Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > First aid
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

First aid The forum for getting help to run or complete the LBA games. Note: could contain spoilers.

Old 2009-08-30, 14:57
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Hey people! back for a little help.. I'm playing LBA 1-I'm at the start of the northern hemisphere and an elf told me that i should get a blue card on the White Leaf Dessert and I dont know how to get back to the South?
Old 2009-08-30, 16:58
Magic Ball Master

You're not on the northern hemisphere. When you go through the hole at the rabbibunny village you get back to the southern part of the hamalayi. Don't worry, that's what's supposed to happen.

In this scene, get the key for the gate in the fence from one of the guards, then get outside the fence and leave the scene on the left near the tree.

You should end up back here, on the right side: Now exit that scene on the far left side to get to the catamaran dock.

Once you've got the Blue Card, don't go back to the prison as before, just go to the right side again and use the hole.
Old 2009-12-24, 09:23
First time poster

For those struggling to get LBA1 working on a Mac Re. NO CD problems (disk image split into game data and music), it's possible to create an .iso image using the terminal utility dd, see e.g.:

http://www.slashdotdash.net/2006/08/...-x-tiger-10-4/

This will create a image of the whole disk, not just one part of it. The image can then be mounted in DOSBox using imgmount, e.g.

imgmount d {insert appropriate path here}/ADELINE.iso -t iso
Old 2009-12-26, 18:35

Non-midi sound?

Hello all!

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed that all the music is in MIDI? I seem to recall all the music being synthesized a little nicer than this... is there any chance of getting the nicer sounding music files?

Thanks in advance!
Old 2009-12-26, 19:03
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilzorz View Post
Hello all!

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed that all the music is in MIDI? I seem to recall all the music being synthesized a little nicer than this... is there any chance of getting the nicer sounding music files?

Thanks in advance!
Do you hear voices in the game?
The floppy disk version of LBA only has midi music and no voices. Also no videos.
Old 2009-12-26, 19:15

I hear voices (lol) and have all the videos working properly. As far as I can tell everything works properly, except for the music (which seems to be just midi).

I've tried a few sound and music configurations in the setup file. The soundblaster 16 seems to just run the midi with reverb effects.

I'm running a downloaded ISO of the file (I have the CD... but I think it might be a little unusable\old), dosbox 0.73. Decently new laptop computer (new directx, v11), and Windows 7.

Approximate specs:
Nvidea Geforce 6150
1 G Ram
AMD 64 bit processor
Old 2009-12-26, 20:38
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
I used the configuration described in the guide, and as far as I remember the music is fine...
Old 2009-12-26, 22:37

Well I would say its fine, except for I remember it being much better.
Old 2009-12-26, 23:43
Magic Ball Master

The music should be like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QECdKDMYIo

(Watch it in high quality for stereo sound)
Old 2009-12-27, 14:10

lol, this reminds me of the time I first played LBA 1. It was a downloaded floppy version, I used FunnyFrog's LBA 1 patch to run it, and there were no sounds at all. So in order to get into the atmosphere, I put in the background midi music from the game which I downloaded from the MBN
Old 2009-12-29, 07:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
The music should be like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QECdKDMYIo

(Watch it in high quality for stereo sound)
Indeed. How does one get this working . I've fooled around with the sound settings, and I can only seem to get midi working!
Old 2009-12-29, 17:00

In emergency case, try the solution I proposed above, only with the "normal" music
Old 2009-12-29, 18:50

Sound problem

Anyone else have this problem\know of any solutions?
Old 2010-02-02, 05:45

I've got LBA2 running in Dosbox but it's a bit slow and choppy, i can only run it in a window and its a bit slow, this is with the cpu cycles at max, can't run it in fullscreen due to the slowness. My laptop is pretty new, Via Nano 1.6Ghz, 2GB RAM.

Anything I can do?
Old 2010-02-02, 14:06
weee

If anything fullscreen should be faster, unless you change the fullresolution. If fullscreen makes it slower, it's probably an output problem. Edit dosbox.conf and change output to ddraw.
Old 2010-02-03, 03:15

I changed the outout in the dosbox.conf to ddraw and now I can play it in full screen, it runs like it did in the window, fairly well but still a tiny bit choppy/skippy, particulary when there is a camera change.

Is there anything else I can do? If not I suppose this is good enough to play.

