Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2013-02-18, 22:12
Previously Link

What did you play when you were a kid?

Describe how you played when you were a kid.
No video games here.
Talk about what games you played with your friends, brothers/sisters, relatives, outside, inside, at school, at home...

Did you invent new games or sports?
What did you build with your legos?
Did you explore strange planets, or fight monsters in dark forests?
Where you soldiers, pilots, city mayors?

Talk about your childhood universe!
Old 2013-02-18, 22:16
<3 MP

Me and my siblings and neighbors would play our own real life interpretation of "little house on the prarie" in the field across from our house. We'd take our radio flyer wagon as our "home" and take bark from trees and use it as paper, and use grass as makeshift bandages.. lol good times.

We also had our own clubhouse in the woods.

EDIT: oh yeah I also had a dirtbike when I was about 10. That thing was awesome... till I crashed it..

Last edited by Zee; 2013-02-18 at 22:32.
Old 2013-02-18, 22:27
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link View Post
Describe how you played when you were a kid.
No video games here.
Talk about what games you played with your friends, brothers/sisters, relatives, outside, inside, at school, at home...

Did you invent new games or sports?
What did you build with your legos?
Did you explore strange planets, or fight monsters in dark forests?
Where you soldiers, pilots, city mayors?

Talk about your childhood universe!
As far as I remember I had enough imagination to be entertained even without toys. But I have no idea what I played anymore. Hadn't thought about it
Old 2013-02-18, 23:00
Previously Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchet View Post
Me and my siblings and neighbors would play our own real life interpretation of "little house on the prarie" in the field across from our house. We'd take our radio flyer wagon as our "home" and take bark from trees and use it as paper, and use grass as makeshift bandages.. lol good times.
I never watched "little house on the prairie", what's your interpretation like? What did you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchet View Post
We also had our own clubhouse in the woods.
We made one of those too, it was very primitive though. The nice thing is that it was pretty far from the house. Many things happened there, far from the parent's eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
As far as I remember I had enough imagination to be entertained even without toys. But I have no idea what I played anymore. Hadn't thought about it
Oh, come on! Surely you have at least one cool story to tell!
Old 2013-02-19, 11:17
Polly parrot

Not exactly a game, but we've had a hi-fi at home since my second sister was born (I was six). Every night before going to bed, we used to listen to music while walking around on the carpet in front of the speakers
Old 2013-02-19, 14:31
Magic Ball Master

Awesome, awesome thread, although I'm going to break the rules a bit and talk about video games a little. They definitely were part of my childhood.
  • Action figures: Especially GI Joe, TMNT, Marvel comics, Real Ghostbusters, and Transformers. I was one of those kids who loved to create elaborate stories and scenarios and then act them out with toys. These weren't the only toys I had, but the ones I remember playing with the most. Random toys would always fill in as side-characters or villains and whatnot. I remember one issue of Spider-Man fan magazine that showed you how to make stop-motion animation with your figures. That was, to me, really neat.

• Lego: Like most here who grew up around the same time as me, I think Lego was engrained in the culture at that point. I actually kept my Legos really organized, or at least did for awhile. I loved building the different sets and some really stood out - "Pirate," "City" and "Castle" were two of my favorites - but with Legos you could always build something else. I consider that to be the 'golden age' of Legos if you will. Now when I go to the store and see Legos, there are mostly movie-themed or licensed sets. There is still City but by and large it seems like the idea of imagination is kind of gone. Maybe I'm just not a kid anymore so I feel a bit jaded on this. Lego was the coolest though. After writing this, I kind of want to go buy another set. Way to go, haha.

