Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2016-07-09, 19:00
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Oddly, I only just heard of that show because the same writter is doing a Netflix thing called Stranger things.
So you recommend?
--
Person of Interest - wow. How does this stay so good? I only have two episodes left now ( ) but those last 3 were great.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Netflix comedy. Good premise - woman gets kidnapped by a cult and trapped in a bunker for most her life. Finally gets let out and has to make her way in the modern world.
The first episode isn't anything that special. But as the show progress's it gets more and more weird and surreal - and that's when the comedy thrives. I binged S1 & 2. Glade to see it renewed.

Veep S05 - Sharp us political comedy, but also pretty hard to watch at times. If it wasn't for whats happening in real us politics right now you would call it unrealistic.
Everyone on this show is pretty much a asshole to eachother. However, it is frequently very funny.
Renewed for another season, but dunno where the hell they will go with it.
Old 2016-07-09, 20:08
weee

Wayward Pines is GREAT. And in a way different than other shows... actually refreshing. Latest episode (2x07) was excellent.
Old 2016-07-13, 20:24
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Well, I'll give it a try.
--
KillJoys S02E01 - What? You started with like 5 people flashing/remembering/waking-up from dreams in a row. How am I supposed to tell whats real and whats not when you do that? I can hardly remember the plot from last season as it is.
Still, some of the character interactions were fun.

DarkMater S02E01 - Much more coherent. Some intriguing things being set up sci-fi wise, but not a good episode in itself. The ships robot continues to be the best character.
Oh, and I hate the whole "oh that secret evil society from last season isn't the real secret evil society, as theres a even more secret evil soceity behind everything!"
I had plenty enough of that with Chuck and Alias.

Peep Show Season9 E01-3 - AKA ""Lets see into the minds of people self-justifying doing horrible things to each-other: The series"".
Still great. Still hard to watch at times.
Old 2016-07-13, 21:20
weee

Killjoys - Worth watching? Haven't tried that one.

Dark Matter is nice. Not deep, thought provoking nor brilliant in any way. Just nice and relaxing to sit back and watch.

Peep Show, yep, one of the more depressing shows. Watched all episodes and will continue to watch. I think they're just gonna make 6 more episodes once every few years until they die IRL.
Old 2016-07-14, 01:01
Classic

Quote:
Killjoys - Worth watching? Haven't tried that one.
ish? no? maybe?
Like you say for Dark Mater "not brilliant but watchable".
I don't think it handles its ongoing plots so well. Can be unclear at times regarding motivations and who wants what. Not sure why...its not that its all complex with lots of factions and such...more just something with the editing/pacing making it seem all messy.
The show tries to be more light hearted "fun" then Dark Mater. Rogues bounty-hunting there way across the galaxy. Sometimes it pulls it off. Often it doesn't.
Entertainment mostly comes from some character interactions, and the odd over the top moment.

Quote:
Peep Show, yep, one of the more depressing shows. Watched all episodes and will continue to watch. I think they're just gonna make 6 more episodes once every few years until they die IRL.
Seems the only thing they do together these days. They used to do sketchshows too which were pretty funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToKcmnrE5oY
Old 2016-08-08, 00:19
weee

Dark Matter [2x06] - Nice episode. Spoiler:
The crew of the Raza are up against an enemy with computing power so powerful that it can predict the future to an extremely high degree using data they collect from around the galaxy and from their own interactions. They wonder how can they decide what to do if the enemy already predicts it before they even think it, and they don't know where to escape. A very simple solution they didn't think of would be just to ask the android to make a random choice. Computers can make random choices that are unpredictable, no matter how much information someone might have. Just FTL to a random location. Simple.

Also, I'd like to quote this as I found it beautiful, exciting, and relevant to the real world we actually currently live in: Spoiler:
Quote:
All our predictive models suggest that a major paradigm shift is coming.

