Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2008-07-21, 22:33
Idyllic + whimsical

"Fall 2008".
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2008-07-21, 22:35
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBall2K View Post
"Fall 2008".
Almost as good as my personal favorite, "Q4."
Old 2008-07-22, 01:10
master of electronica

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/07/...ammi.html#more
Old 2008-07-22, 14:28
Magic Ball Master

Ah fuck it. As soon as I get a job, I'm getting a 360.

After playing Gears of War, GTA 4 and Rez HD at a friends house, I'm sold. I kinda need another console, because aside from Madworld (which wont be out for a while yet), there is nothing in the pipeline that interests me for the Wii.
Old 2008-07-22, 21:20
master of electronica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapman View Post
Ah fuck it. As soon as I get a job, I'm getting a 360.

After playing Gears of War, GTA 4 and Rez HD at a friends house, I'm sold. I kinda need another console, because aside from Madworld (which wont be out for a while yet), there is nothing in the pipeline that interests me for the Wii.
I'd recommend it - I recently got one. Just beware of reliability issues; mine's been okay so far, but loads of people have had problems, including most people I know who have owned Xbox 360s.

It's almost worth it for Rez HD alone, imho, but then I am an obsessive fan of the game.
Old 2008-07-22, 21:59
Idyllic + whimsical

What about that Red Ring of Death™ I heard about. Anybody had any experience with it?
I semi-know this guy that has an X360 and he bought and extra fan to avoid it.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2008-07-22, 22:26
Father of Shoda

well, some of my friends had it but it was more usual with the older premium version which didn't have a HDMI input, and there is guarantee
for it also so..

Listen to my band's EP on one of the following links!

Check it out:
https://soundcloud.com/inglorious-da...orious-days-ep
http://ingloriousdays.bandcamp.com/
http://open.spotify.com/album/3C1idn10yT06VK0qPiusku
Old 2008-07-23, 03:31
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBall2K View Post
What about that Red Ring of Death™ I heard about. Anybody had any experience with it?
I semi-know this guy that has an X360 and he bought and extra fan to avoid it.
I've had several friends with the issue. From what I understand, it's not so much the overheating, but actually a flaw in the setup between the power source and the fan which, during a power cycle, can cause a jolt that bricks the sytem.
Old 2008-07-23, 03:53
Do the evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapman View Post
After playing Gears of War(...)
The PC version has more shit and is generally better looking and nicer...
Same will probably be with GTA4 when a PC one comes...
Old 2008-07-23, 08:54
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Thats one thing the Xbox has suffered from, things coming out later..and better...on PC
Still, it has some nice looking 'true' exclusives. Banjo: Nuts and Bolts for instance.
==
More information on "The Conduit" for Wii;

Videos;
http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14248...ykill_071.html
(looks better in motion)

Details;
http://wii.ign.com/articles/891/891710p1.html

Sounds better and better.
I suspect it may get all the technical boxs ticked...(FPS,Very Decent Graphics Engine,Best WiiControlls, Online Multiplayer)...but have some gameplay flaws.

Still, for a small developer, this is something pushing the Wii about 10 times more then most 3rd partys.
====
"Fragile", a rather nice looking Wii rpg adventure from Namco.

An RPG not set in a generic fantasy future?
Another one to keep an eye on.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/884/884837p1.html

Also screens are now coming in from the Port of "Dead Rising" (Dead Rising: Chop Til You Drop);

It apperently uses the same engine as Resident Evil 4 on the Wii...which works great both for controlls and graphics.
However, imho, it looks like they have spent 1/10th as much effort on this port.
Resident Evil 4 looked so good because of attention to detail with textures, this looks quite sloopy in comparison.
Still, if the gameplay is there it could be quite fun.
Wiimote in principle could be great for say, removing the head or destroying the brain....

Last edited by Darkflame; 2008-07-23 at 09:24.
Old 2008-07-23, 09:19
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
And on the handheld front;

Cilivilisation DS:

Looks messy.

And;

Prince of Persia: Fallen King.
http://www.gamearena.com.au/videos/l...3-2008-trailer

Really nice trailer actualy.
Ubisoft looks to be actualy making a decent DS game O_o

Also, not E3 news, but interesting anyway, Nintendo has launched a new Wii channel in Japan;
http://www.cubed3.com/external.php?item_id=11415
It lets you order images to be printed, or made into buisness cards, from the photochannel or Mii.
Not a major thing, but a nice idea.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2008-07-23 at 14:03.
Old 2008-07-23, 16:39
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
"If there is any perception that Nintendo is ignoring the core gamers, it’s a misunderstanding and we really want to get rid of that misunderstanding by any means. We are sorry about [the E3] media briefings, specifically for those who were expecting to see Nintendo show something about ‘Super Mario’ or ‘Legend of Zelda.’ However, the fact of the matter is the so-called ‘big titles’ need a long, long development period. … We really didn’t think this year’s E3 media briefing was the time to do so.” - Satoru Iwata
^ Gotta love Ninty damage control, lol. Between this and Reggie telling us that E3 was "hardcore" with Animal Crossing, I think I may need to puke in my mouth a little.
Old 2008-07-23, 16:48
Magic Ball Master

Old 2008-07-23, 16:50
Magic Ball Master

Old 2008-07-23, 16:51
Magic Ball Master

Even better...

http://kotaku.com/5027994/third+part...wii-motionplus

^ So devs had no idea about this?

No wonders SW: TFU and SW: TCW don't have 1:1.
Old 2008-07-23, 17:19
Classic

Nintendo probably only finnished the device recently.
Most developers havnt even made Gamecube quality games for the Wii.
They long forfitted their right to be on the "cutting-edge" of what Nintendo developes.

