Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2011-09-18, 20:37
Polly parrot

I just read in a magazine that the 3DS was region locked.... WTF ?! Why doing such a thing ? The Virtual Boy was already region-free (1995) ! Why starting it again after so much time...
Old 2011-09-18, 20:45
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Yeah, it sucks to have a region locked handheld. I hope that someday a region free hack is made, like the one I have on my Wii. I don't want to miss out on juicy exclusives, especially because I live in europe and we are know for usually getting the short end of the stick, though a bit less lately (obvious example: Xenoblade)
Old 2011-09-19, 13:46
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Region locks are are suckytude to the max.
There is ZERO excuse for them these days, on any system whatsoever.

It used to be that older tv systems couldn't have processed and converted NTSC/PAL on the fly, so there was some excuse with actualy needing different versions for different hz speed and res.
But now? its trival! Its pure market control - and not even sensible ones at that. Whatever they gain by price-controlling and stopping grey imports, they will lose by saling less games IN TOTAL. Its nuts.

Anyway, yes, europe is doing better these days; Xenoblade,Pandora's Tower,Last Story being the 3 big ones we are getting the US isnt.

On the other hand, we are getting a gimped version of Layton4 without the post-game RPG section.
Then again, DS games are still region free, even on the 3DS.
Old 2011-09-19, 14:39

Yeah, region locking a handheld especially makes no sense.
The lack of the post-game rpg in the new Layton makes me very sad :/ I looked forward to playing it, because it was done by the same team who developed the japan-only gba game MOTHER 3, one of my favorite games ever. They even used the same sprite art style in London Life that's a low hit. I guess I'll have to play both the italian version and US version
Old 2011-09-28, 11:55

Sorry for the double post, but Four Swords is now available for download (Europe)
Old 2011-09-28, 13:02
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Yippie!
Old 2011-09-29, 00:23
Polly parrot

My sister has a DSi, she sure won't need it right now...
Old 2011-10-02, 11:46

Btw, I fixed the upper screen scratching problem on my 3DS. It was getting kind of annoying, thankfully it didn't leave a permanent scratch.
I used this method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EXc4...eature=related
Works like a charm and is visually undetectable
Old 2011-11-19, 01:54
Classic

Really nice Zelda Medly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=WWyI-58gpic

In other news: Skyward Sword is pretty.
Old 2011-11-19, 15:10
Polly parrot

I was like "Wowww, what awesome graphics ! Oh wait, it's filmed irl."

Why is Link played by a woman ? How old is he in Skyward Sword ? If he is young, they could have gotten a child...
Old 2011-11-19, 17:15
Classic

Quote:
Why is Link played by a woman?
Because she is also the one playing the instrument (allthough she is obviously just acting in the footage, she is the artist on the violin for the music).
Getting a zelda cosplayer this skilled is probably quite hard :P

Quote:
How old is he in Skyward Sword ?
17-20ish I think, just on looks.
Old 2011-11-21, 23:04
Classic

We interupt your skyward sword playing to bring you an important Zelda Rap Battle:
http://kotaku.com/5861006/a-zelda-ra...us-its-amazing
Old 2011-11-22, 01:05
Magic Ball Master

I'm anxious to get Skyward Sword later this week. However, re-playing Twilight Princess has really stressed the flaws of the Wii (granted TP came at the beginning of its cycle) in terms of a lack of HD graphics (playing with progressive scan still provides a washed out, jag-laden picture), poor camera controls (removing the free camera from Wind Waker), and something of a let down from the great Wind Waker (which is probably my favorite Zelda ever).

Here's hoping Skyward Sword gets it right. From IGN's review, it sounds like they did.
Old 2011-11-22, 16:04
Classic

If you replay Wind Waker you'll be reminded of its flaws too,though, its far shorter and more repedative then TP with a lot less to do. Its just the graphics style make it age a lot better.
Old 2011-11-22, 16:40
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
If you replay Wind Waker you'll be reminded of its flaws too,though, its far shorter and more repedative then TP with a lot less to do. Its just the graphics style make it age a lot better.
I've replayed WW more than TP, but minus the sailing parts (which were admittedly tedious) it still felt like a more satisfying Zelda game. TP felt kind of like Okami, but Okami did it better.
Old 2011-11-23, 23:26

Fun fact: I have the Skyward Sword limited edition, preordered it one month ago. Cool stuff. Mostly because I needed a Wiimote plus anyway.
Old 2011-12-07, 17:41
Classic

The music CD with it is good too. Lots of nice tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
I've replayed WW more than TP, but minus the sailing parts (which were admittedly tedious) it still felt like a more satisfying Zelda game. TP felt kind of like Okami, but Okami did it better.
Okami's start was certainly better, but it too got repedative from about 60% onwards for me (became more fighting then anything else by a big margin. TP kept its puzzle/fight ratio consistant.). It was cool how Okami had lots of "wow...theres another area!" moments, but it suffered a bit from not filling all the latter ones up too good.
Okami and WindWaker could have both been better if they were shorter,imo.
Knock about 30% of the games and they would have been more replayable.
I think both companies felt they "had" too make them a certain length and were on a deadline so they stretched them out a little. (TWW was made at a time when Nintendo wasnt looking too good).

