Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Projects > LbaNet
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LbaNet Multiplayer version of LBA1

Old 2009-10-10, 11:37
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Your suggestions

If you have some suggestion of features or in game mechanism that you would like to be implemented in the game please post your ideas here.

Keep in mind that the team will do a maximum to content everybody, however we can not assure that all suggestions will become reality.
Old 2009-10-19, 14:00
You what?!

Okay, massive idea and it would probably be very difficult to do but I think it would be very awesome. Allow for playing the storyline as regularly as LBAWin, but co-operative with two players? You wouldn't need to do anything fancy to try and incorporate the second player into the storyline, just have two Twinsen sprites, who essentially have to do everything in the story themselves (talk to players, pick up important objects), but they can fight alongside in general.

I guess this is a very far away suggestion, but maybe something cool to think about.
Old 2009-10-19, 16:02

Actually, I hope that this will be made possible one day.
What I am trying to create is a complete game engine + a set of editing tools allowing anybody to create worlds and share them with the community.

Once the game engine is finished (featuring npc, quests and fighting) then I hope it should be possible to recreate the lba1 storyline into a new separate world using the editor tools available.

The gameplay then might not be exactly the same as in the original game, but we should be pretty close I think.
Old 2009-10-19, 17:13
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Imho, full effort should be made on expanding the possibility of what the game world can do.
The interactive the game world, the easier it is to invent game play, or for players to make their own gameplay.

Heres an incomplete list of sensible and silly features Id like;

* Let players not only post messages to eachother, but also let them write notes to stick on objects, or at any location in the landscape.
They should also be a few island-noticeboards though for specific player messages.

* Ensure money and items can be swapped between players in some way.

* Pushing blocks and switchs to push them on too. Yeah, pretty common stuff, but it would be handy if this was in the engine.

* In any multiplayer game, differences between players really are needed to help identify people easier. So, basically, ensure its easy to add clothing variations. (even if its just colour, texture, or given the characters a hat).

* Persistent data. Anything the player has when they left, they should have when they login.

* Meca-Penguins-ators. Think The Terminator, only with robot penguins. You can set these things going after any player you like, and they absolutely will not stop untill they blow up next to them.

* Some "hot/cold" item that can tell you when your near something or someone. Not sure how this could be implemented, but "hide and seek" style games seem to be possible in the engine already, with players giving clues to where they are. This could help that aspect.
Old 2009-10-19, 17:58
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
* Meca-Penguins-ators. Think The Terminator, only with robot penguins. You can set these things going after any player you like, and they absolutely will not stop untill they blow up next to them.
Lolz, a great idea...the ultimate griefing tool, an unstoppable force.
Old 2009-10-19, 23:16

Quote:
* Let players not only post messages to eachother, but also let them write notes to stick on objects, or at any location in the landscape.
They should also be a few island-noticeboards though for specific player messages.
I think this is a good idea. I will try to implement something like this.
Quote:
* Ensure money and items can be swapped between players in some way.
This is already planned.
Quote:
* Pushing blocks and switchs to push them on too. Yeah, pretty common stuff, but it would be handy if this was in the engine.
This is also planned.
Quote:
* In any multiplayer game, differences between players really are needed to help identify people easier. So, basically, ensure its easy to add clothing variations. (even if its just colour, texture, or given the characters a hat).
Currently, we can already choose between 3 bodies and a set of colors. We can also choose player name color. I think more than that will be hard since it mean creating new animated models. Currently this in not possible. Maybe with Lbanimator studio 2 from Link this could be possible this I can not tell.
Quote:
* Persistent data. Anything the player has when they left, they should have when they login.
This is what I am working on currently, should be released soon together with inventory stuff.

