Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Modifications > LBA Modifications - General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 2017-02-15, 21:29
Quetching a Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
This is awesome! When this is done, I could use that to finally bring my project to bring back the Well of Sendell to LBA 2 whose island files the game has references to but not the actual files, to the next stage.
I cannot believe that this thread now has over 1,000 views!
That's never happened to me before! Thanks, Battler!

Anyways, yes, as said - loads of work, but it will be very much so worth it!

It's interesting you mention that, I totally remember reading that somewhere - probably right in that thread you've just linked me to! Glad that I could be of much help! It's just a matter of implementation for the program right now. Something I've asked Zinc (but still need a little clearing on), have you managed to add or subtract entries from an already existing HQR file? I'd love to (at one point or another) alter one of the islands in the game and make it as 'big' as it can possibly get - including the scene files and everything!

What's even more interesting is that I've wondered how the Well of Sendell would actually look in the game. This is one of the many more reasons we need a model creator, not just an editor - but an actual creator! I can totally see Sendell in the low - poly lm2 format! She'd probably have multiple bones to account for her tail, and I could see her eyes being used as spheres! I always thought it was too bad that Fred never had a model of her made - she only exists in the cutscenes and the lim images near the end of the game.
Old 2017-02-15, 21:34
Quetching a Mr.

Although it's a little off-topic, learning all of this has also helped for my Nintendo 64 'development environment'. Using Game Maker Studio, I hope to at one point make a modeler for the N64. Additionally speaking, as I've said multiple times already, a program for LBA2 modeling. I could make the models already in a program, but if I did - they still would NOT work. Xesf says that there is still some info in the headers of the lm2s that need work, specifically the first two lines. It makes me sad because I've worked so hard on figuring some of this stuff out - but some of it still boggles my mind. Such to the point where some of it feels 'impossible', but they do say that the only limit is how much you know.
Old 2017-02-16, 17:14
Quetching a Mr.

Finally figured out how to get triangles working in both 2D and 3D space last night! I will use this towards all kinds of programs - a Game Maker, OpenGL, N64, and LBA2 Model Creator / Conversions!
Old 2017-02-17, 02:31
Quetching a Mr.

Hey, just letting you guys know that I've been working a little too fast - need to spend a little more time easing off. I'll keep working, but just not as fast. Believe me, I want more programs like you guys - and it'll come eventually. Hopefully later this year, and if not, then you guys are out of luck for the next 2 years or however long I'm out for on my mission (yes, that's still the plan). As far as the programming matter is concerned, it's just like that moment with Angelus working on his LBA Remake - being worn out from too much programming.

I'll try to get images of sprites up soon, and with the addition of that box creator I've been talking about.
Old 2017-02-19, 07:00
Quetching a Mr.

My apologies for the later times, but as promised, here's an image regarding the box creator for LBA2. Again, remember that it's simple! Here I show a box that has different colors on all triangles (some repetitious patterns). As said before, this was initially the fence posts that you seen near Twinsen's neighbor's house, hence the triangle-fan formation on the top of the model. What's nice about this little program is that the normals are already generated for you, but if you 'invert' the selection of vertices you'll see the inside of the model and the normals will likewise reverse.

Hey, it's not much. But it just goes to show that model editing is possible for the game. I don't remember if I've said it yet or not, but I'm also working on a program that converts an LM2 to binary hex. It sounds funny because LM2's are already in hex (unless viewed by a different base), but the program is going to take all the bytes, and write them out in a text file (byte per row), so then I can go and find the colors 'bytes' and then replace those with a variable, so we should at one point (as I said at the beginning of the thread) have a color changer for LBA2.

Sorry for the delays again, but progress is still being made. I'll try to get sprites up next week.

Edit: Just noticed that the render types should say "Goraud", not "Dithered". Need to get some sleep soon - staying up late. The dithered actually contains the render type that has an alpha. You may have also noticed that one part of the box shows as red though it's actually white. It's just the red and white are right next to each other on LBA2 pallete (OpenGL seems to have a problem with the colors being too close to each other and doesn't know how to 'shade' the model).

