Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 2008-05-06, 19:29
ChaosFish ChaosFish is offline
weee
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Viking Mothership, Living Quarters
Posts: 21,212
c#357-G: A new surveillance device is now operating in the city

Today is "memorial day" in Israel. Soldiers die, they deserve respect, etc. etc.

But what's absolutely funny about this day is the one-minute alarm, aired from helicopters around the country, in which everyone must stop whatever it is they're doing and stand still for one minute. People actually stop their car in the middle of the road to come out and stand still for one minute. And then, without saying a word, they go back about their day, as if the last minute didn't happen at all.

I couldn't help but imagine someone who decides to move anyway, and then a strange yellow machine locks down on them and start shooting them to death.

Anyhoo, I always go all like "what the heck, I'll walk anyway". But then people starts looking at me like I'm a weirdo (a fact I'm usually trying to hide), and then ok... I'm standing anyway. Meh.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2008-05-06, 19:34
Kobold's Avatar
Kobold Kobold is offline
Magic Ball Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 7,337
We have plenty of memorial days around the year of various kinds, but nobody forces us to do anything.

I don't think forced silence is worth anything. Just ask elmuerte.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2008-05-06, 19:36
ChaosFish ChaosFish is offline
weee
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Viking Mothership, Living Quarters
Posts: 21,212
It's not forced, there aren't laws requiring you to stand still. It's just everybody does that, it just feels like that scene from LBA1.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2008-05-06, 19:39
Kobold's Avatar
Kobold Kobold is offline
Magic Ball Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 7,337
Peer pressure is as "enforcing" as law is.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2008-05-06, 19:44
Kitarii's Avatar
Kitarii Kitarii is offline
You what?!
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London, UK
Posts: 6,730
We have stuff like two minutes silence in school sometimes.
Everyone usually just stands still, no point trying to make a fuss.
Not like it achieves anything, but I guess it's just to remember so it does work.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2008-05-06, 20:02
elmuerte's Avatar
elmuerte elmuerte is offline
Master of Science & Magic
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 8,882
memorial day? more like hypocrisy day
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2008-05-06, 20:03
Reek's Avatar
Reek Reek is offline
Party animal
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: israel
Posts: 9,487
Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmuerte
memorial day? more like hypocrisy day
i can't wait to hear the logic behind this comment

come, share with us your criticism on this matter you know nothing about.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist
there's no room for subtleties, which are so important in personalities such as mine.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2008-05-06, 20:09
ChaosFish ChaosFish is offline
weee
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Viking Mothership, Living Quarters
Posts: 21,212
Let me make a guess: It's hypocrisy because the Israeli military is in fact a group of devilish killers who spread terror and murder helpless Muslim people for fun.
(And the Israeli army has nothing to do with protecting lives of Israeli citizens / Any civilized country would stand still and let its citizen get eaten instead of taking military actions)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2008-05-06, 20:34
LBAWinOwns's Avatar
LBAWinOwns LBAWinOwns is offline
Magic Ball Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5,571
Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Soldiers that die might deserve respect, perhaps if they die to preserve democracy (or any other good cause); I don't think warfare over which ancient religion book is correct makes one battle for a good cause.

However, if the soldiers was forced to go to war, I guess you can keep a silent minute for all the poor souls. Which are forced to do horrible things, die in hunger, born with diseases. etc.


Grieving in general isn't right either, I'm not winning anything on it, and definitely does not the badly favored suffering people get any aid from my pointless one minute of silent.
__________________

