Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Projects > LbaNet
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LbaNet Multiplayer version of LBA1

Old 2009-12-06, 12:07
World Designer: Colozen

Send a message via MSN to DarkOnistar
LBAnet New World

I'm making a new world for LBAnet.
In this thread I'll be posting grids I've made.

I want to know what you think a world needs.
Also discuss the grids posted up.

Starting area - teleporters or cloning?

Village Bazzar - An area with entrances to shops and a big out..indoor area which is supposed to be like a maze.

Village part1 - This area connects to the north part of the Village Bazzar.

Ship1 - Hasn't been named yet and the design was limited because the tiles only allow me to layout the ship in a set way. I wanted to make a slightly larger ship which had a bridge, engineering and a cargo bay which players could talk/roleplay or whatever.

The world at the moment doesn't have a name, so feel free for suggestions as nobody wants to call our planet BOB do they?</joke>
Lord of the rings / LBA2 Spoof videos
Old 2009-12-06, 15:40
Look beyond reality.

Wow. Keep doing what you're doing!
Old 2009-12-06, 16:20
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Yes it looks quite good!
I pretty like the starting area, it would really look like you start as a clone from nowhere and you need to find out what happened

so do you want to concentrate only on LBA2 maps or you want to do a mix of LBA1 and LBA2 maps?
Old 2009-12-06, 17:37
You what?!

The Bazaar looks kind of messy, I think you should make it simpler. It looks like you were trying too hard to make it interesting and it went too far.

The others are better, although the spaceship is strange, why would they make a bigger private shuttle like that? Maybe you could make it more like a commercial flight might be, with rows of chairs like you find on an aeroplane?
Old 2009-12-06, 18:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincevent_123 View Post
Yes it looks quite good!
I pretty like the starting area, it would really look like you start as a clone from nowhere and you need to find out what happened
After the update with the actors it made me wonder if there was an actor there who when speaking to questions you or something like that; feeding information to the new player but not an encyclopaedia as that would be kinda over the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincevent_123 View Post
so do you want to concentrate only on LBA2 maps or you want to do a mix of LBA1 and LBA2 maps?
I will mix them but I think LBA2 has great indoor grids. I will need to use LBA1 grids for making the outside world.

==========

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitarii View Post
The Bazaar looks kind of messy, I think you should make it simpler. It looks like you were trying too hard to make it interesting and it went too far.
I wondered that after making it. I'm not sure but I might end of splitting that over 2 grids instead of 1, that way it wouldn't look messy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitarii View Post
The others are better, although the spaceship is strange, why would they make a bigger private shuttle like that? Maybe you could make it more like a commercial flight might be, with rows of chairs like you find on an aeroplane?
Ideas at the time came by what I recently had seen. I had been looking at ship designs and one that was stuck in my head was the 'Starcraft Dropship' which has a rectangular shape (only exit was at the back, which exits can only be south-west facing due to tiles).

I think the idea of a commercial flight sounds better; I'm just thinking about the seating arrangements as they only face 2 directions.

===========

Start_to_village - From the spawn area I showed earlier to the Bazaar area.
I was thinking of adding a train system which linked to another grid.. but figured that would make things complicated when simplicity works well here.

Village_Royal - This is a simple throne room. I was thinking of perhaps adding another exit that led to the spaceship I did earlier but didn't bother.

Village_School - I want to make a complete musquibee village with buildings you can walk in. Since the tiles don't really give me much variety on what I can do I tried to improvise. This is supposed to be a classroom (idea was from seeing a lecture theatre).
Old 2009-12-06, 18:41
You what?!

The school is very good. The throne room seems a bit strange though, did you have a function in mind?
Old 2009-12-06, 19:58

I had an idea at first. (picturing different throne rooms; the one from Castle Britain from Ultima Online popped up in my mind alot)
My mind has gone blank now about what to do about that room. I kept it simple so if I could add to it later if need be.

I think it should serve as a room for the village elders to speak in or something like that. (That's how castle britain was. Except the king was controlled by an admin, who used the room for appointments ^^)
Old 2009-12-06, 21:03
Magic Ball Master

Great work.
Don't forget to add invisible bricks to the village, or players will easily fall off of those platforms. Invisible brick editing isn't that easy in LBArchitect, but it's required to make the map work out properly in-game.
Old 2009-12-06, 21:32

I removed every invisible block before starting.
I know I'll have to do it, but I'm going to do it level by level (you can show max elevation in LBA-Architect).

I don't want to spend hours on something that might not be implemented, so when one stage is done I'll do that as the 2nd stage.
Old 2009-12-07, 16:12
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Great work here!
Old 2009-12-08, 22:13

I've done 2 maps and altered a previous one. Still using the musiqubee grids which are proving challenging when they're meant to be used for the few scenes you see of the village in LBA2.

This is the Village Bazaar grid simplified. It shouldn't be too messy any more and you can tell instantly where your character stands now.

