Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2010-07-16, 01:10
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler
She's essentially putting herself into the closet to make her fans happy (...) This is a huge burden for her. (...) I really hope she never gives up
I'm intrigued.
You're basically saying you hope she suffers all her life and die as a virgin?
And that's because you like her?

Quote:
(...) so saying something is impossible or false because of a comparison (...)
I never said that in my post; my sarcasm probably did, though.

Quote:
She's essentially putting herself into the closet to make her fans happy
"Essentially"? like she'd be doing this if there was no money involved and solely for the true dying wish to be cuddly and adorable.

Quote:
(...) if they're publicly caught dating.
You've said it all: "publicly".
There are soo many places non-public you know.

Quote:
No, Sayumin isn't my girlfriend. My girlfriend is a Japanese Idol yes
Hm, really?

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2010-07-16, 01:28
Idyllic + whimsical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
First off, Japanese Idols are paid about $1000-$5000 a month, maybe Morning Musume are paid like $10000 a month due to them being REALLY famous, but it's still not really richness.
Second off, even if she's well compensated, what does it mean? You're basically saying "she's paid, so that makes the work less hard" - let's face it, money isn't everything. I'm sure the inability to date due to work rules, for example, isn't something money can replace. She's essentially putting herself into the closet to make her fans happy, and it's nice how you people just go "oh, she gets money, that solves everything". Typical American way of viewing things - that as long as you have money, nothing else matters.
I doubt anyone's forcing her to pursue that career. If she really wanted it, she could just quit. So money is the only only factor here.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2010-07-16, 01:46
the hobbits to Otringal

:P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBFqe_3M2Z8

http://forum.magicball.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2558&dateline=1285864225

Last edited by Odysseus; 2010-07-16 at 02:00.
Old 2010-07-16, 02:21
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarKid
I'm intrigued.
You're basically saying you hope she suffers all her life and die as a virgin?
And that's because you like her?
No, I'm saying I hope she remains as youthful and happy as he is until the rest of her life. Of course I hope she finds herself a guy, gets married, and gets some kids, as well.

Quote:
"Essentially"? like she'd be doing this if there was no money involved and solely for the true dying wish to be cuddly and adorable.
Well she's not exactly paid millions. So she must like it to a point if she keeps on doing it.

Quote:
You've said it all: "publicly".
There are soo many places non-public you know.
And I never claimed they don't date privately. Also because if I did, I'd basically invalidate my own relationship with my girlfriend, since we're dating (or kind of, given the geographical distance between us), despite the fact she's an Idol, and not allowed to publicly date.

Quote:
Hm, really?
Wut?

Quote:
I doubt anyone's forcing her to pursue that career. If she really wanted it, she could just quit. So money is the only only factor here.
Well, again, to explain. Idoling is like the middle step between being a normal girl, and pursuing a serious career in entertainment/show business. Between ages 18-26, most idols retire from idoling and pursue a serious career in whatever they want to. Some retire from idoling and get a normal job, or even go study at a University, or something.
If money was the only factor here, why not do something that earns you more than? Rather than being an Idol, which isn't one of the most well-paid jobs in Japan...
Old 2010-07-16, 03:41
the legend

Quote:
I'm saying I hope she remains as youthful and happy (...)
So when you said "I hope she never gives up and continues what she's doing" you actually meant "I hope she never gives up being youthful and happy"?
(Ok ok enough about all this and her already, haha. Just couldn't resist being pedant on the way people put their words.)

Quote:
Wut?
I was just kinda asking if that was a serious information, but then again, I guess you sort of answered that by answering the previous question, so, nevermind.

sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2010-07-16, 09:03
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
So, battler. who's your girlfriend? we're curious!
Old 2010-07-16, 12:16
Idyllic + whimsical

Quote:
Well, again, to explain. Idoling is like the middle step between being a normal girl, and pursuing a serious career in entertainment/show business. Between ages 18-26, most idols retire from idoling and pursue a serious career in whatever they want to. Some retire from idoling and get a normal job, or even go study at a University, or something.
If money was the only factor here, why not do something that earns you more than? Rather than being an Idol, which isn't one of the most well-paid jobs in Japan...
So if it's her choice then I doubt she's suffering, so no need to give her any special praise.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2010-07-16, 12:20
Polly parrot

By the way, What is a "morning musume" ?
Old 2010-07-16, 13:51
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- Rex_Hollywood: I was just cheering the girl up and wishing her good luck. And saying I admire her.
- Polaris: Morning Musume (link goes to the Wikipedia article on them), are a Japanese J-pop female Idol group, who have existed since 1998, and who change their roster (member line-up) regularly.

