Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2012-12-19, 13:39
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
I'm not sure all this is an advantage for their generation though - they're missing their most precious years of gadgetless innocence, like we had.
True. We're adamant that my sister won't get an iPhone for quite a long time.

I was given my mobile phone because I started walking to high school by myself. Now kids as young as some of the seven year olds I work with have them - I don't know why, or who they're going to call! It baffles me when you ask what these kids are going to get for Christmas, because it's always some gadget or other.

Although a six-year old told me she's getting a Furby. Hey, that's what I got for Christmas at her age!
And gave it a name, so then it wasn't mine
Old 2012-12-19, 13:44
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
I'm against 11 years old children using facebook. My parents didn't let me surf the internet until I was 13 (and that's still too early in my opinion). Besides, if you're so young you don't know how dangerous it is to put too many information on facebook, and if they have an iphone or any other smartphone it's worse. I've been doing traineeship as a taecher, and at school all these children were playing with their smartphones under the desk or even chatting on facebook. The teachers had to seize their phones, and the teacher's desk was full of phones. It was like hell. I have a PSP, and I had it when I was 15, but I didn't use it at school, unless we had some free time because a teacher was absent or such. I didn't even bring it with me if I didn't know we were going to have some holes in our school time, and that was basically 6,7 days a year. But your mobile, you don't leave it at home. Parents shouldn't buy a mobile like this to their children, they don't realize that it's also a bigger problem for those who can't afford it. Besides, who would put 700$ a children's hands?
Old 2012-12-19, 14:13
Magic Ball Master

I haven't used instant messengers in ages. MSN never really did much for me, but I used Trillian so I think I had one of every type of account. If I need to collaborate now, I use Skype, but SMS texting has honestly replaced any other form instant communications for me.

That being said, I always prefer face-to-face communications over text, email, etc. any day. I would prefer to be a luddite. :P
Old 2012-12-19, 14:14
LBA2 Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreGGy View Post
My parents didn't let me surf the internet until I was 13 (and that's still too early in my opinion).
Me too, but the internet has become far more dangerous then it was 6 years ago.

I had this superslow connection were you had to go online by using your home cellphone. I only knew MSN and some games at that time so...

With all this Social Media right now my opinion is that all these kids are growing up too fast, they start acting like grown-ups and be serious about everything, while they can still go outside and play or whatever they want to do
Old 2012-12-19, 15:18
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

Quote:
I'm against 11 years old children using facebook. My parents didn't let me surf the internet until I was 13 (and that's still too early in my opinion). Besides, if you're so young you don't know how dangerous it is to put too many information on facebook, and if they have an iphone or any other smartphone it's worse.
Thirteen's a legal requirement to sign up to certain websites in the USA. The times have changed, and education about internet safety in schools is very different now - have a look at Netsmartz, for example. I remember a very powerful video about image sharing as if it was pinning to a noticeboard and you could never take it down because someone always has a copy to put back on the noticeboard. You can't necessarily stop kids using the internet. It's a very big place, you know. My sister's been surfing for years, but I doubt you'll find much wrong with Barbie websites or CBBC, and she's never shut away in a room using it.

Quote:
But your mobile, you don't leave it at home. Parents shouldn't buy a mobile like this to their children, they don't realize that it's also a bigger problem for those who can't afford it. Besides, who would put 700$ a children's hands?
Without wishing to judge unnecessarily, a lot of these kids have divorced parents and have probably been bought a lot of stuff out of pity. Sad, but in some cases, true. No, it's not been thought through properly. Even I don't have an iPhone for fear of breaking/losing it.
Old 2012-12-20, 13:23
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

I totally agree with you, LtDem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia View Post
Without wishing to judge unnecessarily, a lot of these kids have divorced parents and have probably been bought a lot of stuff out of pity.
Yes I have proofs that 80% of those kids have divorced parents, based on cases I know. But more than pity, it seems like a way of buying them to me. Usually it's the parent that stays less time with the child (usually the father) that buys them this kind of stuff... it's like buying your own child, trying to be seen as a better person than the other parent is. And you have no idea how things like this drive me mad. I'm sad to know it's such a widespread phenomena.
Old 2012-12-20, 13:49
Polly parrot

Parents shoudln't live separately from eachother...