It's times like these, when longstanding patterns are disrupted, that things become more fluid. That's when a small group of people, or even a single individual, can change the course of history.

Mr. Robot [2x05] - Wow. What an episode. That was strong.
Old 2016-08-08, 23:02
Classic

Stranger Things (complete) - Great show. retro supernatural mystery. Very good atmosphere,build up, acting. Enough was resolved.
My only real issue was (mild spoiler);
Spoiler:
I am really bored with psychics getting nosebleeds

Oh, and its sometimes too dark. Netflix seems to save money at times by forgetting to buy lights.
Old 2016-08-10, 00:28
weee

Stranger Things sounds curious. Will check it out. I shall refrain from reading your mild spoiler for the time being.
Old 2016-09-02, 00:09
weee

Started watching Stranger Things. WOW, great show. Which is truly a rarity. I'm at episode 4. Already glad to see it's been renewed for a second season.
Old 2016-09-03, 21:08
weee

Ok, done. That was awesome. Can't wait for the second season
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
My only real issue was (mild spoiler);
Spoiler:
I am really bored with psychics getting nosebleeds
Yeah, very cliche. I think that was my only real issue as well. Totally forgivable.
Old 2016-09-04, 11:14
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

I'm watching the last episode at the moment. I like how it doesn't feel 'faux-80s' but for the most part you could think it was made back then. That's why I don't mind the cliché so much. It's not like "hey remember that thing that was in every 80s movie let's do that", it's more like "this is what everyone else is doing so let's do this"
Old 2016-09-04, 11:21
weee

Yes, that's true. It's nice for a change that a story is set in a certain time in history without attempting to force the style of storytelling that was used back then.

Also, I wasn't around in 1983 so maybe it's relevant for the time, but do I wish everyone would shut up already about Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. Just. Stop.
Old 2016-09-04, 23:12
Classic

I could also nitpick the Dungeons and Dragons stuff. Not in the story itself, but at the end. There was a line like;
Spoiler:

"9 hour campaign does it mater not everything was explained" or whatever.
Its like yes, mr writer, I see what your doing there, but stop. You explained enough for now, but no need to sneak in some 'clever' self-reference thing.

Its all nitpicks though. Stranger Things was wonderfully atmospheric. Of a time period, without being a slave too it. It used troupes, but also put its own twitst on them. Its acting - hell its child acting - was great. It great a compelling little world I was drawn into.
High hopes they can keep it up for the next season.

Also, credit to Netflix for commissioning it.
Old 2016-09-11, 00:47
Classic

Tried some new things;

BrainDead S01E01-2 -
This is weird. How to describe. Its current US politics, I would say mad, but its basically all real, but then with a sci-fi twist/conspiracy/zombie thing. But its all done rather low key.
Umm...the guy that wrote the Portal song does a recap song every episode.
Did I mention its weird?

Stan Lee's Luckyman S01E01 - More standard but I'll give it longer. Gambling addicted policeman gets weird luck powers? Comic book legend Stan Lee had some involvement. (I suspect passing over one post it note of a idea then claiming a pay check)
Its not bad as such, but its slow paced and a lot of the sub-ploting seems unnesscery.
Also stupid cliffhanger at end of episode1.
On the positives the main actor is from Jekyll (which is a must see 6-episode miniseries), and the cinematography is nice.
Old 2016-09-23, 13:04
Classic

Yup BrainDead is good, thats my recomendation atm

Wayward Pines S01E01-06 - Yup, this is good stuff. Maybe not as consistent/atmospheric as Stranger Things. But I love the way it keeps chucking the ideas/twists/reveals without holding back. Things happen mid-epp that you'd expect to happen at the end of episode of some shows (or even season).
Old 2016-09-28, 15:32
Banned

Alpha & Omega Dino Digs
The Littlest Pet Shop
Old 2016-11-22, 15:45
Classic

Did you like either?
--
Lots of TV stuff. Binging Away;

Yonderland S03E01-E06 - Still the funniest puppet based comedy on tv right now.