Edit: Here's the Wikipedia article listing the members of Morning Musume: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Members_of_Morning_Musume .

Last edited by Battler; 2010-07-16 at 13:56.
Old 2010-07-16, 15:43
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
First off, Japanese Idols are paid about $1000-$5000 a month, maybe Morning Musume are paid like $10000 a month due to them being REALLY famous, but it's still not really richness.
Second off, even if she's well compensated, what does it mean? You're basically saying "she's paid, so that makes the work less hard" - let's face it, money isn't everything. I'm sure the inability to date due to work rules, for example, isn't something money can replace. She's essentially putting herself into the closet to make her fans happy, and it's nice how you people just go "oh, she gets money, that solves everything". Typical American way of viewing things - that as long as you have money, nothing else matters.
Well, since you've decided to chide my nationality, I'll use that as a baseline. The U.S. Census Bureau, according to most recent records, places the average household (that's household, i.e. families, not just an individual person) at around $50,000 USD per year. That amounts to < $1000 a week for a 52-week year. So what an average family of a male and female and 2.5 kids makes in a given week, she makes 2.5x's that as an individual. Not bad.

Of course, that's using your numbers. I wasn't able to find any yearly income figures for Ms. Michishige, but even if she makes $10,000 USD per month that amounts to a yearly income of $120,000, well above the average household income. I still find that to be quite low, considering her apparent nature of Japanese celebrity, but I digress. The point remains that she is quite well compensated for her lifestyle, which she has chosen.

I'm pretty sure you've missed my entire point, but that's unsurprising. My argument is that since this is her chosen profession, she has to accept the positive with the negative. If you are going to be a Japanese "idol," someone that the Japanese (and subsequently, you as a Wapanese or whatever ethnic bastardization would fit your background) culture can collectively fap to with its unrealistic paradoxical desire for sexuality combined with unrealistic visions of purity (see what I did there?), then you accept all that comes with it.

You make it sound like she's "putting herself in the closet for her fans" as if this is some noble gesture. She's not Joan of Arc, or as my previous example, Anne Frank. She's not cloistered because of a tyrannical regime. She's a Japanese pop star who seems to have no qualms embracing the limelight. As a result, I see no reason why we should "celebrate" this alleged "burden" that she's enduring as a result of her chosen profession.

Translation: She's a pop star. Don't make it sound like she's hiding from the Nazis.

Quote:
So don't compare Japanese Idols with American Celebrities, it's like comparing apples and oranges. Japanese popular culture is vastly different from the American/Western one, so saying something is impossible or false because of a comparison with something from an altogether different popular culture, is utterly idiotic.
Obras hedges his bets and repels all comparisons which will inevitably ruin his Japanese virgin fantasy blow holes in his argument, only to...

Quote:
And yes, I do acknowledge the Jonas brothers and Miley Cyrus also need to look innocent but the difference is, for them it's just something they act out, whereas for Japanese Idols, their companies/agencies CAN and WILL boot them if they're publicly caught dating.
...defeat himself by making that allegedly apples to orange comparison himself.

Also, I agree with Anakin. We want to know about your girlfriend. Tits or GTFO, kthxbye.

Last edited by Double-J; 2010-07-16 at 15:51.
Old 2010-07-16, 17:00
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
And I never claimed they don't date privately. Also because if I did, I'd basically invalidate my own relationship with my girlfriend, since we're dating (or kind of, given the geographical distance between us), despite the fact she's an Idol, and not allowed to publicly date.
Not to question you, but would just hanging out with a guy be considered dating?
Old 2010-07-16, 19:14
the legend

I wonder if obras regrets making this thread, which, originally, was meant to celebrate...

