Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2020-12-24, 10:39
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_c View Post
haha... that's exactly what I thought when I first listened to them
Interesting.
I think it will look fabulous with the effects.

Philippe Vachey, is this something we can get eventually?

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2020-12-24, 12:36
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
btw, why is the first track called Music Box? I thought it'd be like a music-box version of what we'll get on the real music box, or at least have a music box sound to it, but it's got nothing to do with music boxes it's more like a medley. At the very end there's something resembling a music box, but it's more like a xylophone or hang drum. Now if I type in "music box" one more time I'll pass out
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2020-12-24, 12:44
Magic Ball Master

You have the explanation in the booklet

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2020-12-24, 14:27
Neko

here's my thoughts:

overall:
pretty cool to hear those songs performed by a real orchestra, but I feel at times the recordings lack their original power and sometimes drift a bit too far from the original.

music box: at times I wonder what the main melody is supposed to be, the mix seems very cluttered. I like the new intro.

the quest lacks its original power, it seems to lose all it's power and urgency. This one was the most dissapointing

The empire is great and parts of emerald moon are awesome!
Hamalyi was great too. Not sure why funky town was added to a symphonic release tbh

we got some lba 3 music: the water song seems a bit filler, and mother twinsun is good, but I am not as fan as the original works. I sorely miss honey bee, zeelich and rebels.
Old 2020-12-24, 15:08
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
here's my thoughts:

overall:
pretty cool to hear those songs performed by a real orchestra, but I feel at times the recordings lack their original power and sometimes drift a bit too far from the original.

music box: at times I wonder what the main melody is supposed to be, the mix seems very cluttered. I like the new intro.

the quest lacks its original power, it seems to lose all it's power and urgency. This one was the most dissapointing

The empire is great and parts of emerald moon are awesome!
Hamalyi was great too. Not sure why funky town was added to a symphonic release tbh

we got some lba 3 music: the water song seems a bit filler, and mother twinsun is good, but I am not as fan as the original works. I sorely miss honey bee, zeelich and rebels.
^ I agree to all the above ... except for The Quest, even though it doesnt have its original power, it became pretty interesting, like, a new kind of epic

Quote:
Not sure why funky town was added to a symphonic release tbh
IT NEEDED MOAR GUITARS, at least, to justify.
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2020-12-24 at 15:40.
Old 2020-12-24, 15:39
Neko

I was driving my car yesterday and put them all on high volume. Then I played honey bee and was shocked to hear how $^#$&#&$%& great that is. Truly a masterpiece in composition AND recording. How he got such a sound from some sample cell sample libraries...astounding
Old 2020-12-24, 15:47
strange dreamer

Quote:
I was driving my car yesterday and put them all on high volume. Then I played honey bee and was shocked to hear how $^#$&#&$%& great that is. Truly a masterpiece in composition AND recording. How he got such a sound from some sample cell sample libraries...astounding
Yeah, right?! Even NOWADAYS I find it almost impossible to replicate or find those samples
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2021-01-12, 04:11
Polly parrot

Quote:
How he got such a sound from some sample cell sample libraries...astounding
Wait, the original LBA musics weren't recorded ? They were sampled ?
Old 2021-01-12, 04:59
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Wait, the original LBA musics weren't recorded ? They were sampled ?
Back in those days it was a rarity for games to have real orchestra soundtracks...
Quote:
Old 2021-01-12, 13:43
Polly parrot

Even on PC ? Huh...

Anyway, is the digital edition worth it ? 18€ isn't that cheap...
(Come on, convince me, I'm looking for an excuse to buy it )
Old 2021-01-12, 18:01
Neko

Quote:
Even on PC ? Huh...

it's not recorded indeed. it's sampled, listen to it again, you can definitely hear it. but because of that it sounds really good somehow.
Old 2021-01-12, 18:22
strange dreamer

Quote:
Do you mean the new symphonic suite? Lots of reviews in here about it. However regarding the original soundtrack, its exactly the same you already have from your game's CD.
Quote:
Old 2021-01-12, 18:42
Polly parrot

Yeah, I meant the symphonic suite, but I've been out of the forums for so long, I don't feel like starting digging up reviews x)
Old 2021-01-12, 21:08
Neko

bit of a letdown for me. But as lba fan you got to have it.

the fact no one is raving about having heard lba3 music says something...but on the other hand you are so grateful for having heard new stuff that you don't want to say anything negative...
Old 2021-01-12, 21:28
strange dreamer

I guess if we all just give our opinions, it will be the same as you going back a few pages and reading individual reviews so, I'll sum up to you in one paragraph all the reviews I've read both on these forums, on the fb page and privately talking to a few lba fans:

It's a mix of very positive initial excitement but also some negative views in the long term, a general feeling of enthusiasm with an underlying layer of disappointment. It did not live up to the expectations of something that raised 3x times more money than the initial expected budget and took around 1 year and 6 months to produce. The major complaints goes 1st to the lack of VERY important LBA songs, being left out due to production constraints, and 2nd to the extensive use of digital synths in several tracks -- sometimes subtly but also at times taking the lead role -- instead of mostly a pure real orchestral performance (even though that was the whole point). Regardless, it's an essential item for any LBA fan, with many magical moments, it definitely adds new material to its musical universe, it's also evident our dear Vachey worked hard and with love in it, even if it wasn't what most fans hoped for it to be.

