Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Projects > Little Script Adventure
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Little Script Adventure An open-source 3D engine with assets and tools for all future LBA fan-games.

Old 2012-07-29, 09:56
Do the evolution.

Yeah David I want to use .smd for the two spinning gears on my elevator.

However I can really see where turning glow on and off with the script will really be needed, and where controlling a scrolling texture will be needed - let's say I have a conveyer belt and I'd like to be able to turn that on and off with a switch, or I have lights somewhere, and I'd like to be able to turn them off so I can sneak in the shadow.

This will be needed at some point.

I don't mind the lua window btw, if it can be minimized.

EDIT:
will this help with texture scrolling/offset?

http://octaforge.org/docs/files/libr...texture.scroll

Last edited by Jasiek; 2012-07-29 at 10:39.
Old 2012-07-29, 11:47
Magic Ball Master

I've reviewed a bit the graphical part of engine, and what I can do is setup a timer to each object. This timer would control the frames of all animated PNGs (not a specific one) that belong to scriped object. That would allow you to do the conveyor trick for example, or make a glowing light flickering if you setup the APNG correctly (on light example, could be a glow texture fading black to red to black). Per texture and offset scrolling seems complicate on both engine (because I do passes per material not per textures) and lua side (you need to specify texture name, offset direction). The trick above would end by a command like this :
set_texture_frame(this,get_t()*8) (8fps)
set_texture_frame(this,0) (no animation)

@Horadrim : I propose to do a pop up lua window, that you would need to close to continue using the editor. Just like the select object window that pops up with right click button.
Old 2012-07-29, 12:43
Do the evolution.

Hmm yeah I guess that would work, I could have frame 0 with no glow, and then an animation range 1-16 or something for the animated bit!

It's still many more images and resources wasted then just 2 with a diffuse + glow map...

And I'll need an on/off apng for every glowing object I'd like to turn off...
But I won't be able to turn door or window glow on/off like that...

Last edited by Jasiek; 2012-07-29 at 12:58.
Old 2012-07-29, 15:02
Free-lance designer

Send a message via ICQ to Horadrim
David, why Jasiek`s platform uses other sounds, not the ones I made?
Old 2012-07-29, 17:07
Magic Ball Master

I only updated the test map with your sounds, not the sewer.
Old 2012-07-29, 18:27
Magic Ball Master

WIP of new interface :

Edit : only the 2 right panels can be tiled vertically, the width of left panel is fixed. I almost never hided it so I guess it should always stay visible
The script panel can be totally hidden
Old 2012-07-29, 20:51
Do the evolution.

I hide the panel a lot....

Last edited by Jasiek; 2012-07-29 at 23:45.
Old 2012-07-29, 23:08
Free-lance designer

David, I hide the side panel too. I remember even I asked you to make it hideable, it doesn`t make sense to return it back to the previous state.
Old 2012-07-30, 09:23
Magic Ball Master

you can try new interface, the 3 panels can be hidden
sound API is not finished yet
Old 2012-07-30, 19:56
Magic Ball Master

you can see in test map the new sound scripting, it's finished. Sound are controlled by the nodes only.
Old 2012-07-30, 21:04
Free-lance designer

The wait() stuff should really be removed from the platforms. The horizontal platform now plays the sounds and moves as it should be, but without the wait() . The waiting desyncronizes everything. The vertical platform doesn`t make any sound. It starts and stops it`s animations with great delay, removing the wait() doesn`t help for this.
Old 2012-07-30, 21:40
Magic Ball Master

is it better now for test map ?

When platform reaches the destination, I'm not cutting the loop animation. I wait the last loop to finish before playing the end sample, so that transition is smooth. But this can lead to a delay. Let me know if we need to brutally play the end sample.

Also removing the wait() is weird for the sewer platform. Since platform moves before the engine start sound is over. To be perfect, we would need an acceleration/deceleration ramp.

Sewer platform sounds like HL1 gauss gun

Last edited by David; 2012-07-30 at 22:09.
Old 2012-07-31, 01:47
Free-lance designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
is it better now for test map ?

Sewer platform sounds like HL1 gauss gun
You made me search in youtube for videos with the gun, so I could hear it. I don`t think that the sounds even resemble the gaus gun ones.

EDIT: I`m noticing that the sound cracks a little at random places (I`m sure that it`s not when switching the sound samples, because it happens after few loops and sometimes even at the beginning, before even starting the sound).