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2008-05-06, 20:54
Quetch's Avatar
Quetch Quetch is offline
Twinsunian Quetch
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Citadel Island
Posts: 4,475
Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
lol since I am currently playing Beyond Good and Evil, the thread's title and the whole surveillance cam idea seems ... Alpha-Section like if u've played, you'll know
__________________
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 2008-05-06, 21:02
Kitarii's Avatar
Kitarii Kitarii is offline
You what?!
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London, UK
Posts: 6,730
How about the thread title seems LBA-like?
Did you not play LBA1 yet?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 2008-05-06, 22:09
Kobold's Avatar
Kobold Kobold is offline
Magic Ball Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 7,337
Seriously, this is one of the very first lines you hear in the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Big Adventure\Relentless quote #42
ANNOUNCEMENT #357-G: A new automatic surveillance device is now operating in the city. All citizens must remain motionless if one of these devices is in their vicinity.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 2008-05-06, 23:02
ChaosFish ChaosFish is offline
weee
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Viking Mothership, Living Quarters
Posts: 21,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAWinOwns View Post
Grieving in general isn't right either, I'm not winning anything on it, and definitely does not the badly favored suffering people get any aid from my pointless one minute of silent.
I don't do those forced grieving things if I don't have to. Grieving is only of use of you actually knew personally the people that died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAWinOwns View Post
Soldiers that die might deserve respect, perhaps if they die to preserve democracy (or any other good cause); I don't think warfare over which ancient religion book is correct makes one battle for a good cause.
I hope you don't seriously think Israeli Military gives a crap about religion. It's not the Jewish military or something. **

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAWinOwns View Post
However, if the soldiers was forced to go to war, I guess you can keep a silent minute for all the poor souls. Which are forced to do horrible things, die in hunger, born with diseases. etc.
?
Does not compute.

** Why do I keep defend Israel? I don't even feel like I'm a part of this country. Don't really even like this place much. But I guess it annoys me whenever someone says something so stupid, that would result in me personally being dead if it was up to him. No Israeli soldiers fighting = all Israeli people you might know (from say, the Internet) are dead within months. Just consider it next time before you say something stupid.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 2008-05-06, 23:21
Echomote's Avatar
Echomote Echomote is offline
a well established member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Portsmouth, UK
Posts: 3,487
Send a message via MSN to Echomote
Quote:
Does not compute.
it's his way of saying "If the above is wrong, I take it all back."
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 2008-05-06, 23:33
elmuerte's Avatar
elmuerte elmuerte is offline
Master of Science & Magic
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 8,882
people don't remember the "fallen", they don't remember they cause for which they died...

actually remember is the wrong word. In those few minutes of silence people think about different things, etc.

dead people are not capable of receiving respect, people that they left behind are also not valid receivers of said respect because it was not their life that was lost.

also, for most people it was their duty and employees. nobody does the same thing for people in different jobs where the lose their lives (and I'm not even talking about police men, firemen, etc,...). Don't they deserve the same "respect"?

going back to the people that are remembered during memorial day, why not take a lesson from it. apparently fighting didn't solve the problem the first and second time, why would it solve the problem the 8th time?

etc...

the whole "memorial day" stuff is nothing more than a social event
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 2008-05-06, 23:42
ChaosFish ChaosFish is offline
weee
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Viking Mothership, Living Quarters
Posts: 21,212
Ah, I agree, mostly.

*note to self: be less on edge
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 2008-05-07, 00:06
Zerath^'s Avatar
Zerath^ Zerath^ is offline
Father of Shoda
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,395
I think its a good thing to have a silent minute, because even if you yourself doesn't know the person/persons there might be others around you knowing them and being in such a pain. By having a silent minute you don't only respect the dead person/persons but also the person/persons that knew him/her/them. And as Elmuerte said, take a lesson from it and be a better person yourself since for all we know, we only live one life.
__________________
There is no spoon, just a fork .


Listen to my band's EP on one of the following links!

Check it out:
https://soundcloud.com/inglorious-da...orious-days-ep
http://ingloriousdays.bandcamp.com/
http://open.spotify.com/album/3C1idn10yT06VK0qPiusku
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 2008-05-07, 00:24
Axx's Avatar
Axx Axx is offline
The return of
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,677
A minute if silence is not about the remembrance of soldiers more so as it is a show of support/sympathy for the politics/cause that ultimately caused their death imo.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 2008-05-07, 01:17
Homeless's Avatar
Homeless Homeless is offline
Zebrazilla
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,064
Surveillance, mayhn! It's everywhere, mayhn! Put on the tinfoil hats and turn on your mindguards!
__________________

