Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2006-06-08, 05:19
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
World Cup thread II - 2006

Hello. It is fantastic. Just two days left now. HAHAHAHHAA HAHAH Let the discussion begin, people. Dont panic or stress, the World Cup 2006 in Germany is here soon. Its great!!

It has been a nice night:
a) the beauty of nature, it is morning now and the sun has appeared on the dawning sky. quite cold but beautiful
b) streetlights reflecting old buildings that makes you realize that you live in a fairytale
c) im under influence of alcohol
d) it is summer!!!
e) the world cup starts within 37 hours!!
Old 2006-06-08, 06:09

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
OMG! Dude, remember the last game of 1994 when they had like 4 mini games at the end of the match? That was awsome! Let's hope this year is as energizing!
Old 2006-06-09, 00:12
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwing
OMG! Dude, remember the last game of 1994 when they had like 4 mini games at the end of the match? That was awsome! Let's hope this year is as energizing!
Mini games?

Let us predict the outcome of the tournament:
Winner: Brazil
Choose any team except Brazil: Germany
European surprise team: Serbia-Montenegro might go very far, but their group is very tough so I'll go for Switzerland.
non-European surprise team: I would like to say Ivory Coast here, but their group is so fucking hard. Iran.
Disappointment: Spain...
Top scorer: Miroslav Klose
Chosen FIFA best player of the tournament: Ronaldinho

Who will progress from each group:
Group A: Germany and Ecuador
Group B: England and Sweden
Group C: Argentina and Serbia-Montenegro
Group D: Portugal and Mexico
Group E: Italy and Czech Republic
Group F: Brazil and Croatia
Group G: France and Switzerland
Group H: Spain and Ukraine

Latest news:
- Our keeper Isaksson will miss the first match against Trinidad after recieving a concussion on training. This is very bad, because our two keeper subs suck. They play in small clubs in the Danish and Norwegian leagues and they have just played totally 3 internationals altogether.
- Ballack misses the match tomorrow. Very bad for Germany.
- Dos Santos is also out for game #1.
- It is just 18 hours left. I would like another week of waiting - I'm not ready!
Old 2006-06-09, 00:20
Still in a dream...

My two cents...

Winner: Germany
Choose any team except Brazil: England
European surprise team: Poland
non-European surprise team: I would like to say Ivory Coast here, but their group is so fucking hard. Iran. (I agree with Gustav)
Disappointment: France
Top scorer: No idea.
Chosen FIFA best player of the tournament: No idea.

Group A: Germany and Poland
Group C: Argentina and Netherlands
Group D: Portugal and Iran
Group F: Brazil and Croatia
Old 2006-06-09, 05:44
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
Winner: Brazil
European surprise team: Sweden (if it would even be considered a surprise)
non-European surprise team: Mexico
Disappointment: England
Chosen FIFA best player of the tournament: Probably Ronaldinho. Either him, or whoever will be the best in the final.

Group A: Germany and Poland
Group F: Brazil and Australia (won't happen, but I wish)
Old 2006-06-09, 15:59
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to johnnybrubacker
Winner: Argentina
European surprise team: Switzerland (good young side, Barnetta is a star in the making)
non-European surprise team: Mexico
Disappointment: England
Top Scorer - Ronaldo
Chosen FIFA best player of the tournament: Michael Ballack (they should rename Germany to Ballack FC)

Group F: Brazil and Australia ( I want Croatia to qualify but Gus Hiddink is a great coach)

ps Gustav, my team signed Karl Svensson, is he any good?
Also my exams finished yesterday.... so convenient!!!
Old 2006-06-10, 00:47
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandy
My two cents...
European surprise team: Poland
rofl, Poland were shite today, and Ecuador fully deserved their victory. Germany looked good going forward, but look very very unstable at the back, which will be a problem when they face quality opposition.

Anyway, let's have a look.

Winner: Italy
Choose any team except Brazil: Errr.. Italy
European surprise team: Ukraine or Switzerland. I'll go with Ukraine.
non-European surprise team: Ivory Coast
Disappointment: Spain, as always.
Top Scorer - Schevchenko
Chosen FIFA best player of the tournament: Riquelme

Ok, so I've watched the first two games. Poland and Costa Rica look poor. Ecuador look disciplined and should get past Costa Rica, but won't trouble the qualifiers from Group B. Germany look good going forward, but very suspect at the back. Home support can only carry them so far.

