Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2003-11-09, 00:25
Horza

What's happened to Adeline Software/No Cliche?

Little Big Adventure 2 Is One Of My All Time Favourite Games. It seems just a weird shame that Adeline Software went to No Cliche and now doesn't exist at all. Plus how can 3 companies share and distribute the same game. E.g. In Europe, "LBA 2" is, I mean was, distributed by Electronic Arts, In America "Twinsen's Odyssey" was distributed by Activision, and Adeline Software obviously made the game. I live in England and guess what? I can't buy the game new anywhere at all! It's ridiculas! All these new modern killing masicure games are just rubbish. Nothing beats the old fashioned 3D action adventure games with the wonderfully composed music! Grim Fandango is another classic musical game. Even Banjo-Kazzooie/Banjo-Tooie!! The only way i can get the game new is from oversees In America and secondhand at Ebay. Rubbish! Download? U've got to be joking. No one should download LBA 1/2 !! They are CLASSIC GAMES and the creators DESERVE RESPECT!! If I hear anything about downloading it or copying it I should report it to ELSPA (The Entertainment & Leisure Software Publishers Association) (Anti Games Piracy). Copyright Is A Matter Of FACT.
Old 2003-11-09, 00:33
Has Returned...

Quote:
All these new modern killing masicure games are just rubbish. Nothing beats the old fashioned 3D action adventure games with the wonderfully composed music!
I completely agree. as the saying goes: They dont make them like they used to

About downloading them, while I hate the idea and think it shouldn't be done, I can at least understand why. It's very hard to get hold of such a game nowerdays, as you have found yourself.
Old 2003-11-09, 03:41
Magic Level: Red Ball

Quote:
Nothing beats the old fashioned 3D action adventure games with the wonderfully composed music!
I'd have to disagree.

I mean, I like LBA 2 (never played #1), of course or else I wouldn't be here no matter how well I know Atre, and considder it one of the best game 'twin' (when a company makes a game and a sequal with the same basic concept) ever made, if only due to originality and the nonconformist style. However it pales in comparison to Planescape: Torment and Starcraft.
Old 2003-11-09, 11:39
Magic Ball Master

Re: What's happened to Adeline Software/No Cliche?

Quote:
Originally posted by talkalot
Nothing beats the old fashioned 3D action adventure games with the wonderfully composed music!
I would partially agree with that, although I am a bigger fan of the point and click adventure system (e.g. Minkey Island 2) and games of the same style but without the use of the mouse (Grim Fandango, my favourite game ever). Looking at what Robrecht has said, I would again only agree with that partially. First and foremostly it is both tricky and in certain cases unwise to say a game of one genre pales in comparison to the other. The three games you have highlighted are all very different and each have certain characteristics which make them unique (both in their genre separation). For example, if uo compare Starcraft to LBA you have to look at their similar features, dismissing how wonderfully balanced each of the sides in Starcraft is or how interesting inventory items are in LBA1 or 2. And also just to stoke up talk of Planescape: Torment I would have to say that I myself prefer BG2 . That does not automatically catergorise me as someone who didn't understand/appreciate the fine script and inner mechanics of the adventures of a nameless guy and especially the amusing Morte. Just a matter of personal preference even though I admit that Torment is most probably the better made game. Also I wasn't a big fan of Brood War.
Old 2003-11-09, 11:49
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Planescape: Torment and Starcraft, however, really relay heavy on "repeated" actions and concepts.

Adventure games like LBA/Zelda have almost every scene, location unique. Very rarely is the gameplay mechcanics "repeated".
Because of this the type of games are quite rare, and shooter then RPGs.
===
Quote:
Little Big Adventure 2 Is One Of My All Time Favourite Games. It seems just a weird shame that Adeline Software went to No Cliche and now doesn't exist at all.
They do exist, they made a GBA game recently:
http://pocket.ign.com/articles/382/382523p1.html

There is talk they may convert LBA1 to GBA. (its easily posibble)

==
talkalot ~ If you like LBA, and good music try Eternal Darkness for the Gamecube. (thats if you got one after the N64).
Thats got killing in yes, but its a old fashion style action adventure at its heart with lots of originality and puzzles.
And of, course, the "Zelda" brand is still alive and well.

There are still some really nice new games out there, even if stuff like GTA gets all the attention.
Old 2003-11-09, 11:54
Magic Ball Master

Well if we're talking about unique I would heartily recommend Majora's Mask to anyone with an N64. That is one of the strangest and most unique Zeldas or game I have played for a long time.
Old 2003-11-09, 12:25
Has Returned...

Everyones going to have different games they like, but I definitely prefer lba to games where you go along with some gun or another blasting everything that moves and have no real storyline. I do like the monkey island games however, and I think the humour that they use in them is very effective, and lba could do with maybe a little more humour
Old 2003-11-09, 13:50
Magic Level: Red Ball

I think it's not a bad thing that there are so few of these games, because that way, only the people who are good at it make them.

I mean there used to be a time when Tombraider was a very original game or when Wolfenstein was very innovative Or when Dune 2 featured never before seen gameplay.

