of tea and remind you that he'll always be there for you.
Old 2015-11-25, 10:59
Polly parrot

Nice way to put it

There was once a thread going against that though, someone who said that if LBA3 would come out, it probably will be completely different than what we expected and will be a let down for our overblown little expectations
Old 2015-11-25, 21:01
Neko

I think I did....

I even found lba2 disapointment
Old 2015-11-25, 23:38
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
The thing about LBA3 though is that it'll never happen. And don't give me that "they're testing the waters with the recent steam release" crap. It's called making money, they're trying to make money, not test anything.
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2015-11-26, 04:24
Classic

They need money to make LBA3.
No publisher wants to give them it.
Ergo, that means they need money to self finance, or at least partly put up the money and hope a publisher will supply the rest.

By making money with other releases it makes them more financially stable in order to invest money (and, by extension their own time) into bigger projects.
This is why we have to hope games like 2DARK are successful.

Additionally; Making money and testing is not multily exclusive. If LBA1/2 sales great on modern platforms, that gives them evidence to show publishers or angel investors.
Expecting people to invest in a very old game franchise without data is a much hard sale.
Old 2015-11-26, 10:58
Polly parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I think I did....

I even found lba2 disapointment
I thought it was you awell, but I wasn't sure

Really, you didn't like LBA2 ? Why's that ?
Old 2015-11-27, 09:41
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
I thought it was you awell, but I wasn't sure

Really, you didn't like LBA2 ? Why's that ?
Because lba 1 is magical.
The dark atmosphere of opression but on the other hand the beautiful planet. The music is heartbreakingly lonely but also full of hope and optimism.
Little by little do you change from running away, to breaking down the whole power of funfrock and his army.
Little by little, do you break down an empire.

From personal quest to a global one.

Twinsen ascends from everyday quest to the mystical hero.

Listen to the heart felt music on white leaf desert.

How does lba2 even compare?

Even the lba theme says it all: from legendary in the first one, to semi jazzical in the second one.

Not to say I don't like lba2, it's a fantastic game. But a whole different ballpark....
Old 2015-11-27, 13:19
Polly parrot

Preferring LBA1 myself, i can definetely see what you mean here. Although world saving is one of my most hated video game cliché (seriously, can't I just live a normal life in those fantastic worlds ?), but I definetely prefer the general atmosphere of the first one. The isometric view itself makes the game feel more closed...
Old 2016-02-08, 18:56
Polly parrot

I re-read the last sentence of my own post and was like "Wait, I said that ? I completely forgot, this is brilliant ! Me from a few months ago is brilliant !".
Old 2016-02-15, 19:30
Magic Ball Master

People nowadays need to find a purpose for the character to go on an adventure to feel like the game is worth playing... to feel immersed on the game. Just going "because he wants to have some fun and explore" or even stay in his town living a calm and quiet life is just not good enough. I agree that giving a proper reason for the character to go on an adventure is optimal, and almost essential, on a game, but that cliché is definitely not the best way to do it.

Last edited by marcosmapf; 2016-02-15 at 19:37.
Old 2016-02-16, 03:20
Classic

Yeah, world saving is fun but also overdone because everyone does it.
Theres lots of other motivations possible.

As for "just living a life exploring the world" its rare, but there's a few games like that (or at least give the option) but its very rare.
http://planetexplorers.pathea.net/about/
Old 2016-03-16, 13:15
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Because lba 1 is magical.
The dark atmosphere of opression but on the other hand the beautiful planet. The music is heartbreakingly lonely but also full of hope and optimism.
Little by little do you change from running away, to breaking down the whole power of funfrock and his army.
Little by little, do you break down an empire.

From personal quest to a global one.

Twinsen ascends from everyday quest to the mystical hero.

Listen to the heart felt music on white leaf desert.

How does lba2 even compare?

Even the lba theme says it all: from legendary in the first one, to semi jazzical in the second one.

Not to say I don't like lba2, it's a fantastic game. But a whole different ballpark....
The problem with LBA 1 is that it's insanely difficult. The saving system just makes that even worse, even more so with the game taking you to some completely other places after Game Over (eg. if you Game Over in the last scene of the Temple of Bù, and then reload the saved game, you get right back to the first scene, though at least you don't have to complete the first scene again).
First off, the enemies are way over powered. Red groboclones that kill you in a few hits and you often face multiple at the same time. Robotic rabbibunnies that shoot way too fast. Those yellow moving things with projectiles that follow you. Quetch soldiers with projectiles that can travel way too far, AND you often fact multiple at the same time. Super groboclones that are almost impossible to take down even after you've reached the final level of magic (fire ball) because they fire red projectiles that track you (even though solid walls!) and kill you in one or two hits. And not to mention the robotic sphero clones which shoot so fast you can't possible counter attack, and the crazy bulldozer in the final construction scene towards the end of the game that can kill you very quickly yet you can't damage it at all...
Second, the second half of the game is too convoluted. So you've reached the northern hemipshere, but yet you have to go back south to get the space guitar, assault FunFrock's fortress, get the sword, then go to Citadel Island to get the architect's ID card. What's even the point... they could have made it so you can assault the teleportation center without any ID card (just like you after all assault the mutation center and the fortress and later the cloning center anyway), get the sword there, then obtain access to the rest of Brundle Island where you find a guy that gives you the space guitar. Then you can go back to Tippett Island and continue from there.
Also, how does an explosion that blows up the cloning center into smithereens not damage the construction area behind it in any way? And what's the point of the construction area anyway? By the time you even find out about it, FunFrock's grip over the planet is gone. That, and why is Twinsen facing that part of the game alone? One would expect a climatic scene in which you see FunFrock laughing as he announces the construction of an even bigger fortress, only for a whole load of rebel ships to appear and blow up the place into smithereens, and then Twinsen walking into the Well of Sendell. Yet, the rebels are nowhere to be seen, and Twinsen has to engage in more pointless tasks just to get to the Well of Sendell.
And then you reach the end of the game and it all goes so quickly, that you're left wondering "So I've spend days playing this game just a few quick scenes of happiness and no possibility to even explore a happy Twinsen?". LBA 2's ending is far more satisfactory because the happy scenes are actually a bit longer than in LBA 1 (and you also get to see a happy Desert Island, and not just Citadel Island), and the game is nowhere near as tedious as LBA 1 so the ending is also much less disproportionate to the total gameplay time.
Old 2016-03-16, 15:32
Neko

was it really so difficult lba1? I always found that lba1 got a lot easier after doing the blowgun test, which increased my feeling for the magic ball.

Battler, an ending with rebels hunting after funfrock would have been amazing. The hamalayi raid already is so cool