Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2007-12-31, 19:40
Little Bastard Warrior.

Metroid Prime 3 - Corruption

I think I'm sort of paralysed. MP3 is the greatest Metroid game I've ever played. I truly loved MP1 and in fact, I prefered MP2. But MP3 is like god like. It's so amazingly ingenious. Every enemy, location, area, weapon and so forth, is so amazingly designed. The controls are far better than I ever expected.

I simply cannot understand the critique this game has been getting. I've been far more immersed in this game than I was in Bioshock, it's far more varied than Assasin's Creed, the story, gameplay and controls are lightyears beyond Halo 3.

It seems to have perfected the backtracking, so it feels more like you're doing optional side-quest, simply because you want to.

All the gesture based gameplay works flawlessly, and the voice-acting is never annoying?

The only major titled I haven't tried this year is Super Mario Galaxy (getting it when I am done with MP3) so I really can't say if that will surpass this.

I've heard the the game being critizised for it's lack of originality, but it seems to me that has nothing but that. It has complex, yet easily performed, puzzles. It uses it's areas to their fullest, so instead of making simple arenas like in the Half-Life series, we get arenas, that are also areas of exploration and alteration. The machinery that's isn't meant to be destroyed, displays a vista of original animation and input methods. My prime example, are the little droids in the Steam-punk Cloud City, that you have to shoot, before they spray out digitally stored ancient lore.

The game also shows how it really doesn't care that Nintendo (or Japanese) franchises usually stick to the doing the same old stuff in new ways. We no longer have to gather our lost equipment, or complete the game to a 100% to get to see Samus's face. It doesn't care Nintendo games are unlikely to have an intricate and serious plot or voice-acting. It also avoids the folly of once-again making us jump through hoops to gather so and so many of the same type of relic to complete the game. Sure, we have to assemple three pieces of a device at one point and so forth, but the game isn't centered around gathering 12 "who-cares-what" or 3x3 "red-key-thingies". Instead we get actual plot driven missions that adds a great deal of flow to the game.

In short: for some reason this game has been without the well-deserved credit it needed and I really can't understand why.

Last edited by Cyberg-Ares; 2007-12-31 at 19:48.
Old 2008-01-01, 09:04
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberg-Ares View Post
MP3 is the greatest Metroid game I've ever played.
I always thought MP3 = MPEG, audio layer 3
Old 2008-01-01, 15:29
Magic Ball Master

The best Metroid game I've ever played is Metroid Fushion. Might be related to the fact that it is the only Metroid game I played.
Old 2008-01-02, 00:31
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Corruption is fantasic.
(I got a few green coupons to give away....)

Easily one of the best games I have played...atmosphere,controlls and puzzles all brillent.
My only slight crit is the weapons arnt as flexible, and the visors not as interesting as the previous two.

Quote:
The machinery that's isn't meant to be destroyed, displays a vista of original animation and input methods. My prime example, are the little droids in the Steam-punk Cloud City, that you have to shoot, before they spray out digitally stored ancient lore.
Yes, the future is strange, we shoot things to give info, and even to open doors

As for voiceacting, I thought it was fine actualy. Not great (Sands of Time), but very good. (Eternal Darkness).
In fact, I been enjoying the game more now I have been convienceing myself my silly theory about Samus being Alex Rovus's decent is true
Old 2008-01-02, 15:52
Little Bastard Warrior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Corruption is fantasic.
(I got a few green coupons to give away....)
Dibs! just gotta find my friend code...

Quote:
Easily one of the best games I have played...atmosphere,controlls and puzzles all brillent.
My only slight crit is the weapons arnt as flexible, and the visors not as interesting as the previous two.
Well the advantage og making the weapons changable, is that you can make puzzles of how to shoot the enemy, the disadvantage, is that you have to switch weapons all the time to open doors. I did fine without.

I really liked the command visor, but it wasn't used enough. In fact, I only experienced one battle where I could use it. Right after you get it, a Berzerker Lord smashes through a wall. I nuked the shit out of him. Felt awesome.

I found it entertaining that they added achievements. Did you get "Bowling for bots"? or "stylish kill"?

Oh and the Chozo Observatory was beyond a welcome addition. Fantastisk idea so people don't have to unnecessarily scour the universe for missile expansions.
Old 2008-01-03, 00:34
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
I got stylish kill, but am still playing.

You summed up the differences well, but I still like my weapon puzzles.

In fact, Id quite like a custom-weapon type system. That is, one built from componants much like in Eternal Darkness you could make spells.
So maybe you have a system like;
(Fire, Ice, Acid, Gravity, Whatever)+(Normal, Spread, Multi, Chain Shot)+(Beam, Explosive).

Or well, something like that, I havnt thought it thoughly and its probably a mad idea.
The puzzle wouldnt be based on switching weapons mid battle, of course. With this system it would be working out whats best for an area and createing your own solutions.
Old 2008-01-10, 02:21
Classic

Okdokie
My Wii code - 7399-6024-0463-4580

I got lots of tokens, let me know who wants them
Old 2008-01-10, 22:55
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
Quote:
Okdokie
My Wii code - 7399-6024-0463-4580

I got lots of tokens, let me know who wants them
Don't give me more until i've repaid the current ones back
Old 2008-01-20, 16:57
Classic

I've got 15 to give away now...is no one but Dan with this game online?
Old 2008-01-20, 22:17
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
now I feel bad for not playing it very often

If I remember and I'm not busy through the week I'll play it
Old 2008-01-24, 11:19
thegnarlypanda

Send a message via AIM to hobmoblin
what are the tokens for?

I got MP3 and it's the only metroid prime I like. The first 2 I thought were a bit rubbish and MPHunters on the DS was the most repetetive thing I have ever seen, even more repetetive than the gamecube ones.
Old 2008-01-24, 17:12
Classic

How on earth if the Wii one less repedative then the others
Better controlls, better storytelling....but gameplay mechnics is absolutely identical. Puzzles pretty simerla and simerly spaced. Visor's arnt as interesting in Corruption either, despite overall it being a better game.

Also, whats so repedative about the DS one?
Its significantly less repedative then any typical FPS, and those in kind are less repedative then any RPG, and those in kinda are less repedative then, say, Tetris.
So for it to have been the most repedative thing you have seen, you couldnt have seen much

The tokens are just too unlock concept art and a few random extra thingys.
Old 2008-01-27, 23:44
thegnarlypanda

Send a message via AIM to hobmoblin
Quote:
How on earth if the Wii one less repedative then the others
Better controlls, better storytelling....but gameplay mechnics is absolutely identical. Puzzles pretty simerla and simerly spaced. Visor's arnt as interesting in Corruption either, despite overall it being a better game.

Also, whats so repedative about the DS one?
Its significantly less repedative then any typical FPS, and those in kind are less repedative then any RPG, and those in kinda are less repedative then, say, Tetris.
So for it to have been the most repedative thing you have seen, you couldnt have seen much

The tokens are just too unlock concept art and a few random extra thingys.
The DS one is just go to planet, kill some things, collect some things, fight another bounty hunter. Rinse and repeat.
Old 2008-01-28, 00:26
Classic

Kill some things, collect some things, and go someplaces sums up most games

I will say the bose designs in Hunters were very lazy, as most of them are repedative.
But the rest seemed like a very good FPS to me, some nice puzzles, and great controlls.
(cept for the morphball button, that was a fraction too small)