Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

View Poll Results: Do you own a smartphone?
Yes, an Android one 22 55.00%
Yes, an iPhone 6 15.00%
Yes, something else 2 5.00%
I don't own a smartphone 10 25.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-09-15, 17:27
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAWinOwns View Post
I bought myself my first smartphone a month ago, a Samsung Trend. I do strongly recommend it for people who don't want to pay too much. It's decently fast, decent camera and light souce flash. Good battery and a modern android version. Only shortcoming I've found is that the GPS is very slow, almost useless. I can't see how the competitive brands can survive when Samsung can give all this for like a hundread bucks or so.

IT'S THE ONE AND ONLY
LBA
WIN
OWNS
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2013-11-04, 16:39
this's longer than allowe

There should be another option: "Yes, a shitty one".
Old 2013-11-04, 19:17
Magic Ball Master

"Yes, That old nokia one that still works after 15 years of use"
Old 2013-11-06, 13:28
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Nokia phones will still be working after the apocalypse.
Meanwhile, smart phones will be used as currency. Some still light up if your lucky.
Old 2013-11-14, 15:37
Neko

Old 2013-11-14, 19:22
Polly parrot

Old 2013-11-27, 23:28
Do the evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
Old 2013-11-27, 23:44
Polly parrot

That's an awesome pic, I'm saving it right away !
Old 2014-10-06, 10:30
Banned

Exclamation

Yes.
Old 2016-11-17, 21:33
strange dreamer

A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2016-11-18, 07:34
Polly parrot

Well, that's exactly how I wanted to start my Friday.
I don't like being happy anyway
Old 2016-11-18, 10:01
Party animal

wow, so true. i too feel like everyone around me are dumb zombies and i'm the only one who's "awake".

r/iam14andthisisdeep
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2016-11-18, 16:37
strange dreamer

Moby is certainly an artist of vision, who's been in the scene for a few decades already, and if he had the idea for this videoclip and song (which btw has been very well received by the general audience), obviously it is you who is being 14-ish by not grasping the concept.
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2016-11-18, 17:12
!!!!!

Love that clip. It feels like the music to go along with it just got in the way. But the animation/concept is awesome.
Old 2016-11-18, 17:55
Polly parrot

Personally I must side with Reek on this one, while the execution is awesome and the music cool, I can't say I'm convinced by the message
Old 2016-11-18, 18:58
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

I'm so bored with the "smartphones have ruined everything" attitude. Almost as grating as anything anyone claims "Millennials" are doing.
And gave it a name, so then it wasn't mine
Old 2016-11-18, 20:15
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Personally I must side with Reek on this one, while the execution is awesome and the music cool, I can't say I'm convinced by the message
I think it's just exagerated on purpose to make points clearer.
It doesn't mean to say everyone is like that all the time.

Neither is the message to make you feel special and think everyone else are dopes.

It's just a friendly reminder of way things are going, the behaviours shown are real and can be witnessed anywhere, and that can happen to anyone, more times to some than to others. It keeps you more alert of the bad things one can do with a smartphone. Yeah, I have a smartphone and think they're awesome bits of technology. Like any technology can be.

Many of the symbolic messages shown in the clip are relatable. Like that scene where everyone is giving likes and smiley faces when they are in fact sad and bored, it's plain accurate. Smartphones themselves are not the problem (have never been), rather they are just the medium by which people can do the other things which are bad and the pocket mobility of smartphones simply makes it so convenient and easy to fall in this trap-like behaviour at any given time, during many times a day, without even noticing, it's just automatic. It just entices traits in human nature which always existed but now are ever easier to show it's face in broad daylight.

A nice read:

Quote:
(...) Most if not all the things we describe as addictive are. And the scary thing is, the process that created them is accelerating.

We wouldn't want to stop it. It's the same process that cures diseases: technological progress. Technological progress means making things do more of what we want. When the thing we want is something we want to want, we consider technological progress good. If some new technique makes solar cells x% more efficient, that seems strictly better. When progress concentrates something we don't want to want—when it transforms opium into heroin—it seems bad. But it's the same process at work.

No one doubts this process is accelerating, which means increasing numbers of things we like will be transformed into things we like too much.
( sauce )
Quote:
Old 2016-11-18, 21:14
!!!!!

Gee people, it's not as if that clip is running for president and you should decide whether you support its political agenda. It's just satire. Like Kiddo said, that behavior can be witnessed anywhere and everyone is at some degree guilty of it. That kid who's "normal" is just there as a point of reference.
Old 2016-11-19, 18:03
Party animal

like mia said, the whole "smartphones are ruining society" shit is so widespread, by now it's obvious that people are just jumping on this bandwagon for internet points. these people are basically guilty of the exact behaviour of the people parodied in these videos.

also, chaosfish: i don't feel like i'm "guilty" of anything. i like having a smartphone, i think smartphones are awesome and i don't find it that hard to use them moderately and without it having an averse effect on the frequency/quality of my social interactions. and yeah, sometimes i prefer using my smartphone than making pointless small talk or just staring into space. believe it or not, we're not committing a sin each and every time we look at a screen ffs.

and if you're wondering why the negative reactions - you can't possibly tell me that you don't see how condescending and pretentious these videos are? a video where everyone other than the main character is drawn as braindead morons?

Last edited by Reek; 2016-11-19 at 18:16.
Old 2016-11-19, 19:24
!!!!!

Okidoki.
Old 2016-11-20, 01:30
Polly parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
It just entices traits in human nature which always existed but now are ever easier to show it's face in broad daylight.
I can totally roll with that, but I'm afraid that's not the point of the video. If what you said is the case, smartphones are extremely useful tools to diagnose psychic illnesses, and the world is definetely a better place with them.
But I don't think that's the point of the video
Old 2017-01-19, 20:27
strange dreamer

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a1.jpg‎
Views:	107
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	10070   Click image for larger version

Name:	a2.jpg‎
Views:	92
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	10071   Click image for larger version

Name:	a3.jpg‎
Views:	86
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	10072   Click image for larger version

Name:	a4.jpg‎
Views:	91
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	10073  
Quote:
Old 2017-01-19, 22:05
Polly parrot

Old 2017-01-22, 13:39
!!!!!

I'm trying really hard not to lol while riding the bus right now.
Old 2017-01-22, 21:32
strange dreamer

I 'LOL' in public spaces. I don't care. Better look happy than grumpy.