• Nintendo: I had other systems as I got older but my first was the 8-bit NES. I know we're not supposed to talk video games, but this had to be my favorite birthday gift ever (come to think of it, I can't remember if it was a birthday or Christmas gift...damn). I didn't have a lot of games early on too, I had Super Mario Bros., Nintendo World Cup, Super Spike V'Ball, and Legend of Zelda. Some of my fondest childhood memories were going to the rental shop to find a new game to try. Many of them, in retrospect, were terrible. But that experience was the tapestry of my childhood. I loved it. I would give anything to go back to that time for five minutes. None of those shops exist anymore. I still remember when you couldn't buy video games off the shelf - you had to put in a form/slip, you'd pay for the game, and then you'd have to pick it up at a merchandise window (for Zee, it wasn't just Toys R Us that did this hehe). I'll never forget how excited I was for Super Mario Bros. 3. I had saved enough money to buy it, put in the slip, and I think it may have been the greatest moment in my life when I opened that yellow box with raccoon Mario on the cover. Not sure. Probably is though. I clearly peaked at 8.

• Adventures: I don't know what else to call this. Like Zee and the Little House on the Prairie, most of the neighborhood kids and I would get together and either play sports, or action figures, or games. The best for me would be when my friends would come over. We'd piece together old Halloween costumes, clothes, etc. and make up elaborate stories to live out our action-figure ideas. Eventually as we got a little older we incorporated props and the stories got more elaborate. Some of the faces changed as kids moved away or moved to town. Some of my closest friends were the kids who were part of these adventures. I couldn't remember much of the plots about them - I think the funniest was where we pretended to be Super Mario and bounce on a trampoline trying to hit imaginary super block or knock Bowser off - still, a lot of fun.

• Slot Cars/model rockets/trains: Something I haven't played with in ages but I always liked models and other toys that were replicas of vehicles, planes, etc. Firing off model rockets was so cool! I had an elaborate train set when I was younger but eventually it took over an entire room and when I got older became kind of obsolete. Now I sit back and say when I buy/build my first house, I will definitely have a room just for these sort of hobbies, haha. Slot cars were also great - little electrified race cars along a track that you could race against friends. A lot of fun, and the best part of each was that you could always have friends over to play with you.

• Portable Record Player/Voice Recorder: This was so much fun. I had a cheap portable record player and I wore out the grooves on Thriller and Bad. I think I also had Alvin and the Chipmunks, haha. That was a lot of fun. I also had a little tape cassette recorder that I would record jokes on. Sometimes if I heard a neat song on the radio I would save that too. Of course, having only one or two tapes, there is very little that remains and everything would get taped over. But that was a ton of fun. I remember when Home Alone 2: Lost in New York came out and then everyone got into Talkboys and whatnot. It was super cumbersome (I think I got it for Christmas one year). My little Sony recorder went in my pocket. Just a neat little device that was not really a toy but was cool to play with.

• Play-Doh: Kind of like the Lego stuff above, Play-Doh was ridiculously awesome and required your imagination to use. I liked molding sets that helped shape things. I had a Burger King set that let you shape hamburgers, fries, etc. I had a Ghostbusters set that let you make ghosts, traps, etc. That was neat. Play-Doh also featured in the action figure stories aforementioned as it served as a medium to help figures hold on to plastic accessories, or stick together, or even have their heads/body parts/etc. covered by a strange and terrible blob!

I will probably add more as I think over the coming days about my childhood. This has been a nice dose of nostalgia, Link, so thank you. +5 gems to thread rating.

Last edited by Double-J; 2013-02-19 at 14:40. Reason: added moar stuff! the moar u no
Old 2013-02-20, 00:16
LBA fan

I actually played football when I was a kid. Haven't done so in 10 years.
Old 2013-02-20, 00:21
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medur View Post
Medur?!?!?!

Old 2013-02-20, 00:31
Polly parrot

Daddy, who is that person ?

Old 2013-02-20, 00:37
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Daddy, who is that person ?

Watch and learn, child. For you are in the presence of greatness.
Old 2013-02-20, 00:53
Polly parrot

Ooooh...
Old 2013-02-20, 12:18
the legend

My answer would be too big to ever fit into 1. the poor human language, 2. the limitations of written text, and finally, 3. within a post of a reasonable size for people to actually bother to read.

But it's a nice thread !

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2013-02-20, 14:05
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Lego and Card games mostly.
I loved monopoly, but my parents hated it :P

I also loved playing with old circuitry. Making a intercom from a old phone is amazingly easy.