Besides, it will take at least a year before a decent number of Wii owners have Motion+.
Most developers just wanted to know sooner so they could bring out cheap crappy mini-games with the motion plus logo on the front.

Honestly, thats exactly what would have happened.
Its what happened with the Wii and DS at launch too.

===

I really dont get why its so hard to understand games take 2-3 years to develop, and we just had all the main Nintendo franchise's recently.

Seriously.
Whats so hard about this to understand? Why is this considered "spin"

Clearly most people....especialy that comic writter....has no bloody clue how massive the work is that goes into a Zelda game. It really depress's me the shear ignorance of the moaning mass's.
Nintendo could do a few things quickly for upmarket gamers....downloadable Mario Galaxy levels, for instance.
But claiming we should be seeing a Zelda title now is just nonsense. 1 year is not enough, not even for a video. Anything made in that time would be, effectively, a lie. (Nintendo developes gameplay prototypes long before they have visual assets worth showing, and then you got the "up-ending" of teatables as well.)

Cant we leave stuff for a supprise? Do we REALLY need to see games when they are barely started development?

That combined with the fact E3 was a shrunked down shadow of its former self is ample explanation why Nintendo (or, in fact, Sony or Microsoft as well) had bugger all new at E3.
Frankly, E3 should be shot to put it out of its missery.

But out of what was shown, why dont we discuse those? I tried to stear this thread back to talking about games, which seemed to fail.
If we are to encourage good games, then purhapes looking at what could be good is a way of going about it, rather then looking at what obviously isnt.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2008-07-23 at 17:29.
Old 2008-07-23, 17:28
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
Haha, so true.

Darkflame: I agree. Some fools are already selling their Wiis because Nintendo didn't reveal anything in a tiny little press conference. People don't want to understand. They just see the other games coming out and think that they could have been other titles as well. But face it, Wii Sports Resort is much easier to make than a Zelda game. I'd rather have fewer games which are better than a mass of games which suck (like Wii Play). The current main franchise titles for the Wii show it: Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart and Smash Bros. are all great.
Old 2008-07-23, 17:32
Classic

-sigh-
Old 2008-07-23, 17:33
Magic Ball Master

I hadn't finished.
Old 2008-07-23, 17:34
Classic

oh, ok.

umm...

-hgis-
(anti-sigh)

Quote:
Darkflame: I agree. Some fools are already selling their Wiis because Nintendo didn't reveal anything in a tiny little press conference. People don't want to understand. They just see the other games coming out and think that they could have been other titles as well. But face it, Wii Sports Resort is much easier to make than a Zelda game. I'd rather have fewer games which are better than a mass of games which suck (like Wii Play). The current main franchise titles for the Wii show it: Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart and Smash Bros. are all great.
Absolutely.

I'm only worried that Nintendo will start rushing games to try to deal with this critism.
Id rather they took their time on whatever their big teams are working on.

I really think the only answer is for them to do some download distribution stuff in the short term.
Things for the more expirenced gamer, but not nesscerly long or big.

Anyhow...
Apart from the above games, of which Fragil and Conduit I have high-hopes for theres also Captain Rainbow;

http://www.cubed3.com/news/10386

O_o
Whatever else you can say about Nintendo, I think the one thing we can all agree on is they are still smokeing something.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2008-07-23 at 17:48.
Old 2008-07-23, 18:25
Magic Ball Master

I'm not selling my Wii, but if it weren't for my PS3, I might have to stop gaming. There would be nothing for me to play right now that I'm interested in...

Plus, I mean, c'mon. I realize that it takes awhile to develop *good* games, but seriously, Animal Crossing is hardcore? Let's phone it in a bit more, guys...I mean, I couldn't have been Reggie in that situation and kept a straight face when G4 asked him where the hardcore was and he replied with AC.
Old 2008-07-23, 18:32
Magic Ball Master

It's true that when you don't like Mario Kart or Brawl then there isn't really much left for the Wii right now. I also agree on Animal Crossing, the Wii Speak and all don't help it being "hardcore".

Captain Rainbow is truly obscure stuff.
Old 2008-07-23, 19:07
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
Plus, I mean, c'mon. I realize that it takes awhile to develop *good* games, but seriously, Animal Crossing is hardcore? Let's phone it in a bit more, guys...I mean, I couldn't have been Reggie in that situation and kept a straight face when G4 asked him where the hardcore was and he replied with AC.
Yeah. An Animal Crossing game that looks like it's hardly advanced at all (save a few online features) since the Gamecube original.

Were it not for the multiplayer awesomness of Super Smash Bros Brawl (with we play with Gamecube controllers), my Wii would be gathering a lot of dust right now.
Old 2008-07-23, 21:28
Classic

Thing is, by some deffinitions of hardcore, Animal Crossing could well come under it.

Personaly, I think its far more important if the game is good.
And, as has been rightly pointed out, it dosnt look like the game has changed much at all.

As my own gaming at the moment, I dont have time for much.
I'm still very much enjoying Zack & Wiki, and have bought but have yet to start Okami. I havnt download Lost Winds yet, allthough thats not very long.
Obviously plenty of people have finnished these games or played them already, but personaly I have still got a lot of gaming from last gen to catch up on

Incidently, anyone know when Professor Lyton and the Mysterious Village is out in europe?
Old 2008-07-23, 22:16
Magic Ball Master

And for the final confirmation of all things said before about Nintendo:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyamoto
So while attending an E3 event like this, they might be given the impression that Nintendo is no longer focusing on the games that appeal to the core gamer, in fact we’re still working on many of those titles, but it’s just not the type of event where we’ll be showcasing that anymore.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25710005/

Tags
games, videogames