Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Projects > LbaNet
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LbaNet Multiplayer version of LBA1

Old 2009-12-02, 15:03
World Designer: Colozen

Send a message via MSN to DarkOnistar
World/Map creation?

I was wondering what you use for creating maps for LBAnet.

Is it purely coding or do use something so it makes things easier (such as an editor to make the grid maps, then perhaps coding after).

I'm considering making a completely new world for LBAnet and I'm wondering how possible that would be.

----
I saw this project not long ago and was quite impressed when I tried it out.

My skills are in CAD (still have abit to learn about modelling) and engineering at the moment.
In my free time I like to create things (they've been various things; as you can see by my signature) and even if its just the layout or grid system for a whole new world.. It'd be cool and interesting to make.
Lord of the rings / LBA2 Spoof videos
Old 2009-12-02, 16:41
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Thanks for your interest in Lbanet
Actually, it is already possible to create new world for lbanet without any coding involved.

The whole world information is contained into data files usually stored in human readable xml format.

-To design new maps, the first step would be to use lbarchitect tool made by Zink.

-Then there is a tool to convert grid files produced by lbarchitect into the lbanet format. You can download this tool here: http://lbanet.googlecode.com/files/lbanet_map_tools.rar

-Once you have created your maps, to connect them and make them part of a new world you will need to create an xml description file around it.

This step is a bit difficult currently because you need to do that manually, but at later stage I am going to release an editor to simplify the process. However if you are interested you can already have a look at the file Lbanet/Data/Lba1Expanded.xml with a text editor to see how it has been done for the lbaexpanded world.

There is also a small document that I wrote some time again going a bit into details. You can find it here: http://lbanet.googlecode.com/files/L...nformation.pdf

Hope this help already, but if you are reall motivated to create a new world then you can send me a PM. I might then be able to help you with it directly
I would suggest you to first concentrate on the map creation part. For the 3rd step you can ask me and I should be able to help.
Old 2009-12-02, 20:57

Alright I'll give it a shot

I'm at the moment sorting out the paths for LBA_Architect.
I've used it before and had even made quite an amazing small map but its bugged. Vista declared it was a virus and removed it as a threat.
My old map was using LBA2 grids to make a new modified version of Otringal; the inside of the spaceport corridors/departure lounge.

I'm going to experiment abit first.
Since I'm a roleplayer in games I think I'll probably add those elements.
Eg. Cafe, prison, houses.. while still trying to keep the LBA style theme.

--------
Question:
*Does it matter what type of grids they have to be?
LBA1 format? or LBA2?

*Are scenes required?
(I haven't covered scenes yet - As I was experimenting with only grids before).
Old 2009-12-02, 23:05

Both LBA1 and LBA2 grid are ok so you can choose.
Scene are not required and also not supported, only the map part will be taken into consideration.
Old 2009-12-03, 11:59

I've experimented abit and made a grid.
After creating what you can see I've noticed invisible blocks (I'm guessing they're the 'no jump, no walk' zones).

One of the biggest problems making this I found was: height (I fixed that) and some blocks are made specific for certain things, such as making ladders to platforms taller isn't possible without warping the appearance of the wall and all that.

Question: Can you mix block sets together?
Its just an idea, but I was thinking of making a big spaceship based of the shuttle blocks, but the selection is limited to what there is.. so mixing sets together would allow more variety to what can be placed down. (for example. shuttle blocks + Otringal blocks?)
-------
I looked at the lbaExpanded.xml and some parts seem quite simple and at the same time I can see how it can get complicated quickly. (reminds me of HTML.. although then again it is xml after all).

====
Edit: Finished making my own ship based off the shuttle. (I can't believe how many 'runtime errors' I had, especially when splitting an object apart for the blocks.

Edit2: I've created a spawn area for new users (in the circle), from which they can follow the path or perhaps use the teleporters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	save1.jpg‎
Views:	424
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	8280   Click image for larger version

Name:	ship1.jpg‎
Views:	544
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	8281   Click image for larger version

Name:	start.jpg‎
Views:	620
Size:	538.7 KB
ID:	8282  

Last edited by DarkOnistar; 2009-12-03 at 21:22. Reason: adding screenshots of map grids
Old 2009-12-03, 13:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkOnister View Post
I've experimented abit and made a grid.
After creating what you can see I've noticed invisible blocks (I'm guessing they're the 'no jump, no walk' zones).
thats right invisible blocks are used to set up invisible walls.

Quote:
One of the biggest problems making this I found was: height (I fixed that) and some blocks are made specific for certain things, such as making ladders to platforms taller isn't possible without warping the appearance of the wall and all that.
actually for ladder you do not need to take care of that when building a map. With lbarchitect you just need to define the appareance, the rest will be done later inside lbanet.

Quote:
Question: Can you mix block sets together?
Its just an idea, but I was thinking of making a big spaceship based of the shuttle blocks, but the selection is limited to what there is.. so mixing sets together would allow more variety to what can be placed down. (for example. shuttle blocks + Otringal blocks?)
Unfortunatly it is not possible to mix blocks using lbarchitect for now. Lbanet however could handle it, but it would mean that you would need to manually edit map file without editor so it gets quite complicated.

Quote:
I looked at the lbaExpanded.xml and some parts seem quite simple and at the same time I can see how it can get complicated quickly. (reminds me of HTML.. although then again it is xml after all).
thats right xml and html are really similar things, but as i said, i would suggest you to first concentrate on the map creation. Once you have a few maps and you want to connect them together just send me an PM and I should be able to help you.
Old 2009-12-05, 11:58
Polly parrot

These maps look cool ! I hope they'll be added to the game !
Old 2009-12-06, 11:31

Ideally.

I'm going to start a new thread up to discuss the maps.
That way people can ask for what they want and I'll see about trying to add it in.

- Oh I seen the NPC actors. Although they don't do too much at the moment, they do however make the worlds seem less empty and abandoned like.
on LBA1expanded some are stuck in walls (namely the Museum).

- I also had trouble updating on Vista, but fixed it myself. (LBAnet doesn't automatically add itself to Windows Ports, so although updater loads.. no update is possible until ports are opened by adding the program.)
Old 2010-01-06, 19:50
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Quote:
Unfortunatly it is not possible to mix blocks using lbarchitect for now.
That's, of course, wrong. You can easily add another BLL's layouts to another one, either using the LBArchitect Factory program, or even using my LBA Brick Layout Library Editor.
Old 2010-01-19, 22:02
First time poster

Some time ago I started to develop a program tat would be help to edit LBANet's activities such as maps and xml data files.
And when I tried to draw the lba map using simple drawing of block's png's using the rules determinated in LBA..Information file I got only a mix of random blocks)
As far as I recognized for each Y coordinate first X-Z matrix represents a set of real Images where numbers means the order position of block in blocks loading list, but usually there are 2 other layouts... May i ask you about their meaning?