Personally I liked LBA(2) but I found it a little bit too unintuïtive for it to make my top ten.
Old 2003-11-09, 22:54
Horza

Quote:
They do exist
yes but their website, i mean websites don't work. it's good that excellent sites like this one still keep going no matter how old a game/film gets. The Grim Fandango Network for example [Visit]
Old 2003-11-10, 00:00
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
I think the fact that they still make games is more important then their website not working

By all reports that GBA game is quite good too, allthough i personaly dont like racing games.
--
Fred, the creator of LBA has his own company however at:
http://www.f4-toys.com/
(which isnt much help )

He is currently working on another game, but wants to make LBA3 at some point.
Old 2003-11-10, 02:15
Magic Ball Master

see this link
http://cgi.ebay.com/......=LanguageToggle

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2003-11-10, 03:14
Classic

worth a go, but thats one of the most suspecious looking ebay sites i have seen O_o
Old 2003-11-10, 20:14
Magic Ball Master

Anyway, the games: Vice City, Rayman 3 and Duke Nukem Mp are actualy full of Humour, for example Duke: When you are hit by a car his body wil totaly splash off!

Anyway LBA is also good, A time ago it was the best! LBA gets boring me till LBA 3 comes out!
Old 2003-11-12, 10:53
Horza

ok so i do actually find GTA: Vice City quite funny like when u set urself to be a "ladies man" and then u get the chainsaw out. hah ahah. plus the funny comments made such as "it's all about the money!"

Though i say this, sorry but i still prefer my classics. MAKE LBA 3!!!! AHHHHH stupid rights nowadays
Old 2003-11-12, 11:56
Classic

O_o @ peoples sense of humour these days
Old 2003-11-12, 19:06
Magic Ball Master

The highest form of game humour can be found in LucasArts adventures. Period. Vice City can be quite funny but in a more low brow way and also the way in which it parodies mob films. Dunno if killing a huge crowd of people is that funny though really...
Old 2003-11-12, 20:53
Classic

*agrees*

LucasArts rules (well, "Lucasfilm Games" even more ).
Rare games gave me a few laughs too (allthough it was almost all british referances).
Old 2003-11-13, 00:41
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Bah to adventure games. Give me a weapon in my hand and my enemys blood in my mouth and i shall cut a sunder through their ranks.

That being said i still like some adventure games. LBA1&2 had simplistic and childish graphics. And it had slightly an adult theme to it. But was still fun. Took me weeks to finish it to begin with. But you look at games today. Chrome, Max payne 2, Halo for example. I finished Max Payne 2 in about 5 hours Guee $90 for 5 hours of play. Chrome took alittle longer but i managed to finish the last 3 levels using just the 9mm pistol on hard. Slow mo made it too easy. And halo was repiditive and the only value for money im getting is through multiplay there.

But one pays around 100 dollars for a game one expects it to entertain for more than just 5 hours. The one game i am getting endless Fun from that is shoot em up is Battle Field 1942, Half life was also a good investment. These games are kept alive by constant Mods.

Adventure games are fun, But they are dying out to a generation raised on Violence, Bloodshed and MTV. Adventure games arn't the only ones suffering when was the last squad based turn based game you saw? X-com was and still is the best game i have ever played. and soon as i get that working with Xp *Shakes Fist* But the new UFO aftermath was Realtime and crappy. No where near as good as the first. Jaggered Alliance 2 was very good and the add on fun. But theres only so far that can go.
Old 2003-11-13, 01:53
Has Returned...

Sadly, it's true when you say adventure games are dying. I mean, who wants to spend time playing a game with a great storyline, where you have to solve puzzles and interact with characters when you could just blow everything that moves to peices
Old 2003-11-13, 02:56

Yes well everything seems to be flashy graphics and Blood effects rather than storyline, But there is hope. RPG's are being churned out pretty quick. Neverwinternights is good and so is Lionheart if you like those kind of games.
Old 2003-11-13, 11:15
Classic

Xcom used to rule (the first 3...and Interceptor).

After that it was shit, even the new one has had poor reviews.
Lazar Squad Nemsis (from the original creators) is good fun, but dosnt have the resaerch element i like. Its like futuristic chess really.

Adventure games ARE doing ok:
Beyond good and Evil is good, and the Zelda franchise is still just as great as it ever was.
(zelda always garentys at least 30 hours of playing..wind waker could easily stretch to 50 if you do all the subquests)

The only genra that is on its death bed is the "point and click adventure"...but then, with a new Myst game out, and a Broken Sword comming...you never know...it might just servive.
Old 2003-11-13, 11:57

Yeah the new broken Sword looks awsome.

Lazar Squad Nemsis?
Old 2003-11-13, 12:14
Classic

There was a reason why the later Xcom's sucked, it was because the creators left.

http://www.lasersquadnemesis.com/
Old 2003-11-13, 12:48

Whoah Nice. *Downloads*
Old 2003-11-13, 14:13
Has Returned...

Talking about point and click adventure games, has anyone ever played The Longest Journey? I think that has to be another one of my favourites along with LBA