Red Dawrf XI?(complete) - Not their best, but far from their worst, still some solid lines, good comedy and a handful of interesting sci-fi ideas on a relatively low budget.
Renewed already. (or, well, was filmed back to back)

Class S01E01-E02 - Doctor Who spin-off set in a highschool. Some Buffy comparisons I guess. Overall trying too hard to be "adult" and "mature" with more gore then expected.
First episode was ok, some interesting setups. Second episode was terrible. Like a bad slasher film.

Dave Gormans: Modern Life Is Goodish - One man with a powerpoint presentation continues to be very entertaining.
Old 2016-11-23, 11:41
Banned

Exclamation

Ice Age: A Mammoth Christmas

Old 2016-11-23, 14:39
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Is that a tv show or a movie? this thread is only for tv shows!!1
Old 2016-11-23, 15:27
Banned

Zoe

Little Cars.
Old 2016-11-26, 16:48
Classic

Luke Cage - meh. A real disappointment. Big fan of Netflix in general, they have made a lot of good shows by now.
After enjoying both DareDevil and Jessica Jones (shows part of the same family), I had high hope for Luke Cage. But in the end its just a mess of cliches strung together. You could play cliche bingo.("Villian related to hero!") Even stylistically its disappointing.
DareDevil and JJ had a unique style....this...just kinda tries to be other two? Sort of. Its like weighed down by thinking it needs to match them tonely. Maybe. Either way its not interesting. All these shows also use obvious "color-coding" tints, Red, Purple, and this one is very Yellow. It just feels too template now.

Theres also some real random plot leaps that the audience is supposed to just accept.
The protagonist is litterally bullet proof. Great, no problem.
He gets a medical problem, and sugery is hard because they cant cut is skin. Sure, no issue.
But then to solve this issue they suddenly decide to "recreate the original experiment" that made his skin hard. Wait what? They just decide that will work and it does.
Why? Why on earth would making his skin hard again make him suddenly be cut able? Does the experiment know you want to cut him ? Is "the experiment" sentient in itself and does whatever is needed for the plot?
-sigh-
Oh well, I hope Iron Fist - the net series in this shared universe - is better.
Old 2016-11-27, 03:59
Quetching a Mr.

I just saw Stranger Things recently, probably one of the best Netflix original series I've ever seen - definitely emphasis on the strange side. It's weird because Netflix used to not do stuff like this, and now they've got some big names on some of their content. I also saw Alien a couple months ago for the first time, probably not as weird as Stranger Things, but that Xenomorph thing... As other films / movies are concerned, I saw the Matrix for the first time about half a year ago. I love that bank shootout scene - can see every bullet and chipped wall as the slow mo happens. It's interesting just how much ESRB ratings have changed by todays standards. The Matrix has nothing bad in comparison to what is rated R nowadays - it's ridiculous how far things have gone.

Edit: Was this for TV shows? If so, woops... Well, that gives people an idea of what I've been up to.
Old 2016-11-27, 16:26
Classic

Tis fine. Stranger Things is a tv show, doesn't matter if you go to other things.
Old 2016-11-28, 23:56
Classic

Dirk Gently S01 E01-05 - Forgot to mention this weirdly, as I think its my top recommendation at the moment.
American adaptions of British things often fail pretty hard, but this one seems to get the essence of the weirdness, even if the humor isn't quite as good.
Whats nice is the show doesn't spell anything out blatantly, and chucks a lot at you at once - as it should be for this. Its also weird in a laid back way, not "oh look I am quirky" so much as "oh, shark bite marks on the ceiling, I'll add that to the list..."
Old 2016-12-16, 23:12
weee

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency - I'm addicted! I love this show!! Thanks for the recommendation Darkfie
I watched the first episode twice, then I watched the second episode twice. Now I watched the third episode. I think I need to watch that again!

Tags
series, shows, television