Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2013-11-29, 00:26
weee

Spoiler:
They made too big of a deal about Joss dying. This right there might be the single one thing I detest most about American shows. Yes, I get it - the audience naturally cares more about main characters then secondary characters. But the worst thing you can do is make the show's characters care more about the main characters. It's just so wrong. It always disturbs me when extras die and nobody cares. Yes, they aren't important to the audience, but they should be important to other people in the show's universe just as much as the main characters are.

Lost was the worst in that aspect. In the start it wasn't like that. The losties made a big deal about a woman that drowned whom we haven't even seen. But in the later seasons it was just awful. The "red shirts" dropping like flies and nobody cares... it might be meant to be comical, but if that's the case they were doing it wrong. It just ruined Lost entirely.

You don't have to put the deaths of secondary character at the center of the stage, but you should show that in the show's universe they aren't lesser people.
Old 2013-11-29, 13:19
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Spoiler:

What secondary character you thinking of in PoI didn't get enough attention?
The last other character that died was her young partner wasn't it? The others didn't really know him. Or were you thinking of someone else?

Lost it was pretty much that one scene were they were coming out of the shack - I found it utterly hilarious, but certainly inappropriate. Its hard to be serious after you have a scene like that.
Old 2013-11-29, 14:52
weee

Spoiler:
There were plenty of dead people that didn't get attention. For example that female CEO that was killed in her bathtub in attempt in frame her boyfriend in murder. He was like, "oh crap they killed my girlfriend" and went on like it was no big deal... I'm pretty sure that if she was an important character to the show everyone would react a lot stronger.

After Simmons killed Joss he was on the cover page of every single paper in Manhattan. And also why was Ms. Shaw so upset he killed Joss? Isn't she supposed to be emotionally handicapped?

Another thing, why did Ms. Groves shoot all those marshals/russian mafia guys in the kneecaps? In the first time we met her she shot an innocent woman in the head just because she sat next to Benry and she wanted to take her sit.
Old 2013-11-30, 13:26
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Spoiler:
Well, Ms. Groves makes sense, as thats part of her development.
She's either getting a bit nicer because she see's thats a way to get on better with Harold OR the machine is telling her to be a bit nicer. Its fair to say if she stayed as kill happy as she was, thats only going to lead to them trusting her less and she wants them to trust her.
Or, at least, to be one big family with her Harold and the little electric baby.

Quote:
After Simmons killed Joss he was on the cover page of every single paper in Manhattan.
Well, a police-on-police murder surely is a bit more rare and thus a bigger deal?

This is America remember, shotting happen often enough (and their Press is bad enough) for it not to be newsworthy.

That said, your right about the CEO. The main characters not reacting makes sense - they are probably a bit desensitized. - but the boyfriend certainly should have.
Old 2013-12-05, 22:46
weee

The last South Park trilogy episodes (17x07-09) were ones of the best South Park episodes ever. I laughed every second, even though I never watched Game of Thrones or witnessed a Black Friday. Princess Kenny was the best.
Old 2013-12-27, 23:40
Classic

Doctor Who - "The Time of the Doctor" : Fun, but not as tight or as imaginative as "Day of the Doctor". As always though, its nice to have old plotholes/threads resolved.
Too bad it also introduced a new one.
Old 2013-12-30, 21:58
weee

"Nikita" now ended. It had its flaws but it was a good show. The last episode's name was "cancelled", hehe.
Old 2013-12-30, 22:22
Classic

Don't worry, there will be (yet) another remake of it in a few years
--
"Canceled" is a good last epp name indeed.

Not quite as good as Red Dwarf which has "The Beginning" as its last episode name and "The End" as its first. Not bad, considering there's 10 seasons between :P
Of course, the problem is they are now renewed.....speculation is there new last episode will be "The Middle".

Other good ones;

"All Good Things" - Star Trek TNG.

"Bad Timing" - Farscape (because they had almost zero notice. They were filming the last episode as they got the message, so they did some rapid re-edits).
Old 2014-01-24, 12:12
Classic

Just a heads up, there's a new series of "24" in May.
Now I quite like the show - and find it rather amusing that its accused of being both Left and Right wing at the same time.

