Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > Fan Creations > Fan Games
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Fan Games A forum for discussion of any demos and fan games being made. Not for discussion of Modifications.

Old 2017-06-09, 13:26
Mosquisushi tuba

Its looks SUPER COOL!!!
Old 2017-06-09, 13:39
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

rahh! The shadows...again...I will work on that...again...
(If there is a problem, can you tell me what's if the "log.txt")
Old 2017-06-09, 18:17
Magic Ball Master

That was fast. Downloading now...

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2017-06-09, 18:58
Magic Ball Master

Great first impressions about the game. Very smooth, nice gameplay like the original, with great custom touch.

From what you've done, you can actually re-create more custom stuffs without the need of LBA resources and create your own adventure game.

I will keep playing, thanks for sharing.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.

Old 2017-06-09, 20:58
Amnesti

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurKakis View Post
rahh! The shadows...again...I will work on that...again...
(If there is a problem, can you tell me what's if the "log.txt")
If you're mentioning the post i made earlier, i removed it because the shadows randomly started working again. So right now im playing with high quality shadows.

EDIT: I got shadow problems again. It seems like enabling any anti-aliasing bugs the shadows. If i turn the shadows off, i can use anti aliasing. Altering the shadow quality doesn't seem to change anything though, they all have the same bugged apperance. My log.txt is empty.
last place LBA ANY% 52:59
https://www.twitch.tv/amnesti

Citadel Island in Unity
https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=17983

Last edited by MevX; 2017-06-09 at 21:11.
Old 2017-06-09, 22:45
Magic Level: Fire Ball

I just finished playing it. Really great job, nice story and pleasant graphic. I also really like how you solved interior camera. Only thing I can complain about is aiming from gun :P But this is some small issue.
Old 2017-06-10, 02:02

About aiming with the gun, I know it's a bit frustrating...Maybe it's because the shooting animation doesn't align well with the bullets. But you can 'lock' an ennemy with the middle button to get a better aiming.
Old 2017-06-10, 10:11
Magic Ball Master

Haven't finished the game yet, still to find the gun.
Tried to play with the controls and it works pretty well, pleasant experience.
Like Angelus said, I also like the interior camera.

Some questions about the engine if you dont mind to share.
How long did the project took you?
Did you made all the 3d models? which tool you use?
Have you done your own Scene Editor? Or you use somethink like blender for it?
What about the scripting? Anythping special on this front?!

Old 2017-06-10, 11:04

About the 3d models, the characters and animations are from lba1. The maps were made with Maya (with some additional custom tools).
About scripting, the game have it's own basic script command. (you can have a look at some scripts in the *.ini files in the ./map/ directory)
It's difficult to say how much time it took me...I started to make a converter for the lba1 models a year ago, but I took many pauses...I think something like 5 or 6 month in total.
Old 2017-06-10, 11:35
Magic Ball Master

Its a pretty good lenght for what you achieved, well done.
Great, I will have a look at the scripts.

Old 2017-06-10, 15:21
Amnesti

Just played the game. And i have to say you did a great job on it! I especially like the enviroments, and the visuals of it. I also like the challenging aspects, not only when you're finding clues on where to go next, but also when you're trying to defeat enemies in some certain parts. It reminds me of LBA 1, which i guess is the point of the project as a whole. x)

I had some smaller issues with the gameplay. I felt like the control system was awkward at times, and i'd much rather have it be completely like LBA 1. I'd like to be able to turn around in the direction i choose, with the A and D keys, while running with the W key. I would much prefer that instead of running in four different directions with all the keys. But that could be up to personal preference.

Then there is the issue i've already talked about, which is the shadow incompatibility with Anti Aliasing. That one didn't really bother me that much though. No Anti Aliasing just reminds me of the original game, and that's how i much prefer it. I also found a "strat" that involves cancelling the animation of your ball/machine gun. You basically right click after you've made your first throw/burst, and you can basically spam the weapon much faster! For people who have problems with certain parts of the game, this may be of great use.

All and all i very much enjoyed the playthrough. The ending was a bit abrupt, and i would have liked to play more. But it is a fan game after all, and for being a fan game it's certainly impressive.

Citadel Island in Unity
Old 2017-06-10, 22:34
FreemanQC

Send a message via MSN to gravel22
I'll try to stream my playthrough tomorrow.
Little Big Adventure Former World Record Holder (53:40:80) see on Twitch below

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Old 2017-06-11, 18:05

Ok.
First of all I've registered just to comment on this thread.

I think this project is amazing. I've firstly watched youtube videos and was shocked.
If LBA3 was ever created, this is how I'd like it to look in terms of graphic and design. Ofc, some more complex models would look nicer, but this is sufficient.

I really appreciate, that you work on this. It's soo cool. It brings back all the best memories.

I've played it for like 30 minutes, didn't manage to finish yet.