You have no idea how close I was to putting Paraguay in place of Sweden here. I guess I just like those South American teams. England to beat Sweden for the first time since whenever. Paraguay to draw against England but lose to Sweden. Everyone pisses over Trinidad(and Tobago) from a great height.

Group C: Argentina and Ivory Coast
Ooooh, controversial. There are always surprises in the world cup, and Ivory Coast look quite good. So why not? Really though group, this one though. I wouldn't be surprised if the Serbs caused an upset either.

Mexico look quite strong and could provide a surprise package. Portugal are also a solid team. If there's going to be an upset here, I'd expect Iran at the expense of Portugal.

Man, I really like the Czechs. They were my favourite team in Euro 2004 and I hope they do well here. I expect Italy to do well here, and I think they have a good chance to win the tournament despite the recent scandals (just like the last time they won in 82). Ghana have had good results in the friendlies before the tournament, and shouldn't be entriely written off. A potential surprise package.

Group F: Brazil and Japan
Brazil will qualify, but I think Australia, Japan and Croatia all have realistic hopes of making the last 16. Croatia are solid, Australia have Hiddink, so please don't ask me why I picked Japan.

Group G: Switzerland and France
I dunno, I can just see France fucking up again somehow. Switzerland have a good young side that could go far in this tournament (I think they'll be very strong at home in Euro 2008) if they gather some momentum. Dunno why I'm going to pick South Korea. Actually, why am I? I pick France instead.

Schevchenko will lead Ukraine to semi final glory. Spain will go through and then fuck up. As usual.
Old 2006-06-10, 00:51
Hello

Quote:
ps Gustav, my team signed Karl Svensson, is he any good?
Also my exams finished yesterday.... so convenient!!!
Ah, so you are a Rangers fan? But you aint Scottish, right?

Karl Svensson is perhaps Sweden's most interesting young central defender and was one of the few surprising includings in the World Cup squad. He has done a good job for Gothenburg in the league, and he is probably a good buy for you. He might be a part of our starting XI in South Africa 2010.

A nice day to finish the exams

Germany won today, without Ballack . But the facing team weren't very good, and if the Germans don't shape up their defence they will lose when they face better teams. They have two more matches to get things in order, because against England, Sweden or Paraguay in the 2nd round they can't play like this.

Very.. un-German btw...

Tomorrow Sweden enters the tournament. I expect us to crush Trinidad, perhaps 4-0 or 4-1. They have their best central defender out as well, so our great offence will just rape them. But we are not so good defensively with GK Isaksson injuried, and our right defensive flank is of really low class. So they might be able to score a goal.

Last edited by Gustav Sweden; 2006-06-10 at 01:01.
Old 2006-06-10, 01:00
Hello

Quote:
England to beat Sweden for the first time since whenever.
Since 1968 . But I actually think that you might be able to do it this time, the English team looks impressive. But it will be hard, English football is almost religion in Scandinavia and our players always play their best matches against you guys. Hopefully we have already beat T&T and Paraguay before that match, so it won't matter. On the other hand it will matter, because the group winner will avoid Germany.

Sweden tomorrow (probably): Shaaban-Alexandersson (I would prefer Mikael Nilsson here), Lucic, Mellberg, Edman-Linderoth-Wilhelmsson, Svensson (I would prefer Källström here), Ljungberg-Ibrahimovic, Larsson

Sweden is not what it used to be, today we have our greatest strengths in the attack while our defence is much more insecure.
Old 2006-06-10, 01:20
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav Sweden
Ah, so you are a Rangers fan? But you aint Scottish, right?
Yeah, I'm not scottish but i grew up in Scotland so that makes it ok for me to support Rangers. . Also we've been linked with another Swede Johan Elmander (I'd really have liked to see Kim Kallstrom sign for us because he looks like a great playmaker). You must be happy because Larsson is signing for Helsingborg again after this tournament (you support them right?).

I think Germany were very weak defensively today, trying to play the offside rule backfired very badly on them but they were fortunate with two amazing goals . Poland were very poor but Ecuador showed a masterclass in defending and didn't let Poland get a sniff of the goal. I think if Poland got a few shots in, they would have scored because the Ecuador keeper looked really suspect.

