Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2008-05-06, 19:29
weee

c#357-G: A new surveillance device is now operating in the city

Today is "memorial day" in Israel. Soldiers die, they deserve respect, etc. etc.

But what's absolutely funny about this day is the one-minute alarm, aired from helicopters around the country, in which everyone must stop whatever it is they're doing and stand still for one minute. People actually stop their car in the middle of the road to come out and stand still for one minute. And then, without saying a word, they go back about their day, as if the last minute didn't happen at all.

I couldn't help but imagine someone who decides to move anyway, and then a strange yellow machine locks down on them and start shooting them to death.

Anyhoo, I always go all like "what the heck, I'll walk anyway". But then people starts looking at me like I'm a weirdo (a fact I'm usually trying to hide), and then ok... I'm standing anyway. Meh.
Old 2008-05-06, 19:34
Magic Ball Master

We have plenty of memorial days around the year of various kinds, but nobody forces us to do anything.

I don't think forced silence is worth anything. Just ask elmuerte.
Old 2008-05-06, 19:36
weee

It's not forced, there aren't laws requiring you to stand still. It's just everybody does that, it just feels like that scene from LBA1.
Old 2008-05-06, 19:39
Magic Ball Master

Peer pressure is as "enforcing" as law is.
Old 2008-05-06, 19:44
You what?!

We have stuff like two minutes silence in school sometimes.
Everyone usually just stands still, no point trying to make a fuss.
Not like it achieves anything, but I guess it's just to remember so it does work.
Old 2008-05-06, 20:02
Master of Science & Magic

memorial day? more like hypocrisy day
Old 2008-05-06, 20:03
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmuerte
memorial day? more like hypocrisy day
i can't wait to hear the logic behind this comment

come, share with us your criticism on this matter you know nothing about.
Old 2008-05-06, 20:09
weee

Let me make a guess: It's hypocrisy because the Israeli military is in fact a group of devilish killers who spread terror and murder helpless Muslim people for fun.
(And the Israeli army has nothing to do with protecting lives of Israeli citizens / Any civilized country would stand still and let its citizen get eaten instead of taking military actions)
Old 2008-05-06, 20:34
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Soldiers that die might deserve respect, perhaps if they die to preserve democracy (or any other good cause); I don't think warfare over which ancient religion book is correct makes one battle for a good cause.

However, if the soldiers was forced to go to war, I guess you can keep a silent minute for all the poor souls. Which are forced to do horrible things, die in hunger, born with diseases. etc.

Grieving in general isn't right either, I'm not winning anything on it, and definitely does not the badly favored suffering people get any aid from my pointless one minute of silent.

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2008-05-06, 20:54
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
lol since I am currently playing Beyond Good and Evil, the thread's title and the whole surveillance cam idea seems ... Alpha-Section like if u've played, you'll know
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2008-05-06, 21:02
You what?!

How about the thread title seems LBA-like?
Did you not play LBA1 yet?
Old 2008-05-06, 22:09
Magic Ball Master

Seriously, this is one of the very first lines you hear in the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Big Adventure\Relentless quote #42
ANNOUNCEMENT #357-G: A new automatic surveillance device is now operating in the city. All citizens must remain motionless if one of these devices is in their vicinity.
Old 2008-05-06, 23:02
weee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAWinOwns View Post
Grieving in general isn't right either, I'm not winning anything on it, and definitely does not the badly favored suffering people get any aid from my pointless one minute of silent.
I don't do those forced grieving things if I don't have to. Grieving is only of use of you actually knew personally the people that died.

Quote:
Soldiers that die might deserve respect, perhaps if they die to preserve democracy (or any other good cause); I don't think warfare over which ancient religion book is correct makes one battle for a good cause.
I hope you don't seriously think Israeli Military gives a crap about religion. It's not the Jewish military or something. **

Quote:
However, if the soldiers was forced to go to war, I guess you can keep a silent minute for all the poor souls. Which are forced to do horrible things, die in hunger, born with diseases. etc.
?
Does not compute.