Quote:
Sounds funny

Quote:
* Some "hot/cold" item that can tell you when your near something or someone. Not sure how this could be implemented, but "hide and seek" style games seem to be possible in the engine already, with players giving clues to where they are. This could help that aspect.
Sounds also interesting, however I have to say it might be a bit complicated to implement.
Old 2009-10-20, 14:22
Polly parrot

I was thinking that we could also have some boat to drive... it would be fun to go around in the boat he uses on the hamalyi mountains (before the Dino-Fly) This way, we could also create full maps with waterways to go from an island to an other.
Old 2009-10-24, 23:25
Previously Link

Yeah, a single map for the whole world, kind of like in GTA or something, would be cool.
Old 2009-10-25, 09:57

That would be great indeed.
However this will require a lot of new map to mod.
And also a kind of map preloading and caching mechanism.
BUt the ida is good and it would be great to have for sure!
Old 2009-11-21, 04:05
a big Mooo to you all :-)

Hey great stuff- I havnt been on here for a while- nice to come back to see a great project developed.
Suggestions?

Continue Rebellion Island (add the Rebel camp)
-Im not sure if you mean the LBA1 world or Kobolds LBA1expanded world- but I was referring to the latter, as the first one there are many more glitches, doors that lead to nowhere, and yeah I assume you know it all. I was just wondering if these suggestions were for your world or Kobolds one. Summarizing: LBA1expanded which pretty much has all the maps doesn't have the rebel camp.

Maybe add the snowboard somewhere, that you can only use on slopes?

And a few stationary characters would be cool- ones that you could interact with, but pretty much are just signposts that tell you a couple of things. Maybe several characters per map or island- eg: Julia, a groboclone on a break, Rummaging Rabbibunny, Joe or Raymond. Maybe you could also have them say different things when you talk to them, or different things depending on maybe something you do/or something you've done in the game. Or is that turning it into a game more than a chat-world?

Thank-you Rincevent, I'm very keen to know when you might be bringing out the next version too
Old 2009-11-21, 12:37
Magic Ball Master

The rebel camp is accessible, though only from a hidden spot with Dino-Fly. (I didn't add that, the original LBA had it, you just didn't have Dino-Fly to get there.)
Old 2009-11-21, 14:01

NPCs will be added in the next major release also I do not have a release date for it at the moment. Hopefully before the end of the year but nothing is sure.
Old 2009-11-21, 23:48

@Kobold: O yup, found it now. But (apart from teleporting) is it possible to get out of the Rebel Camp?
Also, it would be cool to make rooms for those soldiers bunkers in the Hamalayi mountains...
And one more thing- its really easy to get stuck outside the map (in the black area) when you're flying on Dinofly, on the Brundle Island dock map, trying to fly across the sea into the next map

Last edited by RosaMarietheCow; 2009-11-22 at 00:17.
Old 2009-11-22, 13:59
Magic Ball Master

Yes it's possible to get out of the Rebel Camp too, try flying right over the northern corner of the scene (of the actual scenery, not the black corner further to the north.)
Old 2009-12-08, 20:02
World Designer: Colozen

Send a message via MSN to DarkOnistar
Here are my suggestions.
  • Quests/Tasks
  • Bounty Board (Players make events! - The event host deposits the reward item to be picked up by who ever completes the task, or it gets returned if event is cancelled.)
  • Moving NPCs (It would be cool if it looked like they interacted with one another).
  • Vehicles zones (so you can buy and use things such as the bike, car.. etc), also the train system like in the TempleOfBu (LBA2).
  • I want to expand on Twinsen's modes. (Discreet should hide your name tag! - Aggressive mode should reduce damage slightly? - sporty is faster already, normal is already right for roleplaying)
  • Wardrobe shop (Change your outfit in stores today!)
  • Trade & Duel System; Trading most certainly.. but Dueling could be anything from on the spot to going to a special room to battle it out. (It'd be cool to battle in the different LBA scenes)
  • Items such as books; read stuff which is LBA related or perhaps MBN. Also a few junk items too?
Lord of the rings / LBA2 Spoof videos
Old 2009-12-11, 03:54

The NPC's are cool! Adds character to the game- excuse the pun. But some should be fixed, like some who are facing walls shouldn't, some should move around, some should be taken out if a scene is too crowded, and maybe some LBA2 characters added? Good job btw!

EDIT: and again, probably relating to what Kobold said, we should be able to drive the car (at Rebellion Island) or hydrogliders, Catamaran, etc. Or, here's another idea: we keep the ferrys/boat but get rid of the other cars and stuff, and then we have to find our own car/motorbike which we can keep in our inventory, and the same with the Catamaran/Hydroglider!