I think England won't beat Sweden this time around again but it will be a draw. They can exploit the right hand side of Sweden, are they playing Niclas Alexandersson there (who is not very good defensively)? Sweden didn't do very well in their warm up games so their confidence may be short at the moment as well but they always seem to perform against England!
Old 2006-06-10, 05:13

I missed the matches yesterday because I went with my family to a restaurant. Anyway, looks like a great start for the world cup.

Three promising matches are expected today, and we'll finally see if Ivory Coast are as good as everyone says.
Old 2006-06-10, 12:34
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybrubacker
Yeah, I'm not scottish but i grew up in Scotland so that makes it ok for me to support Rangers. . Also we've been linked with another Swede Johan Elmander (I'd really have liked to see Kim Kallstrom sign for us because he looks like a great playmaker). You must be happy because Larsson is signing for Helsingborg again after this tournament (you support them right?).

I think Germany were very weak defensively today, trying to play the offside rule backfired very badly on them but they were fortunate with two amazing goals . Poland were very poor but Ecuador showed a masterclass in defending and didn't let Poland get a sniff of the goal. I think if Poland got a few shots in, they would have scored because the Ecuador keeper looked really suspect.

I think England won't beat Sweden this time around again but it will be a draw. They can exploit the right hand side of Sweden, are they playing Niclas Alexandersson there (who is not very good defensively)? Sweden didn't do very well in their warm up games so their confidence may be short at the moment as well but they always seem to perform against England!
Yeah, it is fucking great that he is coming home! It will be a glorious end to a glorious career to have him playing a few seasons in Helsingborg. I will be there the 17th july when he comes back

I don't think that our bad friendly results affect the players. It has been obvious in those matches against Ireland, Finland and Chile that the players just haven't bothered at all. At the same time we have faced very motivated opposition, both Ireland and Finland played with new managers (Steve Staunton and Roy Hodgson). The big problems that makes people worried here is the right defence and Zlatan Ibrahimovic' insecure form. We don't really have any right wing defender, both of the guys included in the squad (Mikael Nilsson (Panathinaikos) and Niclas Alexandersson (Gothenburg) are originally midfielders. Our real right backs are not better though, and they were surprisingly left outside of the squad (Alexander Östlund (Southampton) after having been part of the starting XI for the whole qualification was turned down after Damien Duff humiliated him in a friendly vs Ireland). This is a BIG problem, in every game the opponents' left wingers play with our guys.

Quote:
I missed the matches yesterday because I went with my family to a restaurant. Anyway, looks like a great start for the world cup.
Hey, hey! Bad timing!
Quote:
Three promising matches are expected today, and we'll finally see if Ivory Coast are as good as everyone says.
I saw Ivory Coast in the African Nations Cup and in the World Cup qualifier vs Cameroon. I would say that they are the 2nd best side in Africa at the moment (after Cameroon). A great team with great players, and also a team who can play "European" with strong defence and stamina-based soccer. This combined with their great technique and offensive skill in players like Drogba, Dindane and Akale make them a serious threat to everyone. I really hope that they will beat Argentina today, but it will of course be very hard. Football means much to the ivorians, whose country is split in two because of a civil war between christians and muslims. Football unites.

Btw, it's called soccer
Old 2006-06-10, 15:27
Still in a dream...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapman
rofl, Poland were shite today, and Ecuador fully deserved their victory.
Agreed. Poland were fucking asleep. The first goal let in by our keeper was almost unforgivable. Ecuador played well though. And this unfortunately may be the end of Poland's world cup attempt. I can't see us beating Germany with a repeat performance. Maybe it was just us warming up...

As for the England game so far, it's looking good. Nice free kick by Beckham and a rather unfortunate own goal conceded by Paraguay as a result. Ouch.
Old 2006-06-10, 17:42
Magic Ball Master

That was a horrible match and a poor performance by England, especially in the 2nd half, against a poor Paraguay team. Even for all of our passing and possesion in the first half, we created nothing and were reduced to a few long range efforts. Thank fuck we got that early goal, because we never looked like adding to it in the 2nd half.