Old 2010-07-16, 19:21
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarKid View Post
I wonder if obras regrets making this thread, which, originally, was meant to celebrate...
We can still celebrate. Happy (posthumous) Birthday Barbara Stanwyck, Hollywood legend (and a typical American/Westerner with her evil monies - she was at one time the highest earning woman in the U.S.). Starred in classics like Double Indemnity.

Old 2010-07-16, 20:30
Welcome to Zirla!

- Double-J: No offense, but first off, it's none of your business, whom I masturbate to, so kindly please refrain from putting sexuality in, especially when it's about someone else's. And in any case, the mere fact you only see females as sexual objects for males just shows, how appropriate you are for this discussion.
Second off, I never said she's Joan of Arc, or Anne Frank. I'm just saying I admire her for what she does, and for the fact she still hasn't given up. A lot of Japanese Idols retire only some years after they start, whereas Sayumi has been an Idol for like 7 years now, and still isn't even remotely thinking of retiring. That's what I admire for.
And again, about every single fan of hers wished her Happy Birthday with about the same words I have. And there's tens of thousands of us. Who are you to tell us we're doing something wrong?

Oh, and stop using the term "pop star". Japanese Pop stars have generally are RETIRED from Idoling and decided to pursue a serious career in J-pop. Idols are the stage between normal girls and true, proper pop stars. So please, stop mixing the terms here, it doesn't make you look good at all.

As for me defeating my argument, you're right. But anyway, let me just tell you, that for Miley Cyrus, to even be in scandal, nude photos of her had to leak on the Internet. For a Japanese Idol, to even date a guy would cause her employes to show her the door.

And for comparison, a true Japanese pop star is allowed to do, whatever she wants, even get married and give birth to children. An Idol isn't allowed to even date. Which also shows, how Idols and true pop stars are different.

And anyway, Sayumi talks to her fans through her blog. She reads the comments they post on her blog. And she thanks them, and so on. She talks with them and has handshakes with them after concerts, and so on. And it's a burden for her, since she can't even be herself, because she has to keep on her cute and cuddly idol mode. Granted, she doesn't hide from the Nazi's, but she does hide her true self from everyone, except from her employers, family, and close friends. And believe me, she WOULD like to show her fans her true self.
And yes, she chose it, and she's well-compensated for it, but this doesn't make her work any less hard, you know? And the older she is, the more mature she gets in looks and everything, so the more difficult it is for her to keep the innocent, cute and cuddly image she has to keep.

Now if you don't care about her, fine, but arguing with me, just to show me how I'm stupid for caring so much about her, is pathetic and immature. I care about her, and admire her, and I certainly will NOT stop, just because YOU, or anyone, has problems with it.

Also, about your "Tits or GTFO" remark, it's EXACTLY, why I won't tell you a rat's arse about my girlfriend. That, and the extremely low respect you seem to have for females in general. And you're certainly not in position to demand me to tell you anything. I'll tell more to whoever I want to. And I'll refuse to tell more to people I don't want to.

- Kobold: Uhhh... well, she loves me. I love her. So it IS dating (in a way), and not just "hanging out". So errr... what's your point?
Old 2010-07-16, 20:32
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
Not to question you, but would just hanging out with a guy be considered dating?
Hanging out? Obras isn't hanging with any pop star, he's more like chatting with a 50-year old pedophile ...

At least I assume so. Of course I might be wrong since I'm just assuming, but probably this is just another Obras fantasy.

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here

Last edited by LBAWinOwns; 2010-07-16 at 20:35. Reason: grammatical
Old 2010-07-16, 20:58
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
- Kobold: Uhhh... well, she loves me. I love her. So it IS dating (in a way), and not just "hanging out". So errr... what's your point?
Well, dating sounds like something superficial to me. For a date, you go out to eat something and then share some talks to get to know each other. I wouldn't describe love with the word "dating"...

