Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > The site and forum
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The site and forum Place your comments about the Magic Ball Network here. Talk here about the Magicball Network and the forum.

Old 2006-05-16, 13:49
.II

Send a message via MSN to .TakaM
Signatures

I dont mean to be spamming or nagging, I just think my topic was closed without letting anyone really express their opinion.

it was locked with the reason to help out dialup users. really when I was on dialup signatures barely took any loading because since the images are seen as often as smilies theyre loaded from the cache, not downloaded each time. plus the 90's are over its time websites stopped catering for dialup users

again I dont mean to be causing any trouble by making this topic again, i just think everyone shouldve been able to say what they thought about enabling images in sigs.
Old 2006-05-16, 14:23
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
I propose the signatures stay the same, but the avatars get wider again! There's loads of space for the avatars to get wider, and as .TakaM says, we should stop catering for dialup users! If they have dial-up then they should be used to their slow speed, if they want pages to load faster maybe they should buy a faster one.
Old 2006-05-16, 14:25
.II

yes, most major websites have flash banners and ads that change every single day without giving dialup users a chance for anything to be stored into their cache. a forum is really the least of their worries if not one of the most dialup friendly places on the internet.
Old 2006-05-16, 15:47
Zebrazilla

Let's just keep it as it is, it's better for all that way. Conservatism rules!

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2006-05-16, 16:29
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
It was obviously closed because this question was asked many times. If you search the forum, you'll find many similar threads. And the answer was always no, so unless you can come up with an argument better than the ones suggested in the previous threads, it will most likely stay the same.
Old 2006-05-16, 16:36
What is this place?

Send a message via ICQ to Atresica Send a message via AIM to Atresica Send a message via MSN to Atresica
There is absolutely no reason at all why this forum needs to be messed up by some badly photoshopped banner of your website or your nickname.

I've seen how bad forums can become because of the massive amounts of space wasted on banners and long signitures.

The answer, thus, is no.
Old 2006-05-16, 17:20

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
I really hate those things.
Old 2006-05-16, 19:08
Tomorrow burns!

Send a message via MSN to Illumina
People should make their own signatures and banners, no matter if they borrow them or not. Luckily there are fewer who can do their do their banners than those who borrow them anyway.

But really, I agree with Atresica. Who cares about random pictures appearing after every member's post?
Old 2006-05-16, 19:13
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
It doesn't make any difference to me. Texts can say things pictures can't and viceversa.
Old 2006-05-16, 20:13
Still in a dream...

Keep it how it is.
Old 2006-05-16, 20:28
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Quote:
Originally Posted by .TakaM
enabling images in sigs.
I agree they should be enabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atresica
There is absolutely no reason at all why this forum needs to be messed up by some badly photoshopped banner of your website or your nickname.

I've seen how bad forums can become because of the massive amounts of space wasted on banners and long signitures.

The answer, thus, is no.
Give me one good example of a forum, which loks bad because of the images in sigs. I bet you can't. Now I can give good examples of forums, which do NOT look bad because of the images in sigs.
Here you go: my forum, the Ring Forum, DieHard Wolfers Forum, the RINGS Communities forum, and the Polish Ring Forum (Polski Ring Forum), for example, all have images in sigs enabled, and yet they never experienced any problems with that.
And note, that I'm registered on many more forums that have images in sigs enabled, than the 5 above-mentioned ones, and they never experienced any problems with that.

So I thin the images in sigs should be enabled, unless there are really, I mean damn really, I mean "OMG, we're all gonna die" really good reasons not to.

Also, I remember you were the one talking about the MBN being a free, pot-smoking, democreatic forum, some time ago. But yet I see that some things, e.g. the images in sigs, has been requested by SEVERAL people, SEVERAL times, and more people requested them than said no to them, but yet the answer has always been no.
Now, could you, please, tell me where is the democracy here? Because I see here, that the people's opinion doesn't really get listened to that often. And not only about the images in sigs, but also about certain other things, such as smilies. How many times did the people, even Super-Moderators, request El_Murte to change the smilies? I think so many, that I can't even count them. But yet we still have the same smilies.
So sorry, but I don't agree with the way requests are being dealt with here. Of course, I know I might as well be wrong on some points here, since I haven't been here before April 7th, 2004, but still, I think people's opinions should be considered sometimes.

Don't take what I said here as a flame - take it merely as me expressing my opinion.
Old 2006-05-16, 20:44
Master of Science & Magic

besides the fact that I don't really like image sigantures there is an issue of control
it's hard to control the sizes and content of images
it's hard to control the reliability of the image hosts

maybe if there was a vbulletin hack that would allow hosted signature (like the avatars) I would consider it.
Old 2006-05-16, 20:57
Do the evolution.

I think it's a nice idea, but I think they should have their size restricted, to like one length of a normal banner and two hights of it. But if you have an image in your sig, you could not have more than a certain amount of of letters beside it, not to make it messy. It's a nice way to express yourself I think, as long as the rules state that they can't be any sort of advertisment of things non LBA related or something.
Old 2006-05-16, 21:00
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Muerte
maybe if there was a vbulletin hack that would allow hosted signature (like the avatars) I would consider it.
There's a mod, called "Photo Album". It exists for both phpBB2 and vBulletin. I have the phpBB2 version of it installed on my forum, and it works perfectly.
There are also various "File sharing" mods, which you can personalize as you wish.
Old 2006-05-16, 21:00
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
that's still no excuse for double wide avatars.
Old 2006-05-16, 21:50
.II

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Muerte
besides the fact that I don't really like image sigantures there is an issue of control
it's hard to control the sizes and content of images
it's hard to control the reliability of the image hosts

couldnt we just attatch our desired signatures in say a "signature topic" here and use those images URL?

plus at other forums I go to, my avatar has been on imageshack for the last 2 years I believe
Old 2006-05-16, 22:13
What is this place?

