Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2012-02-04, 13:24
Magic Level: Fire Ball

A thought about Sendell

It just occourred to me, but... Isn't Sendell a bit selfish?
I mean, she guides Twinsen to his quest and he eventually ends up saving his world and defeating the bad guy, but think about it: in LBA1 she summoned Twinsen only when it became obvious that Funfrock was after the stellar entity. What if Funfrock had no interest in that and was just ok with being a dictator without having a god complex?
Maybe selfish is a bit too much, but I get the feeling that for Sendell protecting the stellar entity is the highest priority and the well being of Twinsun's inhabitants is just a bonus.

What do you think?
Old 2012-02-04, 13:25
Magic Level: Red Ball

Send a message via ICQ to ras maxim
Sendell isn't a person, it is the Soul of the World. It cannot be selfish.
Old 2012-02-04, 13:32

It's only a matter of perspective. In her opinon it may not be selfish, because the Sendells role is to guard the stellar entity that is growing inside Twinsun, which so far implied protecting Twinsun as well. What if Sendell had to choose between saving Twinsun and its people and the stellar entity? It's heavily implied that Twinsun is effectively just a shell to contain the stellar entity until it's complete.
Also, in LBA2 Twinsen was on his own quest until the emperor activated the lunar reactor, only then Sendell appeared because the Stellar Entity was yet again in danger.

Last edited by Lawrence; 2012-02-04 at 13:41.
Old 2012-02-04, 18:32
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
In terms of direct action it does seem selfish - or at least selfless towards the stela entity only.
However, it could be argued in terms of indirect action, Twinsens very quests are because of Sendel. Twinsen could be seen as her physical extension, she acts via him except when absolutely needed.
Old 2012-02-07, 03:07
this's longer than allowe

I have another one: have you noticed how Twinsen is very simillar to the word TWINSUN?? how about that?!
Old 2012-02-07, 03:18
Polly parrot

That's because Twinsen is the son of Twinsun (I don't remember where i saw that).
Old 2012-02-07, 10:44

Yeah, Fred said so in an interview years ago. Like "Andersen" means "son of ander", Twinsen means "son of twinsun"
Old 2012-02-07, 14:58
Magic Level: Green Ball

Does it follow that Hun Sen, the Prime minister of Cambodia, is a son of the (unique) empty string?
Old 2012-02-07, 15:26
Polly parrot

I'd say if sen means son in his language, then it's probably intended to mean that.
Old 2012-02-10, 18:34
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Hun Sen has nothing to do with this -sen, neither does Sun Yat Sen the founder of the Republic of China. This -sen here (ex. Andrsen but also Twinsen) is a germanic prefix meaning "son", and etymologically related to the word "son" instead and stems from the old Germanic patronymic system where the children's last name is derived from the father's first name. This system is still in use in Iceland, where when a guy named Jón has two children, a boy named Eirikr and a girl named Ásta, their full names will be Eirikr Jónsson and Ásta Jónsdottir respectively (son meaning son obviosly, and dottir meaning daughter). And a lot of the last names in other Germanic country (Germany, Sweden, etc.) still recall that system, even in English-speaking countries. The -sen form likely originates from the danish and norwgian words for son, which are søn and sønn (ø in danish is pronounced like ö in Icelandic, Swedish or German), respectively, and an ø to e transition is easy and plausible.

Though the correct patronymic form of Twinsun would be Twinsunssen or Twinsunsson, but well, Twinsen looks better so I can see why they chose that.
Old 2012-02-10, 20:08
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Though the correct patronymic form of Twinsun would be Twinsunssen or Twinsunsson, but well, Twinsen looks better so I can see why they chose that.
I bet Authors revealed that didnt continue!

Twinsunsenson!
Old 2012-02-14, 20:34
Polly parrot

Yeah, it means Arthur's true name is Twinsensen.

That was my next question by the way, how do you call the son of Andersen ?
Old 2012-02-14, 22:19
You Only Live Twice

Send a message via AIM to Twinsan Send a message via MSN to Twinsan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post

or more correctly put twinsunssenssen son of twinsunssen son of twinsun XD JK
Old 2012-02-14, 22:28
strange dreamer

Quote:

McAndersen ?

(afaik, Mc/Mac is also used for this purpose).
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2012-03-03, 12:40
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
McAndersen ?

(afaik, Mc/Mac is also used for this purpose).
Where is that? The "Mc" prefix denotes you're family of a clan.
Or in my case, nothing as I made it up.

I think Sendell isn't really selfish, but she just cannot interfere with everything that happens on the planet(s). Only the most important things, that endanger the stellar entity, require divine help. The ball of Sendell says "It also enables Sendell to contact you, in case of danger." Its not like Sendell will keep Dinofly from being hurt when he falls, or something like that. She does protect Twinsen however, he never actually dies or get hurt seriously. Crashlanding on Citadel Island for instance throws Twinsen out of the shuttle and all that happens to him is that he is unconscious, and even just for a very few seconds.

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items
Words come in all sizes. But even if they fit you,
they might not come at appropriate times.

Good for everyone is finding yourself first,
and then the good in others second.

Last edited by J McKalling; 2012-03-03 at 12:48.
Old 2012-03-03, 20:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
Hun Sen has nothing to do with this -sen, neither does Sun Yat Sen the founder of the Republic of China. This -sen here (ex. Andrsen but also Twinsen) is a germanic prefix...
Really, Battler, I see I have trouble in getting across geeky jokes... Anyway, I appreciate you being informative.