The best Zelda game on the cube was Beyond Good and Evil for me
It was basicly I feel what TWW would have been if it was more streamlined - I replayed BG&E straight away after playing it once. I dont think Ive done that for any other game.

Anyways....

3DS update! Videorecording, new streetpast quest and some shop improvements.
Old 2011-12-08, 18:17
Magic Ball Master

My first impression of Skyward Sword (about two hours in):

+ The sword dynamic is really neat. I can see this as a staple for years to come, if Nintendo chooses to stick with motion control. Could really inspire some other devs to properly use the technology for adventure/action games.

+ The story seems really fun. Playing Twilight Princess beforehand was a good idea. There are clear connections in that game (ex. the constant talk about sky people and an ancient race) that carry over to the new one. The characters seem very vibrant and hearken back to Wind Waker, an atmosphere that I felt was sorely lacking from Twilight Princess.

+ The graphics are (for the Wii) very good. I'm still frequently pissed by jaggies and the (generally) washed output from the Wii (where whites are grayish and black levels are nonexistent) but they've done the series a service by, again, looking back at Wind Waker for inspiration. I think the best way to describe them are "Disneyfied." More than once, especially with the quality facial expressions (though how much longer can they carry a series without voice acting? We've seen this show before), I felt like I was watching a cartoon rather than playing a game. That's a compliment to how Nintendo has brought their artistic approach this time around.

- The sword dynamic, and in general, motion controls, are not really neat. Once again, the motion controls are forced upon us rather than optional. I don't think everything needs to be motion controlled. The flying dynamic - something Nintendo has jammed down our throat in Twilight Princess and made even more tedious in the Flut-Flut missions of Mario Galaxy is back for more. Honestly, pronating the wrist to turn is annoying and the planing of the Wii remote is tedious. The explanation that you have to "flap" the remote to fly was not clear (at least to me), I understood you had to fly down to gain speed and then pull up, ala Batman: Arkham City. Once I figured out how to flap, it became slightly less tedious. Similarly, the swordfighting should be a bit more intuitive, but I feel more lucky than good against most blocking enemies. You'd think if an enemy leaves a particular point vulnerable, a contextual slash would work, but I've been disappointed by the execution of the battles so far. I've also found that the shield dynamic is more of a nuisance. I'm assuming you get a "better" shield somewhere down the line, but adding the RPG element to the shield (i.e. it wears down rather quickly) seems to be ill-conceived. So why doesn't your sword wear down as well? It just doesn't fit the series. I didn't like the RPG elements in The Adventure of Link and to see this brought back does not really do much for me. I'll also add in that I find navigating menus to be very poor in this game. I hate having to individually initiate dialogue to shop at a store, and I hate having to reset my Wii's center point several times throughout a session. This is why I generally loathe motion controls. Is it really that hard, or hurting your vision, to let those of us who prefer to use an analog stick revert to that control scheme?

- The save system. I never have been a fan of "find the save point" type games, but to be honest, this is another half-cooked idea. Why bother having save points in the game if there is one in every area? Wouldn't letting you save on-demand have been just as effective? It's not necessary.

- The quasi-theft of Assassin's Creed's backstory. So now Spoiler:
I'm being instructed by an alien creature who has a greater destiny for me
rather than a fairy? At least the fairy fit with the Zelda universe. I'm not sure where your assistant fits this time around, but it doesn't "feel" like Zelda to me.

- Small gripe: why the fuck would Zelda, a game where exploring caves, cubbies, and chests, suddenly scold you for looking in cabinets? Seriously? Don't even make it a fucking user object then. Don't let the player interact with it. Fuck you, Nintendo.
Old 2011-12-08, 19:06
Classic

Quote:
The graphics are (for the Wii) very good.
They seem to have some neat texture enlarging filter that deliberately makes it splotchy. Its a clever way to get around the system limitations I think, because else youd need very high res textures to get the same paint-ish effect.

