Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and it's world.

Old 2016-11-21, 23:17
Quetching a Mr.

Twinsun Programming Of LBA1 and 2

This may have been asked before, but were LBA1 and 2 all written in ASM code? Or were they written in C? I know that the developers used their own programs, but those could have been written in either ASM or C. Technically speaking, C involves ASM - C just makes it easier rather than only working with registers in ASM. It'd be cool to see the source code for either game, and then to be able to learn from it.

Thanks.
Old 2016-11-22, 04:33
FreemanQC

Send a message via MSN to gravel22
I already asked Fred for the source code and he was open to the idea but now Fred looks busy and doesn't reply to my last email.
Little Big Adventure Former World Record Holder (53:40:80) see on Twitch below

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Old 2016-11-22, 11:27
Magic Ball Master

Both codes have been written in C with performance code in ASM.
There are quite a few low level code in the game, but I think its mainly in LBA1. The overall is C.

Your best choice at this stage is to look at TwinEngine implementations on github.
You have the reverse engineer implementation as well as the ResidualMV LBA1 and LB2 implementation.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2016-11-22, 23:14
Quetching a Mr.

You guys are awesome. Thanks so much for the answers.

So, Xesf, would it be possible to using the code, change something, recompile it, and then play LBA1 or 2 to see what changed? Or is the implementation not that far yet?

Edit: Just looked at some code, and found this in the "renderer.c" file:

#define POLYGONTYPE_FLAT 0
#define POLYGONTYPE_COPPER 1
#define POLYGONTYPE_BOPPER 2
#define POLYGONTYPE_MARBLE 3
#define POLYGONTYPE_TELE 4
#define POLYGONTYPE_TRAS 5
#define POLYGONTYPE_TRAME 6
#define POLYGONTYPE_GOURAUD 7
#define POLYGONTYPE_DITHER 8

This is something that I've always wanted to try on the models. I've tried hex-editing the models in the past, but have never found the value for drawing different types of polygons. Is there a way I can get this to work? I've noticed that there is no option in the LBAnimator program that you've made Xesf. I've only been able to change poly colors.

There is a lot to look at, and it's very interesting.

Last edited by MrQuetch; 2016-11-22 at 23:42.
Old 2016-11-24, 22:58
Magic Ball Master

You can change, but you can end up with weird graphic glitchs.
In LBA1 engine the rendering is the tricky part, because is all software rendering and still buggy.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.

Old 2016-11-27, 03:51
Quetching a Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xesf View Post
You can change, but you can end up with weird graphic glitchs.
In LBA1 engine the rendering is the tricky part, because is all software rendering and still buggy.
Hmmm... Is there a way around the graphic glitches?
Old 2016-11-27, 15:45
Magic Ball Master

Nop, but is normal, because each polygon type expects a specific type of data not available in the model if you play with it. Few of them work together others don't.

Old 2016-11-28, 19:06
Quetching a Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xesf View Post
Nop, but is normal, because each polygon type expects a specific type of data not available in the model if you play with it. Few of them work together others don't.
Would it make sense if you hex-ed a file in a specific way that it'd be possible to get those polygon types that aren't there? Like just changing the indices? I'd think it'd be possible for every model - just a matter of knowing where everything is placed. You're probably right though - you seem to know more about the code than anyone else.
Old 2016-11-28, 19:35
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
I have the source code for the compression algorithms used, got the LZSS (LBA 1 compression) source code from Yaz0r and LZMIT (LBA 2 compression) from Frédérick Raynal himself... the former is entirely in C and the latter is in a combination of C++ and assembly (it also has a C version of the assembly code but it's #ifdef'd out). I also have the decompression code that elmuerte gave me, which he got from Frédérick Raynal and it's in C from what I remember.

Also, Japanese LBA 1 for PC has a file that includes the descriptions of all HQR files and a path to the source code, as well as a file with defines.
Old 2016-11-29, 04:52
Quetching a Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
I have the source code for the compression algorithms used, got the LZSS (LBA 1 compression) source code from Yaz0r and LZMIT (LBA 2 compression) from Frédérick Raynal himself... the former is entirely in C and the latter is in a combination of C++ and assembly (it also has a C version of the assembly code but it's #ifdef'd out). I also have the decompression code that elmuerte gave me, which he got from Frédérick Raynal and it's in C from what I remember.

Also, Japanese LBA 1 for PC has a file that includes the descriptions of all HQR files and a path to the source code, as well as a file with defines.
Holy crap! That's so awesome! It's amazing just how much information has already spread. That is all really cool.

Battler, would you know how to change the polygon types for the game? Do you program at all? Or did you just retrieve all of this as time went on? Either way, I'm really impressed with all of that.

Tags
engine, game, lba1, lba2, program