Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > The site and forum

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The site and forum Place your comments about the Magic Ball Network here. Talk here about the Magicball Network and the forum.

Old 2021-10-30, 17:41
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Lightbulb Forum software

Since LBA 3 is being developed, I think this should be the perfect time to give this forum a more modern forum software and a newer look.

Let's face it, the vBulletin 3.x used by this is from like 2009, which is ancient by IT standards. I think something like XenForo would be awesome, or even something free like phpBB or MyBB, which I understand why there used to be objections to back then, but they've come leaps and bounds since then.
Old 2021-11-01, 15:39
strange dreamer

To be honest I really like MBN the way it is.
It is quite nostalgic everytime I come here.

I don't like such changes.

Why bother with that for the half a dozen new posts every month that we get here?

I think people couldn't care less about it, honestly.
Old 2021-11-01, 15:46
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
Since LBA 3 is being developed
I think it's valid to consider such changes after the game is done; released; becomes a massive hit; massive flow of new members are discovering LBA series and wishing to engage and talk here - then, and only then, would be nice to update the whole thing to accomodate this new flow.
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2021-11-01, 16:09
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- SpaceGuitarist: I think the stagnation in terms of forum software and so on is precisely why the forum died. If I come here as a new user, my first impression is going to be that I've just joined a dead forum. The forum needs to be rejuvenated first before attracting new users, not waiting to first somehow magically attract new users.

Edit; And another reason to update the forum software is security. Who knows how many unpatched exploits this ancient version of vBulletin has.
Old 2021-11-01, 22:14
strange dreamer

Lightbulb

Quote:
not waiting to first somehow magically attract new users.
Well that "magic" is actually called LBA 3 ; it's definitely not called "new forum software".

I am part of other forums, including some car forums when I need mechanic advice and tuning tricks; I don't really judge them by their software (never even thought about it!), I value two things: whether the posts are recent and whether people will reply fast to a new topic with relevant answers. Ie: the life of the forum is what makes it alive. I don't think MBN is dead because of old software, its dead because people have nothing to talk about, got their own lifes, everything's already been said about Lba 1 and 2, etc. Once LBA3 rises into popularity I am sure people will join from the world over to talk about THE GAME, the story, cheats, walkthroughs and so on and are not going to wonder "why this forum looks outdated". Perhaps you see it this way because you are a programmer and you had your own forums in the past. But most common people don't, trust me.

Oh and most people use this thing on their smartphones via apps like tapatalk so they're not even seeing "old vbulletin graphics", they're seeing the app's interface.

A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2021-11-02, 01:45
Welcome to Zirla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist
Oh and most people use this thing on their smartphones via apps like tapatalk so they're not even seeing "old vbulletin graphics", they're seeing the app's interface.
Having to use stuff like TapaTalk is itself inconvenient and outdated, when even on my forum I can just connect to it from any Android browser just fine. Noone is going to bother installing an entirely new app just to use this forum.

Quote:
Well that "magic" is actually called LBA 3 ; it's definitely not called "new forum software".

I am part of other forums, including some car forums when I need mechanic advice and tuning tricks; I don't really judge them by their software (never even thought about it!), I value two things: whether the posts are recent and whether people will reply fast to a new topic with relevant answers. Ie: the life of the forum is what makes it alive. I don't think MBN is dead because of old software, its dead because people have nothing to talk about, got their own lifes, everything's already been said about Lba 1 and 2, etc. Once LBA3 rises into popularity I am sure people will join from the world over to talk about THE GAME, the story, cheats, walkthroughs and so on and are not going to wonder "why this forum looks outdated". Perhaps you see it this way because you are a programmer and you had your own forums in the past. But most common people don't, trust me.
Those are some very good point, but consider this - this forum is never going to be in a vacuum, as someone can easily make a Facebook page that's much more conveniently accessible. Yeah, it also requires an app on a phone, but it's its own app rather than a third party man in the middle, and Facebook is something most people already use as well.

But since words are not enough, let's solve the problem the capitalist way - with healthy forum competition. I'm going to be setting up a website anyway for my LBA modding tools, so why not also give it a forum.
Old 2021-11-02, 04:10
strange dreamer

Quote:
Having to use stuff like TapaTalk is itself inconvenient and outdated, when even on my forum I can just connect to it from any Android browser just fine. Noone is going to bother installing an entirely new app just to use this forum.

Those are some very good point, but consider this - this forum is never going to be in a vacuum, as someone can easily make a Facebook page that's much more conveniently accessible. Yeah, it also requires an app on a phone, but it's its own app rather than a third party man in the middle, and Facebook is something most people already use as well.

