Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > Fan Creations > Fan Music

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Fan Music The place for all your music creations

Old 2004-11-30, 00:10
Gobbles the bush turkey

Smile How do you make good music?

Hello everyone, my friend and i are making a computer game and we both have all the jobs covered for it like concept art, animation, graphics, 3d modeling, cutscenes, sounds and nearly all you can think of except for composing the music. My friend and i know very little in this area, so i am asking you guys; how do you make good music? I intend to have Command & Conquer style music because it is a war game, so it would suit it well. Any help? i am sure there are guides on how to come up with good scores for music on the internet so do guys know of any?
Thanks for your help.
Old 2004-11-30, 00:21
Still in a dream...

Define good music.
There is no set way to make music. Use your imagination, let that be your guide, as cliched as it may sound...
Old 2004-11-30, 00:27
Gobbles the bush turkey

I mean how do you establish a nice tune? doing that is the hardest part for me. Whenever i try to think of one, some other tune pops into my head that allready exists.
Old 2004-11-30, 00:37
Still in a dream...

Try get a beat first. Then think of a basic tune. Add more to it. Don't overdo it.

Infact, ask CS2x, he's the master.
Old 2004-11-30, 00:55
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandy
Infact, ask CS2x, he's the master.
Indeed, as far as this forum goes CS2x is your best bet for tips.
Old 2004-11-30, 01:26
Refrão* (ligar overdrive)

Hey, but CS2x is not the kind of guy that do gamish music right?
----

Well, you should ask a musician for it

"thats why we/they exist"

Seriously, hm, i cant help you much into that cos i have learned by myself in a long time and msot programs i started with and still use contain no help at all or minimum help.

But you may find something, depending on what quality you need: midi or 'normal' music?

if midi, i think that stuff like cakewalk will do (althought i never used it! )

if 'normal', well, thats far more complicated. Forget it
Get a musical keyboard and a program to record it, and start like that (althought i never used a musical keyboard and havent done any of these tips im giving to you, but anyway, good luck )
Old 2004-11-30, 02:01
Gobbles the bush turkey

Well i did have a friend that played the keyboard and the violine pretty good. But he didn't really want to make the music for the game, and i think that if you are going to make something, you need to want do it, to do it well. So now we need someone or someway to make the music. I do want real audio music for the game. What programs would be good for audio music? i once tried using Acid or something, and it was quite easy to use. But i am not going to go out and pay for a proffessional musicion for a freeware game. Maybe if one of you guys will volunteer, it would be much appreciated, although i would rather work on the game with local people i know, rather than ones that live on the other side of the world, to avoid many problems.
Isn't it possible to get the song right on a midi and then convert all of the notes to audio on another prgram?
Old 2004-11-30, 02:19

You can convert midi to normal realistic instruments, yes, but generally that is pretty hard cos the samples i got dont go well in some notes in very low octaves (2, 3) and most midi intruments (liek a bass) use these octaves to get the proper bass sound... And to fix that i would have to reconvert all the notes in a higher octave, and that would be pretty boring.

You can start using trackers. For example, check some old threads here, the ones of Alchemist. He uses Mad Tracker. If you like his songs, you can use that program to make such things and i think that with that program you can also edit midis to samples.
---

In case you are confused with all this i said, just ask for any song you like that all MBN musicians (me, Neko, CS2x, alchemist(even if not much active nowadays), ellimac, ricochet (i think), Evil-Twinsen, SDX (im not sure also) and lots of others) done and may do and ask if you can use.
---
sure, yeah id volunteer but im not sure if you like my music
Old 2004-11-30, 02:35
Gobbles the bush turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarKid
sure, yeah id volunteer but im not sure if you like my music
Didn't you make the musc for that MBN LBA game?
Well, i thought it was very good. But i doubt it would work for a war game. Do you have any war like music?
I'm actually thinking of having music composed of backround sounds and some instruments, sort of like in Worms 2 & worms armageddon. The music in those games don't really have a consistent beat, but rather random backround noises like wind and animal noises which sound original and reflect the mood and the environment of the game, except for the menu music.

Can i send you an email with a music file attached so you know what i am looking for?
Old 2004-11-30, 15:53

Sure! you might aswell send it to my other email [email address]

I didnt make all the sundtracks of MBN and LBA! lol, those were songs of popular artists, i just made some of it.
--

Worms2 soundtrack? Yeah i got the game ill check it out then and ill see if i can do it.
--
I can make war games soundtracks yes, i think thats the easier game genre to make soundtracks for.

Do you want someting like warcraft 1 soundtrack? except that its not midi?

--
Another suggestion, if your game is freeware only, you might 'steal' songs that you want to use, just like i did in MBN and LBA!

but hey, this is just between you and me
Old 2004-11-30, 21:57
Gobbles the bush turkey

Well... you see, my friend and i are really going to work hard on this game, probably may get it done through the next 6 week school holidays where i will work flat out on the game. And i may be able to sell it commercially but i'm not 100% sure.

Oh and i sent you the email.
Old 2004-12-02, 23:21

Ok i heard the song, thx.