Not sure Ive ever seen this in a game before. You also notice it in the distance - things dont fade out but get more like dabs of paint. Interesting technical thing.

Quote:
but adding the RPG element to the shield (i.e. it wears down rather quickly) seems to be ill-conceived. So why doesn't your sword wear down as well? It just doesn't fit the series. I didn't like the RPG elements in The Adventure of Link and to see this brought back does not really do much for me.
Agreed.
I think it just adds backtracking.
For Zelda games I think each item should do something fundimentaly new.

ie. Shield>>MirrorShield etc.

Doing the same thing "but lasts longer" isnt really a reward, its just taking away irratation they introduced.
Quote:
the motion controls are forced upon us rather than optional.
I fail to see how they could be optional. Too much of the game is tuned to them. Doing, say, 8 directions of swordslashing while moving would be very hard to do any other way.
Likewise for using the divining function while being able to walk about. Or bowling bombs.

The flapping mechcanic could indeed be done differently though.

Quote:
I understood you had to fly down to gain speed and then pull up, ala Batman: Arkham City.
Or Mario World with the cape :P

Last edited by Darkflame; 2011-12-08 at 19:20.
Old 2011-12-08, 19:28
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
I fail to see how they could be optional. Too much of the game is tuned to them. Doing, say, 8 directions of swordslashing while moving would be very hard to do any other way.
Likewise for using the divining function while being able to walk about. Or bowling bombs.
To me, it is little things. Because the Wii loses it's "zero point," so to speak, having to C --> look with the Wiimote is annoying. I could just use the analog stick. Same with navigating shop menus. Or menus in general. Or flying. See what I mean? I don't mean to say the motion should be eliminated entirely, because like you said, the swordslashing takes full advantage of the technology. But in other cases, Ninty seems to foist it upon us not because it makes sense or is more efficient but simply because they can.
Old 2011-12-08, 22:20
Classic

Guess your zero point must be lost more often then me for some reason.
Ive never had to recenter when playing. (I actualy assumed it did that itself when you pointest the sword skyward....I thought the gimick was a crafty way to put the centering into the gameplay). When playing WSR swordplay I normaly have to recenter every 5 or so matchs, by comparison.

Not sure whats wrong with the menu's though - they use IR and snap to the box. Seems pretty quick to me.
Flying I think I quite like - as I have no problems with controlling the bug thing. (which I hold like a paper airplane sort-of).

However, I do have problems with the bird which I think is down to the flapping mostly.
So somehow it seems harder then the bug to steer too, but I could just be imagining it.
---
As for "c>look"....you could do that with a analogue stick ,sure. But then you couldn't move about at the same time.
Not sure if thats ever actualy needed or not in the game though.
Old 2011-12-09, 18:02
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
As for "c>look"....you could do that with a analogue stick ,sure. But then you couldn't move about at the same time.
Not sure if thats ever actualy needed or not in the game though.
Worked fine in Twilight Princess. You could aim, move, and look with the bow + arrow, for example, by holding the Z button down while holding B to pull back on the bow and move Link with the analog stick. It's possible, and IMHO, preferable. Very useful against projectile enemies.
Old 2011-12-09, 18:32
Classic

You mean with lock on? or using IR? I was thinking about manually aiming while moving.
Locking on isnt really aiming, imho :P
But, I would agree that if your talking about IR aiming, that that is just as accurate and allows movement at the same time. Not sure why they changed it to tilt based movement.

Always ambiguity when talking about motion controls...I never know if people mean just the tilting/gyro stuff or also the pointer stuff too :P
---
I still think my ideal controls, incidentally, would be effectively "tri-analogue" letting movement, aiming, and head turning all work separately. Aiming could be done via IR, and movement and head with two sticks. Or I guess head could be gyro but youd need to hock it up to the acceleration rather then absolute angle - not sure how intuitive that will be.
Basically, I've always wanted a game where you could, in theory, run forward while looking left and right, while simulantiously shooting blindly completely behind you :P
Old 2011-12-09, 18:48
Magic Ball Master

It wasn't locked on, either. If you use the button combination I indicated, you are not locked in (you can aim freely with the Wiimote) while being able to move Link freely with the analog stick. As a bonus, you can still execute the lock-on evades, which is useful against the enemies with projectiles.

Why this isn't possible in Skyward Sword, I don't know. I try to avoid analyzing Ninty's "logic."
Old 2011-12-09, 18:48
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Basically, I've always wanted a game where you could, in theory, run forward while looking left and right, while simulantiously shooting blindly completely behind you :P
The Uncharted series on the PS3 does this quite well.

Tags
consoles, games, nintendo ds, videogames