Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

View Poll Results: Which version of the Ring do you prefer?
Ringu (Japanese movie) 1 7.14%
The Ring Virus (Korean remake) 0 0%
The Ring (American remake) 8 57.14%
Ringu (Suzuki's novel) 0 0%
Ringu (manga) 0 0%
Ring: Kazenban (Japanese TV movie) 0 0%
Ring: Saishuushou (Japanese TV movie) 1 7.14%
Ringu (radio drama) 1 7.14%
I don't know what "The Ring" is 3 21.43%
I'm undecided 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2005-03-14, 15:52
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Thumbs Up Which version of the Ring do you prefer?

OK, after some discussions, I decided to create a thread, about which version of the Ring you prefer.

You have 8 options to choose from:[list][*]Ringu (Japanese movie),[*]The Ring Virus (Korean remake),[*]The Ring (American remake),[*]Ringu (Suzuki's novel),[*]Ringu (manga),[*]Ring: Kazenban (Japanese TV movie),[*]Ring: Saishuushou (Japanese TV movie),[*]Ringu (radio drama).

OK, I'll go first.

Ringu (Japanese movie)
I'll make a few points, why I prefer it.
  1. Storyline: The best of all. Short (massive length is a bad side of both the novel and The Ring), and serious. I absolutely adore the part of the Yamamura family, the statue of En No-Ozunu, and Shizuko's relationship with Ikuma Heihachiro. And the story of a kid, on holiday in Izu with his parents, who wanted to record his favorite TV show, because he didn't want to miss it although he went out, and accidentally recorded Sadako's cursed signal, which transformed his videotape in the cursed videotape.
    On the other hand, The Ring is just a teenage horror movie, which does nothing than just trying to scare you at each and every single moment of the movie. Also, the whole Morgan ranch story, with Anna Morgan tossing her daughter Samara into the well, whe she was 8 (Sadako was tossed into the well, when she was 18, and by her father, Ikuma Heihachiro), is absolutely awful.
    Ring: Kazenban is full of mistakes, and from what I read about it, it's good, but could be much better.
    I read that The Ring Virus is very good, but it has an awful storyline.
    Ring: Saishuushou is a piece of shit (from what I read).
    The radio drama was one of the best version of the Ring, but unfortunately, it's not a movie, so you can't actually see the events.
    The Ring manga is just a shorter version of the novel's story (featuring a male lead: Asakawa Kazuyuki, a married man, with a wife (Shizuka), and a daughter (Asakawa Yoko)).
    The Ring novel is the best version ever, but it's a novel, and this it's very long. I think they should make another Ring film, this time trusty to the novel (in the novel, it was Nagao, who tossed Sadako in the well, because when he discovered, that Sadako had no uterus and had the fully developed testicles, and thus was female on outside, but with a male genetic composition, she threatened him in her mind, that she would kill him, so he tossed her into the well as auto-defense).
  2. The characters:
    - Asakawa Reiko: A lovely mother, which could do anything for her son Yoichi (the same as Asakawa Kazuyuki in the novel, who would do anything for his wife and daughter). The same goes for Sun-ju in the Korean version. On the other hand, Rachel Keller in The Ring is a shit of a mother, which doesn't care about her son Aidan (he even calls her by her fist name (!)), and turns lovely, just when she sees Aidan watching the cursed videotape.
    - Takayama Ryuji: Has some guts, and does believe Reiko, when they talk about the cursed videotape. Also, it's him, who leads the whole investigation. He's Reiko's ex husband (well, in the novel, he's Kazuyuki's friend). Has psychic powers (visions, etc.; transferred to the young Aidan in The Ring). Unfortunately, his TV movie counterparts are pieces of shit. The same goes for Choe Yol in the Korean version. Noah Clay in The Ring doesn't even cara about Rachel (and I don't blame him - just look at Rachel's behavior (also towards her son)!), and is completely irresponsible.
    - Asakawa Yoichi: Just a normal child, who suffered the death of his cousing Ouishi Tomoko (Oishi Chieko in the novel, and Katie in The Ring). On the other hand, the novel doesn't show Asakawa Yoko (yes, daughter in the novel!) too much (the same goes for the Korean version, and the TV movie versions too). Aidan in The Ring behaves like a 35-year-old. Also, the whole point of him having visions, etc. is idiotic. Ringu (movie and novel) are better, becuase they give the psychic powers to Ryuji.
