Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2011-12-09, 18:11
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
It wasn't locked on, either. If you use the button combination I indicated, you are not locked in (you can aim freely with the Wiimote) while being able to move Link freely with the analog stick. As a bonus, you can still execute the lock-on evades, which is useful against the enemies with projectiles.
Ah, so with IR then. That was my confusion was I was thinking you meant just with the buttons/sticks.
Yes, I'm all in favour of that sort of aiming.
Old 2011-12-09, 18:19
Magic Ball Master

Agreed, to me that really is the best way of utilizing the current state of motion controls.
Old 2011-12-09, 19:05
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Well, always seems obvious to me.
Anything you need to point at - use IR
Anything that needs to be rotated (ie, sword, bat, club) - use gyro
Anything that needs to be moved about - use stick.

Accelerometers are only really good for "pushing" actions that require speed-sensing. So, bowling works as its a combination of angle and speed.
However, there isnt that many use's for them left now that Gyro's have superseeded them in accuracy. (other then, that is, using them to calibrate the gyros.....)

I think motion controls most often fail when a company just use's them to replace what could have been a button. The whole point for me is they should be used for analogue senseing of a certain type of movement that cant be done easily with a stick.
Old 2011-12-10, 02:19
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Well, always seems obvious to me.
Anything you need to point at - use IR
Anything that needs to be rotated (ie, sword, bat, club) - use gyro
Anything that needs to be moved about - use stick.

Accelerometers are only really good for "pushing" actions that require speed-sensing. So, bowling works as its a combination of angle and speed.
However, there isnt that many use's for them left now that Gyro's have superseeded them in accuracy. (other then, that is, using them to calibrate the gyros.....)

I think motion controls most often fail when a company just use's them to replace what could have been a button. The whole point for me is they should be used for analogue senseing of a certain type of movement that cant be done easily with a stick.
I still contend that The Godfather on the Wii is the most intuitive motion game I've played to-date. Largely overshadowed by its 360/PS3 counterpart, the motion controls are quite intuitive. If you want to punch, you swing the Wiimote and nunchucku. If you want to aim with IR, you hold down Z and aim with the Wiimote and fire with B. You garrote with a garrote motion, you choke with a choke motion, swing a bat with a swinging motion, etc. Sure, it does replace buttons, but it does so in an intuitive way rather than, say, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, which forces the user to make several asinine, unimaginative sweeps, thrusts, and gestures with the Wiimote to execute what could be accomplished with a simple button press.
Old 2011-12-10, 12:54
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Apparently, you can use the control stick for dialogue options, I did so by accident once. For everything else, it seems to be a bit of a hit or miss to be honest.
Some people (like me) really enjoy how motion controls are implemented in this game, some others are frustrated by it, it seems to be a personal thing. Yeah, while I think they could have used the IR sensor for aiming I don't find myself bothered at all by how they work at the moment, not even the occasional recentering bothers me, really don't know why. I got used to it quickly enough, it feels kind of like... aiming with a mouse on PC?

Regarding shield durability, I really liked it. Maybe it doesn't make sense for the concept of durability itself in a Zelda game, but let's talk about what else it brings to the table: together with the item upgrade system we've got plenty of different shields (variety is good in my book), some use for rupees (upgrading, buying, repairing) and a psychological factor that makes battles more interesting.
Yes, don't laugh, I'm serious Together with the fact that baddies hurt more in this game, having to worry about shield durability makes you want either to shield bash with perfect timing or take a hit yourself. In previous 3D zeldas you could hide behind your shield the whole time with no penality whatsoever and then attack whenever the opponent let his guard down.
In other words, it makes battles a little more risky and difficult, which I'm enjoying quite a bit. For the first time since a Link to the Past I've almost died during a boss battle, and I would have if I didn't have a fairy and a red potion. Me gusta.
Old 2011-12-14, 02:52
Magic Ball Master

I don't know how long it will last, but I'm just playing without a shield. No doubt Skyward Sword will eventually throw an enemy my way that will require a shield to defeat, but thus far, the evasion is preferable.
Old 2011-12-17, 00:06
Classic

Early 3DS owners can get their free GBA games now

F-Zero Maximum Velocity
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Metroid Fusion
Wario Land 4
WarioWare Inc: Mega Microgames
Old 2011-12-17, 23:52
Magic Ball Master

After playing Skyward Sword for awhile, I've come to a conclusion.

Please abandon the motion controls. The 1:1 (well, 1:1 for movement but you really only have 8 possible slash animations) is annoying as hell. I want to be able to block with my sword like my enemies do. Not use a deteriorating shield. I want to exploit my enemies weakpoint, not have to flail my arm like a retard and get random hits (which thus far are more effective than any attempt at precision on my part). Ugh.
Old 2011-12-18, 02:27
Classic

Your playing it wrong then. Nothing random about it. Aim right. Time right. Not like you ever had to do that in previous zelda's - this is one of the few times fighting has ever been skillfull.
The easiest tactic for most enemys is to wait for them to slash you if your really having trouble aiming. Strike them quickly when they pull back to attack.
Quote:
I want to be able to block with my sword like my enemies do.
sure, but motion control could do that better then a button. (as demo'd in WSR...sword blocking worked fine)
Old 2011-12-19, 20:16
Magic Ball Master

I'm doing it wrong. Right.