Also, Sven is shite. I thought that wretched 4-4-1-1 formation had finally been buried but he ressurects in the second half with 30 minutes to go, giving us no outlets up front. If Owen has to come off, why not bring Walcott on? Oh wait, because he's probably not good enough. How I wish we had Defoe/Johnson/Bent/Ashton with us now.

I also want to retract my earlier prediction of England beating Sweden. If we play like that, it wont happen.

At least we got the 3 points, but I worry about what a good team will do to us.
Old 2006-06-10, 19:55
Magic Ball Master

Trinidad & Tobago get a draw with Sweden!! Their defence was excellent but Sweden really should have put one away.
Old 2006-06-10, 20:25

Two big yawns today, let's hope for better things in the next match.
Old 2006-06-10, 20:36
Magic Ball Master

That Trinidad match was excellent!

C'mon you Soca Warriors!

How does it feel Gustav? How does it feel?
Old 2006-06-10, 20:42
Still in a dream...

England and Sweden aren't on form. It'll be an interesting match...
Old 2006-06-10, 21:47
Magic Ball Master

Argentina vs Ivory Coast, what a match!!! Both teams really on form, probably the first good match of this world cup
Old 2006-06-10, 23:05
LBA fan

!@)(!*@!()#&!@#(*@¨%!()%¨!)@(*")(&

Ffffffffff

Old 2006-06-10, 23:59
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medur

Ffffffffff

What's up? You should be happy, you're from brazil.
Old 2006-06-11, 00:24
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medur

Ffffffffff

Agreed.

A bad day. The only good thing was that England won, hopefully they will already be qualified when we face them.

"4-0, perhaps 5-0", I said this week when people asked me how I thought the match would end. Instead we got a 0-0 draw after a bad performance. The key players weren't visible and we didn't start playing until the end when Kim Källström was brought on. The fact that coach Lagerbäck waited until the 80th minute to make that substitution is bizarre. There are no excuses for leaving him out of the starting XI in the match against Paraguay.

The "nation" is in a state of shock.

A match both teams have to win. But Paraguay didn't look very scary today, except Nelson Valdez' sharp finishes.

And then Ivory Coast played great, great, soccer - better than I had dared to hope. But Argentina were very effective and scored on their few chances. Great to see that Henri Michel - contrary to Lagerbäck - dared to make some very offensive substitutions early on. Drogba was great, just as Artur Boka, Keita, and Kolo Touré. I think they still have a chance to progress, but beating both Serbia and Netherlands will be very hard. Argentina and Ivory Coast are the only two teams that have impressed at all up to this point. Group of Death really.

It was btw funny that Sven made that substitution with Owen<->Stewart Downing. I thought we would see another late comeback against England in a big tournament

Quote:
How does it feel Gustav? How does it feel?

Last edited by Gustav Sweden; 2006-06-11 at 00:34.
Old 2006-06-11, 01:10
LBA fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreGGy
What's up? You should be happy, you're from brazil.
Argentina won, why should I be happy?

Ivory Coast were great indeed. This is their first time in a World Cup, if they don't do so well on this one they have the potential to be a very strong team in the future. They were a quite pleasant surprise.
Old 2006-06-11, 01:28
Magic Ball Master

Ivory Coast were superb today. Great to watch, and with better finishing would have and should have walked away with at least a draw. Argentina look very strong and I think they have a very realistic chance of winning the tournament. Riquelme was sublime in the first half, and Salviola too the 2nd goal superbly.

It's a real pity that we might lose Ivory Coast (or Holland for that matter) before the last 16, because them, along with Argentina, are the best team I've seen so far. It's even more frustrating when you consider how weak Groups A and B have looked so far. For all the hype and the fact that on paper we have one of the strongest teams, England are too negative and will get beat by the first good team they come across. Paraguay look much weaker than they did in 98 and 02, and Sweden were very dissapointing, although I'm sure 9 times out of 10 they would have beaten Trinidad. But you really need Ibrahimovic to play much much better than he did today.

I'm interested to see how Serbia do tomorrow - after all they had a great qualifying campaign, conceding only 1 goal. I get the feeling that they'll be real bastards to play against, much like Greece in '04.
Old 2006-06-11, 01:39
Hello

Ibrahimovic was better than Larsson and Ljungberg today, I think. It was quite bizarre to watch them being invisible against T&T after having seen them dominating the Champions League final a month ago.