Yeah i could do that, wouldbe my second "real" project to work on (my first was for Links game, lba 1.5, but was midi).

1-You want more rock or more like the intro, more war/gamish?

2-can there be vocals?

3-would be better to compose inspired by a beta or a screenshot to have the feeling of the game
Old 2004-12-03, 07:05
Gobbles the bush turkey

The music is not urgent. My friend and i are planning on making the first beta in the next few weeks. It is only the level where your ship thingy lands in the cove of an island which is guarded by 3 bunkers filled with machine gunners. It may be the hardest part to do because it has turrets shooting, ships docking, enemy soldiers that need AI, Friendly soldiers that need AI, accurate aming, soldier movement, graphic animation etc... Which would be most of the game done. It is top view and not 3d, but most of the games content will be pre-rendered high quality graphics. The script is still in the making, but we have a very rough concept of it at the moment. It is very basic now, but it is a little similar to LBA's story, with the ancient prophecy and the enemy that is experimenting with weopons etc... i think it needs alot of work, but we are really doing the graphics and programing now.
questions:
1. I liked the combination of both, but i liked the rock part more.
2.No vocals.
3.As i already said.
Thanks for your contribution.
Old 2004-12-03, 16:24

how u making the gmae btw? Viusalbasic?
Old 2004-12-03, 23:43
Gobbles the bush turkey

Multimedia Fusion. Ive been using it since i was 9 years old.
Old 2004-12-08, 04:27

hm, just like to add a note: i wont make a song for the game, ill compose my usual stuff and post and if you like, you can probably use it. kthxbye.
Old 2004-12-21, 09:44
Twinsunian Artist

Send a message via ICQ to scorpionxx Send a message via AIM to scorpionxx Send a message via Yahoo to scorpionxx
Get music lessons for some years, practise a lot and buy either cubase sx or logic platinum. Get composin', listen a lot of different styles of music. That's about it.

Ow and of course visit www.frankklepacki.com a lot hehe

~Jonathan
www.musicbyjonathan.com

Last edited by scorpionxx; 2004-12-21 at 09:49.
Old 2004-12-21, 14:59
inharmonic explorer

It's a bit difficult to get some instructions and then be able to make music. Pandy was right when he said there's no set way, or instructions, you can really follow. I mean, I do read articles sometimes on how to perfect production, and I was classical trained, but at the end of the day it was a long process of discovery (of an ability I always had) and something that I could just "do", not something that I was tought. Mind you, it's different for everyone I guess.
Old 2004-12-22, 01:07
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Remember that music in games should not take any attentions.....

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2004-12-22, 01:17
What is this place?

Send a message via ICQ to Atresica Send a message via AIM to Atresica Send a message via MSN to Atresica
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAWinOwns
Remember that music in games should not take any attentions.....
I disagree, the best OST's are the ones giving you the perfect feeling of the scene. Perhaps not too dominant, but totaly ignorable music is worse.
Old 2004-12-22, 21:32
Twinsunian Artist

Send a message via ICQ to scorpionxx Send a message via AIM to scorpionxx Send a message via Yahoo to scorpionxx
I disagree on both prev. posts. Game music should fit and this can either be dominant (c&c) or on the background (deus ex, half life). In either way: it should make a perfect blend. Making good music and getting the feeling for scoring is LONG process. As a matter of fact: it never ends (that process). Prepare for a long journey I'd say!
Old 2004-12-23, 17:48
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atresica
I disagree, the best OST's are the ones giving you the perfect feeling of the scene. Perhaps not too dominant, but totaly ignorable music is worse.
I think that kind of music fits games like LBA while the lowattended should be in some strategic games.

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2004-12-23, 22:10
Twinsunian Artist

it just depends on the type of game. Good music fits perfectly and doesn't force the player to turn his volume down or to mute the music. if you're looking for info on game music buy the 'Complete guide to Game Audio' by Aaron Marks (CMP) or check out www.gamasutra.com for articles related to this topic
Old 2005-04-04, 16:17
Gobbles the bush turkey

Ive been listening to frank klepacki's music (CnC composer) and i love it. I really want to use it for my game, but if i distribute it on the internet or was able to have it included as a freeware game on a pc game magazine, wouldn't it be eligal? and i would most likely be sewed or be forced to have the game stripped of all of it's music? I thoguht that it was legal as long as it was free, but aren't i distributing something that's creator could be selling for himself and thus, it would be stealing? But then again, he does have the music on his website to listen to for free. Maybe i could ask permission?
*note*
Sorry for reviving an old thread, it's just that i have nearly finished one of my games and the rights about the music that ive ripped from CnC and RA to use for it has been bugging me alot.
Old 2005-04-04, 20:54
Twinsunian Artist

hmm well the music of command and conquer is no longer frank's property so yes you can get sued. He's trying to buy the rights for more than three years now but they won't let him. If you use the music you may get EA on your head.

What's the stuff you want to use it for? Frank has some cool solo albums with cnc like music. If you're doing something cool he might lend you a track (possibility). I could ask it for ya ...