    - Yamamura Takashi: Pretty much the same, as Richard Morgan in The Ring - doesn't want to speak about Sadako (Samara in The Ring, Eun-Suh in The Ring Virus), and isn't very talkative at all. However, unlike Mr. Morgan, Yamamura doesn't commit suicide. Instead, he dies in Ringu 2, when he goes in the pool's water, where Sadako takes him.
    - Yamamura Shizuko: Unlike Anna Morgan, Shizuko had a plausible reason for suicide (she threw herself in the crater of Mt. Mihara) - the newspapers insulted her ("Charlatan", "Fraud"), on the demonstration, where dr. Ikuma Heihachiro was showing her psychic powers. The same goes for the novel. I don't know for other versions. In The Ring - why did Anna Morgan commit suicide? Who knows. Maybe she felt sorry for having tossed Samara into the well.
    - Yamamura Sadako: Well, that's a girl. Actually, unlike our pathetic buddy Samara, she did have a life before she died. She graduated from high school, and she even joined the Hisho Acting Troupe! She even had a boyfriend (Toyama). I don't know about Eun-Suh (Sadako's Korean version counterpart), but I know about the American counterpart - Samara Morgan. She was tossed into the well, when she was 8, and by her mother! How idiotic. And then, they discovered, that it was her mother, who was causing the insanity of the horses, and not her.
  3. The cursed videotape:
    The cursed videotape in the Ringu movie was the best. The comb/switching mirror sequence, the newspaper article with the moving kanjis, the shamblers, the blinking eye with the SADA character in it, the guy with his head, covered by a towel, the well (the comb/switching mirror sequence and the well are present in the cursed video in The Ring too).
    The cursed video in Ring: Kazenban was simply too long. Ring: Saishuushou had no cursed video at all, just a music video, in which Sadako's curse was hidden (!), and I know nothing about the cursed video in The Ring Virus).
    The Ringu novel cursed video however, had better intro and outro (intro: "Watch this until the end, or the dead will swallow you!", outro: "You, who watched this tape, you are going to die in exactly seven days from now. If you want to live, you must -", and then cut out to a piece of a TV show, which the 4 teenagers recorsed over its end as a prank).
    The cursed video in The Ring is idiotic. The maggots, the cliff scene, the dead horses, the mother. Boring and pathetic. They could have made a better one. And then, they say it's scary? Oh, come on.
  4. The corpses:
    Those in Ringu (movie and the novel) were certainly better, than those in The Ring, because in The Ring, there was simply too much make-up on them.
    Those in The Ring Virus apparently were better than the Ringu ones, but I can't confirm it myself.
    I know nothing about the corpses in Ring: Kazenban and Ring: Saishuushou at all.

FINAL NOTICE: I didn't make this thread to criticize anyone, I just made it to see, what people like and dislike.

Feel free to post your opinions (and to vote in the poll, of course).
Old 2005-03-14, 16:27
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
why you dont have anu " WTF IS THE RING?!" choice?. you leave me no option but not to vote

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2005-03-14, 16:46
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
* WARNING, SPOILERS *

the Ring:
A journalist investiagates the mysterious death of 4 teenagers, and discovers, that it was caused by a cursed videotape. From here on, the events depend on the actual version of the Ring, that you watch/read (Ringu, The Ring, The Ring Virus, Ring: Kazenban, etc.).
Old 2005-03-14, 18:17
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbawinownws
why you dont have anu " WTF IS THE RING?!" choice?. you leave me no option but not to vote
second

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2005-03-14, 18:19
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
Dudes, if you read previous posts in the forum in the past 2 years or something, then you should know that The Ring is a movie. I never watched it, and I have only heard about it from this forum...
Old 2005-03-14, 18:54
Still in a dream...

