Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > News
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

News Discuss the news posted on the MBN here

Old 2011-12-31, 16:39
Polly parrot

Quite intersting indeed. I wonder what the remake will be like. And I hope it'll be available on PC.
Old 2011-12-31, 16:49
Lemonhead

The best possible news to begin the new year with
The creatures arranged in a line and started to rape Twinsen in his anus, one by one.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras maxim View Post
P.S. Forgot to mention that Twinsen's remains were fed to dogs.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras maxim View Post
O.K., let's change the execution part. Maybe he was just beaten to death with clubs???
Old 2011-12-31, 23:59
weee

I thought the same

After the last 3 big games he made were cancelled by evil big money monkeys (who were probably jealous of his talent), Fred is finally the owner of his own copyrights. NO one can stop him now!
Old 2012-01-01, 00:04
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Does anyone know if they already have started development? Or when they will start with this?
Old 2012-01-01, 00:10
weee

They probably won't say anything so not jinx it.
Old 2012-01-01, 00:27

Curious Curious!
Old 2012-01-01, 01:03
A few steps behind you...

heh, I am really happy now
Old 2012-01-01, 01:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Quite intersting indeed. I wonder what the remake will be like. And I hope it'll be available on PC.
I hope so! Maybe on steam or something? I dunno, but it needs to be on PC in some form, otherwise I won't be able to play it, which would suck.
Old 2012-01-01, 07:35
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

I think LBA would make a great PS Vita game with its dual controls and touch screens. I completed the PSX version on the PSP, really would like to see LBA2 in portable form too. I agree it should be re-released on PC too, and it'd be cool to see it on Steam to bring some more light to the LBA series.
Old 2012-01-01, 12:02
Pudding Warrior

Send a message via ICQ to BlazinBlack
oh that is the first good thing i hear this year.
just a minute ago i felt like "ugh, if this year goes on like it started, i won't make it" ... and now that! just awesome!!
Old 2012-01-01, 13:44
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
I thought the same

After the last 3 big games he made were cancelled by evil big money monkeys (who were probably jealous of his talent), Fred is finally the owner of his own copyrights. NO one can stop him now!
Uhm....that makes no sense?
If they cancelled his work it would be because they did not see it commercially viable. Why would they be jealous? They just care about money right?
Old 2012-01-01, 19:50
weee

Jealousy is a human emotion, and they're still human, plus they're so rich and corrupted with power, so it's not impossible.
Old 2012-01-01, 21:21
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Jealousy is a human emotion, and they're still human, plus they're so rich and corrupted with power, so it's not impossible.
You just randomly accuse people for the failure of Fred's past projects without any idea of the situation.
The idea that the people in charge would kill of a project because it was the best thing since sliced bread and would make large amounts of money, makes no sense.
Old 2012-01-01, 21:21
Neko

On a different note: Yay! I asked for a remake in 1999-2000 and now it seems to be on it's way
Old 2012-01-02, 07:18
...on a white pony :P

my gosh this is such an AMAZING news... I'm totally excited, grinning like I got a facial paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
DO WANT.
2012, end of the world? Please, rebirth of LBA is more like it.
yuk, no matter what Mayas said, there can't be an "end of the world" until this remake is out!
on a side note: did you know that Monkey Island's Ron Gilbert & Tim Schafer are back again working together? 2012 (13?) will be one hell of a year for us nostalgic gamers
He's a quetchKiwi. Mostly know in the more southern regions of the world, these animals gather food and fly over small distances. They are known because of the ponytail located at the back of their head, sprouting from between the feathers.
Old 2012-01-02, 09:44
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Quote:
Originally Posted by quetchKiwi View Post
on a side note: did you know that Monkey Island's Ron Gilbert & Tim Schafer are back again working together? 2012 (13?) will be one hell of a year for us nostalgic gamers
I heard something about that some weeks ago... Honestly I'm not that excited about that. Schafer's last games are quite disappointing, and if he is a legend it's because of what he did in the 80s and 90s. Perhaps working with Gilbert again is going to put him on the roll again... We've seen what he's still capable of with Tales of Monkey Island, even if they claim he wasn't involved that much into that project.
Old 2012-01-02, 15:20
Idyllic + whimsical

I'm confused, this isn't related to the iPad "remix" that was mentioned some time ago?