My point is why anybody in the Idol industry would care for an idol chatting with some European dude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAWinOwns View Post
Hanging out? Obras isn't hanging with any pop star, he's more like chatting with a 50-year old pedophile ...

At least I assume so. Of course I might be wrong since I'm just assuming, but probably this is just another Obras fantasy.
If he calls her his girlfriend, he must have gotten at least some confirmation that she's not a faker. Common sense works wonders...

I see your point.
Old 2010-07-16, 21:18
Welcome to Zirla!

- LBAWinOwns: I have regular conversations with her over voice and WebCam, and I have confirmed her identity by comparing what I've seen and heard through that with publicly available material found on Google using her name. So I'm quite sure she's who she claims she is, and not a 50 year old paedophile.

And if you wish, I can give you her MSN address, so you can talk to her yourself. Contact me on MSN for it.

- Kobold: You're right. What I mean is, the Idol industry essentially forbids the Idols from being involved in romantic relationships. The "dating" thing is just my non-native English playing tricks on me.
Old 2010-07-16, 21:44
the legend

I think battler's post defending himself from JJ was absolutely right.
I think some people in MBN should be less agressive towards Obrasilo.
He has changed, shown maturity, and this thread is legitimate, even if a bit confuse at first, and we've been very inconsiderate towards him.
I'm sure he would post more great stuff if people didn't have this instinct to attack him.
My apologies for mocking your thread, Battler.

And may I ask, do you ever plan to meet any of your idols (either Sayumi or your love)?

Old 2010-07-16, 22:04
Welcome to Zirla!

- SpaceGuitarKid: First off, thanks for your post.

Second off, in a year or so, I'll be going to Japan, most probably moving there for good. So yes, I do have plans, of course.
Old 2010-07-16, 23:39
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
- Double-J: No offense, but first off, it's none of your business, whom I masturbate to, so kindly please refrain from putting sexuality in, especially when it's about someone else's.
You want me to refrain from interjecting sexuality into a thread where, in your second post, you established that her "burden" is on her social life where she is not allowed to partake in dating, let alone sexual relationships? This thread is directly tied to sexuality, and if you can't see the forest for the trees, we might as well stop now.

Methinks you opened the can of worms. You're claiming that this girl/idol/Japanese sex object (let's be realistic) is unfairly burdened by the demands of her career. I'm arguing that her career is her choice, and as a result, shouldn't be commended (or reproached, for that matter) because of the subsequent constraints placed upon her by external forces.

Furthermore, my observation of fapping was merely a cultural one, much in the same way - in fact, curiously so - to the generalization you made about us money-hungry Americans. I'd suggest going back and looking for clues in my post.

Quote:
And in any case, the mere fact you only see females as sexual objects for males just shows, how appropriate you are for this discussion.
You're writing about how a girl has overcome what you perceive (incomprehensibly) as a "burden" - a "burden" largely driven out of the objectification of women in Japan and, in general, Western culture - and then you somehow come to the conclusion that I'm objectifying women? If anything, the old mirror deserves a bit of a check.

Simplified: If I'm a misogynistic bastard, I think, to paraphrase LBAWinOwns, you act like a creepy pedophile, but to each his own. Not sure I can simultaneously objectify women and celebrate the life of Barbara Stanwyck, but there you go.

Quote:
Second off, I never said she's Joan of Arc, or Anne Frank. I'm just saying I admire her for what she does, and for the fact she still hasn't given up. A lot of Japanese Idols retire only some years after they start, whereas Sayumi has been an Idol for like 7 years now, and still isn't even remotely thinking of retiring. That's what I admire for.
If anything, the longevity of her career implies to me that a.) she likes it and b.) she really likes it. If it was truly a "burden," I doubt she would still be doing this.

Quote:
And again, about every single fan of hers wished her Happy Birthday with about the same words I have. And there's tens of thousands of us. Who are you to tell us we're doing something wrong?
I have no problem with you exercising your fantasy with this lass. I merely joined my fellow members here in wondering what exactly you were talking about. Then you opened your mouth and made it sound like this woman had her feet bound and was being kept in a cage, released only every 9 months for breeding purposes.

