Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2013-01-25, 01:35
You Only Live Twice

Send a message via AIM to Twinsan Send a message via MSN to Twinsan
FunFrock is Dark Monk, an alternative theory on FunFrock's origins

This is probally crazy as hell but bear with me. I believe FunFrock could be Dark Monk for real for a few good reasons.

We know FunFrock has a vast amount of knowledge, especially in the fact he knew sendell's power with the sterlar entity would make him a god and to quote him "it will make me a god in flesh as well as in name!", how could he have known this when knowledge of sendell was so limited and to add to this how did he know of zelich? Was he secretly plotting to become a god again rather thna an outcast? If he retined some of hi powers he could have given himself the quetch like appearance to fool people.

It's mentioned dark monk was cast out of the god's and likely he was made much of a lesser god or even a mortal and he was deformed and lets face it for being a quetch FunFrock is pretty deformed and he looked the part enough to fool the zelichians into beleieving him to be dark monk, meaning they had a good idea whta dakr monk looked liked, someone of FunFrocks build possible but thats pretty much theorymon.

FunFrock also had a highly unushall intelligence, able to clone and teleport with a flick of his fingers, maybe this comes from prior knowledge of being a god?

But most importantly of all, twinsen forfilled the prophecy of Zelich, which states dark monk had to be defeated in order to restore zelich and while they are many debates on this, could it not be Twinsen defeated Dark Monk in the form of FunFrock?

I know many of you will laugh at this, but lets embrace the possibility our favourite dictator i more than he appears.
Old 2013-01-25, 15:04
Magic Ball Master

Wait, so you're saying that Funfrock was Dark Monk...isn't that obvious to everyone when he pulls off the hood?

Or you're saying that Funfrock was Dark Monk in the sense that he came from Zeelich and in fact was a real deity posing as the evil doctor?

Or that Funfrock wasn't Funfrock at all, but Dark Monk, who then created a clone of his, which was Funfrock, to do his evil bidding?

It's an interesting theory, but I think it needlessly complicates the LBA story. Dark Monk was simply a vehicle for Funfrock's megalomania. It enabled him to control an entire planet and exact revenge on Twinsen through his minions. It would likely have been impossible for him to regain his power on Twinsun, so Zeelich was the next best thing.

What it does speak to, in my mind, is Funfrock's nature as a charismatic, persuasive figure. This lends credence to his intelligence (i.e. a real doctor) yet belies his appearance which is decidedly more of the bungling villain variety.
Old 2013-01-25, 17:00
You Only Live Twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
Wait, so you're saying that Funfrock was Dark Monk...isn't that obvious to everyone when he pulls off the hood?

Or you're saying that Funfrock was Dark Monk in the sense that he came from Zeelich and in fact was a real deity posing as the evil doctor?

Or that Funfrock wasn't Funfrock at all, but Dark Monk, who then created a clone of his, which was Funfrock, to do his evil bidding?

It's an interesting theory, but I think it needlessly complicates the LBA story. Dark Monk was simply a vehicle for Funfrock's megalomania. It enabled him to control an entire planet and exact revenge on Twinsen through his minions. It would likely have been impossible for him to regain his power on Twinsun, so Zeelich was the next best thing.

What it does speak to, in my mind, is Funfrock's nature as a charismatic, persuasive figure. This lends credence to his intelligence (i.e. a real doctor) yet belies his appearance which is decidedly more of the bungling villain variety.
A mix of thing's I am saying FunFrock is dark monk and that he lost his god hood when he was bannished to become a sort of a demi god mortal. The result was he knew about the stellar enity from within twinsen and wnated it to become a god again and disguised himself as the quetch FunFrock, but his deformity still showed through as a quetch. He knew about Zelich as well he was dark monk and then went back after to fool the zelicians to doing his bidding in order to gain his god hood back, but they did not recoginie him as a quetch and there was no need to admit to being dark monk as it this point he had believed he had already won.