Also, the news piece on gamer.co.il. For some reason they called Didier "Diddler".
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2012-01-02, 20:06
You Only Live Twice

Send a message via AIM to Twinsan Send a message via MSN to Twinsan
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmuerte View Post
(Moved to news forum and edited the post a bit to be more news-post-like)

A remake of LBA1 would be awesome. I hope they stick to the areas with "void" rather than trying to fill in the blanks. Not knowing what's in the next scene really adds to the mystery of the world.

IDK lba2 was more enjoyable for me with out the void, but I do feel LBA2 suits it more, LBA2 has a rather vibrant colourful perky kinda feel to it, while LBA has a feeling of pursuit, danger and mystery to it. Which matches the games premiss as a planet currently under the control of a tyrant dictator.
Old 2012-01-02, 20:31

Platform

I hope... that it will not be released only on Ipad or something like that..

I really don't like Apple products... and how limited they are.. so that will be the only platform i don't own and won't ever buy.

I hope it will be a PSN or XBLA title! Or even steam.. i definatly will buy it when it's on one of these three!

I am so curious what steps they are going to take to adapt it to this time.
Old 2012-01-03, 15:53
Magic Level: Green Ball

Send a message via MSN to StraToN
Hi fellows ! Happy new year to you all, it's been a long time since my last post, but I've never been really that far away from this great and warm place.

Great news for all of us, and for the youth people who didn't have a chance to play such great games in the past. Hopefully they will do their possible to keep a gameplay as close as possible to the original games, or improving them in some ways

And for my French comrades / Et pour mes camarades français
here's the french translation of this GOG interview / voici la traduction en français de l'interview de GOG

Spoiler:

Tout d'abord, étant des invités aussi honorables, pouvez-vous nous révéler, si vous en avez le droit, sur quels projets vous travaillez actuellement ?

Nous travaillons sur le remake de LBA1 :-) Individuellement, nous sommes impliqués dans d'autres projets dont nous ne pouvons rien dire. Fred (Raynal, ndt) vient de sortir un petit puzzle game qu'il a fait lui-même : "bOxOn", vous pouvez le trouver sur son site web ludoid.fr.

Vous avez rendu beaucoup de joueurs heureux en annonçant la renaissance de Little Big Adventure. Qu'est-ce-que ça vous fait de voir autant de réactions enthousiastes au fait que le jeu est à nouveau disponible ?

C'est très motivant. Cela efface nos doutes sur l'intérêt général pour ce jeu, et tous ces retours sympa des joueurs nous pousse vraiment à continuer.

Le "système d'attitudes" de LBA était une véritable innovation dans les mécaniques de jeux. Pouvez-vous nous dire comment vous est venue cette idée d'implémenter différentes positions pour Twinsen ?

Nous souhaitions avoir un gameplay très riche, qui fonctionne à la fois dans les actions calmes et les phases d'action, aussi afin de mieux correspondre à des sentiments humains dans ces différents cas, nous avons décidé de construire l'interface autour de ces attitudes, afin que le héros soit dans l'humeur dont vous seriez dans la vie réelle. Nous sommes très fiers de ce comportement discret qui était très en avance sur son temps.

Pensez-vous à faire revivre la série avec un troisième opus ? Est-ce seulement possible ? Si c'était le cas, comment le verriez-vous ?

Nous avons effectivement beaucoup d'idées pour une troisième partie, nos meilleurs fans en connaissent déjà quelques-unes, mais avant de vous en dire plus nous avons besoin de tester quelques-unes de ces idées avec le remake. Les jeux sont différents aujourd'hui, et nous ne voulons pas rester coincés dans les années 90.

La communauté active autour de la série Little Big Adventure a été très active au fil des ans, et a produit beaucoup de contenu fan-made. Est-ce que vous avez suivi quelques-unes de ces productions ? Si oui, que pensez-vous d'elles ? Si vous deviez commencer à travailler sur un autre jeu LBA, est-ce que vous penseriez à inviter certains de ces fans à participer au projet ?

