Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > News > Syndicated news
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Syndicated news News from other LBA related websites.

Old 2007-08-06, 21:50
Magicball Network service bot

[LBA Prequel] .BMP-to-.FLA Converter by MGLC

Spatarel Dan Constantin ('MGLC') has been developing a .BMP to .FLA converter for our project for months now, and we are pleased to announce that it is complete and ready for release. This converter is now integrated into the LBA Screen Viewer and it should be released withinin the next few days to the public.

With this tool, we will now be able to fully integrate 3D models and CGI into cutscenes and a slew of other great uses, so we are grateful that Sparatel was able to help us out. Now more than ever, this sort of contribution from the LBA community shows that this truly is a fan project, and everyone can help! He saw on our website that we did not have such a converter as of yet, and took the time and the initiative to construct one for us.

Once again, thanks to Spatarel for his hard work, and bringing us a program that will not only help make our game better, but will be a wonderful addition to all LBA fan projects.

Read more...
Old 2007-08-06, 21:52
Magic Ball Master

I don't get it. A .BMP is an image. A .FLA is a movie. How to you convert? Image by imaqe and putting it together?
Old 2007-08-06, 22:01
Lemonhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
I don't get it. A .BMP is an image. A .FLA is a movie. How to you convert? Image by imaqe and putting it together?
That's what I thought
Old 2007-08-06, 22:07
Master of Science & Magic

FLAs are the movie format in LBA1. You can't simply convert a movie to FLA. So you render a movie to a series of BMPs which you can now convert to a FLA.
Old 2007-08-06, 22:42
Magic Ball Master

I see.

Btw, good going fixing both of the Bot's issues.
Old 2007-08-06, 22:49
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
eh, It's not the same FLA as Macromedia Flash I hope?

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2007-08-06, 23:15
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Muerte View Post
FLAs are the movie format in LBA1. You can't simply convert a movie to FLA. So you render a movie to a series of BMPs which you can now convert to a FLA.
Exactly!

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2007-08-06, 23:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAWinOwns View Post
eh, It's not the same FLA as Macromedia Flash I hope?
Of course not. Just because the extensions match doesn't mean they're the same.
Old 2007-08-06, 23:25
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Muerte
Of course not. Just because the extensions match doesn't mean they're the same.
People already know about it, they just need to say something.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.

Old 2007-08-07, 00:35

no they don't
Old 2007-08-07, 11:42
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
it's like a GIF format ... anyway, I'm curious where did this guy come from cause the name is romanian
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2007-08-07, 23:04
Magic Ball Master

I thought there is about 0 percent from a technical view, but who did really choose .FLA for the LBA move file? Ain't that really confusing, .FLA is quite huge.

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2007-08-07, 23:10
Magic Ball Master

Flade was invented for LBA 1.
Old 2007-08-07, 23:21
Magic Ball Master

Makes sense, anyway, who decided the extension for the LBA files?

* LBAWinOwns makes quick Google search for Flade.

Bah I'll just have to wait for Alexfont I guess...

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2007-08-07, 23:37

flade came from FLA DEcoder
Old 2007-08-08, 11:08
Magic Ball Master

Indeed, flade isn't the original name as El said.

I already try to know about what FLA means and didn't get any answer, but FLA should mean something like FMV. But like HQR (High Quality Resource) files, it also should have his meaning.

Old 2007-08-08, 11:57
Magic Ball Master

I had this vaguely in my mind, and it seems I got it wrong.
Old 2007-08-08, 16:30

I think all used extensions are a French acronym and not English.
Like "ile" or île is used for the islands

The F could be film
The A could be animation

although that would be weird since animation is a type of film
Old 2007-08-08, 16:35
Magic Ball Master

I thought about something like Full Length Animation

And don't know if all the names could be in French, like HQR isn't, but ILE could also be from isle.

Old 2007-08-08, 19:44

it's not really full length, now is it?
I don't think HQR stands for High Quality Resource
But since island or isle in French is île the extension is a dead giveaway
Old 2007-08-08, 23:08
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Hello

I have no idea what FLA stands for but I don't think it matters too much.

