Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2015-09-29, 14:48
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Heroes: Reborn: Episode 1: Awakening (because of cause its called that... )

Ok, to start with THANK GOD its not ignoring the end of the last season. It honest to goodness seems to want to move forward. Thank you.
That said, its Civil War.
Hello mutants! Hello Disaster! Hello Government Registration Act!
-sigh-
To be fair, it looks like thats more the background then the story itself. So its not quite redundant to people that have read a comic.
And, it does keep stuff interesting. There is a lot of elements in play and the "around the world intersecting lives" idea still works quite well (even if more recently Sense8 has done it better).
Also no one has acted that stupidly yet. Unless asking someone to kill you and then being upset that you kill them in self-defense later counts as stupid, which it probably does.

Minority Report Epp1;

Ok, that was a pleasant surprise
Loosely this show fits into the "prevent crimes" genre (like Person of Interest, or The Dead Zone for that mater). All the same template.

But this does it pretty well A lot of energy, set in a convincing yet imaginative 2040. And not repeating the film at at - its a sequel to the film, basically.
Looking forward to seeing more.

I did like the wrist-band flying drone camera one girl had, btw.....because thats a real thing that will be sold in a few years time. (a firm was showing them off at a trade show a few months back, they really work)
Old 2015-09-29, 23:55
!!!!!

Heroes' new season started off nicely. Maybe we needed these five years break to get over how tiring the show has became and to be ready to resume watching it. The violence though, ugh. Also, yay, gruesome violence!
You should also watch episode 0 ("Dark Matter"). It's available in the form of 6 webisodes.
--

Oh did you guys watch Rick and Morty? It's like the best show ever!! It's kinda like Futurama, but actually fun and without restrains. I just love Rick. He shits science for breakfast. Or something.
Old 2015-09-30, 02:55
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Wait there was a episode 0?
Thanks for letting me know. I'm a sucker for trying to "100%" shows.

Quote:
It's like the best show ever!!
pfft. Nonsense thats gotta be....
Old 2015-10-04, 03:26
Classic

Limitless S01E1-2 - Another show I was skeptical about but actually pretty darn good. Like Minority Report, its based on a film. It falls into the "cop teams up with person with special abilities" genre, but from the first two episodes doesn't seem nearly as cookie-cutter as normal.
Lots of good humor. With luck, maybe, this could turn into another Person Of Interest in terms of "sci-fi crime shows" with brains.

(I do recommend seeing the film first mind.)

Limitless is essentially about a drug that allows the brain to function vastly more efficiently. Remembering everything you have ever seen, or being able to make connections between things you wouldn't normally do. In many regardless its a old sci-fi troop. Unlocking all your brain!!!
However, unlike (say) "Lucy", Limitless keeps it all realistic. No superpowers. No magic. Just what normal humans can do.....but moreso.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2015-10-04 at 03:34.
Old 2015-11-23, 21:01
Classic

Marvel's Jessica Jones S01E0102 - Judging by the first two episodes it looks like another great move by Netflix. Stylish, well acted, and with a creepy as hell villain. Humour where its needed, but a decidedly serious tone overall.
Most importantly, along with their DareDevil series, they are showing;

a) How you can pull of drastically different styles in the same universe.

b) How Netflix is just simply better then broadcast tv when it comes to creative freedoms. Even just the fact there shows can have full length title sequences - no cutting them short to fit in extra adverts. Netflix shows, both literally, and metaphorically dont need to be "put in a box" with their edges filled off.
==

Heroes Reborn S01-10 - Was enjoying it a far bit. Now its on a break. bah.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2015-11-23 at 21:12.
Old 2015-11-25, 12:51
!!!!!

Watched a few episodes of Limitless, pretty good.

The last episode of The Leftovers was so weird and fascinating. I just hope they know what they're doing and that they won't pull another Lost on us... "You know how it all seemed so random and confusing and you couldn't figure out what's going on? Well get ready for your mind to stay unblown, because it really does make no sense and none of the dots are going to connect, ever."
Old 2015-11-25, 17:51
Classic

Well, to be fair, some of Losts dots did connect and tie up, just a lot of it was "oh, its magic!" as the "explanation". Oh well, theres always fanfiction.
-
Haven't seen Leftovers yet, although oddly I once saw a Webshow with the exact same premise.
Old 2015-12-24, 09:11
Classic

The Librarians - While initially this was a ok Warehouse13 "replacement", the last few episodes have been really good. Certainly stronger writting in season2. Things tieing together better, and while taking old cliches done a million times it actually does something new with them.
I am glade its just been renewed for a 3rd season anyway.

iZombie - Also been much stronger this season then last. Good job tv folks.
Old 2015-12-24, 11:02
Magic Ball Master

Things I saw lately: Heroes Reborn, Quantico, Jessica Jones, Narcos, Walking Dead.

