Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2016-06-08, 20:58
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
The inflatable space module that Nasa installed recently was entered for the first time;
http://techcrunch.com/2016/06/07/ast...he-first-time/

They wont be doing anything in there, other then taking readings occasionally. But its still really cool. Potentially the first humans in what might be how the majority of space...err...spaces....are made in future.
Old 2016-06-11, 03:41
!!!!!

The future is amazing.
Old 2016-06-19, 14:08
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Pretty cool. The UK for a few hours in a few days didn't use any coal at all.
Even more bizarrely, Germany was briefly paying people to use electricity due to a abnormal spike in production.
http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...-a7024716.html
Old 2016-06-20, 01:58
Polly parrot

Oh yeah, I read about the German one, funny
Old 2016-06-20, 16:17
Classic

I suspect its just a quirk of billing that they never expected this to happen.

Grids often have limits to how much power they can take, mind. So its possible at some point if we dont have enough storage might need to build electricity dumps to deal with spikes. I dunno - heat a lake or have a giant telsa coil or something to get rid of the excess power :P
Old 2016-06-29, 21:58
!!!!!

Check this out: BIRD (if the link doesn't work disable adblock, it blocks it for me for some reason)

Apparently it's the biggest breakthrough in user-interface hardware since the touch screen (putting aside AR I guess). It looks awesome. And I know someone who got it installed in his office, so hopefully I'll get to go bother him and play around with it soonly
Old 2016-06-30, 00:45
Polly parrot

It does look nice, but... What uses are there ? It seems to simply gather multiple functions...
Old 2016-06-30, 09:05
Classic

I think it would be more comfortable as a fingerless glove (as its possible to sense figure positions from that position anyway). But other then that its a pretty neat idea.

---
I have a LeapMotion myself, but that only works at one position as it needs to be fixed somewhere. They are pushing its use for AR/VR where you strap it to your head and can then controll stuff with your hands like;
Old 2016-06-30, 10:00
Previously Link

So, what's the big breakthrough here? It's not quite obvious from the website...
Old 2016-06-30, 10:30
!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
So, what's the big breakthrough here? It's not quite obvious from the website...
Mainly in appeal and application perhaps. Not necessarily technology-wise. This looks like a thing that can really catch on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
I have a LeapMotion myself
Wtf, that's awesome. Having a thing such as this was a fantasy of mine for decades! I was born just a few decades too soon.
Old 2016-06-30, 22:40
Classic

Yeah, it is pretty futuristic.
Its not good for general use though. "Minority Report" style computer use makes your arms tired really quick :P

I really want to try it in VR but I dont have a HMD yet :P
I mean, I'll have one at some point.....maybe a HTC Vive....but they are a bit too expensive right now and Id rather wait for them to all standardize ore.
Old 2016-06-30, 22:58
!!!!!

I did some research on Minority Report and other user interface in sci-fi not long ago. Yep, moving your arms above heart level makes you tired. One interesting article on this subject: Why Her Will Dominate UI Design Even More Than Minority Report

I don't have much fancy-shmancy gizmos either... I plan to get my face all over it once I get a chance to clear my mind and concentrate on teh awesomene.
Old 2016-06-30, 23:47
Classic

If you have a powerful AI a lot can shift to voice control - and already has (Google Now, Siri, Cortana etc).

However, I still think we would want a lot of visual interactions, and in many cases using your hands makes the most sense for that. (Try describing a picture vs painting one)
I think once its possible having perfect AR + perfect feedback gloves. So you can call up a virtual object that both looks and feels real. (yet takes no environment resources to make, and you can have it whenever/whereever you want). Theres certainly advantages of tactile things, and escaping the screen will open up computers to emulate a lot more things.
Old 2016-07-01, 11:55
!!!!!

Force feedback gloves would sure be awesome and FUN! But not as practical. If you want something to just get done... you'd probably want to do it spending as little energy as possible. (humans are lazy even though nowadays they usually have more energy supplies than their bodies will ever be able to use)

Think - telepathy. I'm actually developing some concepts built on that idea which if luck would have it will turn into a startup one day.
Old 2016-07-01, 13:02
Classic

Well, you could just stick something in your spine and emulate the nerve impulses.....I just dont think people will be up for that for awhile :P

(seriously though, it isn't that far off - I remember a few years back scientists already did the reverse - "play back" recorded movements on someones real hand by stimulating the muscles the same way the brain did earlier).
Old 2016-07-09, 18:21
Classic

Plans to put 700+ Satellites in orbit for a new satellite based internet provider:
http://www.space.com/33363-oneweb-70...tellation.html

They are mostly focused on areas where broadband is hard to install with cables. But 700 is a insane amount of satellites.