Never seen it personally. I keep meaning to though.
Old 2005-03-14, 18:56
Look beyond reality.

Well, I heard about it 3 days ago when someone wrote a fanfic about it
And yesterday a girl in my class sayd she was going to watch The Ring, and I was like 'WTF, how do you know what that iz!!!1'
Old 2005-03-14, 20:27
Welcome to Zirla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bot13
Well, I heard about it 3 days ago when someone wrote a fanfic about it
And yesterday a girl in my class sayd she was going to watch The Ring, and I was like 'WTF, how do you know what that iz!!!1'
Tell her to by a Ringu DVD, and watch that instead of watching The Ring.
Old 2005-03-14, 20:30
LBA fan

The Teletubbies version was the most entertaining.
Old 2005-03-14, 20:32
Welcome to Zirla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medur
The Teletubbies version was the most entertaining.
Yes, exactly. But the Ring wasn't meant to be entertaining, wasn't it?
Old 2005-03-14, 20:45
Magic Ball Master

I think was meant to be entertaining. That's what entertainmnet's for.
Old 2005-03-14, 20:48
Welcome to Zirla!

Just a message for all those, who voted the American remake, and didn't watch it: Watch it, before you vote. How can you be so sure, that it's so much better, if you don't even know, what the Ring is.

- morshem: Not only a movie. What started the Ring series, were the novels: Ring, then Rasen (the Spiral; its sequel), and the last part, Loop. The Ring novel was written in the end of the 80's. Then, the two TV movies were made, and then came Nakata's Ringu movie. And now we also have an American remake (as well, as a Korean one), of which the sequel (The Ring twO) will be in cinemas from March 18th on. I also read rumors about a Bollywood (Hindi) remake, that's to be made, but it's still very uncertain. But I promise I will find out more about the Bollywood remake of the Ring.

- LBAWinOwns: And thus you voted Ring: Saishuushou?

- Moderators and/or administrators: Add two options to the poll, please: "I don't know, what the Ring is.", and 'I'm undecided.".
Old 2005-03-14, 20:50
Welcome to Zirla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DedalousDiggle
I think was meant to be entertaining. That's what entertainmnet's for.
Yes, but Ringu is a thriller, it's meant to make suspense, and The Ring is a teenage horror movie, and it's meant to scare the sh*t out of American teenagers.
Old 2005-03-14, 21:21
weee

Actually horror movies are also meant to be entertaining. Otherwise no one would watch them.
Old 2005-03-14, 21:55
Still in a dream...

Lol, Obras, most films are made to be entertaining. Thrill is a form of entertainment, just like horror or shocker or action.
Old 2005-03-14, 22:51
Welcome to Zirla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBrasilo
OK, after some discussions, I decided to create a thread, about which version of the Ring you prefer.
Let's go back on-topic, please.

BTW, Fishos, tranks for editing the poll.
Old 2005-03-14, 23:29
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
I never watched this film. Not all films are done for entertaining, but The Ring doesn't seem to be a film with a very special meaning or deepness, so I guess it's entertainment.
Old 2005-03-14, 23:41
Welcome to Zirla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav Sweden
I never watched this film. Not all films are done for entertaining, but The Ring doesn't seem to be a film with a very special meaning or deepness, so I guess it's entertainment.
Yes, exactly. Well... The Ring not, but Ringu has a very special meaning, and a deepness, so it's more, than just entertainment. BTW, why did you vote The Ring?
Old 2005-03-14, 23:42
Welcome to Zirla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBrasilo
Yes, exactly. Well... The Ring not, but Ringu has a very special meaning, and a deepness, so it's more, than just entertainment. BTW, why did you vote The Ring?
Actually, what have you voted for?
Old 2005-03-15, 00:18
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via AIM to StarmanDX Send a message via MSN to StarmanDX
wasn't there a Ringu 2?
Old 2005-03-15, 00:50
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

I like this ring www.thering.se
Old 2005-03-15, 12:52
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
To all the lovely people who asked "WTF IS THE RING?!!!!111"
Obrasilo clearly wrote "ringu -japanese movie", so what the fuck do you think it is?