Lego was the majority of my time though - I inherited a lot and bought a lot. Started with old spacesets (M-Tron, Black Tron), then moved on to technique.
To the amazement of my friends I purchased a Lego Technique Control Center rather then a SNES. :P Loved it.

Much later when the N64 came out, I got a second hand NES and SNES a few months later to catch up
Old 2013-02-20, 14:25
LBA2 Maestro

Old 2013-02-20, 15:38
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
My answer would be too big to ever fit into 1. the poor human language, 2. the limitations of written text, and finally, 3. within a post of a reasonable size for people to actually bother to read.

But it's a nice thread !
I would read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Oh man, I totally forgot to talk about board games. Yes. Monopoly is still my favorite game. The problem is how much time you have to dedicate to it. I've only finished a handful of games. People either get frustrated/quit/stop playing rationally after so long (kind of like real monopolies? lol) and it doesn't end well.

I've found that the best board games are the simplest (this may actually be worth it's own thread, tbqh). I have a few complicated strategy games that involve intricate rules, situations, etc. and to me half of the problem is setting them up because it takes ages. I much prefer something we can call jump in and memorize the rules relatively quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtDemolition View Post
Haha one thing I never got into but always had lying around. I think I used them as accessories for Play-Doh or to symbolize money or jewels or magic orbs.
Old 2013-02-20, 16:13
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Oh man, I totally forgot to talk about board games. Yes. Monopoly is still my favorite game. The problem is how much time you have to dedicate to it. I've only finished a handful of games. People either get frustrated/quit/stop playing rationally after so long (kind of like real monopolies? lol) and it doesn't end well.

I've found that the best board games are the simplest (this may actually be worth it's own thread, tbqh). I have a few complicated strategy games that involve intricate rules, situations, etc. and to me half of the problem is setting them up because it takes ages. I much prefer something we can call jump in and memorize the rules relatively quickly.
Indeed.
Often I find the best period though is when your just learning your tactics for the first time. When you know the rules, but only are still working out the best ways to apply them.

Sadly its rare that I get to play any board games these days. I got one for Christmas based on Discworld - seems to be a city based strategy game. Havnt had a chance to play it. (mostly because it seems so complex to set up).

A few months earlier I played a really simple one I cant remember the name of. Had pegs, and tactically consisted of trying to get somewhere, while simultaneously blocking other people getting there. Was really good in terms of "tactics vs easy to get into". Sadly though it went on forever and we didnt finnish.
Old 2013-02-20, 16:18
Magic Ball Master

You know if there is more strategy in learning the rules than playing the game, something is amiss.
Old 2013-02-20, 17:52
Previously Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
Awesome, awesome thread, although I'm going to break the rules a bit and talk about video games a little. They definitely were part of my childhood.
This has been a nice dose of nostalgia, Link, so thank you. +5 gems to thread rating.
These are no strict rules, merely a guideline, as long as the thread doesn't turn to be a list of all video games you played in your life (there are many other threads for that). You can post about games you play as an adult too, if those are games kids could play (ex: a serious gambling game or a complex recent FPS are bad candidates). Glad you like my thread

Quote:
Action figures: Especially GI Joe, TMNT, Marvel comics, Real Ghostbusters, and Transformers. I was one of those kids who loved to create elaborate stories and scenarios and then act them out with toys. These weren't the only toys I had, but the ones I remember playing with the most. Random toys would always fill in as side-characters or villains and whatnot. I remember one issue of Spider-Man fan magazine that showed you how to make stop-motion animation with your figures. That was, to me, really neat.
I never had action figures, nor did the appeal to me. I loved to create elaborate stories and scenarios and act them with toys though. Only, we'd use lego characters or teddy bears (we had quite a collection of those) for that purpose. I remember my little bro making a MV with stop-motion lego animation. Maybe it's on youtube somewhere, i'll try to find it tonight.