Quote:

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2021-01-12 at 21:53.
Old 2021-01-12, 21:53
Previously Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post

It's a mix of very positive initial excitement but also some negative views in the long term, a general feeling of enthusiasm with an underlying layer of disappointment. It did not live up to the expectations of something that raised 3x times more money than the initial expected budget and took around 1 year and 6 months to produce. The major complaints goes to the lack of VERY important LBA songs, being left out due to production constraints (?), and the extensive use of synths in several tracks -- sometimes subtly but also at times taking the lead role -- instead of a pure real orchestral performance (even though that was the whole point). Regardless, it's an essential item for any LBA fan, with many magical moments, it definitely adds new material to its musical universe, it's also evident our dear Vachey worked hard and with love in it, even if it wasn't what most fans hoped for it to be.

That doesn't match what I've read, I've seen reviews that were much more positive than that. Personally I love it! It made me cry the first time I listened to the album, and I'm still listening to it almost in a loop.
Old 2021-01-12, 21:58
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin
That doesn't match what I've read, I've seen reviews that were much more positive than that.
Indeed, but I am trying to balance both the negative and positive points in a single paragraph. Also, most people don't want to openly critique someone they love so you won't hear them saying anything bad unless you talk to them separately. So, in fb group for instance you will only see mostly high praises, with a side note of criticism - but it's there. Furthermore, some points I've mentioned are plain facts.
Quote:

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2021-01-12 at 22:03.
Old 2021-01-12, 22:05
Neko

Quote:
Indeed, but I am trying to balance both the negative and positive points in a single paragraph. Also, most people don't want to openly critique someone they love so you won't hear them saying anything bad unless you talk to them separately. So, in fb group for instance you will only see mostly high praises, with a side note of criticism - but it's there. Furthermore, some points I've mentioned are plain facts.
I agree with you 100 percent.
How come it is so quiet and no one talks about the new lba songs? If they were like honey bee we would be buzzing
Old 2021-01-12, 22:06
Neko

Quote:
I agree with you 100 percent.
How come it is so quiet and no one talks about the new lba songs? If they were like honey bee we would be buzzing
I also did not want to post it on fb, but no one reads the mbn so.....
Old 2021-01-13, 14:15
Polly parrot

Quote:
I guess if we all just give our opinions, it will be the same as you going back a few pages and reading individual reviews so, I'll sum up to you in one paragraph all the reviews I've read both on these forums, on the fb page and privately talking to a few lba fans:
Thank you so much

Quote:
Eyyyy, I see what you did there !

Well anyway, sounds like I should definitely buy it, thanks guys
I am hoping that my expectations are lowered enough to be able to form an objective opinion about it now
Old 2021-01-13, 16:07
strange dreamer

Quote:
I am hoping that my expectations are lowered enough to be able to form an objective opinion about it now
Please, let us know what you think!
Quote:
Old 2021-01-13, 16:50
strange dreamer

Quote:
If they were like honey bee we would be buzzing

Yeah,

We can tell a lot from what is not being said rather than only what is being said, too. Some of the MBN members here who were most eager and anticipating this project anxiously throughout the months (who posted in this thread, top tier kickstarter backers, etc), and also those were so eager to download it when it was finally available, now, weeks past its release, didn't say a word about it, and others who did just dropped a little remark here and there about something they liked or a neutral comment*. That alone says a lot.

In the MBN I used to know from 10... 15... years ago, if there was even a hint of an actual release of a brand NEW song by Vachey we'd be running crazy in circles not knowing how to cope with the excitement. And yet, here we are with not just one, but TWO new songs (mother earth and water deity) and we have barely spoken about those, and in my opinion, it is simply because they do not stand out at all. They would do great on a full length relaxation CD by Vachey, but did not make an impression on us like LBA's original soundtrack did (and I don't think that has to do with our gaming memories or nostalgia).
Quote:
Old 2021-01-13, 17:40
Neko

Quote:
(and I don't think that has to do with our gaming memories or nostalgia).
Truer words have not been spoken!

The crazy thing is, an album sometimes has a highlight song. Like a piece that stands out. When I listened to the originals again, I was so baffled by what my brain could pick up on extra details, that just work from start to finish. It is so focussed and not a single note is out of place! That is so rare in music.
Then you listen to the new empire, and even though I love the rendition of it, it doesn't snap into focus untill a certain moment when it sounds like the actual original song.

So, what I found was that all the songs except for maybe "purple", or dare I say funky town (you're going to be angry now...) all other songs are all standout. That is so exceptional.

The two new songs, are more like regular level, while the original work was all THE VERY BEST HE COULD DELIVER. Like Mozart put all his best work on a single cd and then he composes some other stuff, can't all be briliant right?

Or I just need to listen to it more than a 1000 times before I start seeing it.
Old 2021-01-13, 21:22
strange dreamer

Quote:
the original work was all THE VERY BEST HE COULD DELIVER.
YEP!

Much like the masterpieces Alone In The Dark or LBAs compared to the kickstarter game 2Dark, which was an 'okay' game.
Quote:
Old 2021-01-13, 21:25
Previously Link

Quote:
(I don't think that has to do with our gaming memories or nostalgia)
I think gaming memories associated to the original music has A LOT to do with how we perceive it.