There's a lot of issues with the game tho. As I love the project, I hope you can use some of this feedback to improve the build.

1. Window issues
- App launches as windowed, and I can't manage to force it to go into fullscreen. Switching in options does not make window go fullscreen. If I change it to fullscreen tho I don't see mouse anywhere then. So it kinda acts like fullscreen, but it still runs in a small window.
- Even if I click out of window the game still runs and follows the controls. I even managed to restart the game and overwrite my save by accident, because I paused the game and then wrote something on chat. After pressing few buttons in proper order i launched new game on the old save.

I'm running win7x64

2. Settings
- IMO more options should be available while playing. I know things like shadows, resolution etc tends to be buggy, but music volume and fullscreen mode or even controlls could be accessable.

3. Controls
- They are not as intuitive, as I expected, not a bad thing, tho. You can get used to it after some time. But there's a major problem with how the run is being initialized. It takes too much time before the character actually starts running, it's frustrating to wait. Also aiming could be solved better. Maybe involve more mouse targetting? I know LBA had similiar system as this game does, but it somehow felt better there. Also, you can change the movement direction while in air, makes no sense. It also frustrates me how you can change the angle with mouse inside buildings. Allowing 90 degrees change makes not much sense. Either disable it or allow full 360 view.

4. Room design
- Some rooms tend to be designed in a way that will allow you character to get stuck for couple of seconds, until you get a proper angle and jump or something. I even managed to drop the key in the place I couldn't reach.

5. Enemies
- Sometimes when soldiers with turret attack you, you may get in a position where you can get stuck and do nothing till death. If you get too close to the enemy and you get hit this may cause you to lose all health. They can shoot faster than your animation resets, putting you in a dance of pain. Also they tend to block each other, and you can stack few enemies running after you and then still kill them one by one with a ball, easily.

Once again - I love this project, it's sooooo cool. I just hope it's gonna get better and better. I know this is early build, hopefully next ones will be much more polished!
Old 2017-06-11, 22:16

Thanks for all the feedback ! I've started a list with your comments and will work on an update soon.

About the controls I was thinking of adding an "original lba controls", to play like in the original games.

About the key falling between the to boxes : this was an issue I noticed during testing, but I thought it was a minor one (I'm lazy sometimes). I was hoping, nobody will notice...

About the jump : I also don't really like how you have to wait before a jump but I choose to keep the original animation. Since there is not many jumps involve in the game, I wonder if it's really important (tell me).

About the out of focus windows keeping the link with the controls : Wow ! I never thought about it...it will definitely be updated.

About the interior camera : I really didn't know how to solve that problem. Having a locked camera is not a problem if you play with an analog stick but with the keyboard, it makes aiming very difficult. Allowing the camera to go 360, can be an option, but the interiors will need to be build in a different manner (that will lose a little of lba spirit). So I don't know.

By the way, My main objective when making this, was not to have a perfect gameplay. I think as a fangame the most important is to fit to the original game spirit.

Thanks again all of you!
Old 2017-06-11, 23:23

About camera inside building I personally really like how you solve it and wouldn't change that. But I'm only one of many.
Old 2017-06-25, 16:24
Magic Ball Master

Looks like the game is no longer available for download, so I've added a mirror here: http://xesf.net/mbn/A_Little_Adventure.rar

@MonsieurKakis If you don't agree with the mirror let me know and I will remove.

Old 2017-06-25, 19:43

It's cool. I will not have to re-upload it, hehehe.
A new version is coming but since my holyday are over, it might take some time...
Old 2017-06-25, 20:10
Magic Ball Master

That's great, looking forward to it.
Let me know and I add the new one as well.

Old 2017-07-04, 09:18
Amnesti

Any update on current progress?

Citadel Island in Unity
Old 2017-07-05, 09:22
Polly parrot

I'm still stuck at the very first part, don't know how to get past the robot
Old 2017-07-05, 16:39

Beat it up
Old 2017-07-06, 23:44
Polly parrot

You... Can do that ? What with, I have no ball...
*checks game*
HOLY SITTING DUCK I HAVE A "fight" ON MY RIGHT CLICK
Old 2017-07-27, 18:14
Magic Level: Green Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
You... Can do that ? What with, I have no ball...
Sorry if I misunderstood you, but did you just said you have no balls to beat the robot?

Gotta play this game when I'll have a chance to get to my PC.
Old 2017-07-28, 00:32
Polly parrot

No magic ball
Old 2017-08-03, 17:34
Magic Level: Green Ball

Played the game yesterday.
Very, very nice.

It was not obvious enough that player have to beat up the robot, so I tried to swim around, I tried to jump over the fence etc.

I would change the movement system and let the player go left and right (A and D keys) instead of running in that direction.
I also don't like the delay than I press W(A,S,D) and before player actually start moving.