Quote:
Lego: Like most here who grew up around the same time as me, I think Lego was engrained in the culture at that point. I actually kept my Legos really organized, or at least did for awhile. I loved building the different sets and some really stood out - "Pirate," "City" and "Castle" were two of my favorites - but with Legos you could always build something else. I consider that to be the 'golden age' of Legos if you will. Now when I go to the store and see Legos, there are mostly movie-themed or licensed sets. There is still City but by and large it seems like the idea of imagination is kind of gone. Maybe I'm just not a kid anymore so I feel a bit jaded on this. Lego was the coolest though. After writing this, I kind of want to go buy another set. Way to go, haha.
I played legos with my brother when going back to my parent's last christmas. That's probably what inspired this thread actually. I never realized we had so many of them. I guess being 3 boys, and each of us getting new sets at every birthday or christmas, plus inheriting those my parents used as kids helped... It must have cost them a fortune though. But a good investment too. They were very much appreciated! We'd almost never build what was intended by the sets, but instead follow themes set by ourselves. Sometimes when my cousins came home, and my friends were there too, we would be more than 10 people playing together, filling the house with constructions and noise. Some recurring themes were: the transport hub (harbours and their boats, airports, space stations), the ski resort (using cooking threads for cablecar cables, over the staircase) and the world (as in every room of the house was a different country managed by one of us). We'd also make roller coasters with a mix of duplo train tracks and lego settings. Kenex were also part of the mix. We'd spend about 50% of the time building stuff, and 50% role playing.

Quote:
Adventures: I don't know what else to call this. Like Zee and the Little House on the Prairie, most of the neighborhood kids and I would get together and either play sports, or action figures, or games. The best for me would be when my friends would come over. We'd piece together old Halloween costumes, clothes, etc. and make up elaborate stories to live out our action-figure ideas. Eventually as we got a little older we incorporated props and the stories got more elaborate. Some of the faces changed as kids moved away or moved to town. Some of my closest friends were the kids who were part of these adventures. I couldn't remember much of the plots about them - I think the funniest was where we pretended to be Super Mario and bounce on a trampoline trying to hit imaginary super block or knock Bowser off - still, a lot of fun.
The Adventures are probably my most memorable childhood memories. I have many stories involving swimming pools, wandering in the woods, costumes, forced touristic visits and hiking with our parents that would turn into quests, video games immitations, and many more. I'll keep them for later posts, there's just too much to tell, and I only remember a part of it.

Quote:
Slot Cars/model rockets/trains: Something I haven't played with in ages but I always liked models and other toys that were replicas of vehicles, planes, etc. Firing off model rockets was so cool! I had an elaborate train set when I was younger but eventually it took over an entire room and when I got older became kind of obsolete. Now I sit back and say when I buy/build my first house, I will definitely have a room just for these sort of hobbies, haha. Slot cars were also great - little electrified race cars along a track that you could race against friends. A lot of fun, and the best part of each was that you could always have friends over to play with you.
I love model trains. Never had any myself though. I should definitly have a room for those too. Made a pretty big model rocket at school (3-4 feet high or something like that). Our slot cars got broken too quickly, they were the cheapest models. I don't recall them being much fun. However, my dad once found a broken kart abandonned in a wood, we tweaked it over the years, it never had an engine, but we'd use it to go down steep slopes, or someone would push it from behind. We had much fun with this, for many years. I'll post pics of the different evolutions.

I always say "we" because we were a group of friends. Me, my 2 little brothers, our neighbours (and best friends), and occasionally our cousins.

Quote:
Portable Record Player/Voice Recorder: This was so much fun. I had a cheap portable record player and I wore out the grooves on Thriller and Bad. I think I also had Alvin and the Chipmunks, haha. That was a lot of fun. I also had a little tape cassette recorder that I would record jokes on. Sometimes if I heard a neat song on the radio I would save that too. Of course, having only one or two tapes, there is very little that remains and everything would get taped over. But that was a ton of fun. I remember when Home Alone 2: Lost in New York came out and then everyone got into Talkboys and whatnot. It was super cumbersome (I think I got it for Christmas one year). My little Sony recorder went in my pocket. Just a neat little device that was not really a toy but was cool to play with.
THE PORTABLE TAPE CASSETTE RECORDER! That thing was a praised jewel of ours! With its integrated mic, we used it to record oursleves. We mainly pretended to be a radio station. We had news "broadcasts", with fake interviews, joke sessions, debates and other stuff like that. It was hilarious.