Send a message via ICQ to Atresica Send a message via AIM to Atresica Send a message via MSN to Atresica
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBrasilo
I agree they should be enabled.
Give me one good example of a forum, which loks bad because of the images in sigs. I bet you can't.
Why oh why must fate tempt me:
http://forums.narutofan.com/showthread.php?t=99421
http://forums.narutofan.com/showthread.php?t=99399
http://forums.narutofan.com/showthread.php?t=72250

Just a few examples.

Granted, that's a control issue. But that is what this whole deal is about.

Quote:
Also, I remember you were the one talking about the MBN being a free, pot-smoking, democreatic forum, some time ago. But yet I see that some things, e.g. the images in sigs, has been requested by SEVERAL people, SEVERAL times, and more people requested them than said no to them, but yet the answer has always been no.
Free? yes. Potsmoking? occasionally. Democratic? Sure, regarding NEW issues, not issues that have been posted and mentioned sooo often and are in generally posts by people who have been here about a week and think they rule the place already.

I think it is also interesting to see that
a) The avarage age of those requesting it, is 14. Not quite the age where most boys are responsible enough to request things other than "cool stuff".
b) There is no B
c) In total, I think only about 5 people have requested and agreed so far. With at least just as many people opposing it.

Quote:
Now, could you, please, tell me where is the democracy here?
Well, technically speaking, forums aren't a democracy.

Quote:
Because I see here, that the people's opinion doesn't really get listened to that often. And not only about the images in sigs, but also about certain other things, such as smilies. How many times did the people, even Super-Moderators, request El_Murte to change the smilies? I think so many, that I can't even count them. But yet we still have the same smilies.
I don't think that was an issue of disagreement, I think that was an issue of having too little time or not being able to. I'd say, rerequest, because I cannot remember any post saying a clear 'no' to new smileys.

Quote:
So sorry, but I don't agree with the way requests are being dealt with here. Of course, I know I might as well be wrong on some points here, since I haven't been here before April 7th, 2004, but still, I think people's opinions should be considered sometimes.
'Considering' means something different than 'discarded'. We have always considered new ideas. It just sometimes happens that a) we don't agree with them, b) the question has been asked too many times c) it technically isn't possible.

Quote:
Don't take what I said here as a flame - take it merely as me expressing my opinion.
OMG HOW DARE U CRITISISISNG ME! UR JUST JELOUS OF MY TALENTS!!!!11!!
Old 2006-05-16, 22:22
.II

i dont really understand what the control issue is?
cant the admins change user's sigs here like every other forum?
or like many forums through in limits that will automatically cut sigs off if theyre a bit too big?

and about images making forums look ugly, personally, these forums have the most ugly sigs I know of. no offence to anyone, but theres too much ascii, too many fonts, too many colours and too many different sizes

thats the sig i want to use here :P (best viewed in firefox (there cant be any IE users here, can there?))
Old 2006-05-16, 22:36
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
here's the thing : personally I don't like the idea because it makes the forum look unorganised , messy and it's hard to read , plus all those images in the signatures make this like a site full of banners . BUT it doesn't matter what I think , but what the majority likes , so if there are 51%+ users who want this , it should be granted . I really don't understand the concept of "I am the moderator and if you don't like it **** my **** !!! " cause even if I am a moderator and I don't like something , but the users want it , I will obay
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2006-05-16, 22:45
Master of Science & Magic

.TakaM: that image would exceed the limits I had in mind, I was more thinking of a max of 500x80 or 600x100
Old 2006-05-17, 00:30

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
I LOATHE in-sig pictures!

It's nice to see the picture once, but when they start re-appearing over and over and over again on the same thread, I get a head ache. Plus, there's all this extra scrolling that I have to do and when you add up all of that extra space, it's quite a lot of scrolling

Saying this just in case I've not already expressed my hatred for the picture signitures.
Old 2006-05-17, 00:38
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Give me one good example of a forum, which loks bad because of the images in sigs. I bet you can't. Now I can give good examples of forums, which do NOT look bad because of the images in sigs.
lol subjective argument.

I also disagree with allowing images in sigs, control issue or not, because it's plain annoying. Yet more elements added to each thread which need to be mentally blocked out while reading a thread.

My intuition when viewing a thread on an 'images in signatures enabled forum' is that the people are randomly and repeatedly posting images in a thread.

imo sigs should be 3 to 5 lines max, small font and black text only. But I don't mind the way they are now, especially with the in-sig scrollbars.
Old 2006-05-17, 01:07
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
I've always been open to this idea, but let us remember that forum discussion is esentially about text communication, not about fancy photoshop pics. It often makes things messy, and we've got graphic avatars that we are free to style after our desires. I guess that is enough.

Why was that other thread closed? Do we have censorship on forbidden thoughts...?

Btw, I support rebels like TakaM who go around our rules by making nice colorful txt art . Much nicer than pics of naked women that you see all idiots in many forums have in their signature. Double-J also highlighted this with his sarcastic comment:

Quote:
Yes, I'd love to share some of my choices photos of naked women with the rest of the MBN!
That sums it up well.
Old 2006-05-17, 01:16
Idot

Send a message via ICQ to Aule
If there are to be pics in signatures, you hsould be able to turn them off, and whats the big deal with a signature pic anyway? If a pic is fun, post it in some thread, because its not fun after you have seen it 82 times.
Old 2006-05-17, 05:33
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
Quote:
Originally Posted by .TakaM
thats the sig i want to use here :P (best viewed in firefox (there cant be any IE users here, can there?))
And best blocked with AdBlock. And will be if you keep using it.