=

By comparison the EU paid for Galileo network is just 30 satellites (24 active 6 spares).
That network has about half of its satellites launched so far, and the rest expected by 2020.
When complete, it will provide free location services, to a precision of 1 meter for everyone - a significant improvement on civilian access of GPS.
Old 2016-07-14, 00:00
!!!!!

New startup promises to produce real meat in a device that grows it from animals' biopsy samples: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/su...arming-animals

They say in 5 years anyone would be able to purchase healthier, cheaper and even tastier meat that isn't made out of animal suffering. That's pretty huge.
Old 2016-07-14, 21:05
Classic

It might be.
The problem is I swear I have heard basically the same news every few years for the past decade :P
They keep making artificial meet thats reported as tasting good, but it never seems to arrive on the shelves.
Old 2016-07-14, 22:03
!!!!!

Maybe some evil corporations with a lot of money and power to lose are pulling the strings to avoid having it on the shelves? Well anyhow they can't hold it back forever.

--
On a different subject, I'm really happy with all the hype over Pokemon Go. I never understood why anyone would be into Pokemon, and I still don't, but fact is a lot of people are crazy for Pokemon. And using AR to *actually* make their Pokemon fantasy world a reality was obviously the best idea ever.
Finally, FINALLY AR got the breakthrough it long deserved into the mass's minds and hearts. It took the world over overnight. It finally happened.

It's not long now before we see OLED glasses on the shelves, and then on everyone's eyes. And then, the transformation will be complete. MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Old 2016-07-15, 02:08
Classic

EXACTLY. gateway drug :P
Its also nice as a gamer; it makes videogames visible.
Gaming has been mainstream for awhile, but it sort of was never visible in the same way, say, films were. It helps dispel the last myths and cliches about gamers when you can see all types of people running about after that pikachu.

For reference the games are quite good. At least the one I played, like, a decade back. The collecting aspect never appealed to me, however, it did let you explore a world and use ability's of the creatures to reach new places - which I did like.

Quote:
Maybe some evil corporations with a lot of money and power to lose are pulling the strings to avoid having it on the shelves? Well anyhow they can't hold it back forever.
Sure. Although I cant help but think even "ok" tasteing artificial meat would be quite attractive to, say, McDonalds and such. One evil corp vs another if you like.
The infrastructure we have created as humans to maintain our diet of cows and chickens is crazy. Sooner or later the economics of it will just collapse.
Old 2016-07-15, 22:16
Classic

New map of part of the universe:
http://gizmodo.com/new-3d-map-of-the...ill-1783688322

Humans cant comprehend these numbers. To say its like grains of sand on a beach is a understatement.
Old 2016-07-16, 13:00
!!!!!

Wow. Map of the universe. It's amazing that us, being on just one planet, are able to practically see this much of the universe.
Old 2016-07-16, 14:55
Classic

Just imagine whats above us. What we technically see when we look upwards to the universe. There is so much there. The unfathomably quantity of existence waiting for us.
Its almost beyond comprehension to imagine there are things that aren't out there.

The wonders and horrors as well as the mundane. All out there waiting.
Old 2016-07-16, 21:08
!!!!!

Well said! (very romantic, also)

Although I'm not sure I know what you mean by "things". If you mean things in a more obscure sense, such as forms of life and landscapes and mechanisms and such, then I agree, probably. But more specific things, should be easy for us to imagine I believe. For example I don't think all the crazy ideas from Rick & Morty exist IRL.
Old 2016-07-16, 22:13
Classic

Not precisely, but there might be vague equivalents of most things, provided its possible with whatever the real rules of the universe are. And then, moreso, there will be things out there we have yet the capacity to imagine.

And other lifeforms, of all levels of intelligences, must exist in that vastness regardless of our hopes to meet them.
My own thinking is if we ever meet "aliens" its probably a daughter species, or a grandchild species. As humans we might one day (relatively) soon make a intelligent AI, and that AI could make another. Those AI's will find it much easier to explore then universe then we do, so maybe "alien AIs" will be the same.
Doesn't have to be electronic either. I think once a certain intelligence is reached, a curious species might likely tinker with whatever technology they have and try to recreate intelligence in a new form.
Directly evolved species might be in the minority.

Tags
augmented reality, awesomeness, esa, future, hi-tech, mars, nasa, robotics, sci-fi, science, skylon, space, spaceplane, tech, technology