Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2013-08-02, 18:31
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Your top 10 video games

yes yes, we had this thread a million times, but members change and new games have come out since the last thread.

so list your top 10 favourite video games, i'll post mine soon.
Old 2013-08-02, 18:54
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Is it allowed to dedicate more than one single position to the same game?

Otherwise;
  1. Little Big Adventure 2
  2. Age of Empires 2 - The Conquerors
  3. Red Alert 2 - Yuris Revenge
  4. RuneScape (solo aspect only)
  5. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
  6. Tomb Raider (haven't played all episodes yet)
  7. The Sims 1 (all expansions)
  8. SPORE
  9. Atlantis II
  10. Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items
Words come in all sizes. But even if they fit you,
they might not come at appropriate times.

Good for everyone is finding yourself first,
and then the good in others second.

Last edited by J McKalling; 2013-08-02 at 21:21.
Old 2013-08-02, 19:25
Magic Ball Master

Is it only Single-player video games, or can we add Multiplayer games aswell (MMORPG, Mobas, Plataformers)?
It will be realy hard for me to choose my top 10 games as I don't remember every game that I have played already (Bad memory) and its realy hard to choose between some of them
Old 2013-08-02, 19:34
the legend

This is tricky.

Because there are the games I've had most fun with (countless hours playing); and those I most love (because of the atmosphere/concept/nostalgia/etc. but I didn't necessarily played them several times). So I'll make two lists.

TOP 5 FUN:

1. Team Fortress Classic
2. Jagged Alliance 2
3. Worms 2
4. Destruct (Easter Egg within Tyrian 2000)
5. Transport Tycoon

TOP 5 I LOVE:

1. LBA 2
2. LBA 1
3. Robin Hood: The Legend Of Sherwood
4. X-Com: Terror From The Deep
5. Alone In the Dark

Honorable Mentions:

1. Commander Keen 1-6
2. Prince of Persia
3. Half-Life
4. Pitman (GBC)
5. BG&E

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2013-08-02 at 19:41.
Old 2013-08-02, 20:31
Party animal

yeah you can put in games from all types and genres, and you can exceed 10 games if you feel you want to include more
Old 2013-08-02, 21:40
You Only Live Twice

Send a message via AIM to Twinsan Send a message via MSN to Twinsan
I'll just go for a section of top ten in no real order, as it's too hard to judge.

Little Big Adenture 2 -pc
Little big Adventure -pc/ps
Empire Earth-pc
Birth by Sleep -psp
Runescape -pc
Medievil -ps
Medievil Resurrection -psp
Pokemon Yellow -GB
virtue's Last Rward -ps vita
Broken Sword-pc

so mainly games on pc or a playstation console

Last edited by Twinsan; 2013-08-02 at 22:01.
Old 2013-08-02, 23:24
Magic Ball Master

Ok, to make my list I have considered both the nostalgia I have/had when playing the games (gameplay, story, soundtrack), and how much fun I had with them. I'm almost sure it is not final as I don't remember many games I have played before and I might want to change some, but here we go:

#1 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
#2 - Little Big Adventure 2 (Twinsen's Odyssey)
#3 - Silkroad Online
#4 - PangYa (yea, call me whatever you want but I was the top rank of that game)
#5 - Rayman 1 (somehow finished when I was younger without the lives hack)
#6 - Super Mario World
#7 - Prince of Persia (The Sands of Time and The Warrior Within)
#8 - Worms 2 and/or Armaggedon
#9 - Fable I
#10 - Portal

Honorable mentions:

#11 - .Hack.GU (best Ps2 game ever, and one of the best rpgs out there)
#12 - Assassin's Creed 2
#13 - Torchlight I and II (Both awesome, playing Torchlight II atm)
#14 - Pokemon Yellow, Blue and Red
#15 - Heroes of Might and Magic IV
#16 - Minecraft
#17 - Terraria
#18 - League of Legends (Makes me angry everyday, but its realy fun )

