Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2007-02-01, 00:59
!!!!!

Linux (for human beings)

The Ugly Truth.
That is just so sad, and true, and hilarious
Old 2007-02-01, 02:11
Do the evolution.

Old 2007-02-01, 02:15
Magic Ball Master

Nice article

<posting serious in a funny thread>

But true? More like unwilling to try, you only need to know some basic stuff and you can always find the rest in onscreen help or manual pages. I still have to look up stuff all the time. It's not more complicated than, say, DOS, just more powerful.

And Ubuntu seems to be a very mature and stable, well maintained distro.

</>

HEHE LOL
Old 2007-02-01, 02:32
Do the evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
Nice article

<posting serious in a funny thread>

But true? More like unwilling to try, you only need to know some basic stuff and you can always find the rest in onscreen help or manual pages. I still have to look up stuff all the time. It's not more complicated than, say, DOS, just more powerful.

And Ubuntu seems to be a very mature and stable, well maintained distro.

</>

HEHE LOL
Well, I have NEVER, not a SINGLE time looked into windows help, even the first time I had it, in the times of Windows 3.1

Sorry, but the way windows organizes stuff is the easiest way. I see no reason to create something radically different, when you can jsut use the existing one that works fine.

A free system, to beat windows, needs to be 100% windows compatible, with the same stuff windows has, no stupid command line stuff - I don't even wan't to be aware of it's existence! I wan't to be able to use windows executable files, windows designed software etc.
Old 2007-02-01, 07:40
Master of Science & Magic

That's because the windows help isn't useful, if you can't figure something out in windows it won't help at all to look into the help documents. It's better to use google.
Old 2007-02-01, 11:30
Neko

true...I used to get mad at windows help

frankly, nowadays I don't even click help with other programs because I never expect the solution to be there.

Old 2007-02-01, 11:38
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Indeed. Windows help is only usefull if your missing something completely and utterly obvious.
Its kinda like a help desk saying "are you sure you switched it on?"

Quote:
A free system, to beat windows, needs to be 100% windows compatible, with the same stuff windows has, no stupid command line stuff - I don't even wan't to be aware of it's existence! I wan't to be able to use windows executable files, windows designed software etc.
Its called a monopoly.
You try to clone windows, you get shut down.

And, yes, indeed, for the record.
A typical linux GUI is no harder then windows by any anymeans.
Different does not mean harder, its just what your used too.

Heck, in some ways they are easier.
Windows dosnt have a nice massive database of free software in a list for your to browse and download at your wimm.

nah, the only down side of the Linux stuff is mostly the online community.
Its like an elitest club.
They dont really want Linux to spread, they like being suppiour

oh, and the prats at NVidia and ATI that constantly stop their drivers being bundeled with Linux. WHATS THE POINT?!!
They are only making it harder for people
Old 2007-02-01, 11:43
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
hmmm, lol :P
well, linux doest eat up a lot of ram just to play games or such, thats what i car about.
And the fact that i dont have to spend 70% of my spare time yelling on my computer that suddenly doest start windows, or installing firewalls and antivirus.
Old 2007-02-01, 12:14
Magic Ball Master

If you install and use Ubuntu or any major desktop linux distro, I don't think you ever have to enter a command prompt. Yeah, you need to press enter at the first "Boot: " prompt

As for my experiences, as long as you ask sensible questions and did the (truly) obvious research beforehand, people in linux communities are always willing to help you. The Gentoo forum is an excellent example of a nice large centralized community, and at a first glance the Ubuntu forum seems no different, maybe even better.

The Windows OS and its GUI have flaws, it's not perfect hence it would make no sense to completely mimmick it. And operating systems don't need to be "like Windows" or "Windows compatible" in order to be succesful, look at for example Mac OS X (I know it's only relatively succesful in the world - in no way comparable to the usage numbers of Windows). There only need to be suitable replacements for everything the user needs during common usage, which linux can offer.