Which was why Zelich was restored when he was killed.
Old 2013-01-25, 17:02
Magic Ball Master

So who banished him and turned him into a demi-god?
Old 2013-01-25, 17:08
You Only Live Twice

Quote:
It was mentioned in the zelician prophecy the other gods banished him
Old 2013-01-25, 17:19
Mathemagician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsan View Post
We know FunFrock has a vast amount of knowledge, especially in the fact he knew sendell's power with the sterlar entity would make him a god and to quote him "it will make me a god in flesh as well as in name!", how could he have known this when knowledge of sendell was so limited and to add to this how did he know of zelich?
For knowledge of Sendell- who do you think decided to hush that up? Clearly done so the resistance et al coudln't tell what he was really up to, and thus concentrate on fighting clones and other (as far as Funfrock is concerned) irrelevant activities. As for how he knows about Zeelich- well Twinsun does have telescopes so finding it is no big problem. As for getting there- more technology he's kept from Twinsun, like the teleports.

This may well be an analogue to the way totalitarian states tend to restrict and twist education to their own ends.

Quote:
Was he secretly plotting to become a god again rather thna an outcast? If he retined some of hi powers he could have given himself the quetch like appearance to fool people.

It's mentioned dark monk was cast out of the god's and likely he was made much of a lesser god or even a mortal and he was deformed and lets face it for being a quetch FunFrock is pretty deformed and he looked the part enough to fool the zelichians into beleieving him to be dark monk, meaning they had a good idea whta dakr monk looked liked, someone of FunFrocks build possible but thats pretty much theorymon.
The deformity I'd argue is an art style thing. Nothing more. When you look at other works with the sort of "cartoony" art style of LBA, villains are deformed. It's simply par the for the course. Ugly looks, especially if they make the villain look physically imposing, are a tried and tested way of enhancing villains. I'm thus not sure there is any need or reason to read anything into this.

Quote:
FunFrock also had a highly unushall intelligence, able to clone and teleport with a flick of his fingers, maybe this comes from prior knowledge of being a god?
Alternatively we can add the "remote control" to his list of inventions. He's part mad scientist, they invent things.

Having said that, this does bring up Clarks law "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"- really that's a law regarding how the two are used in story telling, (and if you look at how magic is used in fantasy and how soft sci fi uses technology you'll see the similarities). I'd argue that as Funfrock is established plainly as a scientist, there feats are technological rather than magical.

Quote:
But most importantly of all, twinsen forfilled the prophecy of Zelich, which states dark monk had to be defeated in order to restore zelich and while they are many debates on this, could it not be Twinsen defeated Dark Monk in the form of FunFrock?
Are we sure the restoration of Zeelich has nothing to do with the previously established god-level entity hanging around that scene- i.e. Sendell?
Old 2013-01-25, 23:28
this's longer than allowe

Quote:
Old 2013-01-25, 23:30
You Only Live Twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carajo View Post
already answered, Dark monk was stated to be banished in the prophecy in the temple on IotC.
Old 2013-01-25, 23:37

Quote:
already answered, Dark monk was stated to be banished in the prophecy in the temple on IotC.
Old 2013-01-25, 23:43
You Only Live Twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carajo View Post
hmmm? i don't get it
Old 2013-01-26, 00:00
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
can't believe i'm joining in on this...

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the fact that zeelich becomes beautiful after funfrock dies pretty weird? i mean why should that happen? unless funfrock was literally dark monk. (not saying that twinsan's theory is right yet, just wondering)
Old 2013-01-26, 00:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin View Post

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the fact that zeelich becomes beautiful after funfrock dies pretty weird? i mean why should that happen? unless funfrock was literally dark monk. (not saying that twinsan's theory is right yet, just wondering)
One is never too old to engage in juvenile conspiracy theories conversations.
Old 2013-01-26, 00:11
You Only Live Twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin View Post

Well yes thats true. "and when the stranger come, he alone capible of uniting the 4 fragments.

This is the phrophecy, i did a quick run through the game to get it.

In the beginning, the 2 mother planets, Zeer (the sun) and Lich (the cold) met one another during the Oogh: the great cataclysm. From this Zeelich was born. Life appeared and the brotherhood of the Gods sent there the youngest son of the light, who was called Kard N'kom. Alas, some deleterious fumes emanating from the Great Sulfur Mine disfigured him. His horribly mutilated face escaped the Gods, and it was decided that Kard N'kom would have to forever hide his face and never again appear in front of the noble assembly. Condemned to roam the cosmos forever, Kard N'kom saw his Name erased from the divine law. He who wanders without a face became then known as Dark Monk... Zeelich was populated with 4 different races, condemned by the Gods to fight each other forever. But, life being stronger, the divine brotherhood hurled Zeelich into the first sun of the Novae system. This shock created the planet such as we know it: a blanket of clouds isolating the rocky summits from the melting ground.