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2016-02-14, 00:30
Polly parrot

Fargo (the series)
Wow... Just wow, so beautifully done, so original, so interesting and surprising...
It's something I have rarely seen, a TV show not spelling everything and considering the audience not stupid. So much so that sometime what the characters do... Well while, it isn't incoherent, but you just can't see why they've done it. And it always ends up making sense.
The ending could've been better, but still, truly awesome.

A scene from it :

Now the same, but with sign language subtitles added by fans (the makers do not care if you do not understand )
(do watch them in order )

Old 2016-02-15, 17:52
Classic

Not new, but finally finished watching Continuum.
The show sagged a bit in the middle, and got a bit overly convoluted in places but overall really good. Nice little simple gut-punch ending too, which
makes perfect sense giving what the show well established, yet still I didn't see coming.

Overall very worth watching. A time travel show with very little onscreen time travel (barely 1 a season), yet it reveals in its complexity in other more interesting ways. Mostly I enjoyed the moral ambiguity - especially how clear cut things get progressively less so and how the shows protagonist shifts her position not by revelation or "twist", but by a slow realization.
Old 2016-02-15, 18:15
Magic Ball Master

Is it worth watching the series? I only enjoyed the first season of the original one, and maybe the start of the second.
Old 2016-02-16, 03:26
Classic

The original one? The show isnt a remake of anything
I'm talking of this show: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1954347/

If you meant season wise, if you enjoyed the first season and a bit then its worth watching to the end - but as I said, a little patchy in the middle.
Old 2016-03-03, 10:18
Classic

The Expanse S01E01-02 - Interesting. A fairly realistic space based sci-fi conspiracy/political drama/action thing.
Set purely in earths solar system, we have colonized mars and the moon, as well as having mining colony's dotted about. Travel is done between and around the system, but its not easy/casual like most shows.

While I am not sure the plot of the show is good yet, I am loving the details and the worldbuilding. So much they show you without explaining things - trusting the audience to be intelligent enough to work it out.
Old 2016-03-04, 05:46
Look beyond reality.

Ha, that's amazing DF. I just finished watching S1 of The Expanse and have checked this thread a couple of timed already to see iff you'd already picked up on it.
Old 2016-03-04, 13:51
Classic

hehe, thanks for the thought anyway.
Its spaccceeeee so of course I'll watch it
I see its already renewed as well.
Old 2016-03-07, 12:35
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Fargo (the series)
Wow... Just wow, so beautifully done, so original, so interesting and surprising...
It's something I have rarely seen, a TV show not spelling everything and considering the audience not stupid. So much so that sometime what the characters do... Well while, it isn't incoherent, but you just can't see why they've done it. And it always ends up making sense.
The ending could've been better, but still, truly awesome.

A scene from it :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck_3QxgO438

Now the same, but with sign language subtitles added by fans (the makers do not care if you do not understand )
(do watch them in order )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paGaANfiCLk
Probably the first good tv show recommendation here in years. Fargo was incredible indeed.
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2016-03-08, 19:39
!!!!!

Meh, Fargo is overrated. I stopped watching during the second season. Or maybe I guess it's a good show possibly, but not really to my taste very much.

The Expanse sounds worth checking out.

Currently watching The 100, Limitless (GREAT SHOW!), Childrens Hospital, The Last Man On Earth, and The Cyanide & Happiness Show.

Oh and a bit unrelated possibly but Charlie the Unicorn 5 is going to be 30 minutes long and funded by Kickstarter!
Old 2016-03-12, 15:46
Classic

Limitless is great but that last episode, with the blackout...
Spoiler:

electron eating bacteria? Thats the second most stupid bit of TV science I have seen this year. urg.
(the first being on "The Flash" where someone froze a lazer beam by encasing it in ice)

--

Gravity Falls - Finally saw the final episodes. Fantastic wrap up to a great show. Pretty much every plot point I could think of was resolved, both character wise and universe wise. If there was anything not addressed it was too small to remember.

I certainly loved how they got pretty much all the characters camo's - even Tad Strange got a line.
Old 2016-05-26, 14:32
Classic

-sigh-
Limitless just got canceled.
Typical, every time I find a new favorite show.
Old 2016-05-26, 16:30
Zebrazilla

Currently re-watching Fringe, haven't seen it in its entirety after the original run. So far enjoying it as much as I did then!

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2016-05-26, 18:28
Classic

Yeah, Fringe is good even if I think it lost its way a bit near the end.
Old 2016-06-05, 17:24
Classic

Person of Interest S05E01-02 - Still the best thing on TV. Superb.
Old 2016-06-05, 22:03
!!!!!

Yes, luckily they decided to end the series on season 5 so now we actually get *plot* every episode! yayz! No more endless stretching and waiting for the first and last episode of every season just to see some plot progress!

I love how they gradually established the idea of the computer program becoming the user and the humans becoming devices to be used by the user.
Old 2016-06-05, 22:07
!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
-sigh-
Limitless just got canceled.
Typical, every time I find a new favorite show.
Wait what? Hmfphgrumblegrumble

Tags
series, shows, television