Oui, nous les avons tous vus, et nous avons souvent été très impressionnés. Nous vous remercions pour la quantité de travail que vous avez fournie et pour votre fidélité, c'est vraiment excitant pour la suite. Aussi, nous souhaitons vraiment impliquer la communauté LBA dans nos futurs travaux.

Y a-t-il des idées que vous n'avez pu inclure dans les jeux à causes de contraintes techniques ou de faute de temps (pas parce que vous ne les aimiez pas) ? Pouvez-vous nous dire une d'entre elles ? Est-ce que vous les incluriez si vous en aviez la possibilité en re-designant et re-sortir les jeux avec les technologies d'aujourd'hui ?
Renesans

Pour LBA1, nous ne voulions pas implémenter les environnements 3D pour les extérieurs et les véhicules. Nous l'avons fait pour LBA2, mais sans utiliser une physique réelle. Ce sera le cas pour une suite, afin de nous permettre des environnements plus réalistes et plus de possibilités en termes de gameplay.

Comment expliquez-vous ce feeling unique que procurent les jeux européens (comme LBA) et qui est si difficile à trouver ailleurs ?
pedro_porfirio

Nous ne savons pas si ce feeling qui est dans le jeu existe parce que nous sommes Européens, mais ce qui est certain c'est que la liberté que nous avions (et aussi le fait que les jeux n'étaient pas catégorisés comme aujourd'hui) a permis à chaque membre de l'équipe d'apporter une petit part de lui-même dans le travaille. Fred pense que c'est comme ça que vous donnez une âme à un jeu.

LBA2 a au moins un peu de ce que j'appelle personnellement des améliorations par rapport au premier opus, c'est-à-dire un système de sauvegarde plus convenable, plus de personnage qui se crashe dans les murs. Est-ce-que ces changements ont été apportés suite aux critiques des joueurs, ou est-ce que vous les auriez faits de toute façon au nom d'une "évolution générale" ?

Aussi, pourquoi cette augmentation de... euh, du contenu "adulte" dans LBA2 (le trick avec la vache, Twinsen se rendant dans la partie dames du sauna à l'Hacienda pour détourner l'attention du patron, etc.) ? Est-ce que cela a été ajouté parce que le premier jeu était ressenti comme trop "enfantin", et donc une manière d'attirer un public plus adulte ?
YnK

Oui, les critiques nous ont aidé à améliorer quelques erreurs faites dans le premier opus. Certaines de ces erreurs étaient faites pour une raison : LBA1 était prévu aussi pour SNES, alors nous avions essayé de garder l'avantage de ne pas s'inquiéter du système de sauvegarde pour la version PC. Comme dit précédemment, nous voulions avoir un comportement quasi-humain dans toutes les situations, or, vous ne courez pas dans votre maison (ndt : concernant l'utilisation du mode sportif causant les dégâts en fonçant dans un mur). Mais OK, c'était une erreur pour le gameplay, c'est pourquoi LBAWin a essayé de corriger ce genre de retours des joueurs.
Depuis le début de LBA, l'idée était d'être très différent des autres jeux, graphiquement parlant, disons un genre de style naïf, mais avec une histoire collant à l'âge moyen des membres de l'équipe (adultes ?) et avec des blagues venant de jeunes hommes adultes (qui a dit adultes ?).
ndt : ici "adulte" est à prendre au sens de "obsédé", je pense

Est-ce que la décision de faire LBA2 a été influencée par le succès de LBA1, ou bien le titre était-il prévu depuis le départ ?
iuliand

Quand vous commencez à travailler sur quelque chose d'aussi ambitieux (ça l'était à l'époque) vous êtes obligé de penser à une suite, surtout quand vous êtes frustrés de tout ce que vous ne pouvez pas intégrer dans le jeu. Mais c'est uniquement le succès du premier épisode qui a rendu possible le second possible et plus gratifiant, c'est ce qui a fait que les éditeurs le voulaient.