** Why do I keep defend Israel? I don't even feel like I'm a part of this country. Don't really even like this place much. But I guess it annoys me whenever someone says something so stupid, that would result in me personally being dead if it was up to him. No Israeli soldiers fighting = all Israeli people you might know (from say, the Internet) are dead within months. Just consider it next time before you say something stupid.
Old 2008-05-06, 23:21
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
Quote:
Does not compute.
it's his way of saying "If the above is wrong, I take it all back."
Old 2008-05-06, 23:33
Master of Science & Magic

people don't remember the "fallen", they don't remember they cause for which they died...

actually remember is the wrong word. In those few minutes of silence people think about different things, etc.

dead people are not capable of receiving respect, people that they left behind are also not valid receivers of said respect because it was not their life that was lost.

also, for most people it was their duty and employees. nobody does the same thing for people in different jobs where the lose their lives (and I'm not even talking about police men, firemen, etc,...). Don't they deserve the same "respect"?

going back to the people that are remembered during memorial day, why not take a lesson from it. apparently fighting didn't solve the problem the first and second time, why would it solve the problem the 8th time?

etc...

the whole "memorial day" stuff is nothing more than a social event
Old 2008-05-06, 23:42
weee

Ah, I agree, mostly.

*note to self: be less on edge
Old 2008-05-07, 00:06
Father of Shoda

I think its a good thing to have a silent minute, because even if you yourself doesn't know the person/persons there might be others around you knowing them and being in such a pain. By having a silent minute you don't only respect the dead person/persons but also the person/persons that knew him/her/them. And as Elmuerte said, take a lesson from it and be a better person yourself since for all we know, we only live one life.

Listen to my band's EP on one of the following links!

Check it out:
https://soundcloud.com/inglorious-da...orious-days-ep
http://ingloriousdays.bandcamp.com/
http://open.spotify.com/album/3C1idn10yT06VK0qPiusku
Old 2008-05-07, 00:24
The return of

A minute if silence is not about the remembrance of soldiers more so as it is a show of support/sympathy for the politics/cause that ultimately caused their death imo.
Old 2008-05-07, 01:17
Zebrazilla

Surveillance, mayhn! It's everywhere, mayhn! Put on the tinfoil hats and turn on your mindguards!

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2008-05-07, 10:46
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
I don't think forced silence is worth anything.
agree
Old 2008-05-07, 17:00
Magic Ball Master

Darn. I thought this was going to be a thread about public surveillance cameras.
Old 2008-05-07, 18:05
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
I hope you don't seriously think Israeli Military gives a crap about religion. It's not the Jewish military or something. **
No, I don't think the army is directly bound to any religion. But I do know that if the Torah wouldn't mention any reunion at Jerusalem, Jews wouldn't be so eager to with violence capture Jerusalem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Quote:
?
Does not compute.

** Why do I keep defend Israel? I don't even feel like I'm a part of this country. Don't really even like this place much. But I guess it annoys me whenever someone says something so stupid, that would result in me personally being dead if it was up to him. No Israeli soldiers fighting = all Israeli people you might know (from say, the Internet) are dead within months. Just consider it next time before you say something stupid.
What the hell are you trying to say?

Isn't there soldiers that are forced to go to war? Isn't there any world hunger? Isn't there any diseases?!

You can't just assume I said 'Israeli should put down all weapons and do nothing in self defense' if I didn't say it! In fact, where the hell did I even mention Israel in that sentence you quoted?!

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2008-05-07, 18:35
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
Darn. I thought this was going to be a thread about public surveillance cameras.
Feel free to start one.
Old 2008-05-07, 19:16
weee

Quote:
No, I don't think the army is directly bound to any religion. But I do know that if the Torah wouldn't mention any reunion at Jerusalem, Jews wouldn't be so eager to with violence capture Jerusalem.
Yep, stupid Jeresulem. Things would be much better if Jerusalem would sink down the ocean (just... move the people away from there first), that would break all the stupid religious nonsense and maybe Israel would stop being "holy land", which would be awesome.

Btw, Jerusalem is one ugly place.
Quote:
What the hell are you trying to say?

Isn't there soldiers that are forced to go to war? Isn't there any world hunger? Isn't there any diseases?!
All I was saying to this is "Does not compute." because I didn't understand your sentence
Quote:
You can't just assume I said 'Israeli should put down all weapons and do nothing in self defense' if I didn't say it! In fact, where the hell did I even mention Israel in that sentence you quoted?!
You're right, I apologize.
Old 2008-05-07, 20:51
Idyllic + whimsical

lol Eurofags.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)