One other thing, I setup my shortcut and it works except for going to fullscreen, what did I get wrong, here it is:

"C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.73\dosbox.exe" -c "mount d F:\ -t cdrom - label LBA2 -ioct1 -usecd 1" -c "mount c C:\LBA" -c "C:" -c "cd\lba2" -c "lba2 -fullscreen" -c "exit"
Old 2010-02-03, 10:02
weee

It's ioctl, not ioct1. And it's -c "lba2" -fullscreen, not -c "lba2 -fullscreen".

There are probably some edits you can make to dosbox.conf to make it run faster, but I'm not sure exactly what. You can try playing with the options a little.
Old 2010-02-04, 03:47
First time poster

Twinsen Woohoo

GUYS I THINK I FOUND OUT WHAT TO DO WITH LBA2!!! I have vista btw. In DOSbox I just clicked text drivers in up. Then I thought my Cd is in E: and I pressed it. From there i selected mount as CD-ROM and from there i selected Little Big Adventure 2 CD Not the file! CD driver then I tried and it worked!!!! SO SIMPLE!!! I hope it works with you too! I tried everything else before this and so simple thing worked! WTF!?
Old 2010-02-04, 10:59
weee

OMG YaY!!
Old 2010-02-05, 09:39

Okay, so after several hours of trying to get an ISO to work (both games) without "no cd" errors, I've found a solution that works for me in linux.

1)I used Brasero (gnome cd burning application) to make a bin/cue copy of the original CD.

2)I used iat to convert the .bin file to a .iso file.

I also ripped the audio tracks, encoded them as .ogg, and made a custom .cue file that referenced the .iso from step 2), and all the .ogg tracks as the audio tracks. For example, "imgmount d relent.cue -t iso". The audio tracks have to be in the same directory as the iso and cue files.

I now have both games working with CD audio (well, ogg isn't quite CD quality but it works just fine ) without using the actual CD's. I have to use more space this way though, since the images are 415MB for lba1 and 571MB for lba2.

For some reason using mkisofs or brasero to make an ISO from the data files you get with the cd mounted in linux doesn't work. Only making a bin/cue copy and THEN converting it to .iso seems to work, at least for me. Otherwise I get "no cd".

I hope this helps anyone who is trying to get this game to work in linux, with CD audio. I didn't think it was possible before today.

...and for any linux user's reference, this was all done with a Debian Lenny installation.
Old 2010-04-28, 10:58
The only Belgian Sphero

Send a message via MSN to fanlba Send a message via Yahoo to fanlba
Hi ! I have a small problem. I install the game (in french) with dosbox, no problems. I copy the VOX folder and in game the vox are in English (and subtitles in french). It's not a problem but i would try to have the game only in French and when I keep only the french vox files in my VOX folder my game crashes like this :

Spoiler:

EDIT : I have installed now LBA2. After installation i run the game and i can play normally. I leave the game and when i want to launch again he asks me to insert the cd (but the cd is there) ... I restart windows but it changes nothing :s

Last edited by fanlba; 2010-04-28 at 12:24.
Old 2010-05-01, 12:05
The only Belgian Sphero

Send a message via MSN to fanlba Send a message via Yahoo to fanlba
For LBA2, it was a mistake but now that i can enter in the game, i have the music but no voice :s I don't know what i have to do to resolve this problem I have an other problem, i can't save :s When i want to save my game nothing appears (no automatic save too :s )
I need help

Last edited by fanlba; 2010-05-01 at 12:22.
Old 2010-07-23, 15:42
Cap'm

Send a message via AIM to Blues
After all of these years, I would like to thank you ChaosFish! Because of you and others, we can enjoy these games still.
Old 2010-07-28, 16:27

So guys after COUNTLESS issues despite patches/fixes trying to run the game normally on Win7 I decided to try the DOSBox method. Now its all set up fine and after I initially installed it I got to play it straight away so everything was good.

However, after setting up the shortcut I now cant get past the initial screen where it constantly tells me ''Please insert the CD''. The CD is in but its just not recognising it.

I've tried mounting the image and then trying it but it still isnt working, any ideas? Its very frustrating to have every little thing go wrong...

Edit:
Nevermind! It was an issue in the shortcut. I had 'TWINSEN' written where 'LBA2' should have been. That fixed it up perfectly. Now the sounds correct, the car drives and nothing lags! Woooooooot.

Last edited by tauntedflail; 2010-07-28 at 16:45.
Old 2010-07-29, 21:20

I won't read the whole thread, so I'll just ask here. What do I do when I have installed the game just the way the guide says and when I try to run the game it asks for the cd?
Yes I do have a original copy of the game.

Tags
dosbox