Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2015-02-12, 18:09
Quetching a Mr.

Post Nintendo 64 Interests?

It has been a very long time since my last thread. I know I always bring this same subject up, but it is very true.

As so the title says, all I am implying is if anyone else here on the forums is as interested in the Nintendo 64 as I am. I both understand and realize that the platform is very outdated, and it does not reach any video game standards today, other than the fact that some of those games set both an evolution and revolution on the video games that we play today. I have always loved these games, mostly because I grew up with the games, and they have a certain feeling to them, just like LBA. In addition, I love the low - polygon, texture caching, and bilinear texture filtering techniques of the system's hardware, and many other characteristics. Already I can tell, this thread is going to be long, so I will try to condense it, though there is much more I would like to say.

I have been researching about a lot of Nintendo's history, whether it have to be with the games, systems, people, companies, second, or even third party companies, there is one game that I have been completely obsessed with lately. Unfortunately, it will only make me more depressed unless someone can leak a playable ROM. This game was cancelled a mere 15 - 16 years ago, and changed into something almost completely different.

This game was known as Dinosaur Planet for the Nintendo 64. It was supposed to be Rareware's biggest and most ambitious project yet. During the E3 Exposition in late 2000, Shigeru Miyamoto of Nintendo joked that the protagonist of the game looked an awful lot like Fox McCloud from the Starfox franchise. After having interviewed the game with Rare, development of Dinosaur Planet was unheard of for a year or so. In late 2001, Starfox Adventures took the place of Dinosaur Planet.

When I was younger, I liked Starfox Adventures very much. Looking back on this whole situation, I would have to disagree. Several elements were changed through the conversion from Dinosaur to Starfox, and about 2 / 3 of the game was completely changed. Some elements did not even exist in the final version which were going to be in Dinosaur, which created several plot holes in Starfox Adventures. Heck, you do not even get to beat the boss that was originally intended. If you ask me, I would say that Starfox Adventures is a dirty joke, which is why it is so different from it's predecessors. People both like, and dislike Starfox Adventures, the same with Dinosaur Planet. Though I think Dinosaur Planet would have been better as it's own IP.

Although I do like the fact that there are screenshots, art work, footage, and even music, it makes me depressed at the same time. I have never seen so much changed content, and only looking at this content makes me want the game so much more. I really hope that someone will leak this ROM, as someone did leak an hour footage on Youtube, but that is besides the point. Some say that there is no physical cartridge of this game anymore, but I sure hope that there is. If there is, God forbid something happens to this cartridge.

For those who know Conker's Bad Fur Day, the game originally started as so stated, "Another family plat former.". It was not meant to be a mature related game, but it turned out to be. I would say that this game actually had the bigger change than Dinosaur Planet, which actually does not concern me too much, as I have had no real interest in Conker. While I have played Conker, it feels more like a chore than anything actually fun. I will not lie, I love everything about the game except for the South Park content related scenes. This being said, I like the sounds, music, not necessarily voices. I also like the graphics such as most textures and models, though there are some questionable things too. The programming is pretty incredible for a Nintendo 64 title, and is one of the most complex games I have ever seen for such a system. Who knew all of that space could fit on a single cartridge?!

Speaking of cartridges, if I ever get my hands on a Nintendo 64 development kit, it would be cool to port LBA 1 to it, just like how it was ported to the Playstation 1. I think LBA 2 would be too much for such a system to handle. Although, with condensed microcode, it might be possible to fit such an amount of space of a CD on a cartridge.

Though there is much more I would like to say, I will leave this information as is. Tell me what all of you think. What was your favorite game for the Nintendo 64, or even Nintendo systems generally? What has spotted your interests? What do you want Nintendo to do for the future? Do you have any leaked ROMS? Whatever it is, I do not care, but it has to be related to the subject of Nintendo. While you can go a little off - topic, do not change the thread. Thanks.
Old 2015-02-13, 13:16
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Still got one somewhere.
Used to love most of Rares games. Nintendo seemed to release something groundbreaking then Rare would make something that (for me) improved on it the following year.
Loved Diddy Kong Racing. To this day I still want another racing game with an adventure mode.
Also Jet Force Gemini - bloody hard in places, but it crammed so much in with some great quirky humour.
Donkey Kong 64 - That rap.
Banjoi Kooie - Quirky humour, diverse levels, great game.
Golden Eye / Perfect Dark - obligatory, but still excellent. Love the far-sight gun concept.

Still gotta play Banjo Tooie sometime.

Quote:
When I was younger, I liked Starfox Adventures very much. Looking back on this whole situation, I would have to disagree. Several elements were changed through the conversion from Dinosaur to Starfox, and about 2 / 3 of the game was completely changed. Some elements did not even exist in the final version which were going to be in Dinosaur, which created several plot holes in Starfox Adventures. Heck, you do not even get to beat the boss that was originally intended. If you ask me, I would say that Starfox Adventures is a dirty joke, which is why it is so different from it's predecessors. People both like, and dislike Starfox Adventures, the same with Dinosaur Planet. Though I think Dinosaur Planet would have been better as it's own IP.
It would have been better with its own IP, but I dont think the gameplay would have changed that much.
Given how early it was in development I suspect if there was a leaked Rom it would just be some of the same levels with different character models.

Aside from a few handheld games, Star Fox Adventures was the last game Rare made for a Nintendo system, and quite a few people had already left the company buy that point. I think the dip in quality mostly came because some of the skill went with them.

Tags
game, low, nintendo, polygon, system