Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > News
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

News Discuss the news posted on the MBN here

Old 2010-04-03, 02:17
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_Hollywood View Post
The problem with those jokes is that there's always someone that has to point out how sharp he is and why this is a hoax, ruining it for others that might've not noticed the date.
True.

---

However, who in here has noticed that my screenshot of Fred's email was NOT a complete hoax?

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2010-04-03, 09:03
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Got me entirely. Nice job.

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2010-04-04, 07:56
the legend

(Just to clarify now the joke is over, the only fake part of the Fred email I posted was the line about Time Commando.
All the rest, 100% authentic Fred's words.)

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2010-04-11, 20:29
Lemonhead

DAMN YOU EL!! Didn't see that date.

It'd be awesome if this was what Fred was actually working on, though.
Old 2010-04-13, 18:41
Polly parrot

Actually, what kind of game was time commando ? Was it good ? I never tried it...
Old 2010-04-17, 05:17
eat me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarKid View Post
Just because it isn't LBA3 you all don't have to go ranting that it's a joke.
i remember a april fools joke where elmuerte did a LBA joke and happened the same thing "happy then you see april 1st and you become damn it was a joke.
Old 2010-08-04, 19:34
First time poster

I've read this a long time ago..

A even longer time ago i was also on this board but with another nickname. (could be 10 years ago or something) Since i don't remember the password and i don't even use the e-mail address belonging to it anymore, i registred with another "new" name.

And today i've saw this "news" on the frontpage again and my first trought was:"YES YES! Could it be for real now?! This might not be LBA3 but i always loved Time commando!"

Too bad.... Comes down to it that there isn't just any news about Frederick Raynal anymore since the first of april and that was a cruel joke. I always come back here every once in a while to read if the man is working on some new games but it seems most games he will be making today are for the casual gamers. (Such as puzzle games). And don't get me wrong but that really sucks...

Also kind of funny, because i am following a education program in Game design and i always think it would be awesome to work in the game industry after graduation in about half a year. But even we have to create games for casual gamers most of the time. (And also serious games/Facebook games). The game market is going to that direction more and more...

I really have a lot of respect for all the people who are still on these boards. It seems they never lose their hope on a new LBA game. But when you get older i guess to start to realise that this isn't going to happen anymore. I mean even the new duke nukem game hasn't launched yet and they are working on it since forever and switched game engine twice or so. And the production of a new LBA game hasn't even started yet. Also games like LBA are really rare these days and i doubt if there ever will be a big enough audience for it.

Yes this thread is old, but then again which one on these board aren't?
Old 2010-08-04, 20:18
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Most of the activity/interest has switched to making our own LBA games. Theres been some amazing work done, well beyond the pie-in-the-sky hopes of a decade ago.

I mean, we got mod tools that can actualy be used to make new levels. An fully functional (but currently mostly empty) mmo style game, a prequal project, a scripting engine for making lba style games.
Some of the work done over the last year or so has been very impressive. You should check it out

As for hope for an official LBA3, it mostly rests for me with at some point video game development being so easy that a LBA3 could be made for a fraction of the cost of a typical game today. This should be possible, as long as we dont all obsessive over realism/detail. Maybe much like Monkey Island came back we will get a new LBA game in the end.

And yes, sadly LBA like games are few and far between. Action Adventure is a really under-served genre. Aside from BG&E2 (if that ever comes) the only other one on the horizon I can think of is the Okami sequal for the DS. (and even then that isnt that much like LBA)
Old 2010-08-07, 18:10
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
replaying lba2 this week made me realize that lba3 would never work these days. and even if they somehow would make it, it'd have to be so different from it's original spirit it would hardly be recognizable as an lba game.
Old 2010-08-07, 18:25
Party animal

replaying lba2 this week made me realize that lba3 would never work these days. and even if they somehow would make it, it'd have to be so different from it's original spirit it would hardly be recognizable as an lba game.

^
^
unless ofcourse they actually make the game solely for the sake of the fans,
i don't know how often that happens, could be i suppose
Old 2010-08-07, 19:31
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin View Post
Can you motivate that? I assume you mean different as in game-play (not graphics). But still you have to explain yourself about why the game-play of games can't be like the ones for LBA1/2.

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2010-08-07, 19:46
Party animal

i said "the spirit" of lba, meaning the atmosphere and style.
it's nothing hard to understand. just like there's no way that "the brady bunch" or "i dream of jeannie" would work today, so will lba seem irrelevant.

i wasn't talking about the game play.
gameplay in action adventure hasn't really changed that much except for the introduction of mouse-contro and hotkeys.
Old 2010-08-07, 20:12
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
BG&E was very close to LBA's atmosphere, imho.
Old 2010-08-07, 20:58
Party animal

I haven't played it, but that too isn't that recent.

I'd be interested to play it though, it could be a good example of what a modern lba game would be like.
Old 2010-08-07, 21:41
Classic

Its as close as I think you'll find today.
Faster paced and more stealth bits, but thematically and stylistically the closest to LBA I've seen.
Old 2010-08-07, 21:45
Magic Ball Master

I'd settle for a halfway decent Deus Ex sequel...DE2 was pretty meh. The new one looks pretty but it's definitely a "wait and see."