Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2016-05-13, 09:53
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

New interview with Frederick Raynal on May 12

Hi Guys,

I was lucky enough to attend an event where Frederick was the speaker. It was about the pioneers of video games and he spent almost 2 hours explaining his early video game creation life. Of course Alone In the Dark and LBA were a great part of that and we were delighted to hear it from him.
We expect the video to be published in a few days, I will post it here and translate the most important parts.

I got to ask him about LBA 3, and reminded him that an important community called Magicball Network waited for it. (and of course, he knew about us )
Unfortunately the answer was not different from those we had in the past: LBA is the sequel he keeps thinking about and he would like to make. He keeps talking about it with his former colleagues from Adeline Software.
The problem is that he would like the original team to work on it and those people are busy working on other projects. He also needs a company to finance the game, and is not even sure such a company exists. (Video games have changed and player's tastes aren't those of 90's players)

He reminded us that he knows about the whole story of LBA3 (Why FunFrock is this evil, the fact that Twinsen and Zoe's baby (Arthur) will play a great role in the adventure and all this) and just needed finance and the right team to start the adventure.

Let's keep hoping that one day all this will be put in motion

Last edited by Juliian; 2016-05-13 at 14:33.
Old 2016-05-13, 13:55
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Thanks! Look forward to the video.

Personally I'm still hoping 2Dark is successful enough to help fund LBA3. I appreciate that's quite a jump though. (2 Darks, like, 5 people, and LBA3 probably would need 25-30 Id guess)
Old 2016-05-13, 14:03
Panta rei

Great job Juliian! I knew someone from the MBN was going to end up attending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliian View Post
Video games have changed and player's tastes aren't those of 90's players
I think this (which is related to the finance aspect) is the greatest obstacle for LBA3's development. I just don't see how companies would be naturally inclined to invest in such a project. We need real risk taker here for this to happen, as I can't think of any modern games with the pace and tone of LBA. If it doesn't look like it will sell then there's little ground to stand on when pitching LBA3. DotEmu's and GOG's ports were meant also as a market probing tool to check for LBA3's potential, but I have no info with regards to how successful that has been. I'm sure he's been asked, but has Fred considered other funding options like kickstarter etc? I've seen some sequels to popular games I like being funded through there and they seem to be well under development...
Quote:
The problem is that he would like the original team to work on it
Well good luck with that! Can't wait for the Ocean's 11 version of the 'Making of' LBA3 documentary
Quote:
Let's keep hoping that one day all this will be put in motion
I don't know much about game development, and hope's always the last to die, but at this point I feel LBA3 is Fred's (and our) fantasy project that without real evidence of progress is more likely to get produced when one of the MBN's members becomes either filthy rich or a nostalgic senior executive at a video game publisher

Waitin' for the video though, thanks for attending for us
Old 2016-05-13, 15:47
FreemanQC

Send a message via MSN to gravel22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx View Post
but at this point I feel LBA3 is Fred's (and our) fantasy project that without real evidence of progress is more likely to get produced when one of the MBN's members becomes either filthy rich or a nostalgic senior executive at a video game publisher
You said it all dude!
Little Big Adventure Former World Record Holder (53:40:80) see on Twitch below

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Old 2016-05-13, 18:45
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Zelda fits the same genre has far as I am concerned. Sure, they're a bit faster paced with more puzzles (and a massive budget) but they prove demand in a very undeserved market.

The problem is, without a existing big IP, getting your game into the eyes of people it would appeal to is very hard. Theres so much released these days the problem isn't so much "is there a audience for this" so much as "how the hell are they going to find it under the pile of 500 other things released that week"

Its especially bad as these games are typically labeled as "action adventure", which they are, but then that names also applied to a bunch of other things that are completely different. Prince of Persia? Tomb Raider ? Sure these games have "action" and "adventure" but its completely different to a open world item-based metrovania progression exploration style game. LBA/Zelda/Others sort of fit into a genre without a good clear-cut name.
Old 2016-05-13, 21:22
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Quote:
Zelda fits the same genre has far as I am concerned.
Those were actually the words of Frédérick yesterday: LBA is a Zelda like.