Last edited by marcosmapf; 2013-08-03 at 00:26.
Old 2013-08-02, 23:35
Magic Level: Fire Ball

In no order of Supremacy

LBA 2
Tekken 5
Sacrifice
Apocalyptica
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Magic The Gathering Battlegrounds
The Void
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines
Bully Scholarship Edition
Pathologic
Old 2013-08-03, 01:28
the legend

I'm happy to notice that, with the exception of LBA, the games here are not repeating themselves over and over, and that all of us have very different gaming tastes - shows how diverse LBA fans are.

sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2013-08-03, 02:19
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
I'm happy to notice that, with the exception of LBA, the games here are not repeating themselves over and over, and that all of us have very different gaming tastes - shows how diverse LBA fans are.
RuneScape being the only one with more than one hit. It's a great game, offering a lot of different gaming styles, but for me its focus on combat is not for everyone. For me, a game should be replayable or continuable, with a path to accomplishments. An adventure game is precisely that.

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items
Words come in all sizes. But even if they fit you,
they might not come at appropriate times.

Good for everyone is finding yourself first,
and then the good in others second.
Old 2013-08-03, 02:24
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by J McKalling View Post
RuneScape being the only one with more than one hit. It's a great game, offering a lot of different gaming styles, but for me its focus on combat is not for everyone. For me, a game should be replayable or continuable, with a path to accomplishments. An adventure game is precisely that.
Worms 2 (me and Marcos) as well, but 2 people isn't a big enough number yet, that's why I ignored these.

I've played Runescape as well, in it's very begginning, it was all very fun until the quests became kind of meaningless to me and the excitement of interacting with hundreds of other players was gone, since basically noone really interacted other than for trading. I had a few friends there but there wasn't much in common other than "oh wow so this is how a MMORPG feels like". Was nice experiencing to know how these games are like though.

Old 2013-08-03, 03:19
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
This is tricky.

Because there are the games I've had most fun with (countless hours playing); and those I most love (because of the atmosphere/concept/nostalgia/etc. but I didn't necessarily played them several times). So I'll make two lists.
If I had to answer truthfully, I would need a lot more categories than just two. I play games of different genres in a lot of different formats and for different reasons.

Let's see if I can make a proper overview.

Nostalgia:
These would be games that I simply like because I grew up with them and played them over and over. They might be good, but I'm not sure I could properly access their quality from a neutral point of view considering all the nostalgia involved.
1) LBA 1 & 2
2) Croc: Legend of the Gobbos
3) Rayman 1 & 2
4) Starcraft
5) Tycoon Games like Simutrans or Roller Coaster Tycoon.

I know some people are going to see red seeing Rayman 1 and 2 being listed next to each other. And I can see why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosmapf View Post
#5 - Rayman 1 (somehow finished when I was younger without the lives hack)
It's damn hard, isn't it? I'm confident I only beat it once, and it made me insane in the process.

Top quality:
These are games I enjoy for their innovative or engaging gameplay and story. Games that I would recommend to all fans of the respective genre.
1) Metroid Prime Trilogy
2) Paper Mario 2
3) Psychonauts
4) Professor Layton
5) Zelda WInd Waker

Multiplayer:
1) Starcraft 2
2) Minecraft
3) Mario Kart Wii
4) Mario Smash Football
5) Smash Bros.

Timewasters:
I spend a lot of time commuting and the like. For this I prefer games that can be shut off immediately. Retro-games that are insanely difficult and arcade games in general are good for this.
1) Castlevania NES
2) Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels
3) Outrun
4) Super Hang-On
5) Minesweeper.

Shameless self-indulgence:
These are the games that I actually drown most of my time in at the end of the day. Games like Morrowind and Oblivion. Not because these games would be amazing or perfect or anything. There are a couple of aspects that must tickle my neurotransmitters. One aspect is the freedom to play outside of the rule of the game by using the construction set or downloading all sorts of crazy mods.