Mainly gaming is and will be a problem for a long time.
Old 2007-02-01, 12:22
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
If you install and use Ubuntu or any major desktop linux distro, I don't think you ever have to enter a command prompt. Yeah, you need to press enter at the first "Boot: " prompt
not even that actually ^^(ubuntu)
Old 2007-02-01, 13:20
LBA fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek View Post
Sorry, but the way windows organizes stuff is the easiest way. I see no reason to create something radically different, when you can jsut use the existing one that works fine.
To be perfectly honest, I think a GNU/Linux system makes much more sense in general than a Windows system. In Windows you can rarely clearly see what's going on. You never know what's happening behind the stages. Linux is transparent.

Also, the main reason why Windows is 'easier' is because it's the first OS people come in contact with, the only OS people work with, and naturally the OS people grow attached with. Linux is actually arranged more logically than Windows in many -- if not all -- aspects.

I mean, what seems to make more sense? 'C:' or '/dev/hda'?

Oh, and newsflash: the way Linux is organized precedes the way Windows is organized. *nix has been around since the 60s. GNU/Linux was not created as a competitor for Windows; it was created as a free (as in open-source) alternative to the expensive proprietary Unices.

Last edited by Medur; 2007-02-01 at 13:33.
Old 2007-02-01, 13:54
!!!!!

None of this change the fact that I've been through the almost same thing that guy from the Uncyclopedia article had been though.

Linux is just funny
Old 2007-02-01, 14:06

C: is a drive
/dev/hda is a device
two completely different things.

in fact /dev/hda in windows is called:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)

unix doesn't have the concept of "drives" as dos/windows has, which makes things much more useful. You can put a partition anywhere in the three structure.

For example, you have a partition for just music, you can simply put it under /usr/music or /home/elmuerte/music
Old 2007-02-01, 14:34
!!!!!

BUT: Which is easier to remember to write?
/dev/hda1

OR

C:
Old 2007-02-01, 14:40

you don't need to write /dev/hda1
you need to write /
and / is easier than c:
Old 2007-02-01, 14:48
!!!!!

In Windows command line if I want to read a CD I just insert it and type D:

In Linux it's something with /mnt/blah or /media/mnt/cdrom .. I don't even remember right now.
Old 2007-02-01, 14:48
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
linux , for me is like a god damned prototype ... it's like a fucking uncompleted command-line-only shit , working in an uncomplete GUI ... I mean for Twinsen's sake , u have to be one of the people behind Linux in order to understand the smallest thing , which in Windows is called Next > ... in order to install a program , you must go in a terminal and type countless stuff in it and it takes more time that it would for me to completely erase and partition a Win95 drive using FDISK ... bottom line , it's like a lame emulator of something ... it tries to be good and all that , more stable than Windows , but let's be honest ... Linux is for people who don't want no crashes during a movie , a song or while surfing the net ... cause u can't program shit or play a decent game unless u hack a zillion of things to emulate things like WINE or program in unknown little languages , which BTW can't be exported ... or if they can , they will be even worst prototypes ...
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2007-02-01, 14:58
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
In Windows command line if I want to read a CD I just insert it and type D:

In Linux it's something with /mnt/blah or /media/mnt/cdrom .. I don't even remember right now.
Nah, it automounts and appears on your desktop.

How exactly is it logical that D: is a cdrom drive? It could be a harddisk for all we know. It's very confusing in fact. I have 15 drives on my Windows computer (A:, C: to N:, X:, Y: ) and there's no really knowing what it what until you have the description in Explorer. Sometimes when you add new hardware it mixes up the drives and makes stuff even more confusing. I'd prefer to have it in logical and fixed directories like /media/cdrom which yeah is a bit longer but makes much more sense.

One of the reasons I have a linux fileserver instead of dumping everything on my desktop computer is because it's much more flexible with file management.

*ignoring Quetch*

Last edited by wacko; 2007-02-01 at 15:04.
Old 2007-02-01, 15:13
Do the evolution.

I didn't said I never used help for windows becouse it is shitty (and it is...), I meant I never, ever, not even once needed it.

And there's also this:
http://www.reactos.org/
wich is imho going the right way, but I doubt it will be finished any time soon...
And yes, people making,managing all those linux distros act like some freakin elite, taking that people will take up on their logic for granted - I'm used to the way windows works, I've been keeping the same windows layout since my first 95, no bullshit in windows, useless buttons, adress bars, simple view!