VillageMail - I was wondering what I could use this for and when creating this I had "Pokemon Rescue Dungeon" pepper mail centre in mind. When I was making it I wondered if it would of been better as a bank or a mail office. I'm not even sure if it turned out ok or not.

VillageShop - Simple tiny shop that could serve potions.
Old 2009-12-08, 22:28
You what?!

These are all good, you're getting better! The post office grid is good, but I'm not sure how useful it could be? To send messages to other members perhaps, although it seems a bit inconvenient to make people to go the post office every time they want to do that.
Old 2009-12-08, 22:32

Perhaps a bank then?
There is nothing saying what it is; I only named it after what I was originally thinking.

I think I'll make a house next and then go onto a different type of grid.
Old 2009-12-08, 23:11
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
The post office could be used to send items to players, but that would need to be a feature of the engine.
Old 2009-12-09, 00:42
Look beyond reality.

Or it could be used as a place where an NPC can give you quests. Nothing better for find-and-bring-me-item-x type of quests than from a mailman, right?
Old 2009-12-09, 12:26
Magic Level: Fire Ball

I am planning to add a bank system and a mail system later into the engine, so both option will be possible.
Old 2009-12-09, 12:52
Classic

cooooool
Every time we think of feature, your already working on it
Old 2009-12-09, 13:32

Village_House - A simple house; there wasn't much I could add as the tileset limits me, but improvising I made a bed and a dining room with perhaps a kitchen or something behind it.

I tried building using the LBA1 tileset for outdoors, unfortunately I've run into problems with LBAarchitect which for some reason keeps insisting I load the wrong tileset to open the grid. (I'm gonna have to fiddle about with LBAarchitect to get it to work).

That mail centre or whatever you want it. It could do both.
There is more than one hatch so maybe it could be different per hatch? I dunno, but what I do know is that there's a door that lets you walk inside the small room. -- What decides it will probably be what feature comes first or what you consider more useful.

========
Update edit:

I found out why LBA1 grids wouldn't save properly. I was trying to some how save LBA1 maps using LBA2 tilesets.. so although positions were right it would only load LBA2 tilesets. I fixed it by simply loading a LBA1 map and then loading the LBA1 grid (It was a graphical glitch I think).

Outside1 - The angle has changed but you should notice the exits/entrances to the village1 grid. There is a house, bridge and I've still yet to create the rest.

Makers_House - This is the house in the grid above. I would of said that its indirectly my house; the basement will lead to loads of challenges (mazes.. etc).

Last edited by DarkOnistar; 2009-12-09 at 22:12.
Old 2009-12-10, 13:10
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkOnister View Post

Outside1 - The angle has changed but you should notice the exits/entrances to the village1 grid. There is a house, bridge and I've still yet to create the rest..
You are using the wrong water tiles for this grid - the garbled-looking water is only used for the summit of Tippet Island, to show that it's far below. This water is right on the same level as the player so it should be normal.
Old 2009-12-10, 14:33
You what?!

The outside grid is nice but it looks a little flat... I don't really know how to improve it, everything just looks unnaturally perfect, the grass in particular. Maybe a few more rocks and plants and things dotted around?
Old 2009-12-10, 17:50

Updated: Outside1 - I admit the way the water comes in/out land looked too odd so I tried to make it look abit more natural. I added flowers but I wasn't sure what looked right at all (I think it looks odd now, but you can decide).

Edit: Oh and I changed the water as noted. - I chosen that water tile since it looked bright.. but there was a reason for that. (I thought that the tile was like 'light tropical' type tile.)

Last edited by DarkOnistar; 2009-12-10 at 17:55.
Old 2009-12-10, 17:54
Magic Ball Master

Hehe.

Now you're using the dark water. In the original game, it was only used below bridges to show that it's in the shadow. But of course you can still use it as a darker variant of water.
Old 2009-12-10, 17:58

There are only 2 water tiles on this tileset I'm using.
Either I use 'dark water' or 'blurry water' from the summit of Tippet Island.
I did look for others but that's the only one I could find. It should be ok I think.

Edit: This is a quick something I made in paint.

It shows roughly what I'm working to do at the moment. When the island is done I can stop for the time being.
- I'm looking for names for the island, or even the world.

Last edited by DarkOnistar; 2009-12-10 at 18:31.
Old 2009-12-12, 20:50

(not double post: Edit time expired. )

Outside_Research - This continues on from the outside grid. There are essentially two different research labs that are split up within the same complex.

I'm going to create the island and then I can go through the steps to completing and then adding it to LBAnet.
More islands might follow, but for now its going to be one of those 'zone locked' type things until another area is complete (which will be a long way off)
Old 2009-12-12, 22:48
Magic Ball Master

Good work.

Maybe the edges of the street need a little bit or work, but you can leave them if you like them better this way.