I'm not sure if this means anything Xesf, Zinc, Lupin, or Battler, but it seems that the farther away a normal is from it's vertex, the more colors from the pallete get 'squished' together across the surface of a triangle for Lm2's.

Last edited by MrQuetch; 2017-02-19 at 07:10.
Old 2017-02-22, 18:32
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQutch
It's interesting you mention that, I totally remember reading that somewhere - probably right in that thread you've just linked me to! Glad that I could be of much help! It's just a matter of implementation for the program right now. Something I've asked Zinc (but still need a little clearing on), have you managed to add or subtract entries from an already existing HQR file? I'd love to (at one point or another) alter one of the islands in the game and make it as 'big' as it can possibly get - including the scene files and everything!
My LBA Resource Manager can add/remove items from a HQR file. I need to find and upload it somewhere, though beware, it's written in *shiver* Visual Basic 6, so it probably doesn't perform as well as it could and it looks like something from 10+ years ago.

Download: http://citadel.rol.im/RManager400_rc5.zip . It's verified to work on Windows 10 build 14393 (1607 update final).
Old 2017-02-22, 23:15
Quetching a Mr.

Quote:
My LBA Resource Manager can add/remove items from a HQR file. I need to find and upload it somewhere, though beware, it's written in *shiver* Visual Basic 6, so it probably doesn't perform as well as it could and it looks like something from 10+ years ago.

Download: http://citadel.rol.im/RManager400_rc5.zip . It's verified to work on Windows 10 build 14393 (1607 update final).
Thanks! That's totally fine! I appreciate your help, Battler! I don't mind about the age of the program, honestly, as long as it works - I'm good. I've been using the LBA Model Viewer - that's well over 10 years.

For everyone else - I'm still working on LBA programs! Just hang in there! Things at work have been piling up, so progress on the programs have been halt slightly. I'll try to get sprites up tonight.
Old 2017-03-03, 07:26
Quetching a Mr.

Hey, guys.

I know it's been awhile. As said from before, I'm still working on the programs. In fact, I've been learning some pretty cool stuff. Hopefully I can show you guys some more of these things in the future. Using GML (Game Maker Language), along with some C, I might be able to make an LBA inspired game at some point. I can load OBJ files into GML and ultimately save as a usable format for GML games themselves and even graphic display lists for the N64. Unfortunately, the LBA2 format is still pretty difficult to decipher (in terms of it's header layout).

But, with the progress I've made, I could show you guys models from LBA 1 / 2 on a 64 bit system (N64). I've also managed to import BMP colors into GML - this should make it easier to create images / sprites for the LBA1 / 2 games. I know that I have yet to show progress of sprites. For the N64, this could go for sprites and textures. Sorry again - will get up stuff hopefully this weekend.

I appreciate the views though - starting to make me want to work more on the programs.

One last thing, I've managed to 'animate' simple line segments in my own animation program, which should be useful for GML games - hope to get polygons working as well for that. I could possibly use this for skinned and articulated characters like Fred managed to do early on in his career. It'd be cool to see LBA2 in another 'rendering' type of engine (not exact as I don't have original source code, but similar).

Hope I'm making some people out their happy. Hang tight fellas.
Old 2017-03-05, 03:45
Quetching a Mr.

Before I forget, and in case I can't reply any other time this weekend, here's this. I've had it on my computer for awhile, but have been meaning to post it. This was a little back when I started getting sprites to work. The only color I had working from the pallet ate the time were the brown hues.

So... I literally drew a poop emogie (or however that word is spelled). I may add loading support so drawing out the sprites becomes even easier.

So I replaced the magic ball with this new sprite, but I just noticed - Twinsen looks like he's going to slip and fall into the poop.

Oh well... Sorry it's been awhile again. Hope that's understandable.
Old 2017-03-18, 05:38
Quetching a Mr.

Sorry guys - really backed up with work, but now I have a bit of a break.

I just concocted an insane idea within the past week. I plan on adding a program that takes the contents of an OBJ file (which is a practically human-readable format), and saves that into a hex-binary format that my LBA2 terrain program can read. This way, I should be able to model a scene (heightmaps that is) in 3ds Max or other similar modeling software, and as long as it has the right amounts of vertices, etc, it should work. The length and widths of the vertices wouldn't matter, the program would only take into consideration the depths of the slopes (vertex heights).