For Morrowind I spent ages creating my own mods and worlds that I would then visit just for myself. That was fun back when you didn't need to record voices in order to create your own characters with personality. I remember adding a "book" to Morrowind that was a parody of the Kant shit we had to read in Ethics classes. Endless babble about the "meaning of life" that did not make any kind of sense.

When I first picked up Oblivion I was massively disappointed by the general blandness of the game and didn't play on. About two years ago I rediscovered it and am now still busy to install about 125869 mods to make the game more bearable and fun to play. I just like toying with stuff. This is how carried away I got:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot208.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	9799
Old 2013-08-03, 03:29
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Other games worth a mention:

Heroes of Might and Magic 3
Runescape
World of Warcraft
Age of Empires 2 & 3
Age of Mythology & Expansion
Batman Arkham City
Bioshock Series
Dungeon Siege 2
Grand Theft Auto Series
Hitman Series
Penumbra Series
Rally Championship Xtreme
Garry's Mod
Team Fortress 2
Old 2013-08-03, 03:58
Magic Ball Master

There was an expansion for Age of Mythology? I should pick that one up when I'm done playing through WarCraft III. I only remember playing the single-player mode in Age of Mythology and enjoyed it a lot.
Old 2013-08-03, 04:19
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
It's damn hard, isn't it? I'm confident I only beat it once, and it made me insane in the process.
It isn't only damn hard, its nearly impossible to beat it without cheats or grinding the whole day for lives if you haven't beat it before.

Idk how, but I rached the 2nd stage of Picture City on my first try after not playing the game for 4 years... I might have wasted 70 or so lives to reach it, but I'm still proud of myself
Old 2013-08-03, 04:25
Magic Ball Master

I found it impossible enough to beat Picture City. Let alone get all the cages along the way. And I must have had a few million tries on that Scorpion Stage water level.
Old 2013-08-03, 06:08
Magic Ball Master

Oh god, you mean Scops Cave right? It was nearly impossible to pass that stage. I quit my first run on Rayman 1 because I couldn't find the last damn cage in there. I could only beat the game the 2nd time I played it =/

But then, this time I had no problem to find all the cages on the stages. I mean, I found ALL of the cages on ALL of the stages after Band land, on my first try...
Old 2013-08-03, 14:49
Idyllic + whimsical

I can list my top 10 games, but I can't really put an order to the list, except for the first one.

1) Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Definitely my favorite game, I love the MGS series and 2's interesting/bizarre storyline got me to play it repeatedly over the years. The Substance version added a lot of cool VR missions which I've clocked more hours on than on the actual game.
This is also probably the game I've played from start to finish the most times - about 5-6 times if I'm not mistaken.

Deus Ex
I started this game 4 times before I actually made it to the end. This game, like many good things, takes time to get into and rewards you in the long run.

Okami
Also this game gave me a bad impression at first, with a brutally long text intro that can't be skipped. I saved after that intro, returned to the game about 2 months later, and discovered a truly beautiful and fun adventure game.

Fallout
I'm referring to the franchise, because I'm having a hard time picking my favorite. 1 and 2 have sentimental value for me, 3 had an amazing atmosphere, and New Vegas fixed the things that were wrong in 3. I'd gladly pick any of the games in the series (excluding Tactics which I've never played) over most games.

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
A FPS/lightsaber fighting mix that works really well. The single-player campaign can be frustrating at times, but the amazing multiplayer experience makes everything forgivable.

Terraria
Terraria reminded me what it was like to play games as a kid: the addiction, wanting to find out what more the game's world has to offer, and the excitement of finding out something new.

The Longest Journey
I picked this game in the shop after seeing just a few screenshots, and it was a really good decision. Clever puzzles, beautiful artwork, intriguing story - for me this is the pinnacle of classic adventure games.