But, really, enoughs enough now.
And, for the first time ever, the season has a title "Live Another Day"
Seriously. "Live Another Day"
How stupid is that.
Did they just go: "Whoa...it has "day" in the title! Perfect!"
Old 2014-11-04, 22:58
weee

Just watched the first episode of Scorpion - woah, that sure was pretty awesome. Definitely gonna keep watching, let's see if the awesome holds up.

What else I've been watching this year:
The Strain - Wonderful! I love this show. I def wouldn't have started watching it if I knew in advance what is the premise - Spoiler:
Nazi Vampires vs. The CDC
But I sure am glad I did.

The 100 - One of those "lesser shows" that are still great. More than just a group of teenagers trying to survive in a hostile environment. Oh and Desmond is there. Season 2 started now and so far I like it as well.

Intruders - Kinda like the second button in my suspension thread but more sinister. I liked it enough to keep watching and to look forward for the second season, but not enough to say I like it. It isn't as smart as it appears to be.

Falling Skies - Well, it's nice. And cool. And fun. Another good lesser show.

The Following - Fuck that's brutal. God. The first episode was horrifying, as was the rest of the series. Not in the gore sense, there's pretty much no gore, but in the disturbing sense. So evil and upsetting. Even the good guys are complete assholes. Was fascinating enough for me to watch all 30 episodes of it and to look forward for the third season.

Believe - I loved that show. Bastards cancelled it after the first season (13th episode), but I'd still recommend watching it. It's a nice contra to The Following, so I needed that. It's hard not to love the good guys here, especially Bo and Tate.

I also watched Breaking Bad - all episodes from all seasons. What a stupid waste of time!

Bron/Broen - A nice change of scenery. Love the sexy asperger cop lady. The atmosphere is so different from American shows.

Helix - Watched the whole season and decided I didn't like it. It's just too cold.

The Neighbors - Awesome "for the whole family" comedy. It's kinda like 3rd Rock From The Sun, but in reverse. 2 seasons of goodness. Surprisingly it gets even better once they decide to break the 4th wall.

Silicon Valley - Best comedy of the year, for sure. Pure delight. You gotta watch this one.

The Leftovers - Interesting. Also I thought it was too cold, but by now I'm not sure of it anymore. And they *purposely* ignore the one thing you really care about the entire season, which I get is part of the point, but it's reallly annoying. But it's still fascinating enough, and I am looking forward for season 2.

Under The Dome - Now there's a show! It's somewhere in between "a lesser show" and "a greater show"... and it's great. Very fun and great plot, and it has the old familiar Steven King vibe that we all love. A lot (all?) of the characters are assholes, but it still doesn't get in the way of it being a great show.

Also watched the second season of Orphan Black - and decided not to watch the third season. Enough of that... it's getting boring and pointless, I just lost interest in the plot and the characters and everything.

Continuing to watch Person of Interest - Still great. Very action-oriented, not much drama really, and I very much like the accurate computer science terms they use. Also Benry.

........whew...
I ...think... that about sums it up.

Last edited by ChaosFish; 2014-11-04 at 23:07.
Old 2014-11-04, 23:42
Neko

House of cards, definition of awesome and kevin spacey.

Suits, this is maybe the best series right now.

Gantz, really weird but keep watching it...
Old 2014-11-04, 23:45
Classic

I also enjoyed The Neighbors. Daft but pretty funny.

Gave up on Under The Doom though. Love the premise/set-up, but got a bit fed up with everyone except the kids being idiots. I could be wrong but I suspect (like The Dead Zone and Havan) it will suffer the "TV Steven King" problem of going on too long without the plot moving anywhere.

Person of Interest has gone from strength to strength. As you say, its accuracy is nice in a world of writers seemingly not knowing shit about PCs. I also appreciate how they slowly increased the sci-fi elements over time, making it a very consistent universe. Reminds me a little of Sarah Connor Chronicles too, with its various factions and story structure.

I enjoyed Orphan Black still. I wont denigh some aspects of the plot dont interest me at all, but to me the dark humor makes up for it.