Never mind the fact that timing has been in just about every other adventure/action game featuring swordfights.

Like I said, I can waggle like a retard and kill enemies more efficiently than I can timing my strikes. The lizalfos are a perfect example. Block high, so I use low uppercut swipes. Nope, block that too.

Waggle like a retard? Kill him in about three "swipes."
Old 2011-12-19, 20:34
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote

I don't have a Wii anymore so I can't play it :|
Old 2011-12-20, 02:30
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echomote View Post

I don't have a Wii anymore so I can't play it :|
Be glad. I nearly threw my Wiimote in frustration today against the electro-charged moblins. I officially hate Skyward Sword's control scheme.

Close second: the fact that Fi holds your hand and reminds you that your health is low. Because I didn't know that. Fuck you, Fi.
Old 2011-12-20, 12:29

Fi is such a captain obvious it's not funny, we can agree on that at least.
"Master, there is a 95% chance there's something important behind this huge door identical to the last two you opened in the last two dungeons."
You don't say?? I would never have guessed!
Old 2011-12-21, 02:48
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Fi is such a captain obvious it's not funny, we can agree on that at least.
"Master, there is a 95% chance there's something important behind this huge door identical to the last two you opened in the last two dungeons."
You don't say?? I would never have guessed!
"You've faced 0 of this enemy type." No shit, Sherlock. Hence why I'm asking you about it.
Old 2011-12-31, 20:20

Anyone else got Mario Kart 7? I got it at day one. It's pretty good, though often infuriating online, yet significantly less than Mario Kart Wii (no more giant mushroom, pow and thunder cloud definitely helped). Kart customization is nice, courses are great overall imo, there are very few ones that I absolutely despise. Too bad for a huge ass exploit in a course that lets people skip one third of the course in a stupidly easy way (and of course everyone uses it online, whoopee.)
Old 2012-01-27, 05:24
<3 MP

Which one is mario kart 7?
Thought there was just mk wii, double dash, mk64 super mk... and so on... which one is 7?
Old 2012-01-27, 12:14
Polly parrot

It's the one on the 3ds.
Old 2012-01-27, 22:03
<3 MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
It's the one on the 3ds.
Damn, I need to buy me one of those...
Old 2012-01-27, 23:18
Classic

The Resident Evil:Revelations demo is for download on the 3ds if anyone has noticed yet.
Really impressive engine, but pretty short.

As for me...I still haven't completed Xenoblade yet wow that game is insanely big.
Really great landscape designers too - puts just about every other RPG I can think of to shame in terms of environments.

By the time Ive done this TheLastStory will be out too
Old 2012-01-28, 00:25
Polly parrot

Any flashcards out yet ? I heard something about one called crown or something...
Old 2012-01-28, 13:07

Nope. And honestly, I wouldn't trust those Crown 3DS guys. They came out of nowhere, made a lot of noise by posting a single video of a game rom booting (no homebrew) and then nobody heard anything from them in months.
I think Nintendo got much stronger anti piracy measures this time, and pretty much forcing users to update their firmware will surely help them.
I'm sure someday an exploit will be found and then it will be homebrew galore, but I think it's too early for that.
Old 2012-01-28, 13:52
Classic

Yeah, could take awhile.
The key problem is that each system has its own unique key.
This makes it massively harder to make a generic way to crack it....one leak wont be enough.
The PS3 took ages, but was eventually defeated after a lot of work and the key leaked. This time there needs to be a universal exploit. Theres sure to be people raising to the challenge, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Tis a shame - I miss even basic homebrew like PuzzleMankic and Comic Book DS.

At least this time the system has a built in MP3 player...but then, homebrews better for that too. (why cant I change tracks by holding R and pressing L? why cant I play OGGs,SPCs and even MIDIs like moomshell could?)
Old 2012-02-05, 15:30
Magic Ball Master

I've spent the last few weeks setting up the homebrew on my Wii. Has anybody of you tried it?

If you have early Wiis (pre-2009) you can enable DVD playback and data DVD support for homebrew applications and turn your Wii into a little media center. It works for me since my TV doesn't support 1080p anyway. Heck, it doesn't support 480p.

You can play Homebrew games. Granted, most of the homebrew games range from the style of a mini-game to the type you would normally get on WiiWare. The best WIi exclusives I have found are Mahjongg Wii, the Cylindrical Tetris game and some spaceship shooters and arcade shooting things.

What also works are the emulators and ports of PC games. The best is probably the fan-made King of Fighters game.

And of course there's the possibility to backup your Wii & GameCube games to USB sticks, SD cards, external harddrives and the likes, and play the backups instead of the original games. But I haven't tried that yet, I didn't see a reason to do it.

Besides, Homebrew is an easy workaround for the region-lock. It just won't work for me because my TV can only display 576i.
Old 2012-02-05, 18:32
Classic

I never bothered with homebrew for the Wii - if my Wii wasnt 3 meters from my pc I would have done it as a media center, but its just not worth it when my pc is on anywaay.
I love home in general, but nothing stood out as "must try".

The opposite was true of my DS though - I was using homebrew at least 60% of the time on it.
Old 2012-02-06, 16:48
Magic Ball Master

Wii Homebrew is not worth it for any original games. Most people get it for the media, the USB backup / DVD backup loading and the emulators.

Tags
consoles, games, nintendo ds, videogames