But since words are not enough, let's solve the problem the capitalist way - with healthy forum competition. I'm going to be setting up a website anyway for my LBA modding tools, so why not also give it a forum.
Well, you are right! The facebook group is indeed a lot more active and has gained lots of interest in a short time --> https://www.facebook.com/groups/twin...4971406223461/

I mean, even Didier, Vachey and Raynal post/comment/react there.
Quote:
Old 2021-11-02, 11:10
Welcome to Zirla!

And here's the thing - the forum software is not the only problem with this forum, but at least, if that was finally upgraded, the staff would show they actually care, and there would then be hope that the other problems get addressed as well.
Old 2021-11-03, 12:54
Neko

i am all for it, but it is el's server and decision. maybe contact him via pm about it?
Old 2021-11-05, 13:48
LBA fan

I thing what we have now is fine. People barely use forums anyway, it's a dead format.
Old 2021-11-16, 13:25
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medur View Post
I thing what we have now is fine. People barely use forums anyway, it's a dead format.
While this is true, it's saddening. I like the forum format. It makes people think before posting stuff.
Old 2021-11-16, 14:58
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
Every time I come back here and I find myself constricted by this old interface, I'm reminded of that special time in my life, when things were simpler and I was non-stop logged on this board from my mom's bedroom, using a CRT monitor to be honest, I wouldn't wanna have the forums modernized, as I feel this is one of the few remaining things out there where I can go back in time. All other platforms are spacecrafts already, constantly updating themselves every few months, but the look & feel of the MBN forum has a special place in my heart and I'd like to preserve it for as much as possible
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2021-11-16, 22:55
Previously Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetch View Post
Every time I come back here and I find myself constricted by this old interface, I'm reminded of that special time in my life, when things were simpler and I was non-stop logged on this board from my mom's bedroom, using a CRT monitor to be honest, I wouldn't wanna have the forums modernized, as I feel this is one of the few remaining things out there where I can go back in time. All other platforms are spacecrafts already, constantly updating themselves every few months, but the look & feel of the MBN forum has a special place in my heart and I'd like to preserve it for as much as possible
I have a similar feeling.
Old 2021-11-17, 16:23
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quetch View Post
every time i come back here and i find myself constricted by this old interface, i'm reminded of that special time in my life, when things were simpler and i was non-stop logged on this board from my mom's bedroom, using a crt monitor to be honest, i wouldn't wanna have the forums modernized, as i feel this is one of the few remaining things out there where i can go back in time. All other platforms are spacecrafts already, constantly updating themselves every few months, but the look & feel of the mbn forum has a special place in my heart and i'd like to preserve it for as much as possible :d
THIS
lowercaselettersjustsoIcanpostinallcapital
Old 2021-11-17, 17:56
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Btw, talking about forum software, to search new messages, I go to "New Posts" on top of the page.
But from there, I click on "Last Post" usually.
Is there a way to go to the first new post in a thread instead of the last one?
If not, I would appreciate the feature and I don't think it's breaking the forum style haha
Old 2021-11-17, 18:09
Welcome to Zirla!

Then, perhaps, it would be the best idea to turn this forum into a read-only archive and start a new forum.

We need a forum that can look into the future, rather than staying stuck into the past. Also, not everyone looks at this forum's past with nostalgia. Some of us used to be complete twats in the past and would love to see the past finally go and have a proper LBA community where we can truly get another chance.

Edit: And I also can't properly access this forum on my phone. And no, I'm not going to install Tapatalk for a single forum.
Old 2021-11-19, 14:28
strange dreamer

Quote:
Then, perhaps, it would be the best idea to turn this forum into a read-only archive and start a new forum.

We need a forum that can look into the future, rather than staying stuck into the past. Also, not everyone looks at this forum's past with nostalgia. Some of us used to be complete twats in the past and would love to see the past finally go and have a proper LBA community where we can truly get another chance.

Edit: And I also can't properly access this forum on my phone. And no, I'm not going to install Tapatalk for a single forum.
Eh. You seem pretty obsessed about either having your own forums (I recall multiple attempts to create 'your own mbn' in the past, trying to drag members from here to there, all of which had failed, lol) and/or transforming mbn into something new.

And that part about "being complete twats in the past" and getting their slates clean, sounds very much like you're talking about yourself, lol.

I, for one, don't want to "see the past finally go".
Lots of cherishable memories here, along with art, knowledge and friendship.

I think it's clear from everyone's answers here that everyone is happy as is.
New people don't seem to be bothered either, and I don't even see an influx of new people.

LBAs are OLD games, and so it makes perfect sense to be filled with nostalgia, and the forums accompany those feelings.

If you want to make a new forum so much, how about making one about LBA 3 specifically to cater to the "new" audience?
It might be your big chance.
Quote:

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2021-11-19 at 14:51.
Old 2021-11-19, 23:57
Neko

eh if you aren't banned consider yourself having a clean slate