Quote:
Oh, and stop using the term "pop star". Japanese Pop stars have generally are RETIRED from Idoling and decided to pursue a serious career in J-pop. Idols are the stage between normal girls and true, proper pop stars. So please, stop mixing the terms here, it doesn't make you look good at all.
I'm deeply wounded...I don't know the minutiae of whether to call someone who sings an "idol" or a "pop star."

You know what? I like pop star better. She's a pop star.

Quote:
As for me defeating my argument, you're right. But anyway, let me just tell you, that for Miley Cyrus, to even be in scandal, nude photos of her had to leak on the Internet. For a Japanese Idol, to even date a guy would cause her employes to show her the door.
Then if anything, I'd say that furthers my original point regarding Japanese culture and the purity/sexuality dichotomy. But I forgot, we're not supposed to talk about sex in here! Shhh!

Quote:
And for comparison, a true Japanese pop star is allowed to do, whatever she wants, even get married and give birth to children. An Idol isn't allowed to even date. Which also shows, how Idols and true pop stars are different.
Women are allowed to do what they want...to get married...and have children?

Blasphemy!

Quote:
And anyway, Sayumi talks to her fans through her blog. She reads the comments they post on her blog. And she thanks them, and so on. She talks with them and has handshakes with them after concerts, and so on. And it's a burden for her, since she can't even be herself, because she has to keep on her cute and cuddly idol mode.
Bollocks. Plenty of pop stars (or celebrities, or whathaveyou) are recluses. If she didn't enjoy this work (or, and perish such an evil thought, she likes her paycheck), she wouldn't be doing it.

Quote:
Granted, she doesn't hide from the Nazi's, but she does hide her true self from everyone, except from her employers, family, and close friends. And believe me, she WOULD like to show her fans her true self.
*tear*

You know, I think we need to have a "Save Sayumi" movement right now. If Michael Jackson hadn't died, he could compose a theme song to raise global awareness. Frankly, this cause ranks right up there with Haiti relief and genocide in Darfur.

Quote:
And yes, she chose it, and she's well-compensated for it, but this doesn't make her work any less hard, you know? And the older she is, the more mature she gets in looks and everything, so the more difficult it is for her to keep the innocent, cute and cuddly image she has to keep.
1. Plenty of people have shitty jobs who work hard and get virtually no compensation. I don't consider what she does a "burden" - hopping online, shaking some hands, and making public appearances...that's absolute fluff.

2. If she doesn't like it, she can stop doing it at any time.

Quote:
Now if you don't care about her, fine, but arguing with me, just to show me how I'm stupid for caring so much about her, is pathetic and immature. I care about her, and admire her, and I certainly will NOT stop, just because YOU, or anyone, has problems with it.
I have no problem with you adoring this person, or fapping to her, or whatever void she fills in your life. I am merely challenging you on an opinion which you chose to share with us - that this woman should be applauded for overcoming a hardship. I disagree wholeheartedly.

Just because you feel like anytime someone disagrees with you it is a personal attack is rather paranoid. No one is trying to make you look stupid.

Quote:
Also, about your "Tits or GTFO" remark, it's EXACTLY, why I won't tell you a rat's arse about my girlfriend. That, and the extremely low respect you seem to have for females in general. And you're certainly not in position to demand me to tell you anything. I'll tell more to whoever I want to. And I'll refuse to tell more to people I don't want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAWinOwns View Post

LWO - Are you familiar with Chris-chan? I see many similarities to what is going on here. Tell me if you agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarKid View Post
I think battler's post defending himself from JJ was absolutely right.
I think some people in MBN should be less agressive towards Obrasilo.
He has changed, shown maturity, and this thread is legitimate, even if a bit confuse at first, and we've been very inconsiderate towards him.
I'm sure he would post more great stuff if people didn't have this instinct to attack him.
My apologies for mocking your thread, Battler.
I forgot, we aren't supposed to debate or discuss things on a message board.