Or, there should be some other system, considering how old mariage is, and how it doesn't work nowadays.
Old 2012-12-20, 13:53
LBA2 Maestro

Quote:
Usually it's the parent that stays less time with the child (usually the father) that buys them this kind of stuff... it's like buying your own child, trying to be seen as a better person than the other parent is.
Hmm interesting, I sometimes watch this show "The World's Strictest Parents". It's about teenagers (16/17) who's life has gone completely out of control; drug and alcohol addictions, and the parents are always divorced or criminals. (single mother/father) It's just a show but I guess it pretty much represents the reality.
Old 2012-12-20, 14:28
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Parents shoudln't live separately from eachother...
That can work, though. It really does depend on the situation (plus how amicable the parents are willing to stay toward each other)! However, custody of children is still a very contentious issue that does need to be better resolved, given the way the climate is going.
Old 2012-12-20, 14:45
the legend

My parents are divorced and this whole conversation is getting depressing.

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2012-12-20, 14:56
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

ok, let's talk about penises in jars again Anyway, nobody wants to be generical here. It doesn't mean ALL divorced families have those issues... Though, it's been hard for me to find one that doesn't.
Old 2012-12-20, 15:09
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
My parents are divorced and this whole conversation is getting depressing.
Divorced kids are happy kids! I'm betting you're actually in the majority. I'm a rarity amongst my friends in that my parents are still together.
Old 2012-12-20, 17:47
this's longer than allowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia View Post
Divorced kids are happy kids! I'm betting you're actually in the majority. I'm a rarity amongst my friends in that my parents are still together.
Not if they're caught in the middle.
Old 2012-12-20, 17:58
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carajo View Post
Not if they're caught in the middle.
It's the title of a book (which I just realised no one here probably knows). Lighten up a little.
No, they're not always happy. No, that's not the point. The point is that having divorced parents doesn't necessarily mean you can't be happy.

Anyway, to lighter topics, like why you shouldn't eat your porridge with a fork! (A reference which, again, no one ever seems to get...)
Old 2012-12-20, 20:03
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

I don't even know how porridge looks like. For me it's just a word that apperas in every 5 pages of every Harry Potter book.
Old 2012-12-20, 20:14
Polly parrot

I don't know what it is either...
Old 2012-12-20, 20:16
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Yuck, I'd say.
Old 2012-12-20, 21:27
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

It's very yummy, especially with golden syrup added (lots of people don't like it, though). But you mustn't eat it with a fork. Also, you can't shove your maternal grandmother off a bus or throw your lunch out of the window of a twenty storey building. These are the arbitrary rules.

Last edited by Mia; 2012-12-21 at 07:54.
Old 2012-12-20, 22:28
the legend

Mind explaining where all these references are from, Mia?
Sorry if it's from some very obvious piece of literature from over there, but, I have no clue what it could be.

PS: Porridge is not bad at all! And, in great hunger, I wouldn't mind eating with a fork.
Old 2012-12-20, 22:33
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

Nope. I used to assume they were common, but I grew up with Scottish children's music.
So, the song tells you these things to the tune of She'll be coming round the mountain.
Not throwing your lunch out of a a high storey building is actually a reference to the high-rise buildings that were built in Castlemilk in the 60s, though.
Old 2012-12-28, 23:14
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
I don't have any problem at all with necrophilia, the only people it could hurt are dead anyway.
BACK WITH THE EPICNESS.

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2012-12-29, 00:04
Polly parrot

I've watched the Walking Dead, and I started wondering, do you catch that zombie flu if you have sexual intercourse with one of them ?
Old 2012-12-29, 11:54
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Only if you do it without a condom/jar
Old 2012-12-29, 14:03
Polly parrot

I'm not so sure, considering that zombie blood in the mouth/eyes never hurt anyone.

Tags
bible, classic, epic thread is epic, epic threads, israel, prophecy