Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2021-02-02, 17:30
Polly parrot

These bastards, go for it Quetch !

I mean, if it was a symbolic amount, I'd say it's the dangers of crowdfunding, but 400$ is a lot...
Old 2021-02-02, 18:51
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
Well... let's analyze the facts: the meeting was supposed to be in France so that we would witness the recording process... but the pandemic came, they didn't wanna wait no more (so that they can delight us with a terribly rushed product that disappointed many of us) and went ahead with the recordings. Then they sent an "exclusive" e-Mail to us amazing backers in which they showed us 8 pictures so that we can get a taste of how it would have been. Few days later they give the pictures to everyone else on FB and extend them from 8 to 23...

So now you tell me:
1) why would they make the meeting now that the recording's over anyway?! (considering COVID restrictions are still here just like they were when they didn't wish to wait anymore)
2) why would you still wanna go and pay a $hitload of extra money on plane, hotel, etc. now that the event is over and like I said above, considering the COVID restrictions are still a pain in the butt and you won't even be able to travel that easily (or at all)?

I'm just surprised I'm the only 800 EUR backer who's upset about this whole situation... do others still hope for a time machine, or are they ok with losing 400 EUR for nothing?! #justsaying
P.S.: it was indeed 800 EUR, not USD, which actually makes it even worse, it's about $961 currently
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles

Last edited by Quetch; 2021-02-02 at 19:29.
Old 2021-02-02, 19:36
Polly parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetch View Post
Then they sent an "exclusive" e-Mail to us amazing backers in which they showed us 8 pictures so that we can get a taste of how it would have been. Few days later they give the pictures to everyone else on FB and extend them from 8 to 23...
Ooof...
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Philippe Vachey did an amazing job on the LBA tracks, but he seems too interested in money for it not to be disturbing

I know he's not the only one in this, but there's still this pattern around him...
Old 2021-02-02, 21:34
Neko

whyyyy would they rush the product.

WHYYY would they cancel a meeting for the backers
Old 2021-02-03, 00:23
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post

Exactly! No idea either
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2021-02-03, 00:41
Polly parrot

Oh, I think I have a few
Old 2021-02-03, 13:05
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Ooof...
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Philippe Vachey did an amazing job on the LBA tracks, but he seems too interested in money for it not to be disturbing

I know he's not the only one in this, but there's still this pattern around him...
what pattern?
Old 2021-02-03, 17:15
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Quote:
Few days later they give the pictures to everyone else on FB and extend them from 8 to 23...
I didn't see this! Do you have a link?

Quote:
Ooof...

I would also like to know more about this "pattern" you're talking about.

Otherwise, just saying but I'm fine with most of the symphonic suite. Some of the tracks are even... music to my ears? haha, no seriously some of them are very good and I'm glad we had this opportunity to listen to it. It's not every almost-30-year-old-game that gets its symphonic album!

I don't really like this tone of accusation that everyone seems to have about this album to be lame, like they didn't put their heart in it.
I think they did their best considering the situation.
Indeed the 800€ should give you the right to meet them, but you can probably wait after the pandemic at this point...
Old 2021-02-03, 17:21
Twinsunian Quetch

Sorry, I don't know where the link is, this was months ago on one of their FB pages, maybe if u scroll through their history on Wayo's page?

As per the waiting until after the pandemic, it's not that. The point is that the meeting we paid for was in order to be present for 1 evening and experience the recording process. Who would want to pay 400 EUR just for the "right" to meet the guys 2 years after the project has ended, without mentioning 500-1000 EUR more for plane and hotel? The whole point was the recording session. If that is over, then it makes no more sense to charge 400 EUR for it.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2021-02-03, 17:23

Hum okay then I guess it makes sense that you'd get reimbursed if you paid for something that you didn't (and will never) get
Old 2021-02-03, 19:01
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hin View Post
It's not every almost-30-year-old-game that gets its symphonic album!
Yeah... "symphonic".
There's been a lot of talk here in at least the last 4 pages about how it isn't really symphonic, but ok.
Old 2021-02-03, 19:40
Neko

Quote:
Sorry, I don't know where the link is, this was months ago on one of their FB pages, maybe if u scroll through their history on Wayo's page?

As per the waiting until after the pandemic, it's not that. The point is that the meeting we paid for was in order to be present for 1 evening and experience the recording process. Who would want to pay 400 EUR just for the "right" to meet the guys 2 years after the project has ended, without mentioning 500-1000 EUR more for plane and hotel? The whole point was the recording session. If that is over, then it makes no more sense to charge 400 EUR for it.
that is right, and you should get your money back. How many people paid for that privilege? I wonder what the impact would be of having to re-emburse that.
Old 2021-02-12, 03:13
strange dreamer

Quote:
Ooof...