Maybe I'll make a random thread about how I enjoy shaving the wood of apple trees and turning them into rather amusing mustaches. Yes. Then I shall proclaim that those who wear such mustaches are unfairly treated by society, mostly because they love pears (those evil citrus-fruit loves notwithstanding). When someone offers a rebuttal, I will be sure to call upon you for your support and understanding of my unique condition.

People would be very inconsiderate towards me! How dare they want a.) to know what the hell I'm talking about b.) for me to confirm that I'm off my fucking rocker and c.) to offer a cogent thought free of ad-hominem attacks.

Old 2010-07-17, 00:15
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
Spoiler:

And you're accusing people of objectifying women, OBras?

Uhm... then what is what you are doing exactly? It really sounds like all this girl wants to qualify herself for is looking good. Not being smart. Which is her full right to do so. But you said you admire her for her looks, not her personality.
Old 2010-07-17, 00:23
Welcome to Zirla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
You want me to refrain from interjecting sexuality into a thread where, in your second post, you established that her "burden" is on her social life where she is not allowed to partake in dating, let alone sexual relationships? This thread is directly tied to sexuality, and if you can't see the forest for the trees, we might as well stop now.
Sexuality has no DIRECT relevance to this thread. That's my point.

Quote:
Methinks you opened the can of worms. You're claiming that this girl/idol/Japanese sex object (let's be realistic) is unfairly burdened by the demands of her career. I'm arguing that her career is her choice, and as a result, shouldn't be commended (or reproached, for that matter) because of the subsequent constraints placed upon her by external forces.
You're right. I never claimed it wasn't her choice, no need to tell me that constantly.

Quote:
Furthermore, my observation of fapping was merely a cultural one, much in the same way - in fact, curiously so - to the generalization you made about us money-hungry Americans. I'd suggest going back and looking for clues in my post.
Sorry for the generalization. I meant mostly rich and famous Americans, such as the Celebrities, Microsoft Corp., RIAA, and MPAA. They ARE money-hungry.

Quote:
You're writing about how a girl has overcome what you perceive (incomprehensibly) as a "burden" - a "burden" largely driven out of the objectification of women in Japan and, in general, Western culture - and then you somehow come to the conclusion that I'm objectifying women? If anything, the old mirror deserves a bit of a check.
Objectification of women in Japan? Lolwut? Also, Japan isn't Western culture, so again, lolwut?
And frankly, whenever I talked to you about females, you've always brought sex and vagina into the conversation. So yes, it's safe for me to assume, that you only view females for sex and vagina.

Quote:
Simplified: If I'm a misogynistic bastard, I think, to paraphrase LBAWinOwns, you act like a creepy pedophile, but to each his own. Not sure I can simultaneously objectify women and celebrate the life of Barbara Stanwyck, but there you go.
Paedophile? So a 21-years-old Japanese Idol is now suddenly a child? Lolwut? Please, check the dictionary definition of a paedophile.

Quote:
If anything, the longevity of her career implies to me that a.) she likes it and b.) she really likes it. If it was truly a "burden," I doubt she would still be doing this.
No shit, Sherlock. She really likes it, and that's why I admire for - for really liking it, despite the restrictions it puts on her.

Quote:
I have no problem with you exercising your fantasy with this lass. I merely joined my fellow members here in wondering what exactly you were talking about. Then you opened your mouth and made it sound like this woman had her feet bound and was being kept in a cage, released only every 9 months for breeding purposes.
I never meant she had her feet bound and was being kept in a cage. Please. All I meant is, that she is restricted, compared to you or me, and that I admire her for really liking her job, and staying at it, despite the restrictions it puts on her.

Quote:
I'm deeply wounded...I don't know the minutiae of whether to call someone who sings an "idol" or a "pop star."

You know what? I like pop star better. She's a pop star.
She's not.
True pop stars are marketed primarily for their music. Idols are marketed primarily for their looks and public image.
For true pop stars, singing is a must. For Idols, singing is an option. The vast majority of Idols don't sing at all, but just do photobooks and photoshoots.

So no, it's NOT minutiae. It's two quite different jobs, even if they converge in some points for some of them. But to equate them and treat them as synonyms, is like saying, that a President and a King are the same thing and the differences are only minutiae.

