Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2009-11-13, 18:07
LBA fan

MP3 players

I can't decide on whether I get an iPod Classic or iPod Touch.

The Touch has lots of nice features, and it comes with a whole development environment full of interesting possibilities.

The Classic has a lot more space for the same price, and it looks more resistent (also, its battery lasts longer).

Or perhaps I shouldn't get an iPod at all, surely there are other nice players around.

What do you guys recommend? Does anybody have an iPod Touch? Do you actually use those silly programs? (Note: the Touch lacks the iPhone's camera and 3G.) Can it replace an iPod Classic?
Old 2009-11-13, 18:46
Member #174

Send a message via MSN to Assassin
I used to have a Classic untill it got stolen. Now I just use my phone. I liked the classic though, never really missed anything. There's more games and stuff on the iPod Touch like you said, but if you need something to play your music, Classic is better I think.
Old 2009-11-13, 18:56
You what?!

If you've never had either and money isn't a problem (I believe Classic is slightly cheaper?), then go for the iTouch. I found it a little strange to get used to but that was because I had a iMini for a few years. Now I've got used to it, it's really nice to use. The apps are fun when you're out and about and want to throw stickmen around or do a marble maze to kill some time.
Old 2009-11-13, 19:10
Magic Ball Master

I'm using my Blackberry as an MP3 player. The Storm2 comes with a 16GB microSD card. It can handle a variety of formats as well. But since it doubles as my phone, notebook, etc., it might be more feature-laden than you're looking for.

Personally, my brother has a cheap (by comparison) Coby MP3 player, which does the job quite nicely, and has reasonable space. Honestly, I think you should head to a shop and try them out in person, that's the best way with these sort of electronics.
Old 2009-11-13, 19:22
LBA2 Maestro

iPod, never buy it.

I have an Archos 5 Internet Media Tablet and a Samsung Jet for music.
Old 2009-11-13, 19:23
Do the evolution.

I just use my Motorola E8 ROKR phone.

Sound quality is pretty sweet, two gigs of internal memory, and a microsd card slot. Would be awesome if my sisters dog didn't chew on my headphones reducing them to a single headphone cripple.

Last edited by Jasiek; 2009-11-13 at 19:35.
Old 2009-11-13, 19:51
Idyllic + whimsical

I personally have an iPod Photo for 4.5 years now, so I'm fond of the Classic series.
A friend of mine has the iTouch and I played around with it, and I can't say I found all those extras too useful. Seemed like something that would please a gadgets loving guy or a teenager, other than that only the wifi looks like is worth anything.

On the other hand, if you find an iTouch with sufficient memory and a nice price, maybe you should go for it. Sure, you can get more on the Classic, but would you use it? In my case I have 60GB and I still have about 10GB left, and because of the size it's not really practical to use it as a memory stick (and also I have a separate 16GB memory stick), so it's just wasted space.

Bottom line: if you don't really need the extra space or the price is right or you feel like being modern or whatever, go for the iTouch. It might be nice to have if you don't have a smart phone to give you some apps you might want on the road.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2009-11-13, 19:58
Magic Ball Master

iPod Classic is good if you just want (a lot of) music.
iPod Touch is good if you want to be able to watch video as well, and like fancy stuff.

I've had a 30GB iPod Photo for years, and I'd probably want a similar model (iPod Classic) if I were to replace it. I've sort of gotten used to the idea of having less storage available though, and I could probably live with 16/32GB of storage. The iPod Classic seems robust and simple to use. I'm on my bike a lot so I need to be able to easily handle it with one hand; something that seems hard with an iPod Touch. The iPod Touch seems sort of a decapitated iPhone though, not sure if I would be comfortable with it.

I'm ok with iPod. I'm even using iTunes these days. Mass storage file support would be nice, though.
Old 2009-11-13, 22:03
LBA2 Maestro

I've got this thing.

It's has a nice 5 inch touch screen, and most important of all, 120GB.
There is also a 250GB version, wich costs 30 euro's more.
It really has some badass video playback functions with HD support (15 euros), it also features games, a DVR-Station (110 euros) wich I have, to connect with REALLY high quality to your TV, it even comes with a mouse pointer remote.

In total I spend 540 euros on this thing.
(speakers, charger, mini-version of DVR station, protective case.)
Old 2009-11-13, 23:05
Bamboo

Send a message via MSN to Jareth
I have an iPhone 3G with 16GB of memory and I'm satisfied. It has only few things iTouch lacks: camera, 3G and the mute-button and also the volume buttons. the new iTouch comes with a built-in camera, as far as I remember. I find the iPhone really good, 'cause I have everything I need in one device and can play with it a lot. I even have Windows 3.11 installed on it(which needs some tweaks to run smoothly) and 95, which is crap and runs only in safe-mode. My iPhone is jailbroken, though and it has some more options normal iPhone lacks.

Still, I do not recommend the 3G. If you really need something fancy, go for the new iTouch or the iPhone 3GS. It has more RAM and a more powerfull CPU and can run better graphics. It's harder to jailbreak, though. The decision is up to you
Old 2009-11-14, 00:41
LBA fan

iPod Classic 160GB - U$520

iPod Touch 8GB - U$393
iPod Touch 32GB - U$578
iPod Touch 64GB - U$723

1.72 R$ ~ 1 US$.

I think I'll get a Classic. It looks much more solid. I'm not sure an iPod Touch will last for years, but I believe a Classic definitely will. Also, it seems unpractical to develop for the iPhone/iTouch using Windows, which is a huge turn off for me. I'd have to jailbreak my device or whatever. I have a cool little gadget, why can't I code for it? Apple is fucking gay.

Oh and thanks guys for your suggestions! <3

Last edited by Medur; 2009-11-14 at 01:00.
Old 2009-11-14, 03:07
You what?!

Classic probably is the safer buy, in general. Seems like the right choice for you anyway.

What do you mean it's developed for Windows? It's compatible with iTunes anywhere? What OS do you use?
Old 2009-11-14, 03:14
Idot

Send a message via ICQ to Aule
I got an Ipod nano, its my third actually and i really like them. My first one was a 1st generation and i forgot to take it out of my pocket when i washed my jeans, but it survived going through the laundry.
Old 2009-11-14, 03:33
LBA fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitarii View Post
Classic probably is the safer buy, in general. Seems like the right choice for you anyway.

What do you mean it's developed for Windows? It's compatible with iTunes anywhere? What OS do you use?
I mean I can't write software for it. Apparently you can only do real programming for the iPhone if you use a Mac. The compiler/IDE/etc isn't available for Windows.
Old 2009-11-14, 14:45
You what?!

Oh right, gotcha. That never really affected me obviously, but I can see why that would be annoying.
Old 2009-11-14, 15:29
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Dont get a Touch to be an MP3 player.
Thats a bit like buying a laptop to look at photos :P
Old 2009-11-14, 18:07
You what?!

Old 2009-11-14, 18:55
Magic Ball Master