Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > Fan Creations > Fan Music
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Fan Music The place for all your music creations

Old 2013-04-25, 17:41
the legend

Sounds of the Ocean

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2013-04-25, 20:45
Neko

funny rhythm at 2:20

Bit too ambient for me and not much melody, but that was to be expected
I like it more the further it gets in the track.
I wanted to write 'spacy', but ehm, should I say 'wet'?
Old 2013-04-27, 00:41
Previously Link

Interesting!

Is it really made entirely using underwater recordings?

I guess people have done that before, but I'd say it would be best suited as a soundtrack for a movie, documentary or video game related to oceans rather than a standalone track.

Well, you actually describe it better than me: it's more of a soundscape than music.
Old 2013-04-27, 01:29
the legend

Yes, I guess being a sound designer for a long time made me develop these passionate feelings for building soundcapes.

No, it is not entirely made with sounds from fish, there are a few synths and other sounds, but they are quite obvious (all the gnarling and throbbling and other weird sounds are fish, as well as the general underwater sounds of water moving and passing by you, etc.). For example, the specific moment Jesse mentioned, 2:20 is a moment of 100% fish sounds (even though processed in some way).

However, like Jesse pointed out, there are very few melodies, I've kept it to a mininum. Their intent is to add for the "deep sea" atmosphere and make it musical in some way.

sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2013-04-27 at 01:34.
Old 2013-04-27, 01:38
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
Yes, I guess being a sound designer for a long time made me develop these passionate feelings for building soundcapes.

No, it is not entirely made with sounds from fish, there are a few synths and other sounds, but they are quite obvious (all the gnarling and throbbling and other weird sounds are fish, as well as the general underwater sounds of water moving and passing by you, etc.). For example, the specific moment Jesse mentioned, 2:20 is a moment of 100% fish sounds (even though processed in some way).

However, like Jesse pointed out, there are very few melodies, I've kept it to a mininum. Their intent is to add for the "deep sea" atmosphere and make it musical in some way.
The more I heard it, the more I liked it
Old 2013-04-27, 02:05
the legend

Thanks.

Yes I guess it takes some time to get used to it...

Old 2013-04-28, 00:58
Polly parrot

That's... strange... I'm a bit creeped out by alive fishes underwater, and I got that feeling while listening to your tune. I guess it gives back well the feeling of being underwater

Either way, very interesting.
Old 2013-05-02, 06:56
the legend

Thank you, Polaris.

Old 2013-05-02, 19:19
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
That's... original. Kinda neat, but also weird at the same time. I don't know why I missed this. If you do anything similiar let me know. The beginning is a little slow but It gets very interesting after the first minutes.
Old 2013-05-03, 22:34
the legend

Grazie, Streggatzo!

Yes, the begginning is slow but it's meant to be like this "to get you in the mood", and also represents your way from surface unto the deep waters.

It depicts the listener floating in the open sea for a while and then going underwater - the water sound suddenly changes from the full-spectrum of sound to a bassy, dampened "inside-the-water" sound. Slowly, you hear less and less of the outside world as you're diving your way deeper and deeper, when finally the first fish appear (which is when you hear their sounds and not just water).

PS: When trying to write all this, I realized how limited my english is to accurately explain...

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2013-05-03 at 22:40.
Old 2013-05-10, 19:23
Previously Link

So I listened to it again. This time I closed the light, put it loud on the speakers instead of a headphone, and thought of the description you gave in the last post.

This felt much more "immersive" than the first time! This time I could really picture myself diving into the big blue.

The melody creates this sense of weirdness and danger, that makes you curious to "see" more, but in the meantime makes you feel a little nervous, and claustrophobic.
I don't know exactly why, but the weirdness of the atmosphere somehow reminded me of the Fantastic Planet. I could really picture this song in a cartoon with surreal imagery.
Old 2013-05-10, 19:26
Neko

Yeah it's kinda neat isn't it?
Old 2013-05-10, 20:11
the legend

Thanks, and yes, I guess the idea could be stretched into picturing sci-fi realms as well, given the weirdness of the ocean itself.