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 2008-05-07, 10:46
Streg's Avatar
Streg Streg is offline
Or Emi (was StreGGy)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Italy (Citadel Island)
Posts: 5,430
Send a message via MSN to Streg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
I don't think forced silence is worth anything.
agree
__________________
YouTube channel:
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 2008-05-07, 17:00
Double-J's Avatar
Double-J Double-J is offline
Magic Ball Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 15,411
Darn. I thought this was going to be a thread about public surveillance cameras.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 2008-05-07, 18:05
LBAWinOwns's Avatar
LBAWinOwns LBAWinOwns is offline
Magic Ball Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5,571
Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
I hope you don't seriously think Israeli Military gives a crap about religion. It's not the Jewish military or something. **
No, I don't think the army is directly bound to any religion. But I do know that if the Torah wouldn't mention any reunion at Jerusalem, Jews wouldn't be so eager to with violence capture Jerusalem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAWinOwns View Post
However, if the soldiers was forced to go to war, I guess you can keep a silent minute for all the poor souls. Which are forced to do horrible things, die in hunger, born with diseases. etc.
?
Does not compute.

** Why do I keep defend Israel? I don't even feel like I'm a part of this country. Don't really even like this place much. But I guess it annoys me whenever someone says something so stupid, that would result in me personally being dead if it was up to him. No Israeli soldiers fighting = all Israeli people you might know (from say, the Internet) are dead within months. Just consider it next time before you say something stupid.
What the hell are you trying to say?

Isn't there soldiers that are forced to go to war? Isn't there any world hunger? Isn't there any diseases?!


You can't just assume I said 'Israeli should put down all weapons and do nothing in self defense' if I didn't say it! In fact, where the hell did I even mention Israel in that sentence you quoted?!
__________________

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 2008-05-07, 18:35
Kobold's Avatar
Kobold Kobold is offline
Magic Ball Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 7,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
Darn. I thought this was going to be a thread about public surveillance cameras.
Feel free to start one.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 2008-05-07, 19:16
ChaosFish ChaosFish is offline
weee
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Viking Mothership, Living Quarters
Posts: 21,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAWinOwns View Post
No, I don't think the army is directly bound to any religion. But I do know that if the Torah wouldn't mention any reunion at Jerusalem, Jews wouldn't be so eager to with violence capture Jerusalem.
Yep, stupid Jeresulem. Things would be much better if Jerusalem would sink down the ocean (just... move the people away from there first), that would break all the stupid religious nonsense and maybe Israel would stop being "holy land", which would be awesome.

Btw, Jerusalem is one ugly place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAWinOwns View Post
What the hell are you trying to say?

Isn't there soldiers that are forced to go to war? Isn't there any world hunger? Isn't there any diseases?!
All I was saying to this is "Does not compute." because I didn't understand your sentence
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAWinOwns View Post
You can't just assume I said 'Israeli should put down all weapons and do nothing in self defense' if I didn't say it! In fact, where the hell did I even mention Israel in that sentence you quoted?!
You're right, I apologize.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 2008-05-07, 20:51
Rex_Hollywood's Avatar
Rex_Hollywood Rex_Hollywood is offline
Idyllic + whimsical
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Near the core, where it's still warm
Posts: 12,101
lol Eurofags.
__________________
Rex_Hollywood - Not changing signatures since 2001!
"Ignorance is bliss" (Cypher, 'The Matrix')
"If ignorance is bliss then wipe the smile off my face" (Rage Against The Machine)
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Proxima City Bot13 The Relentless Movie project 69 2007-02-27 15:59
real cloaking device? Echomote Off topic 14 2006-10-20 16:09
World record in my city! Illumina Off topic 5 2004-04-12 09:25
Has anybody got into the city, and the graveyard with the car in LBA 2? bunnyrabbot02 First aid 9 2002-09-02 15:16
A locker, an elf & an alarm device... Dark Eyedol The Relentless Movie project 25 2002-03-21 18:15


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:52.


News Feed
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, the Magicball Network