When I install some piece of software under linux, it doesen't ask me in wich directory I'd like to have it installed... it just installs it where the hell it thinks is ok... It' creates an enourmous mess. I use 4 partitions(system,swap,temp,data) and I'd like it to stay that way, while everything the damned os installes goes to the primary one.
Untill it has a "windows-like" mode button for setting it up, and opens windows executables on normal double click I will not touch it.
Old 2007-02-01, 15:37
LBA fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Muerte View Post
C: is a drive
/dev/hda is a device
two completely different things.

in fact /dev/hda in windows is called:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)

unix doesn't have the concept of "drives" as dos/windows has, which makes things much more useful. You can put a partition anywhere in the three structure.

For example, you have a partition for just music, you can simply put it under /usr/music or /home/elmuerte/music
Yeah. Not to mention the standard organization of Linux folders in most distros is more intuitive than Windows's.

Ah, and wouldn't multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) be /dev/hda1? I only equalled /dev/hda to C: for the sake of simplicity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek View Post
When I install some piece of software under linux, it doesen't ask me in wich directory I'd like to have it installed... it just installs it where the hell it thinks is ok... It' creates an enourmous mess. I use 4 partitions(system,swap,temp,data) and I'd like it to stay that way, while everything the damned os installes goes to the primary one.
Untill it has a "windows-like" mode button for setting it up, and opens windows executables on normal double click I will not touch it.
It doesn't install 'where the hell it thinks it's ok', it installs in the default path environment, which is normally /usr. All you have to do is inform whichever installation method you're using where you want your stuff to be installed.
Old 2007-02-01, 15:52
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
I use 4 partitions(system,swap,temp,data) and I'd like it to stay that way
That sounds very much possible with linux, in fact it's perfect for stuff like that;

Use partition 1 for /
Use partition 2 for swap
Use partition 3 for /tmp
Use partition 4 for /home and /usr

You can all select that from the advanced graphical partition manager in the installer of most desktop distros.

If you install software using a package manager it installs it into the designated directories, thus not making a mess of your PC. Trick is to have those directories located on certain partitions/harddisks so it goes there.

I for one welcome alternatives to the controls of Windows, if that's unacceptable to you, don't force yourself and stick with it

ReactOS doesn't seem very attractive, it mimmicks Windows in every way, even the bad ones. The good thing about linux is (some) innovation and rapid development.

Program management in Windows can be a pain: the installers are inconsistent and the option to install it for all users or just for the current one has been introduced in only some of the more recent ones. It's very hard or impossible to install software and do other certain things from a non-administrator account, which should be possible from a security aspect. That's why nearly everybody uses an administrator account as main account, making the system quite vulnerable to viruses etc. Windows is flawed by design on many aspects, this is just an example.
Old 2007-02-01, 16:02
Do the evolution.

That's why I have high hopes for reactOS.
It will feature the windows gui I am used to, work with all windows software, but have nice linux stuff, like multiple desktops.

http://www.reactos.org/

So basically you say, that isntead of specyfing during the install where I wan't it, I will have to place the default folder in a different location??? That's kind of stupid....

Last edited by Jasiek; 2007-02-01 at 16:08.
Old 2007-02-01, 16:21
Magic Ball Master

Yes. Specify it once, install many programs automatically.

No more next, next, I agree, next, no wait install in that other directory, next, next, no I don't want icons on my desktop, next, no don't install optional adware, next, next, finish.
Old 2007-02-01, 16:25
Do the evolution.

What about different folders for games and programs then?
Old 2007-02-01, 16:31
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
"works with all windows software"

call my skeptical, because even windows dosnt do that
More to the point, I suspect it will be shut down like Lindows and others before it.

Quote:
So basically you say, that isntead of specyfing during the install where I wan't it, I will have to place the default folder in a different location??? That's kind of stupid....
Why so?
The locations arnt "real" in any way, they are just an index.

If an OS wants to pretend and present that its stored in a particaly ""folder"" what difference does it make to you?

Personly, I think we should scrap the whole folder system completely and just use a gmail-like label system. (which would kinda be like having the abilitys for files to be in two folders at once)

The harddrive is a database, its about time it acted like one