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
Exactly! No idea either
Quote:
Oh, I think I have a few
So what was that all about, Polaris? What pattern? What ideas?
Old 2021-02-13, 15:06
Polly parrot

Yes, sorry ' So anyway,

When the LBAs released on GoG, you would get the OST as a bonus. Few months later they disappeared, right when Philippe uploaded the tracks to iTunes where, to this day, they are more expensive than the games themselves. From which you can extract the tracks in probably better quality.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phil on iTunes.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	10345

The other was the message he sent to Darkflame's family after his death...
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phil on Darkflame.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	10346
I just get such a weird vibe from this message... Like "Darkflame's family needs what's in the music I composed, and luckily, it will be played on stage ! (on November 1st)

So anyway, for me this kickstarter seems like just one other shady move from him, where his intentions can be interpreted both ways.
Old 2021-02-13, 17:05
strange dreamer

Quote:
Yes, sorry ' So anyway,

When the LBAs released on GoG, you would get the OST as a bonus. Few months later they disappeared, right when Philippe uploaded the tracks to iTunes where, to this day, they are more expensive than the games themselves. From which you can extract the tracks in probably better quality.
Attachment 10345

The other was the message he sent to Darkflame's family after his death...
Attachment 10346
I just get such a weird vibe from this message... Like "Darkflame's family needs what's in the music I composed, and luckily, it will be played on stage ! (on November 1st)

So anyway, for me this kickstarter seems like just one other shady move from him, where his intentions can be interpreted both ways.
hmm... you got a point there, polly!!
Old 2021-02-13, 21:07
Magic Ball Master

It could be just lost in translation, so I won't go there. Don't forget it's hard to express sentiment over text even harder when is not your mother language.

As for the musics, I found that normal when there's copyright involved. It happens with a lot of different media these days and we never know if the OST as a bonus content was intended to be limited for few months only based on GOG agreements.
I remember I bought it on iTunes back then and I had the original CD and ripped versions, it was mainly for convenience. Nowadays I listen to them via Spotify and I hope the Symphonic Suite could be added there at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetch
You forget the fact that we all backed the project before we knew about the pandemic. It affect you, me, everyone who backed but also affect them and their plans on the project. The price difference was symbolic to boost the project, not necessarily about the event.
I am still happy for being able to help the project and there is still possibility of meeting them at some stage.

I am really excited to finally receive the final products. Can't wait

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2021-02-13, 21:12
Twinsunian Quetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by xesf View Post
The price difference was symbolic to boost the project, not necessarily about the event.
I agreed with your entire post above, but this part right here, not really. 800 EUR is not a symbolic price difference no matter what the product is. Ok, maybe if it's for pre-booking a one-way trip to the moon, but not for a re-release of a 25 year-old soundtrack. Maybe I misunderstood your message, but despite how much I agree with you that nobody knew COVID will come, I can't say oh, things happen, no big losses. I wouldn't ask for a $10 refund maybe, but not for $960 (800 EUR).
Old 2021-02-13, 21:23
strange dreamer

Quote:
I agreed with your entire post above, but this part right here, not really. 800 EUR is not a symbolic price difference no matter what the product is. Ok, maybe if it's for pre-booking a one-way trip to the moon, but not for a re-release of a 25 year-old soundtrack. Maybe I misunderstood your message, but despite how much I agree with you that nobody knew COVID will come, I can't say oh, things happen, no big losses. I wouldn't ask for a $10 refund maybe, but not for $960 (800 EUR).
True. You could have gotten the 400 EUR tier instead. You can't charge double and go "oh but it was symbolic!!". (yes I know he was not charged, he voluntarily chose to pay it, but expecting something very clear in return, for which now isn't clear at all)
Old 2021-02-13, 23:13
Polly parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by xesf View Post
It could be just lost in translation, so I won't go there. Don't forget it's hard to express sentiment over text even harder when is not your mother language.
As for the musics, I found that normal when there's copyright involved. It happens with a lot of different media these days and we never know if the OST as a bonus content was intended to be limited for few months only based on GOG agreements.
Yeah, I know it's just... these keep piling up but maybe I just don't follow him closely enough to know what else he does... These last years, every time I heard about him, there was something weird involved...
Old 2021-02-14, 11:29
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
What I meant was the 400€ different from both last tiers was not intended for the event. The higher different was to boost the project to be closer to the first goal and sponsor the project. The event was like a cherry on top of the cake as an appreciation for supporting the project.
They understand the fact they couldn't record the session or having us there to attend. They send us the Medallion earlier than everyone else and I am pretty sure you have received the last message from them with some good news. May not be what you expected, but they are trying to minimise that impact and give something extra which is great in my point of view.

Old 2021-02-14, 11:36
Twinsunian Quetch

@xesf: I'll PM you if you can give me some details, because no, I have not received any message from them
Old 2021-02-14, 12:11
Neko

Phil vachey is very kind, even takes the time to talk to fans. I do not believe he is focused on money, even though that df message was a bit awkward.

I personally think he is one of the kindest and approachable 'famous' composers I know.
Old 2021-02-15, 12:30

It’s strange they did not communicate well with the people who funded for the meeting with the LBA team. They should give these backers two options: one is the promised meeting later this year or a $400 dollar refund.

There could be some question marks about the quality of the music, artistically choices of the composer, promises they did or did not delivered. I really believe Phil had the best intentions for this project it’s kind of disrespectful to say he did it for the money. The games would not be this epic without his musical score.
Old 2021-02-15, 13:02
Polly parrot

Quote:
Phil vachey is very kind, even takes the time to talk to fans. I do not believe he is focused on money, even though that df message was a bit awkward.

I personally think he is one of the kindest and approachable 'famous' composers I know.
I would be pretty happy to be wrong
Old 2021-02-15, 13:41
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsan View Post
It’s strange they did not communicate well with the people who funded for the meeting with the LBA team. They should give these backers two options: one is the promised meeting later this year or a $400 dollar refund.

There could be some question marks about the quality of the music, artistically choices of the composer, promises they did or did not delivered. I really believe Phil had the best intentions for this project it’s kind of disrespectful to say he did it for the money. The games would not be this epic without his musical score.
I have no complaints about their communication. I have received various emails during the process and they still haven't forgotten about the meeting. I don't think is going to happen this year, but in 2022 it should happen.