Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

View Poll Results: Reading this made you ponder on the subject for a while?
Yes 4 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2017-01-15, 23:02
!!!!!

Hey I wasn't aware of this thread! Very well written. I hope you publish more of your stories here. I'll love reading it.

A few technical problems there maybe... 12 people can't make a gene pool that lasts more than a few generation. They must store frozen embryo/zygote/sperms and eggs. It would also make more sense to take only the most capable astronauts/scientists, at least 3/4 of them being young and fertile women, and use the freezer when they need to worry about gene diversity.

Of course save all the digital data you can from earth. And save enough frozen biological samples of every possible living thing you could manage to take, in a state that would theoretically, given enough time for sufficient technological advancements, make it possible to reproduce the living thing it was taken from.

All other cargo should be with the sole porpuse of helping to survive the trip to Mars and make life on Mars durable and renewable.
Old 2017-01-16, 02:02
Polly parrot

Why would you want to revive all the animals for ?
Most can't live out of their habitat... If you relive them they'll just die...
Old 2017-01-16, 07:37
strange dreamer

(thx fishos, much appreciated ^^)

Albeit you are correct, Polly, I cannot imagine living without animals. As cool as colonizing Mars might be in itself, now I realize how sad it would be. That's an important point you have raised!
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2017-01-16, 08:12
!!!!!

If you're going through all that trouble preserving diverse human genes, it's only logical you'd preserve genes of different genomes. There's much more diversity in that. Those are genes that developed over millions and millions of years and are not less valuable than digital data collected over some millenia. And who knows when some of those genes might be useful for our survival and development? Of all the creatures of Earth, Homo Sapience is probably not the most physically fit to live on Mars.

Last edited by ChaosFish; 2017-01-16 at 08:47.
Old 2017-01-16, 17:39
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
I have been playing a game called Maia - a fairly realistic game about attempting to build a colony on a alien world.
One of the earliest features of the game was to have cats and dogs wondering about your base :P

Domesticated animals probably help humans psychology, and probably will be the first to be revived after the essentials have a bit of slack. (spare air/water/food).
Other animals probably will only come much later, once you start teraforming.
Old 2017-01-16, 21:25
!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Domesticated animals probably help humans psychology, and probably will be the first to be revived after the essentials have a bit of slack. (spare air/water/food).
Ideally, yes. But that seems wildly optimistic to me. I dunno. Maybe I'm just conditioned to have a gloomy post-apocalyptic view of the future.