Half-Life 2
I dislike HL1 (even today, after playing the Black Mesa remake), but HL2 really hit the spot for me. I love the world they created there, and I have to give Valve credit for quite a lot of gameplay and level design decisions.

Rayman
Once again, I'm having a hard time picking one game. I've played the original Rayman, Rayman 2 and Rayman Origins, and each of them has its own charm. Rayman is insanely hard, but has well designed levels and amazing music. Rayman 2 is one of the few 3D platformers that I can stand. Rayman Origins is just pure fun with tight controls and a difficulty that doesn't make things too easy, but doesn't frustrate the player as well. If I had to pick one of them, I'd probably go with Origins as it fits my current gaming mood the most.

Little Big Adventure
Oh right, the game this forum's about. This time I'm talking about LBA1 specifically. While I'm not sure I would've enjoyed it as much nowadays, I still fondly remember it and I can't think of any other game which I could add to the list instead of this one. It's kind of illogical, like love. You sometimes can't explain why someone has your heart.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2013-08-03, 15:20
Party animal

Ok here goes. In no particular order save for the first:

1) Final Fantasy VII
What can I say, I see this game as perfection incarnate.
Never in my life have I been sucked into a game like this. No plot has ever been more complex and well written, no soundtrack has ever been more brilliant, no characters have ever been more memorable and no final boss has ever been more perfect.

2) Little Big Adventure 1
The simple fact is, I've never seen a game that looks or feels like lba1. It is unique in the world of gaming. Just one look at this game is enough to tell that it is a product of true vision. Here too I think the soundtrack is nothing short of amazing.

3) Silent Hill 4
Just an excellent horror game.
A game that really stays with you.

4) Deux Ex: Human Revolutions
Been a while since I've been excited over a game like this. One of the few games where the dialogue, voice acting and general directing wouldn't shame any Hollywood movie. Excellent gameplay as well.

5) Final Fantasy VIII
Can't think of much to say, just a really good game.

6) Grim Fandango
An amazing adventure. They just don't make 'em like this any more.

7) Silent Hill 2
A classic.

8) Fallout 3/New Vegas
I still remember the excitement when I realized just how much freedom I have in this game. A whole world to explore and an excellent character building system.

9) Pokemon R/B/Y
This game should be studied in school.

10) Mortal Kombat 2
Best sequel ever?

Honorary mentions:
Day of the tentacle
Duke Nukem 3D
Hotline Miami
Blackthorne
Commander Keen series
Old 2013-08-03, 21:21
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
My Top 10, as always are here:

http://www.rateoholic.co.uk/main/Rat...=hyb_down&ST=0

Only thing out of date/wrong is Portal 2 and Xenoblade needs to be there somewhere.
Pretty biased towards Action Adventures as you can see
Old 2013-08-03, 21:26
Magic Ball Master

I'm so glad to see someone who also voted for Ocarina of Time
Old 2013-08-07, 18:21
Pim! Pim!

1) LBA 1
2) LBA 2
3) portal 2
4) portal 1
5) skyrim
6) final fantasy 9
7) monkey island 2
8) minecraft
9) minesweeper
10) mario 64
Old 2013-08-07, 19:32
Polly parrot

You like Portal 2 better than Portal ?!
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide.../3153-Portal-2
Old 2013-08-07, 19:49
Magic Ball Master

Old 2013-08-07, 23:33
Previously Link

Ok, so I don't play much games these days, so these are mostly games that had a big impact on me during my childhood.

1) LBA2
2) Zelda - Ocarina Of Time
3) LBA1
4) Beyond Good & Evil
5) Grand Prix 2
6) RollerCoaster Tycoon
7) Tales of Monkey Island (I like the old Monkey Islands very much too, but that's how I discovered the serie)
8) Rayman 1 (actually, that's a mod of Rayman 1 that was meant to teach English to kids in a fun way, it completely failed at that but was a very fun game)
9) Minecraft
10) Team Fortress 2