Then Dark Monk came back and announced the latest verdict from the Gods. The races were to fraternize and share the task of returning Zeelich to its former beauty. He unveiled a great wonder: from the deadly cloud, hideous monsters were born and threatened to invade the planet. But, thanks to his Key, Dark Monk also gave rise to a volcano which erupted and sculpted in basalt a gigantic statue in his image, holding the Stone Book of the 10,000 Names. At each ceremony, lightning would henceforth inscribe once more the Name of God, Dark Monk. Before disappearing, Dark Monk broke his Key into 4 pieces and thus revealed the Great Prophecy. On the day when the 10,000th Name of God is engraved the reunion of the 4 fragments of the Key will make the monsters and the gas disappear, and will give back to Zeelich the heavenly appearance of its origin. Life will then be reborn as it was in the time of Eden.

... and when the stranger appears, alone capable of reuniting the four keys, Dark Monk will oppose... ...in the ultimate celebration the monsters and the gas will disappear... in forgetfulness Dark Monk will go... ... and life will Zeelich regain...
Old 2013-01-26, 00:49
Polly parrot

Why do you want FF to be a vilain ? I go even further, that FF's only wish was to make Zeelich beautiful again. So he searched the whole galaxy to find someone who could defeat him.
Old 2013-01-26, 00:52
You Only Live Twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Why do you want FF to be a vilain ? I go even further, that FF's only wish was to make Zeelich beautiful again. So he searched the whole galaxy to find someone who could defeat him.
Then why his actions in the first game?
Old 2013-01-26, 00:59
Polly parrot

His plan to make Twinsen mad at him. To be sure Twinsen will follow him to Zeelich.

I see a loophole, why not starting with LBA2's plan right away... I'll reflect upon it, don't worry
Old 2013-01-26, 01:01
You Only Live Twice

Quote:
His plan to make Twinsen mad at him. To be sure Twinsen will follow him to Zeelich.

I see a loophole, why not starting with LBA2's plan right away... I'll reflect upon it, don't worry
This thread welcomes open idea's
Old 2013-01-26, 13:45
LBA2 Maestro

Quote:

I always had the idea he lured Twinsen to Zeelich, cuz FunFrock knows Twinsen is capable of collecting all the fragments to raise the statue. Twinsen doesn't know about the statue a.k.a. the antenna and tada his plan succeeds.

But I think FunFrock kind of forgot Twinsen is also capable of preventing these plans from happening and even defeating FunFrock.
Old 2013-01-26, 17:16
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtDemolition View Post
I always had the idea he lured Twinsen to Zeelich, cuz FunFrock knows Twinsen is capable of collecting all the fragments to raise the statue. Twinsen doesn't know about the statue a.k.a. the antenna and tada his plan succeeds.

But I think FunFrock kind of forgot Twinsen is also capable of preventing these plans from happening and even defeating FunFrock.
It's made pretty obvious during the game that since Twinsen landed on Zeelich Funfrock has done nothing but sending mercenaries out to kill him, the green monkey hitman thingy even says the reason he got hired is because Dark Monk is very afraid of Twinsen, so it's safe to assume that Twinsen reaching Zeelich wasn't part of his plan.
Old 2013-01-26, 18:38
LBA2 Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
It's made pretty obvious during the game that since Twinsen landed on Zeelich Funfrock has done nothing but sending mercenaries out to kill him, the green monkey hitman thingy even says the reason he got hired is because Dark Monk is very afraid of Twinsen, so it's safe to assume that Twinsen reaching Zeelich wasn't part of his plan.
Very good point, I forgot about that. I still wonder how he could raise the statue without Twinsen. And if he already knew the mercenaries wouldn't be capable of killing Twinsen.
Old 2013-01-26, 20:13
You Only Live Twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtDemolition View Post
Very good point, I forgot about that. I still wonder how he could raise the statue without Twinsen. And if he already knew the mercenaries wouldn't be capable of killing Twinsen.
Maybe it was his back up plan?
Old 2013-01-27, 18:22
LBA2 Maestro

Quote:
Maybe it was his back up plan?
Possible. It could also be his second plan, besides the destruction of Twinsun, to kill Twinsen.