Last edited by RosaMarietheCow; 2009-12-11 at 04:09.
Old 2009-12-12, 23:05
Juliano at LbaNet

Send a message via MSN to Juliano
Idk how you guys plan to do it, but I think that would be nice to have level system.
(I think level system is a very polemic subject) At level 10 you could do a quest wich you could get the yellow magic ball, and at 20 the green...

And npc just to kill, but a lot of them, like the fortress filled with these npcs. Then we could kill with our party. Yep, I think it would be cool get even more close to rpg system.

The project is awesome, Rince, congratulations!

Edit:
There's things that I think would be easier:
* Enable pressing "enter" on the loggin window, gets faster :P
* Enable pressing "esc" to close the window wich open when you press "space" in objects, sometimes I just open the things and walk away :P

Less mouse movements, I think

Last edited by Juliano; 2009-12-12 at 23:32.
Old 2009-12-13, 00:12

A suggestion for people maiing their own maps, or maybe for Kobold or leoboe on their map: but a obstacle course map would be cool- one which you'd have to use DinoFly or the Horse
Old 2009-12-13, 01:15
You what?!

I think a level system is a terrible idea. Ranking up is what is wrong with every single MMORPG out there at the moment. As someone pointed out in another thread recently (I think it was Darkflame?), all a level shows is how much time you've spent on the game performing mindless repetition, and doesn't reflect any skill at all. If you're planning on making some kind of rank system, avoid the time-spent based ones. Please.
Old 2009-12-13, 09:51

I am not planning any level system for the game other than the magic ball level like in the original game.

However I am planning to implement a kind of achievements system. Each world creator will be able to make their own set of achievement.
Also there will certainly be skill based ranking (eg. player finishing world in the less time, best pvp players, ...)
Old 2009-12-13, 11:19
World Designer: Colozen

Send a message via MSN to DarkOnistar
I think "level'O'matic" is a bad idea too, cause all you have to do is grind to get anywhere.

I think the magic ball colour system would be good.
If there were more types of magic balls I'd have it go in this order:
yellow, green, red.. and then choice of: Fire, Water, Earth.

Its just an idea, you can still go along with the old one.. but I was thinking along the lines of when reaching a rank.. depending on what you done or chosen decides what last ball you get and also with that ball lets you access certain areas because of that ball. (eg. more than 1 way to enter one dungeon)

The achievement system sounds good. I was thinking of adding challenges and but I thought it was going to be half pointless if nobody knew you did it in the first place.
Lord of the rings / LBA2 Spoof videos
Old 2009-12-13, 16:25
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Achievement based system is massively better then level based imo.
Level based leads to so many problems, mainly balancing the game for newbies and existing players. Making it challenging for all becomes near impossible.

As for magic ball based, surely that should be like in the games itself? Your magic ball would level up as you get specific magic items that are hidden in the world.
(only this could be only applying to that world, your magic ball/items dosnt carry over to other game worlds).

Of course, first we need a working magic ball at all, which isnt the easiest thing to code in an MMO. (of course though, once we do have a physics-based magic ball, it does raise all sorts of minigame possibilitys too).
Old 2009-12-13, 23:51
Juliano at LbaNet

Send a message via MSN to Juliano
Hmmm achievements sounds really better! But the magic ball I think it should be like
the original. Ah, I think would be cool if you can chose another races! Grobos, rabs...
Old 2010-03-01, 19:00

I would definately want just 1 big island that has everything on it :P that would be awesome , also some kinda combat system maybe PVP arena place, maybe talent kind of system too , skill points? maybe some RPG kind of features?
Old 2010-03-06, 11:50

Game Races

Maybe on the log in section you would get to choose between races , and differend races would have differend perks (advantages over others) , like Spheros would have bonus Health , and Grobos bonus Damage , Rabibunnies bonus speed , Quetches bonus Magic , Sups little bonus on speed and damage, Francos damage and Health , Wannies Health And Magic , and mosquibees speed and magic , for example

or then ofcourse you could choose any race but the class would give you the specialization like warrior and magician and rogue (rogue could have partial invisibility in discreet :P) and all that kinda

Last edited by Mazaka151; 2010-03-06 at 11:59.