J McKalling: I just thought of a funny parallel: imagine your body is a planet with lots of inhabitants and you are its god. Its inhabitants would probably find you selfish sometimes, e.g. your liver when you're getting drunk etc.
Old 2012-03-03, 21:40
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by draugluin View Post
J McKalling: I just thought of a funny parallel: imagine your body is a planet with lots of inhabitants and you are its god. Its inhabitants would probably find you selfish sometimes, e.g. your liver when you're getting drunk etc.
Haha, me a planet.
In the morning, I wake up. I yawn out really hard, and hurricanes blow trees off their roots and damages the inhabitants buildings. I take a deep zip of water to wetten my mouth, which causes tidal waves that completely destroy different lands every day. Then I'm so full of it I have to pee, and acid rain makes short work of the crops and plants that inhabitants grow for their farming needs. After a nice breakfast (tectonic plates movement), major earthquakes destroy the remaining buildings that weren't damaged by the hurricanes. Then I take a jog to stretch the legs, which makes the planet turn faster and disrupt the magnetic field so half of the population instantly falls sick and diseased by solar waves. After that nice run I take a short break and turn on my television, which causes a worldwide blackout of all electricity (I have a big tv). So yeah, my inhabitants wouldn't be too happy about me.

*Edit:
Don't forget about my bad moods: when I get so angry that I spit fire, volcanos blow up and lava burns down whole cities. I don't know what would happen if I get drunk though, as I never drink alcohol.

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items

Old 2012-03-08, 20:24
Magic Level: Antimatter

on-topic (a little more)
how will the stelar entity get out of the planet whitout destroying it, or al least making it unhabitable?
sendell just cares for the entity, not the inhabitants of the surface (unless they can help protect the entity)
Old 2012-03-08, 20:35

Yeah, like a dog doesn't care for its fleas xD
Old 2012-03-08, 20:46
Polly parrot

Which means that life on Twinsun is totally independant from Sendell an irrelevant to her. They don't give a damn except when one of them tries to enter
They do are selfish...
Old 2012-03-08, 23:19
Magic Ball GrandMaster

But all joking aside, all inhabitans of Twinsun are actually part of the world, the magical world, that resembles Sendell. Sendell is not only the planet, she is the people too.Or, the people are Sendell too. Whatever. Anyway it is the people too that Sendell cares about, because they are part of her, and her world.

Not to be compared with dogs and its flees, but more like the president and his country. Okay, maybe bad example.

Old 2012-03-09, 01:03
Polly parrot

Then, how will the stellar entity come out of it's center ? And what would be the planet after having lost it's purpose ?
Old 2012-03-09, 01:20

Quote:
Then, how will the stellar entity come out of it's center ? And what would be the planet after having lost it's purpose ?
My point exactly. I wonder if this could be a plot point in LBA3. I can see that... Twinsen having to choose between trusting in Sendell and take the risk of putting his own world at stake or disobeying to the goddess that lead him through his quests. Also put Funfrock in there for good measure and make him question Sendell's intentions to mislead Twinsen, some moral conflict is good :P
Of course he'd say that for his own profit, he's Funfrock. But how do we know that Twinsun won't be harmed by the birth of the Stellar Entity? We don't even know anything about its purpose. Again, Sendell only appears to show concern when the Entity is in danger, not the planet itself. She appeared in Twinsen's dreams only when Funfrock started digging the Well in Polar Island. While she probably cares about the planet and its inhabitants, I can't help but wonder what would happen if she had to choose between the Stellar Entity and Twinsun.
Old 2012-03-09, 01:23
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Quote:
Hmm, I don't remember a lot about the stellar entity plot, but continuing on what I remember:
When I first came to that point in the plot, I tried to translate it into another language to try and figure aout what was actually meant. English wasn't the native tongue of the developers, so there might have been translation errors in it. Besides, I didn't fully understand.

And so far, I still don't exactly understand, but it looks to me that there is some kind of spiritual entity in the core of the planet, that is protected by Sendell, and is growing yet. Until I fully understand what is meant, possibly in a sequel or reboot, I can't really say.

I think the entity could be set free from the core of the planet, if it isn't the planet itself for starters, and could play a role in the magic of the world. But we know too little about it yet.

Old 2012-03-09, 10:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by J McKalling View Post
Hmm, I don't remember a lot about the stellar entity plot, but continuing on what I remember:
When I first came to that point in the plot, I tried to translate it into another language to try and figure aout what was actually meant. English wasn't the native tongue of the developers, so there might have been translation errors in it. Besides, I didn't fully understand.

And so far, I still don't exactly understand, but it looks to me that there is some kind of spiritual entity in the core of the planet, that is protected by Sendell, and is growing yet. Until I fully understand what is meant, possibly in a sequel or reboot, I can't really say.

I think the entity could be set free from the core of the planet, if it isn't the planet itself for starters, and could play a role in the magic of the world. But we know too little about it yet.
Well, yeah. We don't know anything about it, but you can't rule out the possibility of its birth being dangerous to the planet. For example, why does the planet EXPLODE when Funfrock enters the well and tries to take the Stellar Entity for himself? (happens in Twinsen's dream and in the bad ending) Maybe the planet DEPENDS on the Stellar Entity to survive.