Again, to repeat it, Sayumi is an Idol. Once she retires from Idoling, if she decides to pursue a serious career in J-pop, then she'll become a pop star.

Quote:
Then if anything, I'd say that furthers my original point regarding Japanese culture and the purity/sexuality dichotomy. But I forgot, we're not supposed to talk about sex in here! Shhh!
Japan is purity-obsessed? That's new to me. Granted, in Japan, people generally don't lose virginity at the age of 12 (though there are, of course, exceptions), but this doesn't make them purity-obsessed. Difference is, Japan likes girls to look cute and cuddly, and youthful.

Quote:
Women are allowed to do what they want...to get married...and have children?

Blasphemy!
Yes, they are, even in Japan. Japanese Idols, however, aren't, due to work restrictions. And, as you said, they do it out of their own will, they're not forced to uphold the restrictions.

Quote:
Bollocks. Plenty of pop stars (or celebrities, or whathaveyou) are recluses. If she didn't enjoy this work (or, and perish such an evil thought, she likes her paycheck), she wouldn't be doing it.
Yes, she does enjoy her work, I never claimed she doesn't. All I ever said is, that I admire her for enjoying it despite of the restrictions it puts on her.

Quote:
*tear*

You know, I think we need to have a "Save Sayumi" movement right now. If Michael Jackson hadn't died, he could compose a theme song to raise global awareness. Frankly, this cause ranks right up there with Haiti relief and genocide in Darfur.
LOL, I never claimed that. Please, stop putting words into my mouth.

Quote:
1. Plenty of people have shitty jobs who work hard and get virtually no compensation. I don't consider what she does a "burden" - hopping online, shaking some hands, and making public appearances...that's absolute fluff.
I never said being connected with her fans is a burden for her.

Quote:
2. If she doesn't like it, she can stop doing it at any time.
And if she likes it, she can be fired by her agent at any time, for any reason. Including for not looking innocent, cute and cuddly enough.

Quote:
I have no problem with you adoring this person, or fapping to her, or whatever void she fills in your life. I am merely challenging you on an opinion which you chose to share with us - that this woman should be applauded for overcoming a hardship. I disagree wholeheartedly.
What I meant is, despite all the hardships her work brings, she's still enjoying it pretty much. And that's why I admire her for.

Quote:
Just because you feel like anytime someone disagrees with you it is a personal attack is rather paranoid. No one is trying to make you look stupid.
It's one thing to disagree. It's another thing to tell me I'm doing something wrong by admiring her.

Quote:
LWO - Are you familiar with Chris-chan? I see many similarities to what is going on here. Tell me if you agree.
Uhhh... I've pretty much confirmed my girlfriend's identity to 100% certainty. I've had multiple, and regular, WebCam AND Voice conversation, and it's surprising how both she AND her voice match exactly what Google found me for who she claims to be.

Quote:
I forgot, we aren't supposed to debate or discuss things on a message board.
We're supposed to debate, not berate other people for thinking in a different way.

Last edited by Battler; 2010-07-17 at 00:28.
Old 2010-07-17, 00:25
Welcome to Zirla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
Uhm... then what is what you are doing exactly? It really sounds like all this girl wants to qualify herself for is looking good. Not being smart. Which is her full right to do so. But you said you admire her for her looks, not her personality.
The cuteness and cuddliness I mentioned is in her personality as well, not just in her looks. Go read her blog posts, please. And then tell me, she doesn't have a cute and cuddly personality.

And anyway, I admire her for enjoying her work a lot, despite all the restrictions it brings on her, that's all I meant.
Old 2010-07-17, 13:06
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
so obras' gf is a japanese CELEBRITY?

that's what i'm trying to understand here
Old 2010-07-17, 14:36
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
Nice debate.

Btw: It's a bit creepy with this fixation with "innocence" and youth in Japanese culture. (Perhaps I'm generalising a bit too much here?) The girl just looks bizarre, like some cartoon character.

Btw2: If she is that big, surely she must earn more than the figure delivered by Mr. Battler? Who grabs all the money for record sales for example?

Tags
classic, obrasilo, serious business