Quote:
I'm sure he's been asked, but has Fred considered other funding options like kickstarter
Yes Frédérick considered using Kickstarter, but it was almost 2 years ago. (His comment translated: We are not launching a kickstarter campaign right now, but we are thinking about it... We are also thinking about a mobile port of LBA2. Now we are focusing on 2dark.)

Last edited by Juliian; 2016-05-13 at 21:28.
Old 2016-05-15, 02:01
Panta rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
the problem isn't so much "is there a audience for this" so much as "how the hell are they going to find it under the pile of 500 other things released that week"
That's a very interesting point DF. Makes me wonder how much does a colossal franchise like Zelda actually need demand to sell? Unless they repeatedly start to make shitty titles people will buy the new game just because of it's name.

The existing lba fanbase is pretty niche. What would it take to gain major exposure? More importantly, exposure to the new generation. Again, they tried it with DotEmu and GOG, does anyone have any info or speculation as to how that experiment went in a marketing perspective? Would endorsement/participation from a major publisher help? (maybe a dumb q). Shouldn't they port lba2 to mobile too? - That seems the obvious first step to get the games out there and I know Fred says they are 'thinking' about it but enough thinking more doing!.

When did they release lba1, 2014? They should have ridden that fuckin' wave!!!
Old 2016-05-15, 16:50
FreemanQC

Send a message via MSN to gravel22
I can tell that since the titles have been released on GOG and Steam the Twitch streamer playing the game have increased. It was from around 1 stream to a lot more.

Actually how I personally try to give exposure to LBA is by speedrunning it and getting more and more speedrunner to play it. Why? Because it's a great title to speedrun and not all games are great to speedrun. Once the speedrun community with lots of viewers and followers will start playin' LBA, it'll surely give some more exposure.
Little Big Adventure Former World Record Holder (53:40:80) see on Twitch below

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Old 2016-05-16, 17:49
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx View Post
That's a very interesting point DF. Makes me wonder how much does a colossal franchise like Zelda actually need demand to sell? Unless they repeatedly start to make shitty titles people will buy the new game just because of it's name.
Frankly, thats exactly what I do. If theres a franchise I am already a fan of, I might well just buy it as I would enjoy it even more going in with a "clean slate" - I dont want too much info.
I tend to only read reviews these days when I am not sure of something.

Quote:
The existing lba fanbase is pretty niche. What would it take to gain major exposure? More importantly, exposure to the new generation. Again, they tried it with DotEmu and GOG, does anyone have any info or speculation as to how that experiment went in a marketing perspective?
The fanbase active on forums is niche. LBA1/2 didnt sale too bad remember, and the majority of those people are still alive. So I think theres a fair bit of "oh, I remember that game!" about. Whether that translates to sales I dont know, but I wouldn't dismiss it either.

As for GOG and DotEmu. Haven't a clue. Although LBA is extremely often featured in GOG offers. There was even one last week. (was part of a discount on ""adventure"" games).
Not sure quite what that means other then it not being forgotten. Sadly I dought they make much money from it when its sold at $1.20 on those offers.

Quote:
Would endorsement/participation from a major publisher help? (maybe a dumb q). Shouldn't they port lba2 to mobile too? - That seems the obvious first step to get the games out there and I know Fred says they are 'thinking' about it but enough thinking more doing!.
They should, but my understanding is its vastly harder to port.
I cant remember where I read them saying that, but pretty sure they said it.
Old 2016-05-16, 18:31
Panta rei

Quote:
I think theres a fair bit of "oh, I remember that game!" about. Whether that translates to sales I dont know, but I wouldn't dismiss it either.
That's exactly what I mean though when I mentioned the new generation. Don't you think people that will say "oh!" will also have lost interest in playing a similar game to the one they liked when they were 15? I mean I guess that initial enthusiasm may be conveyed to their kids (if they already have them), but I would imagine the majority of sales would have to be new fresh faces. I always think that if a game's really good it'll sell itself through a 'snowball effect' of popularity. Need to get that ball rolling though.

Quote:
They should, but my understanding is its vastly harder to port.
I remember reading that too somewhere. However, I also recall seeing someone porting it to psp years ago..
Old 2016-05-25, 11:18
Panta rei

Does anyone know if they ended up posting footage of this?