I'll look into Silicon Valley, never heard of it before.
----
Anyway....

The Flash (s1e1-4) - omg I love this. Its the chessyest, most ridiculous live action thing on tv. You need huge suspension of disbelief in regardless of physics but its so darn fun. Maybe its just because I am so fed up with moopy superheroes. People that get magic powers and then are fucking miserable about it. Well sod them. This guy gets struck by magic dark mater lighting and falls into a bunch of chemicals and by the powers of comic book logic he gets superspeed. He fucking loves it. AS ANY NORMAL PERSON WOULD.
Hard to believe this is by the folks who make that Arrow series - one where there "hero" seems to kill 6 people each episode. This is a proper hero acting actually heroic. Saving people, not killing "bad guys" (the real worlds fucked up enough, sometimes I need idealism in my fiction).
That said, despite its crazy-shit it does have a rather intriguing ongoing plot. The last minute or so of every episode does paint a quite interesting spin on things. So while it is 90% dumb action scenes there is something else too it too, provided it goes somewhere with it.

Last Week Tonight With John Oliver - Its basically "The Weekly Show". Entertaining and depressing in equal measure. But America is depressing.

Gravity Falls - Still great fun. My favorite comedy cartoon now Futurama is gone. Think a kids version of the X-Files but funny.
Old 2014-11-05, 13:25
weee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
everyone except the kids being idiots.
Just like real life.

Quote:
Person of Interest has gone from strength to strength. As you say, its accuracy is nice in a world of writers seemingly not knowing shit about PCs. I also appreciate how they slowly increased the sci-fi elements over time, making it a very consistent universe. Reminds me a little of Sarah Connor Chronicles too, with its various factions and story structure.
There's a lot of similarities to the Terminator yes. Even Reese is basically the terminator.

Quote:
I'll look into Silicon Valley, never heard of it before.
Really? I don't know why I had it in my mind you were the one who told me about it in the first place.
Old 2014-11-05, 14:23
Classic

Nope not me.
Did I have a goaty at the time? In which case it was evil me from another universe.
Old 2015-01-24, 01:00
Classic

Person of Interest - yeah, still killing it. Two episodes in a row with a different structure and both managing to be gripping. I like it when shows switch perspective for an episode.
Old 2015-01-24, 02:31
Polly parrot

Oh yes, Without a trace also did that, usually we see FBI agents looking for persons gone missing, but for one episode we see what the missing boy's parents are going through.

Still watching Misfits, sad that they took out the best character after the end of the first season, but it is still interesting. Funny how they want to start from scratch at the end of each seasons and always come up with dumb reasons to justify that.
Man, if you want to just tell a different story with the same characters, just do it ! No need to justify yourself
Old 2015-01-24, 16:37
Classic

Quote:
Man, if you want to just tell a different story with the same characters, just do it ! No need to justify yourself
agreed.
Old 2015-04-14, 15:32
weee

Darkf - Being the author of The Fanfic Maker I do believe you must watch Childrens Hospital 6x04 ("Fan Fiction"). I think they used your tool to generate the script.

On another note, Silicon Valley season 2 has began!! Can't wait to watch it!
Old 2015-04-15, 01:50
Classic

I really should check that show out anyway.
--
Some new shows;

iZombie - S01E01 Pretty fun. Adapted from a comic and its certainly been made more generic for TV - I read the comic and it was a lot more quirky.
In the tv adoption its about a newly turned zombie that works in a morgue. She keeps her mental ability's as long as she eats brains occasionally....but in doing so takes on the personality traits and memory's of the deceased. (you can see how this fits tvs "murder of the week" formular).
Still, the characters are good and it side-steps a few troupes even in its first episode which is nice.

DareDevil S01E01-E02 - Broadcast TV is dead. Or dieing. And this is another nail in the coffin. High quality Netflix show based on the Marvel comic. Much,much more serious then their films or other shows - taking heavy inspiration from the earlier runs of the comic.
The cinematography is great, and the acting good. Stories are nothing amazing, but solid.
Its also important to note that while this is more serious and "realistic", its never needlessly "dark and gritty" - its merely the tone of the story and not forced in for the sake of it.
Recommended.
(Like all Netflix stuff, the whole season was released at once, but only seen the first two).