There's no doubt it shouldn't work. Knowing both C and GML has helped a lot in what I'm doing.

Unfortunately, the LBA2 models are still hard to decipher. The main problem is the first two lines that make up the header of the models - those feel somewhat impossible. Though they aren't it sure feels like it. If anyone wants a go at that, be my guest.

Xesf said he'd look at that once he gets the time.

Thanks again everyone - surprised the views are still going.
Old 2017-04-02, 10:18
Polly parrot

The wait for LBA3 developped this ability to keep being interested in something for a long time.

Or maybe we already had this ability, and that's why we're all here
Old 2017-04-03, 18:54
Quetching a Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
The wait for LBA3 developped this ability to keep being interested in something for a long time.

Or maybe we already had this ability, and that's why we're all here
Isn't that great? It's pretty amazing if you think about it. Even after roughly 20 (I say rough because LBA2's 20th anniversary isn't here yet - which also just so happens to be the day I was born) years we're still finding more ways of altering the game in some form or another.

I may not be very advanced in programming, but having practiced it more and more has led me to think of new ways in which I can make a program that edits assets (or almost anything computer related for that matter).

I kind of feel stupid right now for how many extra posts I have that simply don't need to be here. I've been referring to Zinc's thread just below mine, and the comments are far less than the views - same goes for mine. But, if you think about it, I guess it's like how Angelus feels about making his LBA game from scratch. Sometimes it's fun, sometimes it's boring - and sometimes are so exhausting you feel like complete garbage and need a long break.

As far as your last statement is concerned, I'm totally convinced that's it. Maybe if I looked at the headers for the files again I could figure something out. I'm not too sure though. Sometimes I feel like I waste a lot of time trying to figure some of this stuff out. The more simple things... Not as much. But those LM2 file formats... crap - truly a LOT of work.

My best bet for LM2 files at this point is to just physically print out all of the LM2 file headers in hex on paper and compare all of them in relation to their stats. I should've done that a long time ago.

As said before, I've been able to do some importing and exporting options in programs, so it is very well possible that I could make an 'OBJ to LM2' converter or even a 'GML to LM2' converter. The last option would be nice because I know GML very well and I could make it so the user could add 'bones' for animated models.

I already know how the ANM files are stored, but I cannot figure out the stinkin' models. It's weird because you'd expect animations to be more difficult, but I guess not. Come to think of it, the models use a lot of info just to set everything in the right places.

I know I talk too much. But, hopefully it's understandable. By the way, I'm happy you posted.
Old 2017-04-03, 19:04
Quetching a Mr.

Quote:
This is awesome! When this is done, I could use that to finally bring my project to bring back the Well of Sendell to LBA 2 whose island files the game has references to but not the actual files, to the next stage.
I've already responded to this, but may I ask how you managed to figure out that the game didn't have files but references to the Well of Sendell? Just a curious question is all.
Old 2017-04-19, 00:18
Quetching a Mr.

Hey guys, I know it's been awhile - my apologies. I've managed to make quite a bit more progress (which is good).

Unfortunately, there is still no model creator for LBA2. Additionally, the first two lines of the headers are still not discovered (but maybe a few bytes or so regarding body and z-buffer flags). Finally, I had to remake one of my programs because the source was getting too cluttered and difficult to read - so now it's much nicer and simple. But, I got a little bit of info from Xesf, so that's good. I have however managed to get a bit better at loading the models... I can now edit the vertices of any model from LBA2 (save and load of course), and then try it out in the game!

It still needs more work, and only partially works. I still don't have a tool yet for colors, but that shouldn't be hard. You can see the vertices in the program, but they don't really line up to the model in a specific way, so it's almost like you're looking at cluttered points and have no real distinction where any particular thing is as of yet. Once I can somehow 'convert' the coordinates properly into my program, the models should be easier to distinguish.

It's been a long time, and it's been rough - but I'm still pulling through.

Tags
changer, color, creator, lba2, surface