Old 2013-05-18, 21:20
Neko

I'd love a regular track from you too btw. I haven't heard that many yet. Do you have soundcloud or something?
Old 2013-05-19, 20:43
the legend

Yep! https://soundcloud.com/roy-rajabally . Need to update it with more recent work though.

Old 2013-07-19, 19:20
master of electronica

I finally got around to listening to this! Well done Mr. SpaceGuitarist - it's a very involving and unusual piece, and it captures the oceanic realm well (without using the typical means/sounds/motifs composers usually go for when trying to evoke aquatic stuff.) I like that there is a humorous/odd element too in the rhythms and sounds, because I find humour in weird deep sea creatures. I was expecting your piece to be very cinematic/'washy'/droney/resonant (which I also really like), but it was a very different take on the subject: it's kind of subtle and squishy and dry and quirky instead (without being stupid or over the top.) I'd like to hear further explorations into the same atmosphere from you!

On a side note, I wish there was more decent aquatic music, or rather, I wish one could make music in this genre without listeners/potential publishers cringing just because of associations in their mind. For example: I'd like to see whale songs given a decent, imaginative and serious musical response. Why should only the cheesiest/cheapest ends of newage music have a monopoly whale sounds, or rather why should that naff association be the first thing that comes to listener's minds when you're talking about ambient music using whale calls? Those sounds (along with lots of other sonic food from the sea) are some of the most beautiful, mysterious and stunning things to hear.
Old 2013-07-21, 02:04
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS2x View Post
I finally got around to listening to this! Well done Mr. SpaceGuitarist - it's a very involving and unusual piece, and it captures the oceanic realm well (without using the typical means/sounds/motifs composers usually go for when trying to evoke aquatic stuff.) I like that there is a humorous/odd element too in the rhythms and sounds, because I find humour in weird deep sea creatures. I was expecting your piece to be very cinematic/'washy'/droney/resonant (which I also really like), but it was a very different take on the subject: it's kind of subtle and squishy and dry and quirky instead (without being stupid or over the top.) I'd like to hear further explorations into the same atmosphere from you!
Much appreciated feedback, CS2x.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS2x View Post
On a side note, I wish there was more decent aquatic music, or rather, I wish one could make music in this genre without listeners/potential publishers cringing just because of associations in their mind. For example: I'd like to see whale songs given a decent, imaginative and serious musical response. Why should only the cheesiest/cheapest ends of newage music have a monopoly whale sounds, or rather why should that naff association be the first thing that comes to listener's minds when you're talking about ambient music using whale calls? Those sounds (along with lots of other sonic food from the sea) are some of the most beautiful, mysterious and stunning things to hear.
I share these same thoughts!

It is in fact with this mindset that I've set out to make my Deep Sea Life tune, exactly because natural wildlife sounds - in particular whale calls and even birds singing - are all too often misused and associated with new age music and the like, and this is very frustrating because for me I perceive these sounds for it's neutral, natural beauty. I do not want to associate them with any particular musical genre, religion, beliefs, style, etc.

Which is exactly why I've attempted to depict the ocean in a new way: it can be meditative - but it is not meant to be meditation music! And it can be realistic - while not being entirely realistic at all! It can be quirky/funny/odd on it's own like you mentioned without even trying to be so, and so on.

Your comment filled me with hope that listeners are aware of these fine nuances and can differentiate the effort I put in my work from other music that feature wildlife sounds. Thank you.

Old 2013-07-21, 03:29
the legend

( I hope it doesn't bother anyone here, but I've put your feedback in the song's webpage. Thanks everyone. )
Old 2013-07-21, 22:14
Magic Level: Red Ball

I like it a lot!
I hope I'll here more from you Spacey !
Old 2013-09-15, 15:19
Banned

Cool.