Also, worth noting, this is the first of 4 shows Netflix is making set in the Marvel film universe.

Community Season 6 - Still fun. Better then the last seasons so far. Bezirely, this is being paid for/produced by YAHOO.
Did I mention broadcast tv is dieing?

Still to watch POWERS (whats that? produced by Sony.....)
Old 2015-07-04, 22:25
weee

Wayward Pines - I did not have high expectations for this one, and I got blown away. woop woop. It's been a long while since I last watched such a good sci-fi/mystery tv show. They really know what they're doing, and they know how to get in your head. After watching the first 7 episodes I can safely recommend watching this show.
Old 2015-07-05, 01:15
Magic Ball Master

Thanks for the heads up. I will have a look on that series.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2015-07-05, 04:29
Classic

Guess I'll check it out.
---
A few new sci-fi shows poped up. Both pretty cheap, but I am a sucker for things set in space.

Dark Mater - Ridiculously cheesy title card, and a bunch of cliches chucked together...yet so far it kinda works for me. Bunch of people wake up on a spaceship with no memory, retaining the skills from their previous life but pretty much nothing else. Except there is a big cargo of guns in the hold and they dont know why.
Few episodes in and I like the stories so far - bits of humour and distinct personalities (even if they are all archtypes).

KillJoys - A bit more originality here although perhaps not pulling of the "bantar" and (I think) GotG like tone its going for. Editing/pacing issues a bit, but also very fun in places.
Has one of the people from Warehouse 13 sort of doing a Star-Lord esq role.
Basically about two bounty hunters.....in space. (but they have secrets in their past, because, of course they do)

--

Other then that the 3rd season of Defiance started. But thats not in space. But, hay, Aliens, lots of aliens. And politics. Alien politics. Close as we get to Babylon5 at the moment -sigh-.

Not much feels epic on TV these days which is why I find myself reading comics more and more.
Old 2015-09-29, 15:48
Classic

Heroes: Reborn: Episode 1: Awakening (because of cause its called that... )

Ok, to start with THANK GOD its not ignoring the end of the last season. It honest to goodness seems to want to move forward. Thank you.
That said, its Civil War.
Hello mutants! Hello Disaster! Hello Government Registration Act!
-sigh-
To be fair, it looks like thats more the background then the story itself. So its not quite redundant to people that have read a comic.
And, it does keep stuff interesting. There is a lot of elements in play and the "around the world intersecting lives" idea still works quite well (even if more recently Sense8 has done it better).
Also no one has acted that stupidly yet. Unless asking someone to kill you and then being upset that you kill them in self-defense later counts as stupid, which it probably does.

Minority Report Epp1;

Ok, that was a pleasant surprise
Loosely this show fits into the "prevent crimes" genre (like Person of Interest, or The Dead Zone for that mater). All the same template.

But this does it pretty well A lot of energy, set in a convincing yet imaginative 2040. And not repeating the film at at - its a sequel to the film, basically.
Looking forward to seeing more.

I did like the wrist-band flying drone camera one girl had, btw.....because thats a real thing that will be sold in a few years time. (a firm was showing them off at a trade show a few months back, they really work)
Old 2015-09-30, 00:55
weee

Heroes' new season started off nicely. Maybe we needed these five years break to get over how tiring the show has became and to be ready to resume watching it. The violence though, ugh. Also, yay, gruesome violence!
You should also watch episode 0 ("Dark Matter"). It's available in the form of 6 webisodes.
--

Oh did you guys watch Rick and Morty? It's like the best show ever!! It's kinda like Futurama, but actually fun and without restrains. I just love Rick. He shits science for breakfast. Or something.
Old 2015-09-30, 03:55
Classic

Wait there was a episode 0?
Thanks for letting me know. I'm a sucker for trying to "100%" shows.

Quote:
It's like the best show ever!!
pfft. Nonsense thats gotta be....

Tags
series, shows, television