LBA est le premier jeu auquel je pense qui utilisait une combinaison de personnages d'un style cartoon avec des arrière-plans plus réalistes et texturés. Récemment, on a vu plus souvent dans des hits comme Final Fantasy 7.
J'ai le fort sentiment que le style artistique n'a pas été conduit uniquement par la technologie, mais aussi et surtout par une vision globale du jeu. Étiez-vous inquiets du fait que ce style unique utilisé dans LBA pourrait se retourner contre vous et que le public pourrait le trouver trop enfantin ou amateur ?
Tallima

Les deux sont vrais. Comme nous l'avons dit, nous souhaitions avoir des graphismes colorés et enfantins et nous avions besoin de prendre avantage de la technologie que nous avions. C'était notre challenge de faire correspondre les deux.

Pouvez-vous nous dire, rapidement, vos histoires personnelles sur comment vous êtes devenus développeurs de jeux vidéo ? Que pensez-vous de ce que les jeunes devraient faire, quel parcours éducatif ils devraient prendre pour réaliser leur rêve de devenir développeurs de jeux ?

Quand nous avons fait les LBAs, travailler sur des jeux vidéo n'était pas un chemin proposé à l'école. Tout le monde dans l'équipe était programmeur ou artiste autodidacte, conduits uniquement par leur passion. Mais ne croyez pas que c'était plus facile, ça voulait dire une plus grosse quantité de travail mais notre motivation était si forte que nous ne nous en rendions même pas compte. De nos jours, les jeux vidéo nécessitent énormément de spécialités dédiés chacun à une tâche précise. Ça signifie qu'un jeune qui souhaite travailler dans les jeux vidéo a besoin de savoir rapidement dans quoi il se plaît ou dans quoi il peut apporter quelque chose de nouveau. Il y a beaucoup d'écoles qui offrent une bonne connaissance de ce milieu, c'est un bon début pour incorporer un studio de jeux vidéo. Mais si vous avez du talent et que vous êtes très motivé, vous pouvez essayer simplement de faire un (petit) jeu vidéo vous-même.

Enjoy !

Last edited by StraToN; 2012-01-04 at 02:25.
Old 2012-01-03, 16:20
Polly parrot

I smell google translator...
Old 2012-01-03, 17:23
Magic Level: Green Ball

Send a message via MSN to StraToN
Not at all. I translated all myself, "by hand" and it took me about 45min. Google translator works faster but it returns crap with whole texts, it's good only for words alone. Never use this sh*t.

What drives your mind when you think that ? Did you only read it ? Since I am French myself, I guess my grammar is good, and with no modesty I think it's just better than French people's average. And I just HATE orthographic faults, btw. Maybe my choices for some phrases are questionable, but it remains clear for French people.

Anyway, if you find errors in my translation, feel free to share them : it'll just make it even more better.

Last edited by StraToN; 2012-01-03 at 17:41.
Old 2012-01-03, 21:14
Polly parrot

I didn't want to offend you, sorry if I did, your points are valid it is understandable by a french, even if it is clumsy, and you're right, I didn't read the whole text, only the beginning.
"Tout d'abord, en tant qu'aussi honorables invités," étant des invités aussi honorables.
"pouvez-vous nous révéler, si vous le pouvez,"
pouvez x 2
"
vient de sortir un petit puzzle game" jeu de réflexion.
See ? It's not an ununderstandable sh*t, that's not what I meant it's just... really clumsy...

I read like the first few paragraph and made my opinion based on that. However, I'm not saying you shouldn't have done it, there are people out there who are happy to have that translation, and I wouldn't have done it, because the english suits me well. Moreover, it's better to train yourself than not doing it at all, your skills must already be better than before you translated the interview
Old 2012-01-03, 21:39
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
I've been extremely busy with university recently, that I didn't even have time to visit the site, and I only found out now about this. Really awesome, I'd say.
Old 2012-01-03, 22:31
Hello

Only found out now, sounds great! Would be nice if we got a few more specifics though...
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  cout<<"Regards,\nDino-Fly\n";
 cin.get();
}