I like The Ring better.
And if you start telling me i'm like your mother again, obras, i'll take over your account again.

Also, ringu and the ring had the same fucking plot.
I can assure you there was no hidden deepness in ringu that was missed in The Ring.

And how the fuck is The Ring a "Teenage horror movie", if none of the main characters are fucking teenagers?
Can't you think before you write something?

(note to all those who think i'm grumpy: obrasilo was practicaly harassing me on #lba for prefering The Ring over Ringu, he said I was biased against japanese movies, and that i'm like his mother. I don't like being compared to someone who brought obrasilo to this world.)
Old 2005-03-15, 16:25
Welcome to Zirla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin
to someone who brought obrasilo to this world.)
This is very rude, you know. Nether I nor my mother are bad people. Just because I'm annoying, it doens't mean I'm bad. There's a great difference between annoying and bad. And, "brought me to this world"? I have a right to be here, the same as you. If you don't like me, OK. But don't talk, like this. I admit it: I don't like you, but I don't regret you being here. You're here on this world, so am I, and it's not a bad thing at all. Besides, my mother is a better person, than you are. He's much wiser than you. I'd be lucky, if I was compared to a person, like her. Don't you think you're taking too hard? If I'm not wrong, we solved this question, so why the fuck are you bringing it on again?

Quote:
And if you start telling me i'm like your mother again, obras, i'll take over your account again.
I won't, don't worry. I won't lose any more of my precious energy at people like you (sorry, if I'm rude, but you were rude in your post too).

Quote:
Also, ringu and the ring had the same fucking plot.
I can assure you there was no hidden deepness in ringu that was missed in The Ring.
The same fucking plot? Hell, I think you didn't watch Ringu well. Where did you see the fucking range with some horses in Ringu? Ringu's plot was (IMO, of couse) much better than The Ring's plot. Also, Ringu treats the cursed videotape as an urban legent, while The Ring treats it as a way to make a mother more motherly, and this is a great difference.

Quote:
(note to all those who think i'm grumpy: obrasilo was practicaly harassing me on #lba for prefering The Ring over Ringu, he said I was biased against japanese movies, and that i'm like his mother. I don't like being compared to someone who brought obrasilo to this world.)
Anakin, I'm sorry for that. I overreacted, I admit it. But can't we just put a stone over it?

Quote:
And how the fuck is The Ring a "Teenage horror movie", if none of the main characters are fucking teenagers?
Can't you think before you write something?
Actually, the term "teenage horror movie" has nothing to do with main character. I was referring to the fact, that, while Ringu was made for a serious audience, The Ring was made mainly for teenagers, thus the attempt to scare the sh*t ot ouf you at each and every single moment of the movie, instead of having a nice, suspenseful story, which leaves you wondering in the end (The Ring explained everyting, and thus I ask: WTF will The Ring twO say?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarmanDX
wasn't there a Ringu 2?
Yes, of course. These are the Japanese Ringu movies, that were made: Ringu, Rasen (official sequel to Ringu), Ringu 2 (alternate sequel, not based on a novel), Ringu Ø: Birthday.
The American remake now also has a sequel: The Ring twO, which will soon be in cinemas (March 18th, to be precise).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foecrusher
I like this ring www.thering.se

A metal band! Rock and metal rule!
Old 2005-03-16, 04:40
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to johnnybrubacker
ringu is a boring movie with a boring ending. ring is a boring movie with a half shocking ending
Old 2005-03-16, 09:58
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybrubacker
ringu is a boring movie with a boring ending. ring is a boring movie with a half shocking ending
OMG they have the same fucking ending ._.