Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > First aid
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

First aid The forum for getting help to run or complete the LBA games. Note: could contain spoilers.

Old 2011-03-03, 11:23
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

LBAWin: sound during videos is wrong

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to play this great game again. I'm doing it via LBAWin. Everything seems fine, except the weird bug that during the cutscenes the sound is just nuts.

For instance, during the main title vid instead of the wind blowing sound there is a repeated sound of Twinsen jumping. During the ferry ride to the Principal Island there is the sound of troops marching, and so on.

My OS is XP SP3.
Old 2011-03-21, 20:59

Send a message via MSN to Hitiro
Similar problem

I've had a similar problem. I might be wrong in making this assumption but I think the sound files are being loaded by LBA in the wrong way when they are called. This is merely speculation however. The only way to test this theory would be to start renaming the sound files which I can't really be bothered to do, lol.

edit: Ignore the line above, I know nothing about how the background sound and music are done, lol. I see that the game uses .VOX which I've never used before so I assume that these files are what the game uses for the voices of the characters and the music in the game. So my only guess is either the .VOX has some corrupted data or the game is indeed loading from the wrong place in the files. My guesses are practically the same above except the renaming of the files would do nothing in this instance because from what I've gathered from reading about of these .VOX files they apparently allow you to store multiple audio clips.

Last edited by Hitiro; 2011-03-21 at 21:34.
Old 2011-03-21, 21:55
Magic Ball Master

.Vox files only contain the voices of the characters.

LBA 1 has two types of music: the long music tracks are stored on the CD as CD tracks, and the short tracks are MIDI files stored in MIDI_MI.HQR (or MIDI_mi_win.HQR if you use LBAWin). The sound effects, however, are afaik all in MIDI_SB.HQR

Normally your source for file information would be the LBA File Information project, which explains the contents of many files the game uses in detail. However, nobody has documented the contents of the sound files.

My best guess is to try to use DosBox instead of LBAWin. LBAWin is a 16bit application, so I have no idea whether it's compatible with SP3. (Apparently, the sound setup recommended in our DosBox guide isn't ideal either, and you have to check a different setting. It was mentioned in a thread before - we should keep track of our solutions better...)
Old 2011-03-21, 22:31

Original?

So I assume these are the original file formats that are included with LBA and the documentation you mention is the information people have found out inside the these file formats? Or are they your brand of files?
Old 2011-03-21, 22:48
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitiro View Post
So I assume these are the original file formats that are included with LBA and the documentation you mention is the information people have found out inside the these file formats?
Yes, it's used to make editing tools which allow you to modify the game (create your own areas, etc.) We just don't have any information on sound files.
Old 2011-03-21, 23:46

Recreating files

Wouldn't it be much simpler to rehash theses files into more well known file extensions such as .mp3? I think it would be much easier to do this rather than spending ages trying to find out where each voice is in the .VOX files and a similar thing with the midi stuff contained in the .HQR's.
Old 2011-03-22, 00:09
Magic Ball Master

Well, the original LBA 1 game is never going to play MP3s. Are you trying to play the game or do you want to play the sound files separately?
Reverse engineering has been done with "twin engine", which never made it to completion though.
Old 2011-03-22, 00:16

Re-doing LBA

Actually I was looking at re-writing the game in C++ anyway because I wanted to improve the way the characters in the game look and have a freely moveable camera for it.
Old 2011-03-22, 21:38
Magic Ball Master

You should try to look at the work already done in Twin Engine by yaz0r. See here.