Last edited by Horadrim; 2012-07-31 at 01:53.
Old 2012-07-31, 02:04
Magic Ball Master

indeed it cracks, no idea why.
You now have a second script panel, which lets you pickup a script that is stored in "scripts" folder. I've setup all doors in nearpharmacy map and sewer platform in all maps so that they share same script.
Old 2012-07-31, 02:06
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horadrim View Post
You made me search in youtube for videos with the gun, so I could hear it. I don`t think that the sounds even resemble the gaus gun ones.
The game pitch this sound up as weapon is loading :
http://ts-x.eu/downloadurl/hl2/sound...chargeloop.wav
Old 2012-07-31, 18:48
Free-lance designer

I still can`t find any resemblance :/ .
Old 2012-08-01, 01:39
Magic Ball Master

Nevermind then.
You can find, after compiling, a basic twinsen LUA clone instead of the captain in the test map. It's controllable with keyboard, trigger sounds, and has something like a quarter of current hardcoded twinsen features.
Old 2012-08-04, 19:20
Magic Ball Master

I've reviewed the GUI one more time
The floating console disappeared, to be replaced by a right panel. This panel is displaying messages in real time. When you load a map, you see objects loading progressively. It's in fact a window inside another window, refreshing independently of main window.
The messages also output in a text file that is created in root folder, called log.txt. It's useful when you run the game without the editor (using command line editor "assets/testgrid.map") so that we can still have a clue what happen in case of crash.
The editor won't close anymore with the ESC key, you have to do file exit. No more accidental map closing...
Finally the script editor has some line numbering, useful to locate the lua error message that appears on the log panel.
I would really appreciate your feedback on both windows and linux to know if all this actually work for you. Specially the console panel which is kind of special.

Here is a screenshot of current state of editor :

Edit : Also take a look at test map, they are 2 twinsens displaying, one lua, one c++ controlled. They superpose as long as you don't go agressive or discreet mode, climb or launch ball. Those points still need to be done. You can output text to right panel from a lua script by using the command log_append(...), it can be any type of argument.
Old 2012-08-04, 20:08
Free-lance designer

Good idea for the console. I`ve noticed though, that the horizontal platform crashes the editor, while moving at the third waypoint. I`ve attached the log file (first use of it :P ).
I`ve got an idea for the ESC key. Can you make it as "deselect all" function?
Attached Files
File Type: txt log.txt‎ (48.8 KB, 101 views)
Old 2012-08-04, 21:33
Magic Ball Master

Thanks !!
I've read the log file, and what happen is that on third waypoint, the citadel map loads. It's because you pass over the red sensor, triggering this event.
What I don't understand is that the map suddenly stops to load. Is it because you closed the editor during loading process or it just crashed definitively ? Also, do you see the log panel refreshing while the map loads ?
Yes ESC should be used for that.
Old 2012-08-04, 21:51
Free-lance designer

Yes, I closed the editor, because it crashed and the sound sample went into monotone humming. The log panel refreshes, but I think it stopped when the editor crashed. BTW, the question with the maps loading speed gathers head - it`s somehow OK to load slowly as is now, but imo only when changing islands. Currently it takes too much time, while transiting from the sewers to the outside map. The first time it happened to me, I thought that the editor crashed. There must be a way to load everything almost instantaneously.
Old 2012-08-04, 22:02
Magic Ball Master

To know what happen exactly I would need you compile with "debug" build target, and then press F8 or from menu debug->start from code::blocks. The last commands before the crash then appear in a window called "call satck", which gives info on source files and lines that caused the crash. This window is showing from menu debug->debugging windows->call stack.
This and the log file give me the maximum info. The debug build target is a bit slower than release target, and running through F8 even slower

The first time you load a map it takes time, but second time you load it, i.e. taking the sewer platfom 2 times, the transition should be much faster, cause the objects are already loaded in memory. Second transition could be even faster actually, if I store the optimized static scene somewhere and load it back instead of computing it each time.
Old 2012-08-04, 22:21
Free-lance designer

Okay, this time I left the editor to load the outside map fully, but the endless loop of the moving platform didn`t stop, even when the map loaded. I was able to hear Twinsen`s footsteps in the meantime, when the sound was looping. I suggest you to terminate all sounds, while transiting in different map. This will avoid such bugs. I`m attaching the 3 log files (the call stack you wanted, the editor`s log and the log from Codeblocks, just for any case).
Attached Files
File Type: zip LOGS.zip‎ (10.5 KB, 95 views)
Old 2012-08-04, 23:16
Magic Ball Master

Thanks again

looking at load file, you go in game mode starting from testmap, then take the platform until citadel map loads, then you press the blue arrow to go to editor mode ? Is this when the crash happens ? Or is it happening later, for example trying to exit through file->exit ?

I've comited a tiny modification of source file, which I hope will solve this issue. The debug callstack you posted shows the console is crashing while it is refreshed.
Old 2012-08-05, 13:02
Do the evolution.

I'll try it out today.

One comment off the top of my head though is since I always run the editor in a console the console inside the program is just clutter to me. Could it be closed in the .cfg file so it stays closed until I need it?

Tags
awesome, demo, engine, lba, lba1r, little bigger adventure, little script adventure, non profit, opengl, opensource, tools