First of all, I'd like to thank the person(s) that wrote the FLA player (decoder), that inspired me to write the encoder.

Second, I'd like to give you a few recomandations on how to get the best out of the convertor. (Technical details follow - skip the rest of the post if you're not interested)

Let's assume you have a very-high quality AVI and you want to get a FLA out of it. First, the AVI has to be:
320x200 resolution
24 color deepth
12 fps
with no sound

Once you have the right AVI, you should do the following conversions in the exact order:
1) AVI -> BMP with Virtual Dub - Dirtual Dub can handle easily any AVI format and can expot it into BMPs;
2) BMP -> GIF with Aheah GIF Animoator - you must get an animated GIF out of the AVI, because GIFs use 256 colours palettes;
3) GIF -> PNG with Aheah GIF Animoator - GIF Animator can not export BMPs;
4) PNG -> BMP with IrfanView - my program knows only the BMP file format;
5) BMP -> FLA with my program - now that the BMPs have only 256 different colors, the pallete can be calculated and you've got the FLA.

The steps presented and the programs I mentioned are just recomandations. You may skip some of the steps and you may use other programs to get a better quality. However, I must stress that it's essntial to obtain an animated GIF at some point because you can only convert BMPs with 256 diffrent colors.

Multiple keyframes:
By default, the convertor creates a FLA with only one keyframe (frame 0). However, you can tell the convertor to insert additional keyframes by specifing their index.
Every keyframe marks the beginning of a new scene. Every scene uses a single palette thus all the frames that form a scene must use the same 256 colors. To achive this, you must create an animated GIF for every scene.
After you convert the animated GIFs into BMPs and rename the files as required, you must calculate the indexes of the first frames of every scene and feed them to the convertor as keyframes.
Using multiple keyframes may be quite complicated but it can make a diffrence in terms of image quality without increasing the FLA's size too much.

Samples:
Unfortunetly I have little knowledge about the samples. I added support for them blindly. I haven't tested them. Perhaps alexfont may be able to give more information on how to add sound to a cutscene. All I know is that you have to tell the convertor to link the FLA to a certain sample by specifing its index and a few ohter things. Moreover, you can link only one sample.

Here, you can find a sample AVI, an animated GIF, the final BMPs used by the convertor and the FLA file.

http://download2.spatarel.ro/LBA/

You may notice the FLA is 6 times smaller than the fully decompressed AVI and that the animated GIF is quite smaller than the FLA. This is due to the performances of the GIF and FLA compression algothms. I stived to get the best compression possible using the FLA format but it seems that GIFs use a better encoder (they use a diffrent decoder too).

Meaby I should have made a GIF to FLA convertor but I did'nt have a GIF decoder .

I hope this post will help some of you while working with the convertor! Good luck!
Old 2007-08-09, 00:27
Magic Ball Master

FLA movie has a own palette for every movie or every frame?

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2007-08-09, 03:54
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAWinOwns View Post
FLA movie has a own palette for every movie or every frame?
Every scene has it's own palette. A scene starts with a keyframe and ends just before the next keyframe or when the movie ends. The palette itself is recorded within the keyframe.

The first frame (frame 0) is alwais a keyframe. You may not add any other keyframes and have only one secene and one palette for the whole movie (as I did in the sample) or you may add as many keyframes as you like to improve image quality but you will increase the filesize too.

To actualy see how the paletts work, open a longer FLA with LBA Screen Viewer, press Play and keep your eyes on the palette. You will notice it changes from time to time! Every time it changes you're witessing a keyframe that marks the beginning of a new scene.

I hope this clears things out.
Old 2007-08-09, 12:28
Twinsunian Quetch

Spatarel, are you from romania ?
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2007-08-09, 12:52
Twinsunian Quetch

.fla = flash ( french ) btw
.obl = obliterer ( french for gradually erasing ) I think it's cause of the way the islands' exteriors are gradually fading away and erasing themselves from the memory