Quote:
Play-Doh: Kind of like the Lego stuff above, Play-Doh was ridiculously awesome and required your imagination to use. I liked molding sets that helped shape things. I had a Burger King set that let you shape hamburgers, fries, etc. I had a Ghostbusters set that let you make ghosts, traps, etc. That was neat. Play-Doh also featured in the action figure stories aforementioned as it served as a medium to help figures hold on to plastic accessories, or stick together, or even have their heads/body parts/etc. covered by a strange and terrible blob!
Molding hamburger and fries? OMG! I'm glad I didn't grow up in the US!

Quote:
I will probably add more as I think over the coming days about my childhood.
I just figured, this is probably the best way to use this thread, post cool memories and anectodes as they come back to us during the discussion, rather than a power-point presentation of our childhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medur View Post
Medur! Glad to see you here sir!
I played football a bit too, but only with friends, for the fun, never seriously, like any other sport we played. The sport we played most though, was a sort of modified rugby/american football we created. I'll detail it later, hope it makes it to the olympics some day.

Quote:

But it's a nice thread !
1. What kind of an excuse is that? Just bend the language to your needs!
2. Same.
3. You don't have to post all your childhood in one time. Post anectodes as they come to your mind!

Quote:
Lego and Card games mostly.

I also loved playing with old circuitry. Making a intercom from a old phone is amazingly easy.
I haven't played monopoly in ages. Pictionary and Taboo were always my favorites. I liked Chinese checkers, Othello, Rummy and Abalone a lot too.
Never played with old circuitry, must be fun!

Quote:
Haha one thing I never got into but always had lying around. I think I used them as accessories for Play-Doh or to symbolize money or jewels or magic orbs.
Same here!
Old 2013-02-22, 00:00
the legend

sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2013-02-22, 02:46
Magic Ball Master

Quote:

Squirt guns I definitely did too. The ultimate summer alternative to a snowball fight, haha.

Finger puppets? I think? Do tell!
Old 2013-02-22, 19:46
Classic

Anyone remember these?:

http://www.pocketpowertoys.com/
They were made by SEGA - a company few now know do anything but videogames.

I had a few - but the helicopter was the best by far.
Old 2013-02-23, 16:24
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Anyone remember these?:

http://www.pocketpowertoys.com/
They were made by SEGA - a company few now know do anything but videogames.

I had a few - but the helicopter was the best by far.
I had that exact helicopter! It was the only one I had though, I didn't realize they made other vehicles (?). I honestly don't remember how/when I got it. Probably an early birthday present. I hadn't thought about it until you posted that. Awesome.
Old 2013-02-23, 17:06
Magic Ball Master

I did a lot of things when I was a kid:
- Played a lot with my neighbors on many type of interacting games;
- A lot of bicycling, skating, roller skating;
- Remember playing Playmobil and make things with plasticine and cardboard;
- Did some short movies with frame capture with my brothers; I grow up with many Sony video technology since my father was doing film and edition;
- Later at 10 also motorcycling and jet-skying;

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2013-02-24, 15:08
the legend

Quote:
Finger puppets? I think? Do tell!
Yep!

Well, drawing and messing around with colored papers was always something we used to do (me and my bro), so I guess it just came as a natural thing to make finger puppets eventually.

Our favorite characthers to "puppetize" were FBI agents in 30's style (with a big coat and hat, specially the hat because it's fun to make a hat to put in your finger haha), and also because we were heavily influenced by X-Files at the time. Then we'd invent stories around and play...

Old 2013-02-24, 15:09
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfont View Post
- Later at 10 also motorcycling and jet-skying;
Wait wha-- you were motorcycling with 10 years old ??? O_O